Bosco vs Mater Dei

BBB

Re: Bosco vs Mater Dei

Postby BBB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Omar, what was Bryce’s QB rating in the Bosco game?

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:16 pm

JSerra had a good look at a better version of Bryce Young in Pinnacle HS's Spencer Rattler (#1 dual-threat in class of 2019). Took 3 quarters but eventually they got at him and came from pretty far back to win.

They also got at DJ at Bosco-MD didn't.

If JSerra gets at Young-upset special.

BBB

Postby BBB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 pm

I agree daddyooo. The key to stopping Bryce is to put pressure on him as long as you contain him. Then he becomes far more average. That’s what Upland did to him last year when they blasted Cathedral, just as Bosco did yesterday with MD.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:29 pm

if you can find the tape of JSerra vs Pinnacle (it's on YouTube) you will get a good idea of how they will attack Young.

Eventually they wore out his line (took 3 quarters)-and their huge offensive line wore out their defense.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 am

BBB wrote:The key to stopping Bryce is to put pressure on him as long as you contain him. Then he becomes far more average.

That's a very astute observation, especially considering that it's true of every quarterback in the history of the game.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:05 am

Thems' 'pearls of wisdom there now ain't it!

Good deduction BBB !

200-1.gif
200-1.gif (527.6 KiB) Viewed 405 times

BBB

Postby BBB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:17 am

MDDad wrote:That's a very astute observation, especially considering that it's true of every quarterback in the history of the game.

Fair point, and you get bonus points for giving SK80 an opportunity to basically parrot your accurate take (do you not get the irony in pointing out the obvious given MDDad had just said I pointed out the obvious SK80?).

So let me clarify. Bryce doesn’t play like a five star when in the pocket. He isn’t super polished with reads and his timing is off too often. Drops his eyes too soon and gets happy feet. He is much better off extending plays and finding the open guy vs throwing a guy open (unless it’s a back shoulder to Bru, which he does really well). He also keys on guys far too much. Better observation?
Last edited by BBB on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ventura

Postby ventura » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Exactly. Many were saying last year that 2017 was the year to beat Bosco; with all their returners they were going to be the team to beat in 2018. Perhaps the quick addition of Bryce Young and Dollars and Criddell made some forget just how big it was going to be to lose Daniels, Brown, and St. Brown. The revenge factor for Bosco was likely exacerbated by Mater Dei's jawing with and scheduling of IMG, as if the Trinity League was a forgone conclusion and the Monarchs simply wanted to burnish their impending National Championship bona fides.

It's easy for me to say, since Servite is nowhere near the conversation (softball for Omar), nor do we want to be, but for the sake of sanity I hope Mater Dei and St. John Bosco will cease this unhealthy obsession with "winning the Natty", which at the high school level is mythical at best. From California to Texas and Florida, and throwing in Georgia and the Mid-Atlantic region, there's arguably a dozen teams in any given year that could call themselves the best, so what's the point, since it can never be settled on the field? Let IMG be the Oak Hill Academy of HSFB. Who cares about them? The focus should be on competing and winning League, and occasionally winning CIF. Even the "getting to State" or bust mentality has warped the perspective. The lopsided scores in and out of league, the giddiness over "running clocks", the fact that only one matchup per year has any meaning, has sucked the excitement out of what should be a compelling Trinity League season. And now the contagion has spread to JSerra, which was established in the first place to be a faithfully "Catholic" school (that lasted about ten years). Stop the arms race and the status-seeking as a "national program" or a "destination school." It's absurd and can only be sustained by continually bringing in 4-star transfers from other schools, which will ultimately boomerang with compromised standards, increased resentment from the rest of SoCal HSFB, and, ultimately, CIF action.

This will likely fall on deaf ears, as the intoxication of success is just that, but still my two cents.

Well put Credo. But yes, I don't see any change in the status quo other than maybe a couple more teams joining SJB and MD's game plan, resulting in a couple more interesting match ups during the year. It's just the way it is, unless the template for these two programs doesn't yield the popularity and $$ anticipated when the plan was set in motion.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 am

One thing is sure any other team not named Bosco or OLu in CIF-SS would give their left nut to have Bryce as the QB.

