Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

SK80

Re: Will a Public HS Ever Win a D1 Football Title Again?

Post by SK80 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:02 am

@MDDad, yes we can agree there certainly... but that may be a part of it..., still have to provide the destination, that is right now best provided by privates for all the reasons we have thrown out over and over. If you think or anyone thinks in California the "publics" will get it together, join, form a pro-football coalition to compete against the "privates" you MDDad have nothing to worry about.... :mrgreen:

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:05 am

I agree that for the foreseeable future it won't happen, because publics have much more important things to consider and correct than improving football competitiveness. And they're right.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 am

two years ago CC got SCREWED on the 4th and 1 call against Bosco. They get that 1st do they score and hold for the win? Don't know. Last season CC 1st string QB was out for the game against Bosco. Could they have won with him in? Don't know, but, could Bosco or MD have got to the championship with 2nd string QB in the semi's? I doubt it.

I wouldn't count out MV or CC in the coming years.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:45 am

same with Calabasas. Ambition is there; open enrollment, wealthy area adjacent to LA Unified.

Up until the Clausens arrived there they were 0-10 or 1-9 every year playing with in-area kids. The Clausens took them to D-2 from the bottom of the barrel.

BBB

Post by BBB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Calabasas is so far from sniffing the programs at MV or Cen10. Plus they’re limited by location.

Setting aside the alternatives kids have with so many great schools pulling kids around them, they’re limited by the ocean, hills/mountains, and much smaller population to the NW (never mind the traffic). That means not enough local elite kids. Also, the school’s enrollment is too small to field enough quality linemen who have sufficient size.

I’m even starting to worry about MV with the emergence of Capo Valley. Plus JSerra and RSM are going to present an increasing threat as well to keep up with Win At All Costs U. It was widely thought Costelli was going to wait a year and then play for Chad Johnson but decided to go to RSM right away instead.

TheFan

Post by TheFan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:53 pm

If a public can bring in 9 junior and senior transfers with D1 offers in hand and have plenty of snacks for after practice, I say of course they could win it all... :cheers:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:50 pm

SK80 wrote:QR_BBPOSTsome of the banter of the fans of the ELITE programs in D1 turn off contributing followers and potential posters that follow smaller division football
Any evidence for this assertion? I see plenty of lively discussion by smaller division fans on this site, where is this "banter" from fans of ELITE programs that "turns them off"?

Conversely, I do see a daily barrage of repetitive criticism of ELITE programs, though as far as I can tell that doesn't seem to turn off fans of those ELITE programs at all... --:--
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Calabasas has the whole San Fernando Valley to go after. School shares a border with LA Unified.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:03 pm

MV and Capo Valley are in different districts (MV in Saddleback Unified, Capo Valley in Capistrano Unified). Harder to move between districts than within districts.

Capo's competing against Tesoro and San Juan Hills (better facilities) for players that don't go to JSerra (1 exit up the freeway).

BBB

Post by BBB » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 pm

The only way it’s harder to move between districts is if the originating district will not sign off on an intra-district transfer. Nearly all of them sign off with little to no fan fare. In all fairness, I have no idea how those districts operate.

In terms of Tesoro and SJH, are they not way, way out there? If so, Capo is much closer to MV, no? I’d suspect kids historically would play for Bob Johnson at Mission over those other schools (with the exception of that championship run by Tesoro). Austin Osborne is a kid in the Capo district who played at MV.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 pm

LB Poly last did it in 2012, I believe they were the last, they beat MD, in MD's first season after Rollo blew up the program. Los Al use to be a beast but they sure fell into mediocrity in Barnes last decade as HC, I heard it had something to do with their district transfer rules changing.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:56 pm

LB Poly last did it in 2012, I believe they were the last

Nope
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Bollweevil

Post by Bollweevil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

BBB wrote:The only way it’s harder to move between districts is if the originating district will not sign off on an intra-district transfer. Nearly all of them sign off with little to no fan fare. In all fairness, I have no idea how those districts operate.

In terms of Tesoro and SJH, are they not way, way out there? If so, Capo is much closer to MV, no? I’d suspect kids historically would play for Bob Johnson at Mission over those other schools (with the exception of that championship run by Tesoro). Austin Osborne is a kid in the Capo district who played at MV.

