Bosco vs Mater Dei

Ramon

Re: Bosco vs Mater Dei

Post by Ramon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:15 am

I understand the sentimental nature of seeing the end of High School Sports as we know it, really I do...But the new reality is pretty exciting, and gives many kids the ability to shine on the national level...HS Sports is big money now...It gives the schools and programs the ability to generate revenue streams we never could have imagined in our day.

Glad to see Troy back at Servite bringing back the fire in the belly...It should be MD/Servite as top dogs on the Trinity...Sorry SM, OL & OL...I'm a traditionalist. :wink:
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:14 am

"...Sorry SM, OL & OL...I'm a traditionalist."
Damn tradition mocks OLU twice....!! :lol:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:32 am

One of those OL's was supposed to be a JS :lol:
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 am

Professor Fate wrote:My numbers are a bit different from yours. From this season, CIF shows 21 transfers. Minus one who went back to his old school, four that are duplicates, and one who doesn't play football. That leaves 15 transfers. Add two from last year, and we are up to 17 transfers on Servite's roster.

Now, while you are talking numbers, as usual, I checked on Servite's 17 transfers, and found that:

One came to Servite as a 2nd semester freshman.

Ten came to Servite as sophomores.

Four came to Servite as juniors.

Two came to Servite as a seniors.

Of these 17 transfers, only ONE has any stars at all. ONE (1), Blaze McKibbin, (3 stars) had any stars at all.

Again, you are talking numbers; I'm talking about MD stealing other schools established star players.
Sorry, man, but the CIF website shows one transfer who transferred in 16/17, eight who transferred in 17/18, and 14 who transferred in 18/19. In California, that adds up to 23. If you have a dispute with those numbers, it's between you and the CIF.

Domingo

Post by Domingo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am

RPW wrote:Go back and look at Artesia HS Basketball in 90's. Public school with one of the most dominating basketball programs in California. Wayne Merino built a program with kids from ALL over. Parents and kids worked the system to get kids into that school. Was money or benefits offered? I am gonna guess - yep. I remember Mater Dei coaches coming out to Cerritos College for pre-high school basketball camps and pulling Mike Mitchel and others from the area for their program.

HS sports has been a business for a long long time...
You're right, HS Basketball has been a business for a very long time. Which is why so many ignore the sport altogether because it's an extension of the crooked AAU circuit. I'm not talking about HS Basketball. I'm interested in when YOU believe HS Football became big business? How do you know if a school is treating their football program as a business? I think you have two very obvious examples in SJB and Mater Dei that have completely transformed their respective programs into essentially the IMG's of the West but I figure the rest of the Trinity will follow in their footsteps.

Should a school that does NOT subscribe to that business model, have to play the SJB's and Mater Dei's for the same season-ending championship?

Domingo

Post by Domingo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:22 am

Ramon wrote:I understand the sentimental nature of seeing the end of High School Sports as we know it, really I do...But the new reality is pretty exciting, and gives many kids the ability to shine on the national level...HS Sports is big money now...It gives the schools and programs the ability to generate revenue streams we never could have imagined in our day.

Glad to see Troy back at Servite bringing back the fire in the belly...It should be MD/Servite as top dogs on the Trinity...Sorry SM, OL & OL...I'm a traditionalist. :wink:
Yes it is. Glad to see people finally admitting it. If you outspend everyone else and your starting line-up is full of junior and senior D1 transfers which consequently renders 99% of your games meaningless and over by halftime, what's the point? Wasn't it more interesting when every school in the Trinity League battled it out every week and every school had a chance to win the league title? Wasn't it more interesting to see if your discipline, pride, poise and courage could overcome your athletic disadvantage on the field (MD v Eisenhower, Poly, Amat)?

Business. SMH

outsider

Post by outsider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:43 am

Ramon wrote:I understand the sentimental nature of seeing the end of High School Sports as we know it, really I do...But the new reality is pretty exciting, and gives many kids the ability to shine on the national level...HS Sports is big money now...It gives the schools and programs the ability to generate revenue streams we never could have imagined in our day.

Ramon, as an Alum, your post clearly is the reason why I haven't and wont attend another MD game . There was a time when the players reflected the value system of the school, but that is long gone. I know this is the current culture surrounding HS football, but it brings me no joy to say I am part of that program. Your team and the teams of the past were a source of pride for the Alums. Its now become a marketing tool for donations, not much more.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 am

I have, do an will always support the 3 Stripes...Till I Die..Am I pleased with the current state of High School Football...Nope...But Mater Dei is my heart...I will not forsake it...Pride Poise Courage

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:18 pm

I am with you Ramon. I haven't missed a game in 20 years and only 5 since 1968.

ventura

Post by ventura » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 pm

outsider wrote:Ramon, as an Alum, your post clearly is the reason why I haven't and wont attend another MD game . There was a time when the players reflected the value system of the school, but that is long gone. I know this is the current culture surrounding HS football, but it brings me no joy to say I am part of that program. Your team and the teams of the past were a source of pride for the Alums. Its now become a marketing tool for donations, not much more.

