2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

BigAnt5050

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Post by BigAnt5050 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 am

Well seeing that the Mclawyer kid lives with me I think you shouldn't believe all the rumors. Lol wait to see Friday night then reevaluate your comment.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 am

TheFan wrote: I have watched all the teams play in some format except NH, including Los Al and my updated take.

1) Los Al, scrappy, well coached, impressed by the defense versus Poly. They want to run the ball and you must stop run to beat them. Not afraid to run some trick plays. Take chances on defense, get them to third and long.
2) A/B....CDM and Edison are very close. CDM more talent in some skill spots but Edison has better overall football players. Edison at the skills is not as talented as in the past and the O line is not as good as last year. Edison O line is a little bigger than CDM, but both are on the small side up front on D. I think Los Al can run on both so this is why I give them the edge.Edison LBs are very good, so I give Edison D the edge over CDM but CDM offense has the edge over Edison. This Edison team is not as good as the past few years, but well coached and who is not surprised.
4) It has to be FV at this point due to the rumor about HB running back. Big Ant word is his ankle is worse than just a sprain. Without him, FV moves in front of HB. FV is very up and down, quarter to quarter. Better up front on both sides than last year,can run the ball this season. Defense seems to bust a lot of assignments. A lot of clean up, a lot of speed on the back side. If they put together near perfect game, top three could be a battle.
5) HB is very scrappy but losing the RB and CB has hurt them. If they get him back healthy then they move up to the fourth spot. Defense is getting better week to week. Injury bug has hit them.
6) NH have not seen, should win this week against city team.
Hard to say w/ Los Al at this point. Poly offense was one of the worst I've seen from them in like...ever. Narbonne shut down their offense entirely. Sure, they put up 35 on Dorsey, but they're not really good either. I think Serra handles Poly easily this week. Might even be a running clock. Both Poly and Narbonne will be 1-3 after this week. If not for scheduling a weak PV team, Narbonne would be 0-5 heading into the Marine league waltz.

The most encouraging barometer is how Los Al's offense has played so far despite being short handed the first 2 weeks. Both Vista Murr and Poly have pretty tough defenses, and were bigger up front on both sides of the ball.

Defense should be fully healthy over the next couple weeks as well. They did a nice job prior to losing a few guys in the middle v. VM. A couple guys really standing out here in the early going. Scrappy is a good term to define those guys. A bunch of undersized guys with great motors. Tesoro should be a real good test before starting league.

FV really is a wild card, and I agree has a shot to take down one or all of the top 3. It's been 14 years since they rang the bell. This may very well be the year. They'll also be rested an extra week before starting league v. Los Al, and will have more 2 blow-out wins and sitting on a perfect 5-0 going into the game. It'll be a battle at Sheue.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:48 am

Bick, I agree FV has some talent but taking down all three...Well they did make weed legal. The issue will come down to if FV can play four good quarters instead one like the last couple weeks. WB had FV after the four FV turnovers and they just walked away with six points from the first quarter debacle.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:05 pm

Shocking yet not at Poly and Narbonne. Seems like they have some players but as a team or teamwork or coaching or I do not know what. Happy to see non the less LA take it to LBP and rep the Sunset.

Tesoro will be a very good barometer/test. Could be a OC sleeper team.

Haven't seen FV but there three wins are not against the most highly rated opponents. HB and FV have a real easy non league schedule.

Are we still talking about NH? That score last week was not a good sign for the Sailors.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:12 pm

The best part of the game was the last drive. Despite being upside down about 50# per man across the front, Los Al just ran it down their throats to close it out. It was one of those statement drives if you know what I mean. Billy Jack moment for those who remember that classic scene.

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:40 am

Billy Jack! "Gonna take this right foot..."

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:39 am

I watched Cajon v Murietta Valley. Man, that Cajon team is loaded. DIII opponents got it rough with them in the division. San Bernardino seems to be the place to find the talent these days.

Trenchdad

Post by Trenchdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:04 am

Banning @ Los Al (-44.5)
Irvine @ Hunt Bch (-29.5)
CDM @ Lakewood (+48.5)
University (LA) @ Newport Harbor (-41.5)*3
FV @ Rancho Dominguez (+59.5)
Edison @ San Juan Hills (+10.5)*5
San Clemente @ Murrieta Valley (+6.5)
Norco @ Vista Murrieta (+7.5)
Calabasas @ La Habra (+13.5)
Cathedral @ Loyola (+9.5)

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Banning @ Los Al (-44.5)
Irvine @ Hunt Bch (-29.5)
CDM @ Lakewood (+48.5)
University (LA) @ Newport Harbor (-41.5)
FV @ Rancho Dominguez (+59.5) 5*
Edison @ San Juan Hills (+10.5)
San Clemente @ Murrieta Valley (+6.5)
Norco @ Vista Murrieta (+7.5)
Calabasas @ La Habra (+13.5)
Cathedral @ Loyola (+9.5) 3*

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Los Al (3)
Irvine..
CDM
Harbor
FV(5)
SJH
SC
Norco
LH
Cathy

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Los Al
Hunt Bch
CDM
University (LA)
Rancho Dominguez
Edison 3*
Murrieta Valley 5*
Norco
La Habra
Loyola (+9.5)

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Banning
Irvine
Lakewood
Newport Harbor
Rancho Dominguez
San Juan Hills
Murrieta Valley
Norco 3*
La Habra 5*
Cathedral