Bosco had a plan on both sides of the ball and they executed that plan. Congrats go to the Braves, it was an impressive win.

MD needs to nut up and move on to the next game.

BBB

Postby BBB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

So your lack of any contradictory information basically means you agree with my take. Cool.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 am

BBB, maybe you should talk to your therapist about this need for validation of your posts. :lol:

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am

hmm, interestingly enough, even after Saturday, USAToday national prep FB rankings (one of the
biggies along with MaxPreps); , keeps MD at number#2 in the nation! JSerra comes in at national#21
in the poll. The MD/JSerra matchup this week will draw a large crowd, I'm betting, - will the game
still be played at JSerra's small stadium?

Parking a problem for a game like this, even if parking on the school building's site and
walking across the bridge?
Last edited by cruiser on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exocet 98

Postby Exocet 98 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am

Red wrote:Not a big deal Exocet. I'm hoping MD plays the devils in the playoffs again and beats them by 50. Losing to Bosco is not embarrassing at all. Not scoring 121 points on your pathetic devils would be. Pissing on a Bosco fans grave like you did was embarrassing.

You answered as I knew you would. That loss really hurt you deeply. 41 -18 OWNED !!
Dilly Dilly !! :mrgreen: :cheers:

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am

BBB wrote:And MD had to play a freshman at DB? He got SMOKED.

True and this I don't understand. Why would anybody other than Ricks or Green be at the corners and Nimmo and Cridell at safety? I understand rotation, nickel packages, etc but what happened to their vaunted secondary?

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm

cruiser wrote:hmm, interestingly enough, even after Friday ' USAToday national prep FB rankings (one of the
biggies along with MaxPreps); , keeps MD at number#2 in the nation! JSerra comes in at national#21
in the poll. The MD/JSerra matchup this week will draw a large crowd, I'm betting, - will the game
still be played at JSerra's small stadium?

Parking a problem for a game like this, even if parking on the school building's site and
walking across the bridge?

For a full-house like this they will probably have access to SVC and Kaiser lots.

The park-n-ride lots on the other side of 5 usually have spaces in the evening as well.

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:18 pm

ventura wrote:Well put Credo. But yes, I don't see any change in the status quo other than maybe a couple more teams joining SJB and MD's game plan, resulting in a couple more interesting match ups during the year. It's just the way it is, unless the template for these two programs doesn't yield the popularity and $$ anticipated when the plan was set in motion.

Given what's gone on at SJB and now MD, the other TL schools had to make the decision on whether or not to compete or resign themselves to years of 49-0 losses to rival schools. JSerra chose to compete; the recent changes at Servite will eventually show that to be the case there as well. SM/OLu-jury is out.

Luca

Postby Luca » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Yes, and many of those are the same people here who whine nonstop about transfers day in and day out...sound familiar?

Sure does. There are guys over on the other side of the board who whine nonstop 2.26 times per day or more about "The inevitable disaster that will be the Trump administration" and "The president is a scumbag", etc, etc.

Now with about 5000 posts combined between 6 or 7 interminable whiners. Sounds terribly familiar..........Luca

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:08 pm

BBB wrote:MD wins this game.

The MD pass defense will shut down DJ (5 TDs) and the underachieving Bosco WRs.

Don’t see Holani (12 carries/123 yds/2 TDs) carrying them to victory either.

Bosco’s schedule didn’t adequately prepare them for this matchup.

MD wins by 10-14 points.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:22 pm

@OmarriB

#TurnUpTheVolume

giphy-12.gif
giphy-12.gif (104.5 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Luca wrote:There are guys over on the other side of the board who whine nonstop 2.26 times per day or more about "The inevitable disaster that will be the Trump administration" and "The president is a scumbag", etc, etc.

Kudos in not letting any opportunity, no matter how unrelated or off-topic, prevent you from running to the defense of your paradigm of intellect and maturity currently squatting in the Oval Office. How about summoning the courage to comment on political matters in the appropriate forum and not cluttering up the sports discussions here with your whine-and-run routine? Thanks.

Return to “High School”