CDM vs Edison
I spent last Thursday watching them against San Clemente. It was a back and forth affair. For all purposes you could say either team could have won as you can lay that same claim for the CDM vs SC game. So from that stand point alone seems like all three are not more than a possession away from winning in a match-up.
Again CDM will have to overcome the road game against one of the OC's storied football programs. The epic come from behind win at D1 San Clemente was something this program has believed it could do for a few years now. Thursday night they get another chance to show they can play with some of the best publics in the county.
How do I think Edison will fare against Humphreys? Looking at how Costello did against them and CDM you will see a fairly equal nod to the pass defenses. CDM fared a bit better against the run. Actually it was Bradley Schlom whom SC couldn't stop and no doubt he will benefit from the double coverage J Hump gets. It was Schlom with the game winning catch with 11 seconds on the clock that won the game. CDM has a slew of receivers so i do not envy anyone in Sunset in coverage.
When you refer to the "other" guys is that other receivers or the rest of the team?
Sixth Man wrote:I have seen every team in the Sunset besides Newport play. CDM is the biggest on the Offensive and Defensive line. Every team in the sunset dresses all of their varsity and JV from what I've seen. You are not at a disadvantage.
Ok,,,,, you included CDM DL? There is not one kid in the CDM front 7 that weighs more than 210,,, look like most are converted LB,,,,quick? yes, big? Hell no lmao....
OL is nice but looks like every OL in the Sunset,,, couple 6 footers,,, one, maybe two kids over 250,,,,
Big reach 6th man,,,
1) Los Al, as I said a few weeks ago, clearly the best team in the Sunset. Far less flaws than the others. IMO they are 10 points better than any team. The only way the lose is they beat themselves or the football gods. I would stop run first against them. Take away right hand throws by rolling my coverage, take away screen, and try to get them to beat you throwing the ball. Defensively they are very quick to the ball. If you want to beat them, you have to be able to run the ball on them. Sleeper in D2 playoffs. Could make it to semis.
2) CDM, SK the enrollment thing is just BS...participation and funding are miles more important. CDM is not the biggest team up front in the league, FV could be pound for pound. The league is very small this year.
Beside the obvious, theyplay the game in a very smart manner and make you beat them. I too would establish run against them to control the clock. I would take away the big guys make others beat you. Clearly the second place team, only Edison and LA have a shot at beating.
3) Edison, they are down this year. Is it a trend I don't kown. However upfront they are not as good as years past, especially the D line. The backers are terrific but one is gone due to injury last week. The undersized Soph at QB
has flaws and I don't want to be personal but I will say bring pressure and contain. Stay in his face and your D will be fine. I believe you can throw the ball on them, couple DB's are not as good as the past. This is why I give CDM the slight nod over Edison.
4) HB. Coach Brown is getting the most out of what he got. Take away run, force them to score 24 on you throwing the ball. Bring pressure and take way tunnel screens. They have TE that will catch the ball down the middle, making formula to stop pass a little tougher, but still make QB beat you on long drives. On offense run the ball against them, thin up front.
5) FV, I think the lost of Coach Scott has had a great impact on the staff and team. Adelanto is rumored to have 20 transfers (new passing league coach) and has more talent than Los Al, with two D1 prospects. The CIF has their hands full with that program. Given the week FV had the boys played very well. FV has surprising talent but so far they can't come close to playing three good quarters and one ok quarter. If one of the top three catch them doing that then they may pull off the upset. FV has better talent than HB to beat any of the top three but they have been their own worse enemy. If they stop beating themselves it is a 7 point game against the top three.
6) Newport, props to the three wins, going to be tough to pick up anymore.
"it will be competitive but it looks like the league might not have a top 50 team in the state." ~ TheFan
Half way through appears we have two!
HB @ NH (+13.5)
Los Al @ FV (+35.5)
San Clemente @ Tesoro (-1.5) 5*
Sta Marg @ OLu (-10.5)
Calabasas @ Westlake (+12.5)
Downey @ Paramount (+2.5)
Bishop Amat @ Chaminade (+6.5)
St Francis @ Mayfair (+1.5) 3*
Redlands EV @ Cajon (-17.5)
That's a real tough loss for the Barons. The unsung heroes are the assistants.TheFan wrote: FV, I think the lost of Coach Scott has had a great impact on the staff and team. Adelanto is rumored to have 20 transfers (new passing league coach) and has more talent than Los Al, with two D1 prospects. The CIF has their hands full with that program. Given the week FV had the boys played very well. FV has surprising talent but so far they can't come close to playing three good quarters and one ok quarter. If one of the top three catch them doing that then they may pull off the upset. FV has better talent than HB to beat any of the top three but they have been their own worse enemy. If they stop beating themselves it is a 7 point game against the top three.
Interesting point about D13 Adelanto. Figured something was up with them being 5-0 after 0-9 last year.
Seems like Coach Nolan has established his brand of unpredictable / chaotic football, and upsets wouldn't be all that surprising. But, as you said, I think beating yourself also has a higher than normal degree of probability when you can't control the chaos. Few, if any, are successful in the long run with that approach - but it is entertaining to watch.
By the time Servite finally posted anything to MaxPreps, it was September 18th, and they were inaccurate on many stats. For example, on interceptions by Servite defenders, they show the team has made two interceptions on the year, when, in fact, Servite intercepted 4 passes in the Roosevelt game alone.
They also are, for unknown reasons, mixing in jv stats with the Varsity stats.
hit the lights
As for the Seahawks, yes the NEWPORT MESA SEAHAWKS is a local team and some of those kids will play at Newport-Mesa schools. I do not know the exact count on Seahawks on tis years CDM Varsity. I do know the Seahawks have been a dominating team and I know there are some Juniors and Sophomores at CDM that played for them.
So HTL, to answer your question at the end, no CDM does not use kids from outside the area unless you would like to loan us a few Highlanders anytime soon....!
HB @ NH (+13.5) HB 3*
Los Al @ FV (+35.5) LA
San Clemente @ Tesoro (-1.5) SC
Sta Marg @ OLu (-10.5) SM
Calabasas @ Westlake (+12.5) Calabasas
Downey @ Paramount (+2.5) Downey
Bishop Amat @ Chaminade (+6.5) Amat
St Francis @ Mayfair (+1.5) SF 25*
Redlands EV @ Cajon (-17.5) Cajon
HB @ NH (+13.5) HB
Los Al @ FV (+35.5) FV
San Clemente @ Tesoro (-1.5) SC 3*
Sta Marg @ OLu (-10.5) Olu
Calabasas @ Westlake (+12.5) Cal
Downey @ Paramount (+2.5) Down
Bishop Amat @ Chaminade (+6.5) Nade
St Francis @ Mayfair (+1.5) Mayfair
Redlands EV @ Cajon (-17.5) Cajon
Like I told Bick when he ask me about them 2 yrs ago, they are all smoke and mirrors, that's just my opinion though. As for the RB your speaking of, yes I've seen him play, he runs hard but let's see how he fairs in league. Have you seen any HB games? We got some guys that are playing some good ball also. Just for the record I wanted Arick to stay at FV, it was his choice to leave. But come by and say hello when we play FV, I'm always at the top on the 50 yrs line.
hit the lights
That is admin control, what happens is lower division coaches post their stats and then it is a mess, just have varsity post stats and roster and you will get correct info reported...hope that helps, if you can let staff know it will fix that problem...