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:44 am

Banning @ Los Al (-44.5) Banning
Irvine @ Hunt Bch (-29.5) Irvine
CDM @ Lakewood (+48.5) Lakewood
University (LA) @ Newport Harbor (-41.5) University
FV @ Rancho Dominguez (+59.5)Rancho 5*
Edison @ San Juan Hills (+10.5) San Juan
San Clemente @ Murrieta Valley (+6.5) San Clemente 3*
Norco @ Vista Murrieta (+7.5) Norco
Calabasas @ La Habra (+13.5) La Habra
Cathedral @ Loyola (+9.5) Loyola

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:10 pm

Ban
Irv
Lake
Uni
RD 3*
SJH
SC
Nor 5*
LH
Loy
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:43 am

Saw Los Al last night in person. They are my clear favorite to win league. CDM and Edison could beat Los Al...but Los Al is a 10 to 14 better than those team, Los Al front is better than CDM and Los Al has better athletes than Edison. I like what I saw. Well coached, good team speed especially on D, sound defense scheme and can run the ball. I am not a Fenton fan because I know his past very well, however his team can play. The go quick on offense and team is in very good shape. I would stop run first if I was playing them.
Banning is a shell of the past, check that a fragment of a shell, but Los Al executes. Los Al is much better than last year.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:58 am

If Los Al is "MUCH BETTER THAN LAST YEAR" then so is the shell of a Banning --:-- I know its hard to gauge exactly what happens in a blow out score but seems on paper LA beat them by more last year. Thanx for the "in person" analysis and I agree LA is the favorite based on the seasons performance to date.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 am

SK who Los Al was playing really did not matter to evaluate their athletes versus other Sunset Teams. I look at teams two ways, who has the 'most" good HS football players and then who has the match up advantage.
Clearly to me Los Al has more players than the rest of the league. It takes 9 good players to have a good team and 11 or 12 to have a championship team in the public high school arena..imo
Los Al did have a D End go down last night, could have been serious, when up 49-0.

My comment on Banning was more how the world has changed. They took a beat down in addition to getting out scored. Sometimes their 300 pound NG was driven off the ball 15 yards, by good scappy but not great blockers.
Banning O line was horrible...kids stood straight up and never stayed square, creating easy paths to the QB in throwing downs. It was horrible to watch, such an easy fix. Coach is down 21-0 in first qt and not slowing down his offense.

One last side note, I would be pissed if I was a Los Al parent, Fenton called for punt block when up 42-0. It resulted in a scoop and score. Los Al called for punt block again. What is the point? what did your team learn? What did Banning do to tick off Los Al that much? This is one of the many reasons I call, BS on all of Fenton's line Six crap, along with the other trails he has blazed ...There is no defense for blocking punts at that point other than your a big A...hole.

Bick

Post by Bick » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 am

Not sure how much or even if LA is better than last year. I thought this year's Banning team was better than LY. . They put up 62 last week and ran for nearly 300 yds. They've got a massive OL, and play with a lot of heart. They do struggle throwing the ball though. After 49-0 5 minutes into Q2, LA called off the dogs, and started emptying the bench, so you're right about it being tough to analyze thoroughly. But it was a pretty good first 17 minutes from the LA perspective.

TF - There was no punt block called from my chair. Banning had wide line splits, and EVERY interior lineman released at the snap. They didn't even get in the way of the 7 down linemen, and for some reason thought the 3 protectors would be able to stop 7 coming at them full speed. I've never seen anything like it. IF LA actually called a punt block and brought the house, they would not have gotten a single one off with their approach. Whatever your obsession is with bad mouthing Fenton is at nearly every post is growing old, and hurting your credibility. It's clouded your objectivity in this case.

Don't know if LA is the favorite to win the Sunset either. First 2 games were against down D1 teams. We'll have a better sense after Tesoro game, and after both CDM and Edison play San Clemente.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, Los AL top to bottom should be able to field the best team in Sunset on logistics, geography and enrollment size, I think Edison can match that and if a school like HB or FV get a program rolling may be able to step up as well. I am not sure CDM can match that based on what I just elaborated on. Regardless of how good their athletic department is across all sports, in football as you stated its 9, possibly 11-12 player deep game at this level to be the best or at the top.

It will be interesting to see going forward how the school deals with this. It is not a "destination" school by any means for players outside the area. There are many geographical and economical factors going against a future where kids are simply moving in to play football. If the Los Als and the Eds can simply do this it will be a year in and year out struggle for a small school like CDM.

And yes to your outline of Banning and it's coaching or lack of coaching. I've watched CDM out play, out hustle, out think and definitely out coach many a playoff team over the past few years that should have on size, skill alone beat them.

As for the last LA game are you saying Fenton purposely ran up the score?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am

OK Bick or Fan saw two different games going on in the same stadium! ROFL

@Bick, I have a thought on these games with big spreads in the pool. When you get lopsided affairs in which a team is 40+ faves maybe we shouldn't put them in the pool. Reason is there is no way to know if a coach is gonna call off the doges, simply speculation and doesn't really reflect the game. LA was favored by 40+ and scored that at will before the half yet they throw the score by allowing the slop we usually see in Q4's in such blow outs.

Honestly I would bet Los Al is at least 60 points better than Banning. But if I take Los Al based on that I will be wrong even when the spread is what 44? CDM might be (likely) better than Lakewood than the 40+ spread tonight, yet that is not what I am betting on it is whether O' Shea sits his starters again at the half or chooses to let them add to their personal stats. It's a coin flip and not much of a pre game analysis.

Just thinking out loud.... :thumbsup: