2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

SK80

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Post by SK80 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:58 pm

#HandShake :thumbsup:

CDM vs Edison =D>

I spent last Thursday watching them against San Clemente. It was a back and forth affair. For all purposes you could say either team could have won as you can lay that same claim for the CDM vs SC game. So from that stand point alone seems like all three are not more than a possession away from winning in a match-up.

Again CDM will have to overcome the road game against one of the OC's storied football programs. The epic come from behind win at D1 San Clemente was something this program has believed it could do for a few years now. Thursday night they get another chance to show they can play with some of the best publics in the county.

How do I think Edison will fare against Humphreys? Looking at how Costello did against them and CDM you will see a fairly equal nod to the pass defenses. CDM fared a bit better against the run. Actually it was Bradley Schlom whom SC couldn't stop and no doubt he will benefit from the double coverage J Hump gets. It was Schlom with the game winning catch with 11 seconds on the clock that won the game. CDM has a slew of receivers so i do not envy anyone in Sunset in coverage.

When you refer to the "other" guys is that other receivers or the rest of the team? :eh?:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Sixth Man wrote:I have seen every team in the Sunset besides Newport play. CDM is the biggest on the Offensive and Defensive line. Every team in the sunset dresses all of their varsity and JV from what I've seen. You are not at a disadvantage.

Ok,,,,, you included CDM DL? There is not one kid in the CDM front 7 that weighs more than 210,,, look like most are converted LB,,,,quick? yes, big? Hell no lmao....

OL is nice but looks like every OL in the Sunset,,, couple 6 footers,,, one, maybe two kids over 250,,,,

Big reach 6th man,,,

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:49 am

My sentiment exactly OCF, I would call the offensive line average in size or on par and the defensive line small, there are no big bodies and your analogy of "converted LBs" is accurate.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:53 am

Been off the board for while....tough to enjoy FB but lets get back into it.

Sunset:

1) Los Al, as I said a few weeks ago, clearly the best team in the Sunset. Far less flaws than the others. IMO they are 10 points better than any team. The only way the lose is they beat themselves or the football gods. I would stop run first against them. Take away right hand throws by rolling my coverage, take away screen, and try to get them to beat you throwing the ball. Defensively they are very quick to the ball. If you want to beat them, you have to be able to run the ball on them. Sleeper in D2 playoffs. Could make it to semis.

2) CDM, SK the enrollment thing is just BS...participation and funding are miles more important. CDM is not the biggest team up front in the league, FV could be pound for pound. The league is very small this year.
Beside the obvious, theyplay the game in a very smart manner and make you beat them. I too would establish run against them to control the clock. I would take away the big guys make others beat you. Clearly the second place team, only Edison and LA have a shot at beating.

3) Edison, they are down this year. Is it a trend I don't kown. However upfront they are not as good as years past, especially the D line. The backers are terrific but one is gone due to injury last week. The undersized Soph at QB
has flaws and I don't want to be personal but I will say bring pressure and contain. Stay in his face and your D will be fine. I believe you can throw the ball on them, couple DB's are not as good as the past. This is why I give CDM the slight nod over Edison.

4) HB. Coach Brown is getting the most out of what he got. Take away run, force them to score 24 on you throwing the ball. Bring pressure and take way tunnel screens. They have TE that will catch the ball down the middle, making formula to stop pass a little tougher, but still make QB beat you on long drives. On offense run the ball against them, thin up front.

5) FV, I think the lost of Coach Scott has had a great impact on the staff and team. Adelanto is rumored to have 20 transfers (new passing league coach) and has more talent than Los Al, with two D1 prospects. The CIF has their hands full with that program. Given the week FV had the boys played very well. FV has surprising talent but so far they can't come close to playing three good quarters and one ok quarter. If one of the top three catch them doing that then they may pull off the upset. FV has better talent than HB to beat any of the top three but they have been their own worse enemy. If they stop beating themselves it is a 7 point game against the top three.

6) Newport, props to the three wins, going to be tough to pick up anymore.
Last edited by TheFan on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 am

Appreciate your detailed take Fan! Doesn't mean I aim'y gonna keep my eye on this one...... regarding Sunset being down or weak this year.

"it will be competitive but it looks like the league might not have a top 50 team in the state." ~ TheFan

Half way through appears we have two!
cdm#37mp.png

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:08 am

There are not 50 teams in the state that can beat either of those two as well as Edison.

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:23 am

CDM @ Edison (+10.5)
HB @ NH (+13.5)
Los Al @ FV (+35.5)
San Clemente @ Tesoro (-1.5) 5*
Sta Marg @ OLu (-10.5)
Calabasas @ Westlake (+12.5)
Downey @ Paramount (+2.5)
Bishop Amat @ Chaminade (+6.5)
St Francis @ Mayfair (+1.5) 3*
Redlands EV @ Cajon (-17.5)

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:37 am

TheFan wrote: FV, I think the lost of Coach Scott has had a great impact on the staff and team. Adelanto is rumored to have 20 transfers (new passing league coach) and has more talent than Los Al, with two D1 prospects. The CIF has their hands full with that program. Given the week FV had the boys played very well. FV has surprising talent but so far they can't come close to playing three good quarters and one ok quarter. If one of the top three catch them doing that then they may pull off the upset. FV has better talent than HB to beat any of the top three but they have been their own worse enemy. If they stop beating themselves it is a 7 point game against the top three.
That's a real tough loss for the Barons. The unsung heroes are the assistants.

Interesting point about D13 Adelanto. Figured something was up with them being 5-0 after 0-9 last year.

Seems like Coach Nolan has established his brand of unpredictable / chaotic football, and upsets wouldn't be all that surprising. But, as you said, I think beating yourself also has a higher than normal degree of probability when you can't control the chaos. Few, if any, are successful in the long run with that approach - but it is entertaining to watch.

