Stir the pot

Daforno

Re: Stir the pot

Post by Daforno »

We are never going to see the days when kids went to the "local" high school and the typical boy played all 4 spots.

Kids are now moved into specialization by the 7th grade if not sooner, travel ball and camps provide venues to be seen and most kids are imbedded by the 9th grade, videos of highlights are all over U Tube and there is ZERO loyalty to any neighborhood school, the key is to be seen on as big a stage as possible, the operative word is "seen" if you are second string you move as the bench is NOT the place to be seen!

Single sports are now the norm unless you are just average at an average sports program, where you play multiple sports, very rare that a D1 kid is playing multiple sports.

As such where you go is only to be seen on a big stage, so 4 schools in 4 years to get to MD is really no big deal, and I'm afraid going to be the norm, too late that horse has left the barn.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

PTG, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to prove, but I suspect you're not as slick as you think you are.

First of all, your quote above that you claim you posted on June 29 was actually posted on Feb. 26, 2018, at 11:22 AM. That was four weeks ago, not nine months ago. I don't understand why you felt the need to lie about it.

And second, yes, as I posted some days ago, 14 days to be precise:
MDDad wrote:Today things couldn't be more different. Every decent player knows every other decent player. They know each other from playing together on youth teams, from camps and combines, from 7-on-7 tournaments and linemen competitions, from club teams, from personal trainers, and a dozen other ways. There isn't one very good player who isn't known by at least 50 other very good players. Furthermore, they all have cell phones. They all have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts, and they are in constant contact. Look at their social media or text histories for proof. They are always trash-talking or recruiting each other. That's probably where more than 95% of today's recruiting of high school and junior high players takes place. One kid texts or tweets something like "dude, you should come play for us". The second kid responds with "that sounds great, I'd really like to." That's where the ball starts rolling, and there's nothing anyone can do about it unless we return to the days before the internet and cell phones.
What exactly is your agenda in trying to refute or undermine everything I say?
templar83

Post by templar83 »

MDDad wrote: First of all, your quote above that you claim you posted on June 29 was actually posted on Feb. 26, 2018, at 11:22 AM. That was four weeks ago, not nine months ago. I don't understand why you felt the need to lie about it.
Apparently he does playthegame, just not very well....
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

MDDad wrote: PTG, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to prove, but I suspect you're not as slick as you think you are.First of all, your quote above that you claim you posted on June 29 was actually posted on Feb. 26, 2018, at 11:22 AM. That was four weeks ago, not nine months ago. I don't understand why you felt the need to lie about it.And second, yes, as I posted some days ago, 14 days to be precise:
My eyes are bad and I thought it said Jan 29th, then when I went to look at the date to be sure my mind's eye saw the June 29 date which was the day I joined, Templar will confirm my dysgraphia...sorry bout that yes you are correct is was Feb. 26, 2018, I was just giving you some crap...because in your post were referring to you posting some days ago with our saying I and others have posted...which would have been inclusive and nice...but you took it as a personal attack and chose to point out I am not that slick...which I freely admit...fairly often...I would never put myself in the slick category with you and say Templar83...you guys are Slick!
Last edited by Playthegame on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

So when I repeat a point I made earlier, you expect me to research and reference everyone else who may have commented on the same issue, in order to be "inclusive and nice"? Are you joking? Do you expect everyone else to do that as well, including yourself, or just me?
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

No...I will just point it out...if you miss it...
SK80

Post by SK80 »

MDDad wrote:SK80, you might be surprised that I tend to agree. There is a little less joy in winning with a team containing a few key transfers rather than a group of kids that grew up in the same sandbox. But no team will ever again win a championship in the Southern Section's top two or three divisions with just local neighborhood kids -- for at least two reasons. First, too many of today's good players and their parents are unwilling to delay gratification and are always willing to move on to the next, more shiny opportunity. And second, as I posted some days ago, social media ensures that the top players are in constant contact with each other, and recruiting each other 24/7. It sometimes takes little more than a few texts or tweets from one player to get another one to move, and that's a genie that will never be put back in the bottle.

While there may be less joy in winning this way, that lesser joy is still considerably more joy than is held by the bitter grown men who whine and complain on this forum day after day, week after week, and month after month, trying to belittle another program rather than support their own.
Not surprised in the least, I am sure we would all take a little joy in the notion of kids from the same sandbox playing together for years and having that on shining moment together as champions or what ever mission they set out on accomplished, TOGETHER.

That said, I still admit dismay of where we are at now in high school sport but I still accept it and try and keep my dismay in check. I do not want to be labeled as a grumpy or "bitter" old man! [-X

I would also like to add that us at CDM take great pride in what may be a last bastion, a school made of teams mainly homegrown and kids whom have put school and friends first. Yes things are changing and yes some CDM kids now prosper at MD in various sport and I suspect that will for now be the new reality. What will be interesting from here on out is will CDM choose or not to be part of this new reality, the other side of the coin, players "out" and players possibly now "in".

So with a public program on the rise (football) will CDM whom will now have to compete in the Sunset League start actively recruiting outside the area or at least make itself a "destination" school for additional selective to superior athletes? It will be interesting to see how Coach O'Shea handles this and what direction he tries to go. CDM has flourished in most sports for decades using the "sandbox" method. As we can all agree the world has changed and it is either get on board or jump ship. If and I say "if", winning is everything.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
TomDrake

Post by TomDrake »

There are still plenty of "last bastions" out there:
SK80 wrote: school made of teams mainly homegrown and kids whom have put school and friends first.
I don't think we will ever see one win a D1 title again, but it can certainly happen in D3 and even D2. San Clemente, Tesoro, Edison are certainly on that list.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

...an ever shrinking list T. Drake. And yes it can happen and if so the lower divisions more likely as they will continue to be lower as they do not join the others at the top or race to the top in the new open border reality. If you are not a participant in this reality then the only kids you will have are the ones within the block.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

MDDad wrote: This latest transfer is a white kid. He comes from a small Christian school, so he's probably up-to-date on his religion classes. Domingo and Professor Fate should both be ecstatic.
RoadRunner wrote: You mean a 6`3 305lbs White kid who will be starting for MD...about time MD bring in some vanilla...
It should not matter, and I'm not exactly sure why it was brought up, but Evan Bennett's mom (Katina Bennett) is black. I know it's hard for some folks to differentiate when a kid has a light skin tone. Considering the parties involved, I'm going to conclude there was no alternate messaging involved here, just a quick assumption.

This should be totally irrelevant to anyone on here other than that idiot, lowlife, George Wallace-reincarnate crying out vapid sermons about "true Catholics" at Mater Dei. But just saw this and thought I'd point that out to you gentlemen.