OC Buckeyes to enroll at Servite instead of Los Al?

NotDonaldBren

Re: OC Buckeyes to enroll at Servite instead of Los Al?

Post by NotDonaldBren »

Omar Bongo wrote: Classic LH misdirection...can't refute what he said, can you?
IMG_7585.GIF
IMG_7585.GIF (774.73 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

Omar Bongo wrote: Classic LH misdirection...can't refute what he said, can you?
IMG_7586.GIF
IMG_7586.GIF (870.25 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
Bick

Post by Bick »

downtothewire wrote:Sorry, what I meant was if a new OC has been hired.
I'm thinking Coach Fenton will handle play calling this year. It would be interesting to see his son handle some of the play calling also. Bright young mind I think has the chops to be special in that role at some point on his way to being a HC somewhere down the line.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

NotDonaldBren wrote: Postby NotDonaldBren » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Source of the post Classic LH misdirection...can't refute what he said, can you?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

Professor Fate wrote: Viking93 knows what he's talking about.
IMG_7588.GIF
IMG_7588.GIF (942.69 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

You and Me? I'd rather be the only girl on a Greek freighter.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

If you were 16 again you could just enroll at Servite...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

Omar Bongo wrote: If you were 16 again you could just enroll at Servite...
IMG_7590.GIF
IMG_7590.GIF (494.1 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

Omar Bongo wrote: If you were 16 again you could just enroll at Servite...
IMG_7589.GIF
Trenchdad

Post by Trenchdad »

Maybe they'll "pull a Barnes" and come back to Los Al after being accepted at Servite.
Bick

Post by Bick »

Go easy on Coach Barnes there Trench. My understanding is he left a pretty decent amount of cheddah on the table to remain w/ the Griffins. I don't know him other than a hello, but believe him to be an honorable man that had a real change of heart. It happens.
TheFan

Post by TheFan »

Los Al has the most talent of any team in the league.
HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove »

ventura wrote: Trinity, led first by Bosco then outdone by MD, is the poster child for the new top tier HSFB league. They may be leading the way nationwide in all that is wrong in high school sports.
I submit to you that the Trinity league is a reflection of the national culture in the US. It's not just high school sports that's “gone wrong.” We are obsessed with winning in everything, but in our culture, often we don't stop with winning: we go on to crush all opposition. That can be seen over and over in business. It's as though we obsessively compete with the goal of ending up with no competition at all; of gaining a systemic, rather than a competitive, advantage.

Would anyone expect, with the deep and long traditions in football at MD and Servite, that these schools would not want to compete at the highest level? There is too much history to allow them to roll over now.

If TT is again successful at Servite, we will have 3 super teams in the Trinity. JSerra is undoubtedly right behind them, leaving SMCHS and OL. SMCHS, as a diocesan school, subject to oversight, is at a distinct disadvantage.

I want all the teams to be good, but the system (the CIF) can't cope; neither with the amount of talent being produced, nor with the intensity of competition. Private schooling is experiencing a boom in the US at all levels, high school included.

We may all argue, and many of us desperately try to make sense of things by looking for causes that don't make sense (as this board well demonstrates), but we are all floating on the same water. Some of the schools are coping better than others, but cope we must. The only alternative is to give up, and since in all matters high school, we'd be giving up on kids, shame on us if we do! If we adults can't engage in respectful, rational debate, how can we expect that of our kids?
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

HGL - you do know MD is a Diocesan school, right?
HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove »

I do know. My daughter attended MD. She did not play sports. It was a stretch to pay tuition, but we made it through. Many people, though, really sacrifice to send their kids to Mater Dei. There is need-based tuition assistance available, but it still ain't cheap.

Like SMCHS, MD is also at a disadvantage; exactly the same disadvantage that SMCHS faces. The school is under diocesan oversight. It's a long road in bringing a program to a higher level for a diocesan school that isn't there yet: a lot of work.

MD has youth programs that resulted in more parents taking a look at the school; summer camps and the like.

I think it was the little things, like camps, and then the arrival of JT Daniels, that resulted in last year's team. Keep in mind that Dave Money is a truly excellent quarterback coach, Bruce Rollinson is a tough, but loving coach, and Eric Johnson is a defensive whiz—who's wizardry is actually a lot of repetition in practice (ie. hard work). Who would not want their son to be coached by these guys?

MD is riding a wave, but a couple of years of stumbling, and this too will pass (to the agony of all Monarch fans). JT was a great leader as well as a great QB. Without that leadership, we would not have played so well. The maturity, the leadership, of JT was a big, big factor. He never took his eyes off the win, even in down moments.

We had one year, last year, in which we won the state. One.

People do not seem to remember the down years at MD. I was never so proud of Bruce Rollinson and his staff as I was when we did not have any top talent. They did a whole lot with the kids in those years.

We'd make the playoffs most years, but we could not quite grasp the ring.

