2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

TheFan

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:17 am

SK,
I used to know all the coaches in the Sunset and just enjoyed watching games coached by fellas I know. There was a time when I knew several coaches on all the staffs, due to my past... So I enjoyed watching the boys go at it. I am down to knowing a few coaches on HB and FV. It is that simple. I really do not care who wins and want all the Sunset teams to do well, even LA.

Thanks for recognizing the fake punt was bush league.

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:41 am

I totally disagree with a coach congratulating a kid that took a cheap shot, assuming that's what happened. But as far as the rest goes... if it happens in the first half I say it's fair game (trick plays, aggressive special teams, long pass plays, time outs, etc.). I personally wouldn't call that stuff as a head coach, but the kids are there to play a game. If one team is clearly dominating another, they should be able to play their "A" game in all areas for at least a half. After half time it's time to ease off the throttle, and if the game is still continuing to go down the same road, then it's time to shift to neutral and coast to the last whistle.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 am

TF - You want to focus on the fake punt, fine. Notice it was run on the very first 4th down of the game. If YOU were the coach, and wanted to get something on film for another team to have to prepare for that you're playing in a couple weeks, when would you run it?

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 am

No I would not run punt block right up 42 or Fake Punt up 49,or even Rugby punt with a read to run...He has shown he runs rugby punt before so any team should be ready for the guy to keep the ball in preparing the following weeks. So many other things a coach can do to waste another team's time. He could run formations he does not want to use...far more effective waste of an opponents time.

TomDrake...I too have no problem playing hard the whole game, I expect the two's and three to bust their rears too. The score is not the issue. Running trick plays, fakes etc...is just rubbing in one's face, plus I think the back up players get more out of executing the standard plays in blow outs than trick plays. In case one ever needed them.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:40 am

TomDrake wrote: I totally disagree with a coach congratulating a kid that took a cheap shot, assuming that's what happened.
Everyone I know would agree with this as well. Saying Coach Fenton would do that is at best flat out wrong. I'd stake my reputation on that.

I remember the very first kid who played for him at Cypress in '05 who got flagged for a late hit after retaliating from a cheap shot the play before that the officials missed. He got to spend the rest of the game standing right next to the coach, and got to hear how selfish he was about 10 different times throughout the game. That was my kid.

When the LB last Friday got flagged for a PF, he too got to come out of the game. Only what he got from the coach was nothing like a "high five". It looked a heck of a lot like the same treatment my kid got. The guy I did the game with joked about what it was like when the same thing happened to him a dozen years ago, and I've witnessed the same dozens of times over the years with him.

Guys here may have an issue with his play calling or whatever, and that's certainly a prerogative. But to say he in any way tolerates a selfish cheap shop, let alone condone or congratulate it, is flat out wrong.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:57 am

Fenton was not the coach that high fived. The kids walked past Fenton, as you know he creeps onto the field to talk to the boys and hear what the ref is saying, this happen behind with his back to the sideline, twice.

BigAnt5050

Post by BigAnt5050 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 am

TheFan wrote:Big Ant, ...so would you run fake punt up 49-0...? Would you run punt block up 42-0? ...I did not need to reference max preps and wordsmith...Bick could not even recognize a punt block and had to go back and watch hudl? need I say more. BTW Bick those are not QB sneaks, they are zone read plays...They were running outside zone on FV...

Second, one should always be a gracious..no upside either way.
If I was Fenton yes I would. If I was coaching against FV myself yes I would, FV coach is classless in my book, he gives no respect so why should he get any? I watched him try as h talk our squad last season, so to me Fenton should've put a 100 pts on him. But that's just my opinion.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:49 am

TF - you keep harping on the Banning game "punt block". If FV had released all their linemen like Banning did, leaving the 3 protectors trying to stop 7 guys running full speed at them, they too would have had it blocked by the front 7. For some unknown reason, FV actually had them...block. I'm sure you were shocked to see none of the FV punts was blocked. If you're of the opinion the Los Al coach truly wants to rub it in the noses of the opposing team, why didn't they block any or send the house? Did he suddenly grow a conscience? You can't have it both ways.

We'll agree to disagree about the fake punt. As I said, from the looks of it, they were going with it on the first punt of the night, period. If I'm on the other side of the field, or didn't consider the circumstances, I might agree with you. But after talking with, and reading about quite a few successful coaches over the years, they are almost always far more concerned with preparing their teams for the future games on the season than rubbing it in anyone's nose. This wasn't late in the game looking for style points though. Face it, by the end of the first qtr, the game wasn't more than a glorified scrimmage. What you called an RPO late in Q2, was a parting of the Red Sea on the 25 yd run up the middle, and a 5'6" backup OL pushing a big DL guy 7 yds into the EZ on a straight QB run.

