Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

Domingo

Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

Post by Domingo »

No chance. Zero. Bosco changed the game forever and in doing so destroyed the Poly Football Program. You will never see LB Poly reach the semi's of a D1 Playoff ever again. Who ever thought in a million years you'd EVER hear that?!? Mater Dei has taken what Jason Negro did at Bosco to another level by buying any and all available football talent regardless of school year. We have never seen so many highly recruited junior and senior transfers into a football program in CA State history. The kids Mater Dei is buying from the I.E. is now taking a toll on Corona Centennial. We have all seen the best football teams Matt Logan will ever coach. CC will remain the class of the I.E. but similar to Poly, their run is over. Mission Viejo will continue to be the best public school in Orange County but will never be a serious challenger for a championship. The Trinity League has a VERY good chance of filling all 4 spots in the D1 Semifinal this season. No league has ever been able to say that.

Bob Johnson was right when he said he lost to the best team money can buy. Publics will be saying those exact same words for years to come. The irony in all of this is that the privates are using public school kids to destroy the public school programs. Who would have thought.
Professor Fate

Re: Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

Post by Professor Fate »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The only way to stop these 4 county all-star teams is for Athletic Directors to refuse to schedule them.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Domingo wrote:No chance. Zero. Bosco changed the game forever and in doing so destroyed the Poly Football Program. You will never see LB Poly reach the semi's of a D1 Playoff ever again. Who ever thought in a million years you'd EVER hear that?!? Mater Dei has taken what Jason Negro did at Bosco to another level by buying any and all available football talent regardless of school year. We have never seen so many highly recruited junior and senior transfers into a football program in CA State history. The kids Mater Dei is buying from the I.E. is now taking a toll on Corona Centennial. We have all seen the best football teams Matt Logan will ever coach. CC will remain the class of the I.E. but similar to Poly, their run is over. Mission Viejo will continue to be the best public school in Orange County but will never be a serious challenger for a championship. The Trinity League has a VERY good chance of filling all 4 spots in the D1 Semifinal this season. No league has ever been able to say that.

Bob Johnson was right when he said he lost to the best team money can buy. Publics will be saying those exact same words for years to come. The irony in all of this is that the privates are using public school kids to destroy the public school programs. Who would have thought.
If there is a chance it will come from CC, who still has pull in the IE for top talent to move to them and have to not move too far, but their time of having their district cut may be coming and that will hurt them more then any transfer rule, the size of the school may get cut.
Folsom is another because again they have a wide geographical range without other D1 "glamor" schools around them. So there again they have a chance to pull in a lot of talent.
San Diego with a team like Helix could with their geographical surroundings.

As to Poly, more then Bosco it was the school district changing their own transfer rule and not allowing certain transfers that has been the biggest situation for them to deal with.

The biggest school to get hit from Bosco was Lakewood. They went from D1 caliber to non existent and this year a D8 school. In 2011 Bosco played Lakewood and the staring Sophomore DB for Lakewood was a Starting DB at Bosco the next year. I think there were 5 or 6 kids from Lakewood if my memory serves me correctly that came to Bosco that next year. not all varsity quality kids in their next year being underclassmen but the move had started.

The one other comment I would like to toss in there, the South Coast League had all 3 of their teams that were qualified for the D1 playoffs in the Simi games. It is kinda hard to get 4 teams into the Simi when you cant get 4 teams qualified..smile.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

The moore league, once a tough league as Poly and Lakewood came 1 and 2 respectfully , year in and year out.
Jordan, Wilson, Millikan, then added schools like Cabrillo, compton, etc.. Bosco snatched these kids up, the quality ones anyway... Wadood. example. I'm sure there is still talent there. Kids go where they think they can play and get the most exposure. How about Carson, Narbonne, Serra, crenshaw, dorsey?
All of these schools DO NOT HAVE the financial backing of a Bosco or MD. Its tough without the money, big lineman, coaching staff and drones, etc.. that all the privledged schools have.
Public schools to possibly take a shot at D-1 TITLE, in the future??? Not seeing it.
which is why, they should be in seperate divisions. MV is close, CC has done it, but hell, some Trinity teams cant beat MV. OLU, SERVITE, SM, JSERRA.
D-2
very good quality teams that could beat some D-1 TEAMS but, to win it??? :eh?: --:-- ](*,)
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

I remember writing about Bosco making Poly an average team over a year ago by taking their kids, and all I heard was "name one kid " "Bosco hasn't taken anyone, name one"

Like I live in the neighborhood and can name them?

All you have to do is have EYES to see the difference in Poly and the rise of Bosco, and the fall of Lakewood and the rise of Bosco

I'm NOT complaining about it just pointing it out.

"IF" MD has taken it to a new level the blame falls squarely on Negro and Bosco's shoulders the barn door is open and they are NOT closing it soon, now that Bruce has the National Championship do you really think he is going to pull back the reins?
It's going to get worse before it gets better, the ONLY limiting factor might be a kid "won't sit" if you have too many guys, kids and dad won't take it and they will move, the hope will be they all move together to the same school, if they all spread out they won;t have much of an effect, one superstar does not a program make!!!
SK80

Post by SK80 »

The flood gates will not close anyone notice that HS Football is going prime time and by that MEDIA and ADVERTISING dollars have entered the picture. If there is an audience for big time football at the high school level than the money will show the way. To keep that audience and the investment worthwhile only the BEST teams can be sold.... Thus you will need Boscos and Mater Dei's. With that a depleted public school football system.