Exactly. Good one, outsider.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:50 pm

MDDad wrote: Sorry, man, but the CIF website shows one transfer who transferred in 16/17, eight who transferred in 17/18, and 14 who transferred in 18/19. In California, that adds up to 23. If you have a dispute with those numbers, it's between you and the CIF.
What are you babbling about?

CIF site shows:
Zero '16/'17 transfers that are still on Servite's roster.
The eight you refer to in '17/'18 includes two players who have never played anywhere but Servite. They left for 3 or 4 days in January, then changed their minds and returned. And one other isn't eligible until 2019, and one only played basketball and ran track at Servite last year. So only four transfers in '17/'18 on this year's active varsity roster. That's a total of 21 over three years.

But again, you are citing numbers. I am talking about stealing star players who were established stars at other high schools. The origin of this argument was a Monarch poster trying to compare Servite's only transfer with any stars at all, to Mater Dei robbing established 3*, 4* and 5* transfers on their roster which number at least nine and probably more. I notice you didn't address that issue.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm

outsider wrote: Ramon, as an Alum, your post clearly is the reason why I haven't and wont attend another MD game . There was a time when the players reflected the value system of the school, but that is long gone. I know this is the current culture surrounding HS football, but it brings me no joy to say I am part of that program. Your team and the teams of the past were a source of pride for the Alums. Its now become a marketing tool for donations, not much more.
Thank you for that post, Outsider.

Things have indeed taken a turn for the worst. I will, and have readily admitted to "hating" and being jealous of Mater Dei's success, but I had always respected them.

I no longer respect them like I used to.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Professor Fate wrote:What are you babbling about?
I still believe it's you who is defensively babbling, Professor. I don't like to use kids names negatively on this forum, so I'll PM you the 23 names of transfers on this year's varsity roster and you can correct them as you like.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:29 pm

17, 21, 23 who cares the exact amount as that adds up to who is what "better" or "worse" at recruiting? We all know its gone off the hook as the way to build a team..., so now that we are here why go all petty by numbers of.... those doing it now simply compete for who does it to a "higher" or to a "lesser" degree? Who gonna win tis debate... :roll:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 pm

SK80, I agree with you totally. My position on this forum has historically been that most of the top schools do it (certainly all six in the Trinity League), and those that get the best results are those that have football programs that are the most attractive to potential transfers, and not by cheating or using other insidious inducements.

It's when bitter fans like the Professor use words like "went out and got" or "stole" that the argument begins. You might notice that they never bother to define exactly what those terms mean.

Sweetness34

Post by Sweetness34 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:48 pm

Professor Fate wrote: So only four transfers in '17/'18 on this year's active varsity roster.
You can't go by CIF site, too many inconsistencies.. not everyone is/was listed on the site..
These are Servite's new additions to this year football team

Zedakiah Centers 5-10 165 Jr. WR - Los Alamitos

Tobiah Centers 5-11 160 Soph. WR - Los Alamitos

Daniel Anderson 5-10 165 Soph. WR/DB - Los Alamitos

Damien Moun 5-11 175 Jr. QB/DB - Patterson, Oakland - Played basketball/Track spring `18, not Football.

Blaze McKibben 6-5 200 Sr. QB - Serra/Westlake

Noah Avinger 5-11 170 Soph. DB/WR - Los Alamitos

Ender Aguilar 6-5 245 Jr. TE/DE - Orange Lutheran

Harrison Coffell 5-10 180 Soph. RB/FS - Los Alamitos

Kyle Bandy 5-10 190 Soph. LB/RB - St. John Bosco

Chris Villareal 5-11 218 Sr. LB St. John Bosco

Daniel Bates 5-10 170 Jr. WR/DB - Paramount

Chad Beauchamp 5-10 175 Jr. DL - Whitter Christian

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:07 pm

@MDDad that's why i have coined the phrase or idea.. "Destination Schools". there are those know for it and those that do it WAY better than most everyone else. I don't like it but as we have said "It Is What it Is'. I will enjoy it exactly for that, when MD plays IMG or Bosco I will appreciate some aspects of it. When they tackle the La Mirada's I will breathe a "SIGH"!

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Sweetness34 wrote: So only four transfers in '17/'18 on this year's active varsity roster
So if you go out and "steal" players it turns out aren't good enough to make varsity, it doesn't "count"... :roll:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Again you are being obtuse. The point is (and you know it) that MD is stealing other schools' already established stars. It's hardly likely that Servite (or any other school for that matter) would bother trying to steal players that...to use your words..."aren't good enough to make varsity."

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:42 pm

No, the point is you seem to be an extremely unhappy person and are obsessed with blaming Mater Dei for your unhappiness. I wish you would get help
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump