OC Varsity Pre-Season Top 10

SK80

OC Varsity Pre-Season Top 10

Post by SK80 »

So it appears we will be getting a "TOP 10" countdown over the coming week or two. Coming in at #10 is your EDISON CHARGERS
Edison10.png
Edison10.png (342.08 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
No. 10 Edison optimistic it can reload after graduating stars

Edison, ranked No. 10 in the Register’s preseason rankings, returns just three starters on offense and five on defense from a team that went 8-4 in 2017.

The biggest departures are quarterback Griffin O’Connor, who graduated as Edison’s all-time leading passer, and David Atencio, the school’s all-time leader in receptions.

The Chargers have replaced the duo with a core group of senior leaders. The cast includes linebacker Luke Hoggard (6-0, 210), wide receiver/cornerback Isaiah Palmer (5-8, 170), running back/linebacker Cameron Eden (5-10, 200) and offensive lineman Grant Conaway (6-2, 218). All four are coming off all-league seasons.

EDISON PREVIEW

Five Players to Watch

Patrick Angelovic, QB, Sr.

Grant Conaway, OL. Sr.

Cameron Eden, RB/LB, Sr.

Luke Hoggard, LB, Sr.

Isaiah Palmer, WR/DB, Sr.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/30/n ... ing-stars/
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: OC Varsity Pre-Season Top 10

Post by John Q. Public »

I cut down the quote and added the link before Albano comes knocking on the door accusing us of plagiarism.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Damn JQP I never get it right! Usually if i add the link you delete the post now I put more content and no link and you cut it down... :bonk:

I actually think Dan is cool with us running his stuff he is getting his name on it!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Coming in at number #9 is Trinity League rebuild in the SERVITE FRIARS under Coach Troy Thomas.

No. 9 Servite believes it can succeed after high-profile departures
thomas-video2_-1.jpg
"ANAHEIM – Servite’s football team didn’t have to search far for the perfect theme for its season.

The Friars have been breaking huddles at practices by chanting one of the school’s best-known mottos, “Credo,” which is Latin for “I believe.”

“That’s our big mantra this year,” Servite senior lineman Richard Krebs said. “You got to believe in the process.”

Servite, ranked No. 9 in the Register’s preseason rankings, is rebuilding after several high-profile seniors-to-be transferred to other schools after a 6-5 season in 2017. The Friars also hired a new but familiar coach in Troy Thomas.

Read more here: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/07/31/n ... witter.com

SERVITE PREVIEW

Five players to watch

Cade Fuller, WR/S/P, Sr.

Richard Krebs, OL/DL, Sr.

Isaiah Leuta-Ulu, RB/LB, Sr.

Blaze McKibbin, QB, Sr.

Jake Overman, TE/DE, Jr.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

OK JPQ I'll do my best! Can we remove the explanation now from the thread so to stay on topic! PRETTY PLEASE! Oops sorry we don't like CAPS do we.... ROFL
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Your wish is my command, sir.

ALL CAPS are fine in moderation. They're annoying in thread titles though, unless it involves a declaration of war or something.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
TheFan

Post by TheFan »

I guess this Top 10, is not based on passing league.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

I think its going to be tough for Edison this year. They lost alot, but are very well coached as usual. CDM, AND LOS AL,
seem to be the upper, but thats why they play the game. I know La Habra is in d-2 and loves being the under dog, nobody expecting much, under the radar, etc... #lovingthechallenge :rockon:
SK80

Post by SK80 »

La Habra can attract the transfers now so I suspect they are one of a few publics that will be able to rival MV.

I see that Edision has but 3 returning starters on offense and not much more on defense. Los Al on the other hand has many returning which gives them the edge IMHO over Edison. Where CDM fits in here I can not say. They obviously have some of the OC's bigger name talents at skill positions but the team is basically in the Edison boat with very few returning starters. CDM looks primed to be the "it" team in 2019. If I am a RB or a lineman in the public OC's I would look to joining CDM next season. That offense will be stellar. Then again I do not know how anyone can just move into CDM on a whim :eh?:
TheFan

Post by TheFan »

Now that Mike Moschetti got sick of La Mirada admin, lack of program support etc...LH has the run of the area. LM was getting the cream of the crop. One linemen transfeedr back to LH after Mike left. The Samoan pipeline Mike had was second to MD. So many LB, Carson, and Paramont kids were showing up at LM.
SK at the Mitt comp, I know its not passing league and the game is not blocking and tackling, I Edison has two sophomore linemen that look like they kid be seniors. Any Sunset coach would love to have them and they would start on every team. If the new coordinator learn anything from the old, they will always be tough. I would never county them out. Too well coached, a lot of kids from their feeder program. Don't start hedge you CMD passing league glory by saying next year. Any team that has three D1 kids on their offense, better be the league favorite.
According to passing league, CDM has the Sunset version of Gronk. I would to see some transfers make it into CDM, I be curious of the comments from the parents and boosters when Johnny is a back up due to a transfer. Besides CDM will need all the help they can get, when they jump up to D2 next year. Its a passing league lock.
TomDrake

Post by TomDrake »

SK80 wrote:La Habra can attract the transfers now so I suspect they are one of a few publics that will be able to rival MV.