I spent a few years grinding all about this but have come to the realization it is now what it is, the open borders, transfer world or "new era" as we sometimes call it is here for the time being. I have separated the two in my head so to easier digest. I'll still follow the Trinity teams, will follow the players as I expect many to be seen on Saturdays. But I won't let the enjoyment of the "game" be ruined by all this. I will continue to have as much fun if not more following my D4 and D3 teams as that is what represent "Friday Night Lights" to me. =D>
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball »

To answer your question I don't think a team will. Look at the two best public schools in D1 CC and Mission and they both lost in the semis last year by 4 TD! What does that tell you that the gap between the haves (MD,Bosco) and the have nots (Everyone else) is getting bigger with no stopgap in sight. Hopefully CIF can do something because no one wants to see MD and Bosco for the next 4-5 years in the finals.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

If the Trinity gets some sort of parody within its league it could become more intriguing. Sooner or later there will be a crack in the curtain of power. With todays mobility, social media kids/players can also have big impact as to where it KOOL to SKOOL.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
BBB

Post by BBB »

OLu and JSerra are trying to rise up. I think OLu will be good this year but fall off unless they get some better recruits in soon. JSerra went down the recruiting path this year, hobbled up a bunch of young talent, and will be much better long term. If they can sustain their pull, they might be the one to break through and truly challenge the top two. Will be interesting to see what Servite does with TT and the network he’s putting together. SM better wake up or they’ll be the league’s bottom feeder.
polyrules

Post by polyrules »

LOL. Let me tell you. last year, Poly played the transfer game. We got three of the top ones, and another pretty good one.

Result? Mater Dei 55, Poly 12. Something like that. And we got lucky we fooled them with a fake punt, and Rollo felt Catholic enough not to run up the tally.

The only way to compete with MD and SJB is to fight fire with fire. JSerra is trying. But a public school?

The Public school championship is D2(Watch Loyola take it). The public schools in D1 Southern are second tier, and their only hope for a championship is to lose and get in D2((LBPoly, VM, San Clemente, Murrieta Valley). Unfortuately for the D1 Publics, San Clemente is a lock for one demotion, and Vista Murrieta the second. So for Mission Viejo, Centennial, Murrieta Valley, Long Beach Poly, Rancho Cucamonga and Valencia, that's two years of no shot at a divison title.
Bick

Post by Bick »

The teams that don't make the playoffs are the ones most likely to drop - mainly because of the power points you get for making the playoffs. I think you're more likely to see Servite drop.

San Clemente and Vista Murr are likely auto qualifiers, and might be stuck...as is Poly.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Simple...simple...simple, no athletic scholies, van pools etc. Wrap it up and put a nice pretty ribbon on it. Then it would be like it was...Make HS Football Great again!

Roll Mission...
Daforno

Post by Daforno »

Why didn't we hear that when MV took kids from all over so they could learn the finer points of farming?

If you really think about it MV, NOT Bosco started this when district or neighborhood boundaries were supposed to be in place, but FARMERS rolled in from every where.

Johnson started it and got out of Dodge just in time, that beating he took last year would of been just the start of things
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Because they were winning...Everyone knew the game BJ was playing...Hate the game, not the player.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Yes the love of winning is the root of all evil and besides that MD dorks can blame BJ, Mission, Al Queda for their thug/moneyball world championships...
watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 »

What a bunch of whiners, boo hoo.
And it will change someday it always does.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Not blaming brother...Just acknowleding the innovator...BJ was just playing the game...Not an ounce of animosity in my post.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Daforno wrote: Why didn't we hear that when MV took kids from all over so they could learn the finer points of farming?

so and so did it way less than we do...so how come no one is upset about that...I wonder :-k
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Ramon, I am good with your comments...you are pretty common sense, and very respectful. For the record, I don't care what MD, Bosco or any other program is doing as long as it is not against the rules...not because of any thing ethical or fair, but because it is pointless to be P.O'd about something that is not going to change. But I do like to fry knuckleheads who try to justify things everyone bitched about BJ doing and then try to blame him for starting it in the first place and forcing their team to hyper recruit 8th graders or what ever voodoo MD has cooked up to create the best teams money can buy...The Golden Rule...he who has the most gold makes the rule...MD has a schedule worthy of their efforts to build the greatest HS teams of all time and I hope they win every game, especially against IMaG...
americanhero

Post by americanhero »

The world is round and things change over time. If you watch high school football long enough you know that it always feels inevitable that the teams on top can't lose and will never lose again. I remember a decade ago when Bosco could barely win a league game. I always felt that Bosco was a sleeping giant and I think the evidence now says I was right (although I was hardly the only one with that opinion). Who is the next sleeping giant to awake? There are plenty of schools that I can envision rising up to challenge the current benchmarks. A coach and administration with boosters capable of providing support for the program are really the keys to all of this. And while that formula may be easier to put together at a private school there is no reason a public school can't do the same. Things are likely at their extreme at the moment I will grant you that. But they won't always stay that way and somewhere in the Southern Section is a coach figuring out how to make it happen.