BigAnt5050

Post by BigAnt5050 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:56 am

Fv has better talent then HB? C'mon bro, HB has the returning Co linebacker of sunset league, not to mention another 1st team player at Rb plus a 6'4 wr that's pretty good.The only player on Fv with skill is Keshaun Sykes, kid is probably the fastest kid in the sunset, but that's it. Trust me I know most of the players on that team and they are far from having more talent then HB.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 am

Can anyone answer to why it is year after year Los Alamitos doesn't add the "boxscore" stats to Maxpreps like every other school does? :eh?:

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 am

I sympathize with you SK80. It is frustrating when you can't find reliable stats, especially, like in my case, it's your own school that isn't posting stats.

By the time Servite finally posted anything to MaxPreps, it was September 18th, and they were inaccurate on many stats. For example, on interceptions by Servite defenders, they show the team has made two interceptions on the year, when, in fact, Servite intercepted 4 passes in the Roosevelt game alone.

They also are, for unknown reasons, mixing in jv stats with the Varsity stats. --:--
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:18 am

Just curious if it was by design so to not put anything up there for opposing teams to study. Or possibly just not enough coaches, statisticians or manpower. I think MP offers its followers a lot of great info, would be nice if a contending team like LA would participate.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:46 am

Most successful high school programs used to pull from a good well taught , youth programs. Downey used to have it, La Mirada, La Habra, Saddleback Valley, Santa Margarita, now it looks like the Seahawks are possibly providing some kids for CDM? Is this possible ? It doesn't seem like they are using out of area kids?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

CDM for the most part has kids attending the school as well applying sports on its teams that are from the area. You will have on occasion a CDM-Newport harbor flip or flop depending on a sport but that usually isn't many kids at all as its deemed kind like a traitor! :mrgreen:

As for the Seahawks, yes the NEWPORT MESA SEAHAWKS is a local team and some of those kids will play at Newport-Mesa schools. I do not know the exact count on Seahawks on tis years CDM Varsity. I do know the Seahawks have been a dominating team and I know there are some Juniors and Sophomores at CDM that played for them.

So HTL, to answer your question at the end, no CDM does not use kids from outside the area unless you would like to loan us a few Highlanders anytime soon....!

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 pm

CDM @ Edison (+10.5) ED
HB @ NH (+13.5) HB 3*
Los Al @ FV (+35.5) LA
San Clemente @ Tesoro (-1.5) SC
Sta Marg @ OLu (-10.5) SM
Calabasas @ Westlake (+12.5) Calabasas
Downey @ Paramount (+2.5) Downey
Bishop Amat @ Chaminade (+6.5) Amat
St Francis @ Mayfair (+1.5) SF 25*
Redlands EV @ Cajon (-17.5) Cajon

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Big Ant, I don't like to say anything negative about particular kids, your son might be the best athlete in the league. I am impressed by some getting hype on HB and not others. I think up front FV has more talent than HB, that is why I tilt my take toward FV. FV strength is their inside fronts. I too know your staff (Brown since he was at Marina) and team equally as well, much longer than most,I go back very far. FV has better team speed and bigger up front, HB has a couple special athletes, but drop off quicker. Hey we agree on Key. The FV kids had a terrific offseason and if you have not seen them in person you will be surprised how much the team grew in stature, check out FV running back#28, he is the most improved player in the program, literally came out of no where to trucking tacklers (Have you seen him play) . He runs as hard as any Sunset RB (seen every team except NH) and has good top end speed. Kid is really stepping up for his senior year, nice story. 10-14, will be an important game for both teams seeking WC berths. Enjoy the ride it goes by quickly

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:24 pm

CDM @ Edison (+10.5) Ed 5*
HB @ NH (+13.5) HB
Los Al @ FV (+35.5) FV
San Clemente @ Tesoro (-1.5) SC 3*
Sta Marg @ OLu (-10.5) Olu
Calabasas @ Westlake (+12.5) Cal
Downey @ Paramount (+2.5) Down
Bishop Amat @ Chaminade (+6.5) Nade
St Francis @ Mayfair (+1.5) Mayfair
Redlands EV @ Cajon (-17.5) Cajon

BigAnt5050

Post by BigAnt5050 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:24 pm

I agree our d front is gonna be a issue but I would say our lb core is playing some good ball. As for knowing coaches I've known the Jordan brothers since they were 8 and 10yrs old I coached their little bro. The Lb coach Dom coached my older son at MD, and I have connection to a few of the other staff also. Maybe you didn't know I coached several players on that FV team, also Arick played varsity his freshman season there, and Keyand Arick are good friends, so I know who they are
Like I told Bick when he ask me about them 2 yrs ago, they are all smoke and mirrors, that's just my opinion though. As for the RB your speaking of, yes I've seen him play, he runs hard but let's see how he fairs in league. Have you seen any HB games? We got some guys that are playing some good ball also. Just for the record I wanted Arick to stay at FV, it was his choice to leave. But come by and say hello when we play FV, I'm always at the top on the 50 yrs line.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:09 am

A win over San Clemente, especially with a Oklahoma St committed QB is a great win for CDM. San Clemente and their Defense has been a problem for years. As for the CDM vs Edison game, I think with being down and injuries to key positions, CDM will make a statement and win Big. They will probably give Los Al all they can handle too. Good luck tonight to all!

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:06 am

Professor Fate wrote: They also are, for unknown reasons, mixing in jv stats with the Varsity stats
That is admin control, what happens is lower division coaches post their stats and then it is a mess, just have varsity post stats and roster and you will get correct info reported...hope that helps, if you can let staff know it will fix that problem...