2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

BBB

Re: 2018 Sunset League/DII/DIII

Postby BBB » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:53 pm

I don’t understand why all the love for Upland. They have only theee returning starters on defense (1 DB, 1 LB, and 1 DL). Granted, the LB is exceptional and the DB is really good, and they got a good DB transfer, but there will be a big drop off on that side of the ball.

They lost a bunch of key starters on offense too - especially Baldwin. That Boop kid is not that good yet - why get excited over 3-7 D12 kid who will be just a sophomore? They did get a good RB transfer to replace last year’s RB. While they lost some hogs, I heard they’ve been doing well in lineman competitions this offseason. They will have to run the ball a lot more given the lack of experience at WR and QB, plus it will keep their inexperienced defense off of the field.

Upland has to travel to La Habra for their first game. Some of you are sleeping on La Habra. La Habra’s QB Zanelli is far better than Boop. Look at their highlights and what they’ve done this off season. No real comparison. Plenty of other reasons why La Habra will be better than some of you are giving them credit on here.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see La Habra beat Upland in that opener. Should be a great one to watch in La Habra’s new stadium. No way does La Habra lose in the first round again either. I think they’ll be the best D2 team in OC. Of course that’s before any final transfers before the start of the season....

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:19 am

@BBB Transfers IN or OUT !! :lol:

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 am

BBB wrote:Source of the post I wouldn’t be surprised to see La Habra beat Upland in that opener. Should be a great one to watch in La Habra’s new stadium. No way does La Habra lose in the first round again either. I think they’ll be the best D2 team in OC. Of course that’s before any final transfers before the start of the season....

I thought they were on the verge of being pretty special this year. Still might be. Losing those 2 D1 kids is tough to overcome anywhere, but even more so at the publics.

BBB

Postby BBB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:45 am

I hear you Bick. I’m sure HTL is closer to them and I’d like to hear his point of view, but I saw them at some passing tournaments recently and they looked really good. Went to the semis (their only loss) at the Charter Oak tournament without the WR who went to MV (Woulard) as well as their other leading guy later in the day (Anderson). Then they won the Airo tournament going unbeaten on the day, and they were missing their tall TE, Woulard, Anderson and a really fast sophomore kid. So they seem to have great depth at WR (and might help explain why Woulard left?). Zanelli was the best QB at both tournaments, and that includes Casey from Calabasas. Now La Habra looked vulnerable on D in a couple of spots (losing Fumamatu will have to hurt). Of course the offensive and defensive lines matter and I didn’t see them out there so I can’t speak to how they look there.

BBB

Postby BBB » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am

SK80 wrote:@BBB Transfers IN or OUT !! :lol:

SK80 ain’t that the truth! Tough to keep up these days.

Leather helmet

Postby Leather helmet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:16 am

Sk80 - Any lineman from CDM getting offers or looks by any schools?

FilthyPelican

Postby FilthyPelican » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am

No one is sleeping on La Habra. They are always a solid program with Quality Coaching. I just hope that the new La Habra Field has the same old atmosphere as "The Pit". That's a fun field to play at or watch a game. As for Upland with the addition of another solid receiver in Zambrano to go with Davis, and another TE Thornton with what they already had the Offense should be able to put up points. They just need to settle on a QB which looks like they are leaning towards the kid from last year Rowe who has done well in the spring and passing tourney and seems to be separating himself from the Boop kid. They also have another freshman who has been managing the ball well and putting points up in the spring 7v7s. USC this weekend and the Bonita Tournament should settle the pecking order for QB at UHS.
Just because I don't know: Has a kid ever played Varsity as a Freshman, transferred to a new school and then had to play JV at the new school? It could happen.
Either way, D2 should be more interesting than D1 since there are only 2 teams in D1 that can compete with each other.
"The Wolf is never concerned about the opinions of the Sheep"

4ks.up

Postby 4ks.up » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm

The field is definitely wider than it was with the natural grass. From the looks of it, it seems as if they added a few yards on each of the home and away sides of the field. Its been a long time coming for LH and its stadium, just a bummer that they could not put a logo down on it as they have to share the field with Sonora.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Hey Leather, CDM rarely has guys in the trenches at D1 level although our long snapper last year got a scholarship from Stanford. Had one of the quickest snaps in the nation, Kyle Petrucci. CDM has been able to hold their own within their division. It will be an area that they will have to get bigger and better if they are to continue moving up the divisional ranks.

