No more playing not true high schools

cruiser
Posts: 2991
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by cruiser »

The Prof is just being sarcastic, a little too much on MD but with the way
his HSFB program has been lately, can you blame him? ---seems like a guy
to have coffee with and agree to disagree, no?
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

by MDDad » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:29 am

That's a pretty asinine thing to say, Professor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
Last edited by Professor Fate on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
User avatar
jb914
Posts: 627
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:57 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by jb914 »

forums really need a sarcasm font.
MDDad
Posts: 12146
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by MDDad »

Professor, you have a consistent ten-year record of denigrating one particular high school. If you want to be facetious or make a joke, maybe you should use a smiley.
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

I'll keep that in mind for your benefit.

Now, if you go back to your own post, you'll see that Omar was asking Downtothewire what HE meant by "real students."

Then, if you go back to Downtothewire's post, you'll see how HE was using the term:
by downtothewire » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 pm

The idea behind clubs is to get those big time superstars away from regular schools and let the real students play for the love of their school.
:mrgreen: "Real students that play for the love of their school," not for furthering their football career at some adopted all-star team put together by raiding other schools' super stars. :mrgreen:

Now...Do you not agree that the players that ride the bench at Mater Dei are real students like I said?
Last edited by Professor Fate on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
User avatar
watchersince68
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by watchersince68 »

Professor Fate wrote:The ones that ride the bench at Mater Dei.
If that is what makes the player a real student, then with Smurfites record lately your guys must ALL
be going to Harvard and Oxford?
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

How about you, Watcher? Do you not agree that those who ride the bench at Mater Dei are "real students?"
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
User avatar
watchersince68
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by watchersince68 »

Dear Professor
I will absolutely agree that those who ride the bench are "Real Students" as well as most of the First stringers.
I will say I cannot vouch for each of the new transfers as of yet. I do know that there is a history of players
that have "left" MD because they cannot handle the curriculum. AND there are some very notable names in that
group.

So can you now vouch for EVERY Servite player over the last 5 years being a "real student".
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

watchersince68 wrote: Dear Professor
I will absolutely agree that those who ride the bench are "Real Students" as well as most of the First stringers.
I will say I cannot vouch for each of the new transfers as of yet. I do know that there is a history of players
that have "left" MD because they cannot handle the curriculum.
Can't handle the curriculum, or can't handle being forced out of Mater Dei, by all-star players raided from other schools?
watchersince68 wrote: So can you now vouch for EVERY Servite player over the last 5 years being a "real student".
No.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
User avatar
watchersince68
Posts: 1517
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by watchersince68 »

Dearest Professor
The two who come to mind were without a doubt 5 star players, sorry will not divulge names.
Mater Dei and these 2 young men were not a good fit.

Now let's talk about what the Servite brass did to a former coach when they wanted potential stars reinstated in the program.
MDDad
Posts: 12146
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by MDDad »

Professor Fate wrote:Can't handle the curriculum, or can't handle being forced out of Mater Dei, by all-star players raided from other schools?
So is that you being sarcastic again, or are you being serious? It's getting impossible to tell.

(1) Some choose to leave because they can't handle the curriculum.
(2) Nobody is forced out unless it's by virtue of poor grades, behavioral problems, or falling too far behind in tuition payments.
(3) Since you use it in almost every post, please define the word "raided". Then list some players who were "raided from other schools".
(4) I told you in private some of the things that Servite has undertaken in terms or recruiting. If they are at all successful in their efforts, it will be interesting to see which side of your mouth you'll whistle out of.
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

Serious.
1. Agree.
2. While literally true, there are other cases where the players feel they have no choice but to leave, because their place on the depth chart has been stolen from them by the school's policy of bringing in ringers.
3. Enticed, either directly, or indirectly, by letting it be known that there are openings at certain positions, and MD's history is that they are willing to accept all comers if they are good enough.
4. So far all I've seen of what you told me, is one 5'8 130 pound sophomore to be DB.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
OC Sports
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by OC Sports »

Professor,

I posed this question to you a few weeks ago. Not sure if you saw it.

If all of the football players that transferred to MD last year had instead transferred to Servite (and let’s assume all were juniors) would you oppose it
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

Hard to answer without knowing who they were, where they came from, and what Year they were. And, while you say to assume they were all juniors, I believe some of them were seniors. So I will just refer you an outline of my views on the subject, which I have posted many times in the past. Here is the most recent time:
Postby Professor Fate » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 pm

My principles on the subject of transfers have always been:

Recruiting kids to enter your school as freshmen is okay.
Transfers after freshman year and before sophomore year are okay.
I don't like junior and senior transfers.
I especially don't like junior and senior transfers from public schools because they can't fulfill the religion class requirements.
Hope that helps. Along with that post, I included an example where I criticized Servite for bringing in three junior transfers from public schools in 2014. If you are that interested in whether I'm consistent or not, you can read it here:

http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... rs#p568647
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
MDDad
Posts: 12146
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by MDDad »

Professor Fate wrote:Serious.
1. Agree.
2. While literally true, there are other cases where the players feel they have no choice but to leave, because their place on the depth chart has been stolen from them by the school's policy of bringing in ringers.
3. Enticed, either directly, or indirectly, by letting it be known that there are openings at certain positions, and MD's history is that they are willing to accept all comers if they are good enough.
4. So far all I've seen of what you told me, is one 5'8 130 pound sophomore to be DB.
Please check your private messages.
OC Sports
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by OC Sports »

Professor,

Thanks for answering the question.

