2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

SK80

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Post by SK80 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:07 am

I watched the first half Bick, my take was depth and balance, the had speed, ran their plays well. Agree there wasn't height on the team but they are stout enough to control most teams. Since I really haven't watched teams like FV being a newbie to Sunset I thought they were really outmanned. The very first kick off to LA was completely bobbled and muffed yet the guy still picked the ball up and ran it all the way for a TD. FV was just watching. I know LA whooped FV as well last year so doesn't say too much. Poor NH and FV next week :hide:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:38 pm

I will say this about FV. I expected them to be a lot faster than they showed with this being the 3rd year of the Speed Kilz training they get. Sykes has a legit motor, but that was about it.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:52 pm

Week 6 Results

Name***This Week***Total Pts***Weeks won

Sixth Man***12***73***1.5
2002 Tony***6***69***2
SK80***12***68***0.5
OC Football***10***67***2
Bick***8***64***1

SM at the top

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:16 pm

If FV was suppose to be fast then the molasses runnning down my pancakes this morning was really moving!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:26 pm

My personal assessment of CDM v LA in 2 weeks,,, if CDM doesn’t out athlete LA in the 3rd qtr, LA will win in the 4th via muscle and conditioning. They were hanging on late in the ball game to a young Eddy’s team (scored 0 in second half), and a chance to lose on Eddy’s last drive into CDM end. They won, but def not with a killer instinct.

So as I’m rooting for an LA win, and Eddy beats LA week 10 because of LA overconfidence,,,, coin flips,,, Eddy gets Sunset 1 seed to be a guaranteed AQ in D2 over Loyola and Great Oak.

BigAnt5050

Post by BigAnt5050 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 am

Like I said in earlier post FV is all smoke and mirrors.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 am

Week 7

FV @ CDM (-37.5)
Edison @ HB (+23.5)
NH @ Los Al (-44.5)
Great Oak @ Murrieta Mesa (-14.5)
Aliso Niguel @ SJ Hills (-13.5)
Chaminade @ Alemany (+9.5)
Calabasas @ Sierra Canyon (+10.5)
Paraclete @ St Francis (-3.5)
Notre Dame @ Loyola (+28.5)
Grace Brethren @ Moorpark (-1.5)

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 am

Those are some sad "Sunset Spreads" up there Bick..... :cry:

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 am

ocfootball wrote: My personal assessment of CDM v LA in 2 weeks,,, if CDM doesn’t out athlete LA in the 3rd qtr, LA will win in the 4th via muscle and conditioning.
That's going to be a tough challenge for Los Al. CDM has around 3-4 kids with multiple D1 offers and are all over the Best of OC lists. Los Al has an undersized LBer w/ no offers as its sole marquee player.
ocfootball wrote: So as I’m rooting for an LA win, and Eddy beats LA week 10 because of LA overconfidence,,,, coin flips,,, Eddy gets Sunset 1 seed to be a guaranteed AQ in D2 over Loyola and Great Oak.
Assuming Edison handles the next 3 games as they should, they're in as an AQ 3rd place team win or lose week 10. But as you say, if LA somehow manages to take down CDM in a couple weeks and handles Newport and HB in between, Week 10 will be for a share of the Sunset.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 am

SK80 wrote: Those are some sad "Sunset Spreads" up there Bick
There's a pretty wide gap between top and bottom 3 this year. More than 3 TD's between #3 & #4.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Bick wrote:Week 7

FV @ CDM (-37.5)
Edison @ HB (+23.5)
NH @ Los Al (-44.5)
Great Oak @ Murrieta Mesa (-14.5) 5*
Aliso Niguel @ SJ Hills (-13.5)
Chaminade @ Alemany (+9.5)
Calabasas @ Sierra Canyon (+10.5)
Paraclete @ St Francis (-3.5) 3*
Notre Dame @ Loyola (+28.5)
Grace Brethren @ Moorpark (-1.5)

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 pm

CDM
Eddy5*
LA
Mesa
SJH3*
Nade
SC
Clete
ND
GB

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 am

Ok I took a couple days to post because it would have been too negative. Lets get this over with...

FV, set the game back years. They should be embarrassed how they played. They played soft, slow, tentative, etc..
The score does not matter. Whatever they do going forward their only goal should be to play hard. The list to fix is too long. All they control at this point is how hard they play. Its is clearly not working at FV, Effort is easy to fix.
You got pick 6 occurring and kids are just watching from the best seat in the house. Ok I will stop.

