Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

Omar Bongo

Re: Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

Post by Omar Bongo »

what do you think contributed to the downfall of Los Al?
WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 »

i'm being serious, I guess no one wants to talk about it
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

To the contrary, the same old people would love to talk about it...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Omar Bongo wrote:Thread title
I hate to sound too much like Bill Clinton, but it depends on what your definition of "ever" is. If it means from now until the end of time, of course a pubic school will win again. Rules change all the time, and they will change again. A public school won as recently as three years ago...and four years ago...and two years before that. I've come to believe that successful programs are largely a product of their head coaches. Someday Bruce Rollinson will retire, Jason Negro will move on to a college job, and a public school will figure out a new formula to beat the system. Then it will happen again.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:i'm being serious, I guess no one wants to talk about it
Like someone said, the transfer rules tightened up and make it very difficult for someone to simply transfer in. Rent in the district is very high and makes it tough for middle or lower income families to move into the district.

In the late 90's the magnet school moved off campus, leaving about 500 openings. A lot of the teams had a lot of success over the next several years. Then the high school pretty much hit its physical capacity. If someone outside the district wants to get their kid into Los Al, their best bet is to do it in elementary or middle school.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Are we turning this into a "rent in the district is very high"...? And how that can effect kids coming to play for a school.... let me pull up my stool!

By the way Los Al beat LB Poly last night so I would have to argue Los Al isn't exactly hurting right now.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

I still say Calabasas is well positioned to eventually do this. Open enrollment with the entire San Fernando Valley (LAUSD) to recruit from.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Calabasas is like many programs that have taken the fast track to a quick rise -- they find a way to "attract" marquee skill position players while either neglecting the same caliber of linemen, or failing to provide good line coaching. That's where they invariably fall short.
WantTheNFLBack714

I guess the impact of it started around the 2005 season, starting at that season, they would not win another playoff game for like almost a decade. Also, I remember from an old post, that mentioned Coach Barnes, is that he drove average to below average kids out of football because he did want them in other sports. The problem with this when you are not getting all the talented kids you once were' is that you run off younger kids who might grow into a pretty good player/athlete in a year or two and you need.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

LosAl is unique,in that the city has only 12-13,000 residents, all the Seal Beach/Rossmoor kids
go to LosAl as their home HS. Does LosAl still get a small section of Long Beach and Cypress
in their school boundaries?
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

Difference between D-1 and D2-3 is in the trenches. The likes of Oaks/Calabasas have always been a little short in that area compared to a true D-1 program.

The MV's, MD's, Boscos, etc. get this-It's also why I think JSerra's future is bright-as long as Harlow's the coach line play will be a primary focus, and the skill guys (especially running backs) will find there way there to play behind top lines.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

SK80 wrote:Are we turning this into a "rent in the district is very high"...? And how that can effect kids coming to play for a school.... let me pull up my stool!
Was there a point?

It used to be somewhat affordable to rent in Los Al. My wife and I moved into a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath condo for $705 a month in 1994. Left there in $2010 paying $1050. Now it's renting for $2,100. There were a lot of students who lived nearby (3 Los Al football players in my own complex.) Mike Patterson's family lived in an apartment around the corner from us.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Bollweevil

Post by Bollweevil »

2002tony wrote:Just to add one other point here about inter district transfers that me and Tommy T have exchanged PMs about ( names so he could ask them about their situation compared to his own) were teachers at MV who lived in the Trabuco attendance area and could not get their children enrolled at Mission even as freshmen nor their sophomore or Jr years as they tried each year.

They just dont sign off on all of them like I have seen posted here saying it is an open enrollment which is false. It is by attendance area address. You can put in for school choice but is in January and that is a lottery system where there is no guarantees. Also going from Trabuco or El Toro where they have school attendance issues and Mission is low in attendance there may be more lottery spots open then the other way around. But as noted above I know teachers personally who could not get the transfer.
10 years ago that might have been true but with enrollment down all over in the Saddleback Valley District it is pretty much rubber stamped to go any high school if you live in the district. I was talking about going from a different district to SVUSD. Osborne lived in Capo Unified. Capo had to sign off on it.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

Lots of new construction in El Toro's attendance area (Baker Ranch). Suspect El Toro is more than full. Trabuco also.
Bollweevil

Post by Bollweevil »

None of the schools are full. They are all down in enrollment. THHS is under 3,000 students for the second year in a row. It had been over 3,000 for the previous 10+ years.
WantTheNFLBack714

I hope so, makes me wonder if LB Poly will ever become a national powerhouse again, same with Los Al, Los Al has sure fallen off since the 2004 CIF D-1 title game, I think they have won only 2 playoff games since then, I heard they stopped open enrollment for a while, which was a huge contributing factor for their decline.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

What contributed to the downfall of Los Al?? John Barnes left. Maybe his son Brian can get hired back and turn it around. Fenton and his run game, just isnt built for that level. Im actually shocked that the Malichai QB kid is still there??
To answer the original question, will a public school ever win a D-1 TITLE????
That would be a Corona Centennial or Mission Viejo. Those have the best chances.
Everyone else can win the little sister of the poor titles, and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you are getting kids out, and moving them on to a higher education , to better themselves in life. Some programs talk about character and hard work, but when actions speak louder than words, divorced multiple time, pot head, putting payments in front of actual athletes and hard work, the private schools look much better.
Kids go to a school for opportunity and competition, a good enviornment. Getting to the next level and get your education payed for, not empty promises, by people who front. You know, there is no future in that.
:bonk:
scj60

Post by scj60 »

That Malachi kid will not be at Los Al next year.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

hit the lights wrote:What contributed to the downfall of Los Al?? John Barnes left. Maybe his son Brian can get hired back and turn it around. Fenton and his run game, just isnt built for that level. Im actually shocked that the Malichai QB kid is still there??
To answer the original question, will a public school ever win a D-1 TITLE????
That would be a Corona Centennial or Mission Viejo. Those have the best chances.
Everyone else can win the little sister of the poor titles, and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you are getting kids out, and moving them on to a higher education , to better themselves in life. Some programs talk about character and hard work, but when actions speak louder than words, divorced multiple time, pot head, putting payments in front of actual athletes and hard work, the private schools look much better.
Kids go to a school for opportunity and competition, a good enviornment. Getting to the next level and get your education payed for, not empty promises, by people who front. You know, there is no future in that.
:bonk:
Calabasas if they learn that to play in D-1, they need D-1 line play. Still the perfect location (their talent base is the entire SFV-and beyond). Lots of $$$ in the school and district also.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

another one I would keep an eye on 4-5 years down the road is Simi Valley. Coach is Jim Benkert (Westlake/Oaks Christian where he got railroaded out despite success)- if he stays at Simi Valley they will eventually have the athletes to compete-and draw kids from Moorpark all the way east on 118.