Austin's Mom was an assistant principal at MVHS at the time. Then she became the Principal Last year. District will honor a transfer if a parent works in the other district. Capo and Saddleback districts do NOT just sign off on transfers. They are both competing for the $ that students bring in by being enrolled in a district.

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Any evidence for this assertion? I see plenty of lively discussion by smaller division fans on this site, where is this "banter" from fans of ELITE programs that "turns them off"?

Conversely, I do see a daily barrage of repetitive criticism of ELITE programs, though as far as I can tell that doesn't seem to turn off fans of those ELITE programs at all... --:--
Omar, if you want to go look it up be my guest but those from smaller schools were and still are to a degree talk down to if that fan base comes on here and wants to show their enthusiasm for their team. Most of the fans that use to come on here that represented non Trinity league teams dont any more because no matter what was said they got ( to summarize what was said) "ya but you are not talking about big boy football, so what you have to say doesnt matter" and so, most have left here.

When MV was coming up from D2 all we got was wait till you play with the big boys before you talk about how good your team is....that has never stopped. When MV won their State Division 1 title all you heard was ...you still have not won anything in D1, because you didnt win the Open Championship. What I found ironic about that is that all the other teams that won that SAME Div 1 game did call it a State D1 Championship including SM and CC. When LH fans were winning all those titles all they got was ya, but you would not win against any of the big boys.

When Edison was dropped to D6 and won their CIF titles those fans that posted here got " ya but your a D6 program now, who cares" or when in D3..same message. It has gone on for for almost 2 decades that I have been on here.

But the barrage of things said to anyone who was not in D1 or in the Trinity has gone on for a very long time.

To your point of MD getting a daily barrage of things said, it is not about winning, it is about transfers, and you are getting more from other fans of Trinity teams then you are from fans of non trinity teams.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:52 am

Omar Bongo wrote:LB Poly last did it in 2012, I believe they were the last

Nope
What's the question?

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Bollweevil wrote:Austin's Mom was an assistant principal at MVHS at the time. Then she became the Principal Last year. District will honor a transfer if a parent works in the other district. Capo and Saddleback districts do NOT just sign off on transfers. They are both competing for the $ that students bring in by being enrolled in a district.
Just to add one other point here about inter district transfers that me and Tommy T have exchanged PMs about ( names so he could ask them about their situation compared to his own) were teachers at MV who lived in the Trabuco attendance area and could not get their children enrolled at Mission even as freshmen nor their sophomore or Jr years as they tried each year.

They just dont sign off on all of them like I have seen posted here saying it is an open enrollment which is false. It is by attendance area address. You can put in for school choice but is in January and that is a lottery system where there is no guarantees. Also going from Trabuco or El Toro where they have school attendance issues and Mission is low in attendance there may be more lottery spots open then the other way around. But as noted above I know teachers personally who could not get the transfer.

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:30 pm

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:LB Poly last did it in 2012, I believe they were the last,
no , CC won in 2014 and '15 where they beat MD in the qtr final in 14 and beat MD in the Simi in 15 and beat Bosco in the CIF Championship game both years and then went on to lose to DLS in the State Championship Game also.
WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:Los Al use to be a beast but they sure fell into mediocrity in Barnes last decade as HC, I heard it had something to do with their district transfer rules changing.
I think that is incorrect from which you may have heard

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:09 pm

MDDad wrote:What's the question?
Thread title
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:28 pm

2002tony wrote:QR_BBPOST Omar, if you want to go look it up be my guest but...
I wasn't the one making the assertion. You're talking about "When MV was coming up" and "When Edison was dropped". SK80 said it's happening now, and I said it's not. The Sunset/DII/DIII thread is far and away the most popular thread on the HS board. Why don't you two go through that thread and find some evidence for your claims?

If you guys want to continue to complain about psyches being damaged by "banter" in the past, that's fine, but don't come on here and assert that it's happening now...it's not.

And your contention that a constant barrage of criticism of the privates, on the other hand is perfectly acceptable, is incredibly hypocritical, IMO
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:04 pm

what do you think contributed to the downfall of Los Al? Barnes last decade as HC, only 1 playoff win