Los Al...I told you all this is a really good team and improving week to week, I like the team and how hard they play. They are so much better than week 1 (FV is has not gotten any better). Once again if you can not stop them from running you will loose. If you can not stop outside zone you will loose, if you can not stop RPO you will loose....Backers are active enough, D line gets a good rush, and DB can jam. I think the DBs are the best group on the team. Fenton runs a terrific program and has them playing well. He must be bummed he did not reach his stated goal of 100...One thing to get your butt whipped by a good group of coaches.... Bick don't defend they guy...I got more just let it go... couple game examples....
When is the last time you have seen a fake punt up 49-0? The defense rest, don't tell me it was an option, why even make that call? We can get into more if you want, but I want to keep it to football...Friday left no doubt...
How many kids got booted one or two ? they never should have been in the game. There is plenty more...

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:38 am

FYI,,,,
HB@Edison@HBHS (+23.5)

Edison is the home team

Bick

Post by Bick » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:37 pm

TF - assuming a modicum of objectivity, your frustration is truly misplaced. Now it's my turn. I don't speak for Coach Fenton or Los Al, so these remarks are entirely my own.

FV came in to the game 4-1 and ranked #21 in OC. If you really have a gripe with Los Al running up the score on FV, evaluate the fact the starting QB only played 23 of the 27 total first half offensive snaps, and threw a grand total of 10 passes before calling it a night just past the halfway point in the 2nd Qtr. If that gets under your skin, prepare yourself for some real disappointment when Garbers puts it up at least twice that amount on Friday. I'm curious though, if 23 snaps is too many, how many can the first team offense play before upsetting you about running it up on you? Heck, the starting RB had 7 carries, the backup RB had 4...and the backup QB ran nothing but QB keepers the last 4 plays of the half - 2 of those going for TD's.

I assume that fake punt was going to happen primarily because they were working on it in practice. No offense to the kids, but If FV played anything that vaguely resembled a sound defensive scheme, LA wouldn't have had to wait so long to try it out. Yours or anyone else's feelings about how many points LA scores, runs a distant second to improving the team working on things to get them ready for the playoffs. You thinking that Los Al gave a rip about dropping a hundo on FV is pretty optimistic . Me on the other hand, would if I were the head coach and I knew you had been talking about me like you've been talking about him. I'm way more vindictive (selfish), and because of it, would make a lousy head coach. I'd tell you to keep talking buddy, and then really give you something to complain about. But that's just me. The LA coaches are far less selfish than me, and are working on things a heck of a lot more important than running it up on FV or some other petty vindictive action.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 am

Ironic, todays story from OC Varsity....,

Fryer on football: One-sided games are no fun, for the losers or the winners

Orange County football had some ugly final scores last week.

Santa Ana 79, Costa Mesa 0.

Mission Viejo 70, El Toro 0.

Los Alamitos 69, Fountain Valley 0.

Orange 62, Saddleback 0.

How does the losing coach of such a game handle it?

El Toro coach Andy Diaz tried to insert some perspective into it for his players.

“I said, ‘Hey, you guys played against that a team that is ranked 15th in the nation,’ ” Diaz said. “ ‘And the great thing is we don’t play a team as highly ranked the rest of the season, even in the playoffs.’ ”

Diaz said there were zero indications that Mission Viejo tried to run up the score.

Los Alamitos coach Ray Fenton has been on the winning and losing ends of one-sided games.

“It’s miserable on both sides,” Fenton said.

Los Alamitos’ last touchdown against Fountain Valley was scored by senior receiver John Aulenta who had not touched the football all season. He took a lateral and carried it to the end zone.

“That’s a dedicated kid who’s put in four years grinding it out on the practice field,” Fenton said. “He finally gets the ball, under the lights. How do you tell him not to score?”

This story or scenario has played out in HS sport for decades. And I believe there are plenty of times coaches did run up scores and others where it was almost impossible not to see the score get so out of hand. Thankfully in football there is the running clock.

My take on the game in question was Los Alamitos did not not so much run up the score as FV in my opinion did nothing to stop LA from scoring. In fact LA only scored once the entire second half, that is not running up the score. I took a look at last seasons game between the two schools and if you want to at least on paper see more evidence of running up a score it is the 28 points in the second half put up by LA in a 42-6 contest.

CDM after 6 years in the PCL faced this issue often and to the best of my knowledge the second string always played the second halves in these lopsided affairs. Putting up 35 points in a quarter or 70 in a game usually nets in a bad night and experience for the opposing team.