So my fellow La Habra peeps what's the deal on this new stadium? Believe it or not I am a La Habra kid.... Los Positos Elementary grades 1-4..!! From the age of 6-10 almost every week my dad took me to "Friday Night Lights" at La Habra High School. When football season was over he took me to La Habra City Council meetings.... :bonk:

I pass through the old hood on occasion so is this field in a new spot or just redid the old one? --:--

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 pm

4ks.up wrote:Source of the post The field is definitely wider than it was with the natural grass. From the looks of it, it seems as if they added a few yards on each of the home and away sides of the field. Its been a long time coming for LH and its stadium, just a bummer that they could not put a logo down on it as they have to share the field with Sonora.

Drove by the other day, and it looks really nice. Not sure they had the press box occupants in mind when they put it on eastern sideline. It'll bake in the first half of the season, and the sun will shining right in their eyes in the 1st qtr in the first part of the season.

4ks.up

Postby 4ks.up » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:57 am

LH Stadium:
The just built it where the old one was at. Just widened the field, and switched the away and home sides. Next to it will be a state of the art theater.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:49 am

While we've not met face to face, I do know who Ant is, and from my interactions with him, I think he's a stand-up guy as are both MDD and RR.

Very few use their real names, but some of us can be pretty quickly identified by using a nickname, or the first part of their last name. Not sure that's such a great idea with some of the crazies out there, but it holds you accountable for what you type on these pages.

I get Ant's frustration. What was said about him and his kid is pure BS.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 am

BigAnt,

I'm not certain, but I believe MDDad was actually taking a good-natured shot at Roadrunner, who, years ago was supposed to meet another poster at a local gym to fight him. Reportedly, the other poster didn't show up.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

BigAnt5050

Postby BigAnt5050 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:03 am

Lol, oh yes I remember that! OK hahaha :D My bad!

BigAnt5050

Postby BigAnt5050 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks Bick, I usually just come on here to get updates on the sunset division, You guys are way more knowledgeable about things going on thru out HS sports. I've seen CDM a couple times this spring they do look good, but they don't look like they have much speed. Size, yes. I think there Size will over power teams in the sunset except for LA. But speed will get them if they encounter it. just my opinion from seeing them in 7 on 7 games.

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:20 am

MDDad wrote:I agree. There aren't many things more pathetic than a grown ass man trying to be an anonymous internet tough guy by challenging another poster to a fight. What a dork.
ha ha many moons ago...actually it was a boxing match at a gym. But even more pathetic is you talking crap on your boy wonder QB back in the day and then denying it...or you running to JQP because I posted your real name... :lol:
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 am

Professor Fate wrote:BigAnt,

I'm not certain, but I believe MDDad was actually taking a good-natured shot at Roadrunner, who, years ago was supposed to meet another poster at a local gym to fight him. Reportedly, the other poster didn't show up.

That's a fact..Bigstank flaked. Damn that was over 15yrs ago
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:47 am

BigAnt5050 wrote:Source of the post Thanks Bick, I usually just come on here to get updates on the sunset division, You guys are way more knowledgeable about things going on thru out HS sports. I've seen CDM a couple times this spring they do look good, but they don't look like they have much speed. Size, yes. I think there Size will over power teams in the sunset except for LA. But speed will get them if they encounter it. just my opinion from seeing them in 7 on 7 games.

It'd be great to get your takes here on HB and anyone else you see in the league or D2. Haven't read anything about Edison and new QB / WR's. They lost a lot with O'Connor, Atencio, Carmichael, Griggs, Moradian and Gallego graduating.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

@BigAnt which 7 on 7 were you at? Curious as so far only Narbonne squeezed out narrow possession win against CDM. So far two schools on their schedule Edison and San Clemente they beat handily 7v7.

As for size I am eyeing that up on the lines..., as far as receivers yes, HUGE :shock: CDM's never been a team built on speed but execution. However every year they play an IE team in CIF all we here is they won't handle the other teams speed and in the end it has been the execution beating speed. The game versus Roosy last year was epic and the dual with Downey as well, both teams with electric speed....

BigAnt5050

Postby BigAnt5050 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:20 pm

I agree they execute very well. They came to our field twice so I got a chance to see them against some lower competition and they really didn't look fast to me. But what do I know Lol.

Return to “High School”