New Coach at Harbor

Cdm96

New Coach at Harbor

Post by Cdm96 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 pm

Rumor is that Peter Lofthouse will be announced as the head coach for Newport Harbor.

Strange hire with no local connections that I know of. He was the HC at San Diego Mesa College, but was mysteriously fired or resigned in January. Anyone else with more info?

Interesting move in the Sunset league...

SK80

Re: New Coach at Harbor

Post by SK80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 am

Hmmm, Citrus College WR Coach to SD Mesa where he did turn a program around in two seasons. Can't find much more than that on him. Have you heard this from many......?
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

thebull

Post by thebull » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 am

I think he went to El Toro? I heard that his name was also in the ET head coach pool

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Well well well....,,,
Lofthouse.png
Lofthouse.png (25.31 KiB) Viewed 2950 times
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Cdm96

Post by Cdm96 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Yes, an interesting hire. A whole new coaching crew coming in this spring.

I am no fan of Newport Harbor, but still bummed to see the old staff cleaning out their desks. Maybe CDM will welcome them on board? :-k

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 pm

96 u a CDM Class of 96?

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Interesting, this guy took SD Mesa CC to it's first bowl victory in 30! years, (had a 9-2 record) he has coached at other colleges and was a three year HC at SD Mesa CC. JC Head Coaches have one of the best gigs around, if he was tenured, it takes an act of congress to get rid of you. Why would you want
to leave? - be curious to know why he left? - ESPECIALLY if he was a tenured FBHC!

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:01 am

LA times reports, starting QB wont be returning...it will be interesting and board fodder. Times reports about 50 players were at meeting with the coach. His first move should be to get the numbers up. I can't recall a coach going from a HC, jc job to HS. Wife must be the real HC.

Any word on Costa Mesa job, good district, tough job.

4ks.up

Post by 4ks.up » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:24 am

thought for sure Meyer was going to take it. I guess his office job at Servite works for now.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:11 am

The fall of NH sports started when Eris Tweit the NH AD was fired. http://articles.dailypilot.com/2009-06- ... arbor-high

Coaches speak out for Tweit
Newport Harbor football coach Brinkley, volleyball head man Glenn very disappointed and surprised of athletic director being fired Monday.

June 16, 2009|By David Carrillo Peñaloza

For the past 23 years, Coach Jeff Brinkley has crossed paths with the individual who led him to Newport Harbor High.

That man is Eric Tweit, the real reason Brinkley said he’s a Sailor. Without Tweit’s support, Brinkley isn’t on the verge next season of earning his 200th football victory at the school.

Tweit is the one who told Brinkley of the job opening at Newport Harbor in 1986.

When Brinkley said he walked into the athletic office Tuesday, he and 20 coaches tried to look at the future without Tweit as the leader of the athletic program.
=snip=
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:18 am

TheFan wrote:LA times reports, starting QB wont be returning...it will be interesting and board fodder.
For the record it is true. I had heard this last week but did not want to say anything erroneous, felt best it came out in public first. With the LAT's now publishing it I can certainly confirm it. Sam Barela has hung up his cleats and will stick to hoops.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html

4ks.up

Post by 4ks.up » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Now Garbers can transfer and not have to sit behind Barela

Newps

Post by Newps » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:37 pm

The job was first offered to Meyer from what I’ve heard. He couldn’t accept without a teaching job. That opened the door for Lofthouse. He’s walking into a tough situation. No QB and low numbers. That will not bode well for a spread offense. Not sure Garbers parents will let him transfer there now that Meyer is out and knowing there is no talent on the roster. My guess is they may try to find a better fit for a transfer or stay put and be the backup to Booty and play another position. Newport may finish last in the Sunset next fall.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Trying to run a 100 plus player program with a walk on is very tough to do, not impossible but tough. How many walk on coaches have an income source outside football and can put in the 11 plus months of time.
Is the teaching job up to the school or the district ?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Ya I thought the same thing, isn't this a stretch? Commuting for the next year in as a coach only? A wife and a 2 year old? Anyone have an idea what a public coach would make with no teaching slots available. From what the article said the new guy has about a year to get his credentials to even teach. :eh?:

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:42 pm

IMO, this seems to be a strange hire, community college FB head coaches usually have a master's degree and usually teach a couple PE/Health, etc., type classes in the off season at the community college where
they coach - This guy does not have his teaching credential yet but was the HC for a community
college FB team, did he not teach any classes at SD Mesa?

He must have income coming in from another source,no? (I think you can still teach classes as
long as you are in the active process of obtaining the credential and I believe there is a time
limit for obtaining it) - anyone?

Trenchdad

Post by Trenchdad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

He’s moving into one the wealthiest communities in the US, has 2 yr old. Gotta think there’s some family in the area, maybe in laws with bucks, bringing wife back home to be by filthy rich parents? Money obviously not an issue if leaving a sweet JC gig.

Interesting, does this mean 6 new QBs in the Sunset League? Any idea who they are? Transfers coming in?

Cdm96

Post by Cdm96 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:05 am

Scott Meyer never interviewed at Harbor because there was no teaching job available. He is currently in the mix for the head job at University High School.

Peter Lofthouse already lives in Lake Forest so he does not have to relocate. He will be a walk-on coach as he continues to work on his credetial with the hope that a PE job may open up at Harbor sometime soon. He has already hired an assistant from OCC. He is already making big promises, but has a lot of work ahead of him.

Battle of the Bay heatin up!

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:29 am

So a couple JUCO's gonna try a save the sinking {sunken} ship --:--

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am

It's interesting to say the least - maybe he knows something that most of us don't?