Sitting players, especially star players is hard. Yes it keeps them out of harms way and that is the best thing to do for the team. Yet I have watched many a star player have to sit entire halves of much of their career. Against El Toro this year Garbers had 6 TD passes in the first half timing the school record for a game. Coach O' Shea sat him the entire second half denying him the beyond likely/guaranteed all time school record. Frustrating to say the least.

All in all, I do not think any coach will pull the troops in a second quarter of any game I have seen. Was Los Al suppose to take knees on 3rd downs... --:-- As a player I think that would hurt all the same seeing that.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:54 am

Bick,

Dude what is it with you, everything LA does is not perfect, have your own opinion. Don't be scared to say something negative because people know you.

The only thing that got under my skin was how ill prepared FV was to play, how horrible their team effort was, how they rolled over, the balance was just observation of a 50 year old using kids as his tool...to stroke his ego...

What does how many plays Johnny went left or right have to do with being a sportsman, answer NONE. LA had three non offensive scores, and it only took three plays to score on offense each series. FV was up on Ranch Dom, big and the first team played just 8 plays in the first half, off the field in the second. Point is FV slowed it down. It was 50-0 half...it ended that way. I have no problem with the back ups scoring 100, none if they are back ups and your not trying to embarrass the other team. Just run the ball, occasional short pass and get the heck out. Everyone on this board can see you like to twist the stats...

Do you really think anyone on this board is that stupid to buy that a coach up 49-0 runs a fake punt because they worked on it in practice? This might be your weakest comment ever.
He ran punt block up 42-0 on Banning, you confirmed it....so do I really need to say much more. His is just an ass.

How many kids got kicked out ? 1 or 2, and the D end got kicked out in the second half for taking a very very late hit on the QB. Then goes over to the sideline and get's high fived by the staff. The other O linemen, not sure if they told him to not come back or kicked him out too. He was walked off the field by the white hat for hitting a player from behind away from the ball after the play was over. He too received high fives. In contrast, CDM taunting penalty against Edison, CDM coach went over to the kid and told him to knock it off, stop...like an mature adult leader. No hive fives.

Before this turns into all Fenton thread, go ask you own buddies on the sidelines about what Fenton said, what he did not want to do, and what the refs asked him to do, then told him to do...He had an opportunity to be a leader and chose not to be. You should be embarrassed you attempted to defend him. He is not a man. I doubt you will take me up, because if you do ...it will cause some self reflection on why I defend an ass, which is not fun.

PS, SK show some eggs and call it the way you see it, running a fake punt up 49-0 is weak. FV sucked, we all get it, but a coach controls calling a fake punt.

BigAnt5050

Post by BigAnt5050 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 am

Nice Bick! Does anyone look at the team's FV has played the last 2 yrs? I've said it since we departed, which is why we departed. Last season the FV coach said in a after game interview" I don't take my hat off to HB on the win" who does that after your team simply got beat, show some class and take the L. Smoke and mirrors.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:09 am

Big Ant, ...so would you run fake punt up 49-0...? Would you run punt block up 42-0? ...I did not need to reference max preps and wordsmith...Bick could not even recognize a punt block and had to go back and watch hudl? need I say more. BTW Bick those are not QB sneaks, they are zone read plays...They were running outside zone on FV...

Second, one should always be a gracious..no upside either way.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:10 am

Fan, I do not know the dynamics of these Sunset teams and their coaches as I have not been to attached to league for obvious reasons. In the bigger picture I saw a FV team that just couldn't get out of the way or should I say they simply got out of the way :eh?:

I am not so in tune with the coaches to have spent time watching Fenton smirk possibly over at the FV bench every time his team scored. Wasn't looking at the game from that perspective. It seems you have seen more of this guy as has Bick.

I agree with you that running a fake punt with that score is suspect. And is completely within the realm of running up a score in such a game. Seeing that it was also done in another blow out maybe there is some credence to the notion no matter what Fenton is going to run these plays as they are basically now "free" plays without much game consequence to sharpen his team for bigger games and CIF to come. If so is that at the expense of the FV kids and program? You are with a point here about that. Its a rough world out there right?

All these games have dynamics and undertones. I am sure if CDM only goes for 40 points against FV certainly the chatter will be how inferior CDM's offense must be! Thank you for pointing out coach O' Shea and his discipline of players. i saw two completely out of character gestures by CDM players and Coach O made sure even star players will get shouted down for such mistakes of un-sportsmanship.

Speaking of undertones, and reason why the two big CDM penalties was the talk and smack by some Sunset teams all summer of how they were going welcome the new kids on the block with a thumping when it was time to play with the "big boys". The gesture :-$ in the end zone to the player and crowd routinely seen in the NFL now was an answer to a bit of summer frustration!