It feels like, since we made it one time, a lot of people want to jump on us. Maybe that's because some of those MD teams without great talent were able to beat their favorite team in one of their up years, and spoil their chances. I don't know for sure, but a lot of people think there's something unfair going on at MD when there is not.

Did they think Mater Dei could never win the state title?

Believe me, I myself once or twice had “contact” (like having a random conversation with someone I had not previously met who, when hearing that I was an MD football booster, asked me if I could arrange for their ever so talented son to meet Bruce Rollinson). I dutifully went to coach and asked, and the answer was no: they'd have to investigate the school like other families do: buddy up with an MD student for a day, and see if they liked it.

That's the way it is. Does it sound to you as though I'm lying?
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

HonorGloryLove wrote:I submit to you that the Trinity league is a reflection of the national culture in the US. It's not just high school sports that's “gone wrong.” We are obsessed with winning in everything, but in our culture, often we don't stop with winning: we go on to crush all opposition. That can be seen over and over in business. It's as though we obsessively compete with the goal of ending up with no competition at all; of gaining a systemic, rather than a competitive, advantage.

Would anyone expect, with the deep and long traditions in football at MD and Servite, that these schools would not want to compete at the highest level? There is too much history to allow them to roll over now.

If TT is again successful at Servite, we will have 3 super teams in the Trinity. JSerra is undoubtedly right behind them, leaving SMCHS and OL. SMCHS, as a diocesan school, subject to oversight, is at a distinct disadvantage.

I want all the teams to be good, but the system (the CIF) can't cope; neither with the amount of talent being produced, nor with the intensity of competition. Private schooling is experiencing a boom in the US at all levels, high school included.

We may all argue, and many of us desperately try to make sense of things by looking for causes that don't make sense (as this board well demonstrates), but we are all floating on the same water. Some of the schools are coping better than others, but cope we must. The only alternative is to give up, and since in all matters high school, we'd be giving up on kids, shame on us if we do! If we adults can't engage in respectful, rational debate, how can we expect that of our kids?
I've said for a while now that "what's wrong with high school football" is the mindset that affects the nation at large. We've monetized childrens' games, and in effect, brought them into the capitalistic, business landscape. Now, the question becomes do you really think that what's happening sports is truly wrong because you don't benefit from it, or do you think it's wrong because as a whole, it hurts the entire system?
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

HGL, You're a little over the top (kidding, kidding) but a good guy, never said
anything about lying, btw; not only state champion but national champion as
well as ranked by ALL the established recognized national prep ranking
systems/polls, something that hasn't happen in quite a while, fyi.
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

HonorGloryLove wrote: JT was a great leader as well as a great QB. Without that leadership, we would not have played so well. The maturity, the leadership, of JT was a big, big factor.
No doubt. But so was the best OLine Mater Dei has ever had, maybe any California HS has ever had. A ferocious defense, exceptional coaching at every position. JT wasn't exactly dragging THAT team.

Nor was it lacking in leadership. If you polled the players on that team about its leaders, I'm not sure JT's name would even consistently come up in the top 3. He was the QB, sure, a natural leadership position - and a supernova of a player. But he wasn't even a senior on a team with 43 seniors and 5-6 other 3 year starters.
NotDonaldBren

Post by NotDonaldBren »

BTW - MD is also 28-1 in the last two years, has been to the CIF final 4 of the last 6 years, and has won 59 games in the last 6 seasons -- finishing nationally ranked and in the semis every year but one. This narrative the Sondheimer-ettes are trying to push, that they had "one good year," is white noise. I don't buy that. Its as tired as the narrative that Centennial or Bosco -- other perennial national contenders -- are "upstarts."

JSerra is an upstart (literally). I hope it works out for them, they certainly have the, ahem, resources. But there's a major difference between an upstart and power schools that have been extremely and consistently good at the highest level.

Mater Dei had a breakthrough year in terms of snatching the big trophies; not one good year. We'll see how they build on that, now that they've formed up like Voltron and turned back into the Football Boogeyman that everyone has dreaded them potentially (re-)becoming.
sugarcoat

Post by sugarcoat »

HonorGloryLove, Catholic high schools have bitten the apple of victory at any cost and have lost the very purpose of their schools. They have sold out to attracting winning coaches and players. At any cost; intellectual, moral, or financial. Paying tuition bills was a stretch for you, perhaps a Catholic parent sending your child to a Catholic school for a Catholic education; most likely athletes, who are not always Catholic but most always chosen because of their athletic ability, were on some sort of tuition assistance if not a full ride. Catholic school graduates are learning to win at any cost. For the students it's not a win-win. It's a loss. The real students of the school know it. It's costing the school to lose its reason for existence. It’s a moral issue. This thread began with an accusation of wrong doing and that accusation is yet to be addressed.
Last edited by sugarcoat on Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.