No trying to be a jerk, but I am questioning your consistency. Here is why.

According to your last post, it would be difficult for you to know if you would oppose these transfers if they had gone to Servite instead of MD because you do not know "who they were, where they came from, and what year they were." Yet, without knowing these things you have unequivocally convicted MD of accepting these transfers unjustly. If you don't know then for all you know, every one of these transfers could fit the very standard Servite would have them meet for admission (except that 3 were seniors).

For you, if it is "hard to answer this question" due to you not knowing the entirety of the details, why would you so systematically and relentlessly accuse MD of stealing and poaching players and call for all other schools to abstain from scheduling MD?

In the 2014 posts, when Servite accepted multiple junior transfers from public schools you hardly objected at all. Regarding these transfers you only stated that you "don't like it."
downtothewire
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:53 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by downtothewire »

"Real" students = All the non-mercenaries.

Does that clear it up for everyone? Great. Carry on.
TheFan
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by TheFan »

I Like rule, Not to late to adopt Texas rules.
User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by Professor Fate »

OC Sports wrote: by OC Sports » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Professor,

Thanks for answering the question.

No trying to be a jerk, but I am questioning your consistency. Here is why.
OCSports,

First of all, thank you for the civil tone of your posts.
According to your last post, it would be difficult for you to know if you would oppose these transfers if they had gone to Servite instead of MD because you do not know "who they were, where they came from, and what year they were." Yet, without knowing these things you have unequivocally convicted MD of accepting these transfers unjustly. If you don't know then for all you know, every one of these transfers could fit the very standard Servite would have them meet for admission (except that 3 were seniors).
I said I don't know (now), but I did read up on each one as they happened. I did not, however memorize that information. That's why I said it was hard to answer the question, because I'm too lazy to look each one of them up again. I thought it would be easier (especially for me :mrgreen: ) if you applied my guidelines to the players you were wondering about in your hypothetical situation.
For you, if it is "hard to answer this question" due to you not knowing the entirety of the details, why would you so systematically and relentlessly accuse MD of stealing and poaching players and call for all other schools to abstain from scheduling MD?
The 2018 recruiting season has already been worse than 2017...with 4 months to go yet. Even those I haven't memorized, and would have to research them again to answer, if you apply your question to 2018. My accusations and calls for public schools to stop scheduling MD comes from the constant bombardment of this transfer, and that transfer, and the other transfer, and yet another transfer...well you get the idea. And all of them 4* or 5* players from other schools.
In the 2014 posts, when Servite accepted multiple junior transfers from public schools you hardly objected at all. Regarding these transfers you only stated that you "don't like it."
No, I said considerably more than that. I also said, "But now...Servite seems to have decided that they can't win against other schools' mercenaries and ringers without bringing in their own mercenaries and ringers. So bring those terms on and you'll find me agreeing with you now." And, "But I am saddened by this development, and am sorry for the loyal Friar who would have, and should have started at that spot." And, "I hate transfers to any school, including Servite, if those transfers violate the above principles."

I had inside info on all three of those transfers, and I knew there were special circumstances there, but everybody says that, so I didn't bother, and I'm glad to have seen that more didn't follow. (Interestingly, all three of them played the same position, so if Servite was recruiting, they were pretty lousy at it. :mrgreen: )

There are indications that some transfers may be coming to Servite that would violate my "red lines" if you will, because of the exodus of talent we saw this season. I am against that and will say so if they show up. But as I mentioned in a previous post, all I've see so far, is a 5'8" 130 pound sophomore to be DB, and he has been ruled ineligible until 2019.

Again, I don't think you are trying to be a jerk, at all, and I appreciate the tone of your questions.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
templar83
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:27 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: No more playing not true high schools

Post by templar83 »

Professor Fate wrote: There are indications that some transfers may be coming to Servite that would violate my "red lines" if you will
Red lines, truly? I gotta ask, what would the fallout be if this junction to which you refer is compromised? I mean the metaphor implies serious consequences. Would you, for instance, once again change your screen name in yet another attempt to reinvent yourself? Or perhaps you could commit to be slightly less pontifical in your views of the state of high school football. How about a promise to seek professional help in dealing with a life that apparently peaked in high school leaving you so bitter over the decades-long inability of your alma mater to approach the continuing success of its chief rival that your bitterness has turned your golden years to bronze. Even your current screen name and picture references a movie in which your character is a buffoonish villain ( assisted at one point by his sidekick dressed as, you guessed it, a small Friar ) unable to compete with his chief rival . At any rate, just curious as to what exactly the threat entails...
Post Reply