I see that Edision has but 3 returning starters on offense and not much more on defense. Los Al on the other hand has many returning which gives them the edge IMHO over Edison. Where CDM fits in here I can not say. They obviously have some of the OC's bigger name talents at skill positions but the team is basically in the Edison boat with very few returning starters. CDM looks primed to be the "it" team in 2019. If I am a RB or a lineman in the public OC's I would look to joining CDM next season. That offense will be stellar. Then again I do not know how anyone can just move into CDM on a whim :eh?:
I’m not sure how much Los Al is returning. They have a real good RB coming back, but have to replace the best part of their team last year in their nose guard and all 3 LBs. They also have a new qb. Will they reload? Absolutely. The consistent teams always do, but they’re not a roster heavy on returning starters either.

It sound like you’re tossing a line out for a transfer OL and RB for CDM. I thought your point of pride is that CDM is made up of neighborhood players, sans transfers. Besides you don’t have to move to CDM to transfer there. You don’t have to move at all and sit out 5 games. Or you can move into the district boundaries and not sit out at all. The Newport-Mesa district has some good size boundaries.

CDM, Los Al, and Edison are all pretty much made up of local kids with a handful of transfers here and there (usually Trinity bounce backs). All 3 have solid feeder programs that help. In the last 2 or 3 years you haven’t heard of too many big time players transferring to any of these schools. Maybe the brothers from Uni to CDM a couple of years ago, but not much else.
ocfootball

Post by ocfootball »

Stop making so much sense Tom, it makes this board way too boring! Might as well as start posting about getting counterfeit money......

But IMO CDM is the 2019 Sunset Champ, give them the certificate/trophy.... but i heard their top RB just transferred to Newport...any truth SK80? Why? No OL?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Who was their top RB?
BBB

Post by BBB »

Does it matter who is CDM’s RB? I bet their quick passing game with all those studs (plus add the Schlomo kid who came from MD and is really good for this level) is just enough to win league. They were young last year and look at all of the success they had (nearly even beat JSerra). Plus they’re well coached. SK80 beat me down and made me a believer!
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

ya, Los Al became pretty mediocre during Barnes last decade as Head Coach, winning only 1 playoff game. They did manage to make it to the semi-finals in the Ray Fenton era, I forget, either the 2016 season or last season, which was Los Al's first time going that deep in the playoffs since 2004, when they lost to Poly in the CIF D-1 Finals, Desean Jackson was on that Poly team at the time.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

What happened to Brandon Seaward RB / LB from CDM frosh? He was tight with the Booty kid. Did he go to Texas too? --:--
SK80

Post by SK80 »

@HTL until Coach O'Shea makes comment on it I will defer any thought or sentiment on the Seaward and Warner transfer story. You can read it here for yourselves. http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html

As for hedging any glory for 2019, CDM's Sunset version of Gronk (I do know Redman was again this week @ Michigan w/ new TE coach), local kids and transfers, I will save comment for the Sunset League thread.

I will take any opportunity however to accept an offer to give BBB a "beat down" and converting him to a true believer! #-o
scj60

Post by scj60 »

[quote="TheFan"]Now that Mike Moschetti got sick of La Mirada admin, lack of program support etc...LH has the run of the area. LM was getting the cream of the crop. One linemen transfeedr back to LH after Mike left. The Samoan pipeline Mike had was second to MD. So many LB, Carson, and Paramont kids were showing up at LM./quote]

Good call. All the Samoan kids are going to La Habra and St. Paul now while LM sinks into oblivion, turning into a John Glenn clone.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Landing in the #8 spot,

No. 8 San Clemente keeps expectations high with new-look team
0802_SPT_OCR-L-HSFB-NO8-2-1.jpg
"There are new players in critical spots and a ramped-up schedule. But the internal expectations remain sky-high for San Clemente’s football team.

“In my opinion, that’s a sign of a good program,” Tritons coach Jaime Ortiz said. “Our goals remain the same. Our goal is to be league champs. … Our goal is to win CIF every year.”

San Clemente has flourished the past four years with rising expectations. The Tritons are 45-10 during the stretch, including two league titles, one CIF-SS crown and a state championship."

"Dual-threat quarterback Brendan Costello (6-1, 195) tops the list of returning seniors. Last season, the Oklahoma State commit passed for 2,132 yards with 23 touchdowns and only two interceptions. He also rushed for almost 400 yards.

The Tritons are well known for producing Division I-A quarterbacks but tight end also has been a strong position in recent years under offensive coordinator Troy Kopp. San Clemente features two 6-foot-5 tight ends with Jay Baggs (228 pounds) and Wakely Lush (235 pounds).

Baggs and Lush are looking for breakout seasons after producing limited offensive numbers last season.

Senior wide receiver Jaydel Jenkins (6-3, 185) is another large target for Costello.

RJ Donaldson (5-10, 170) and promising sophomore James Bohls (6-0, 195) will give the Tritons a “thunder (Bohls) and lightning (Donaldson)” attack at running back."

SAN CLEMENTE AT A GLANCE

Five players to watch

Jay Baggs, TE/DL, Sr.

Brendan Costello, QB, Sr.

RJ Donaldson, RB, Sr.

Rob Farney, LB, Sr.

Ray Ferrell, CB, Sr.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Seward to Newport? Not sure if that was a good move? I know the kid was looking at La Habra a bit, but whatever is best for him and his family. The kid is a hard runner.
San Clemente will always be a force in the south coast league. Tough kids, good coaching. Kopp knows how to develop QB'S and Costello will be great this year as a dual threat.