You keep saying that FV is a bad team. They're not. They may have come out flat after their bye week, and / or their coach had them in unsound defensive schemes, but the first 3 teams they beat weren't all that bad. Why they scheduled a D3 LA City team is curious though.

They should make some noise again in the playoffs this year.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:02 am

BigAnt5050 wrote: FV coach is classless in my book, he gives no respect so why should he get any? I watched him try as h talk our squad last season
Interesting. Did the same to the Los Al kids last year. I thought it was just part of the FV angst toward LA.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:38 am

Big Ant, that is a really sad response...So show poor sportsmanship, take it out on the opposing kids, because as a mentor you don't like the other team's HC.. ......Good luck to your son the rest of the season and in college

Bick...common man, let it go...you keep mixing topics...Banning game the entire right side came, not just the force guy..
against FV, LA never brought pressure because of the trick plays FV has ran, they focused on a double jam on FV gunner... understand on a punt every player has a blocking assignment too unless punt block is called...hence why some guys don't rush....Let it go...If you want to get a good return one does not send 6 guys to a side. Its comical to me.

I have no idea about FV scheduling other than the whole playoff WC, .500 deal...is my guess.

Again I have zero problems with back up scoring 100 plus points, let's not call a play a qb sneak when its an option.
The play calling was not the issue.

Alright Bick I am done...you can have the last word...actions speak louder than talk or stats.

Bick

Post by Bick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:14 pm

TF - You and I agree on most other opinions. I do understand your perspective, but just don't agree about the intent. As he is a friend, I'll submit that I am biased in his support. But you and I really just see things very differently as it relates to Los Al. My intent was to give you some feedback from my perspective. Most importantly, I'd never spend time supporting a program as I do this one if I believed it wasn't an honorable one...friend or not.

Other guys have posted here that don't have a horse in this race that don't see it as you do to varying degrees.

One of these days, I'd like to review that whole punt block thing with you. I'm really just missing what you're talking about. I remember describing it as somewhat comedic that at the snap 7 guys ran one way, and 7 ran the other without touching each other. I'd never seen anything like it before. Granted, my coaching experience is limited to not knowing what the heck I was doing as a pop warner coach, so I'm open to the idea I'm wrong in my assessment.

BigAnt5050

Post by BigAnt5050 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:46 pm

TF, seeing that the coaches don't play and the kids do, maybe the coach should learn to be more humble and not write checks that his team can't cash? How's that response? Usually when scores get ran up it's personal, I'm not sure where you learned the game at, but where I come from if you talk the talk you best walk the walk in between the lines.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:24 pm

You guys ever think that they work on one punt and one punt block/return per week? Maybe the kids do their jobs to the best of their ability every time. I don't think they have time to work on several different returns and blocks per week. I know we didn't. KOR may be left of right. But as far as punt, return, pat, pat block, we just had one.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Ant, I learned as an adult mentoring children the ends do not justify the means. I agree this type of integrity takes a lot more restraint, but requires no rationalization.

Bick

Post by Bick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 pm

CDM
HB
Los Al
Murrieta Mesa
Aliso Niguel
Chaminade
Calabasas
Paraclete
Notre Dame
Grace Brethren

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:45 am

@Bick u forgot your (*) picks.....

Ha just remembered the General Booty was in Lancaster and beat the 'Clete 28-27 last week on his new private travel team.... :shock:

Are there any games tonite on the list :eh?:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Bick

Post by Bick » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks

HB 5* (let's go little ant)
Aliso NIguel 3*

All Friday games

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 pm

FV @ CDM (-37.5) cdm
Edison @ HB (+23.5) hb
NH @ Los Al (-44.5) la
Great Oak @ Murrieta Mesa (-14.5)MM
Aliso Niguel @ SJ Hills (-13.5) sjh
Chaminade @ Alemany (+9.5) nade 5*
Calabasas @ Sierra Canyon (+10.5) cal
Paraclete @ St Francis (-3.5) para
Notre Dame @ Loyola (+28.5) nd
Grace Brethren @ Moorpark (-1.5) MP 3*

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:08 am

CDM
HB
LA
MM
SJH
CHAM 5*
SC
SF
SOND
GB 3*
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Week 7 Results

Name***This Week***Total Pts***Weeks won

Sixth Man***10***83***2.5
SK80***6***74***0.5
2002 Tony***4***73***2
OC Football***5***72***2
Bick***8***72***1

SM on a roll...we'll call him butter