Week 1 2018 ~ Game Thread

Omar Bongo

Re: MD vs Gorman - Round 2

Post by Omar Bongo »

Friar TD 37-32 2:34 4th
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
SK80

Re: Week 1 2018 ~ Game Thread

Post by SK80 »

Good one in SOUTH OC!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity »

Mv field goal Good from 40 yards 30-20 5:30 left
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

28-24 OLU over CC 3rd Q
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Looks like Servite will hang on for the win
George Will

Donald Trump
insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity »

mission viejo beats sm 30-20. mission viejo was hurt by a lot of penalties and sm was hurt by four interceptions. mission viejo had clearly better skill players IMO and would have likely scored more if they hadnt been hurt by so many penalties.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

MISSION WINS 30-20, Can CC pull out a public win against OLU... its close and still going!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

insidetrinity wrote:mission viejo beats sm 30-20. mission viejo was hurt by a lot of penalties and sm was hurt by four interceptions. mission viejo had clearly better skill players IMO and would have likely scored more if they hadnt been hurt by so many penalties.
Insightful. I’m guessing the 4 INT also kept SM from scoring more. Neither team looked great and aren’t a threat to MD or Bosco.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

It's official... NEWPORT HARBOR team seen chopping down SEQUOIA ...., 30-13 ROFL
38f919f94aad00287315e77d2bfa7f7c.jpg
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

MV dominated for the first quarter and a half building a 13-0 lead, but from about the 5 minute mark in the 2nd quarter it was a different game. MV had a few drive stalling flags in the first half but SM's 2nd half penalties didn't help them at all - one negated a long KO return, and two really untimely ones kept a few Diablo drives going in the 4th quarter. It's clear that SM's turnovers were the difference as was SM's inability to read screens, match up in space with athletes and get touchbacks on kickoffs (after having seven or eight last week) - which allowed MV good returns where they set up shop at the 40 yard line a lot. Back to those picks. Costelli will learn that forcing passes in the direction of athletes like Akili Arnold are going to end drives. The one in MV territory on the first drive of the 3rd quarter when it looked like SM was going to close the game to 20-13 was a killer.
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

OLU loses 45-28
SK80

Post by SK80 »

LH loses OT heartbreak 22-21 to REV #-o
Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 »

Mission Viejo 30
'Rita 20
Final
How 'bout them Devils !! :mrgreen:
SK80

Post by SK80 »

JSERRA rolls 49 - 21 over Calabasas up next undefeated Bishop Amat winners tonight 21-6 over Paramount.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

OLu same problem as last year: can't run the ball. Force Hilinski to leave pocket and he'll spend most of the game on his back-no matter how good his receivers are.

They will lose to JSerra (like they did last year) for the same reason they lost last year. Won't beat MD/Bosco either.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

TORREY PINES goes for two with under a minute and fails trailing 45-44 then recovers an onside kick and kicks a 33 yd FG for the win 47-45. Tough road loss for the Tritons against one of SD's best.
RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland »

Good thing Sondy didn't make the trip to Vegas. He'd be crying into his Messiah Bold.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Mr. Grady wrote:MV dominated for the first quarter and a half building a 13-0 lead, but from about the 5 minute mark in the 2nd quarter it was a different game. MV had a few drive stalling flags in the first half but SM's 2nd half penalties didn't help them at all - one negated a long KO return, and two really untimely ones kept a few Diablo drives going in the 4th quarter. It's clear that SM's turnovers were the difference as was SM's inability to read screens, match up in space with athletes and get touchbacks on kickoffs (after having seven or eight last week) - which allowed MV good returns where they set up shop at the 40 yard line a lot. Back to those picks. Costelli will learn that forcing passes in the direction of athletes like Akili Arnold are going to end drives. The one in MV territory on the first drive of the 3rd quarter when it looked like SM was going to close the game to 20-13 was a killer.
What two were those? there was only one called on the SM Defense and that was a roughing the passer that did not extend the play as it was on a pass completion for a first down to the SM 15 yard line and then a half the distance to the goal that put the ball on the 8 for the penalty yards.

I will agree that the holding call on the kick off that was returned to the 40 just to go back to the 10 after the penalty was marked off was a killer.

There were 3 or 4 times more penalties called on MV in the whole game no mater which quarter it was in. Some I certainly agree with but some of the holding calls just made you shake your head when the one tackle on SM was holding on almost every pass play and not once was he flagged. How you can practically tackle the guy going by you and not get flagged was just .....oh well. All the personal fouls called on MV when both sides were pushing - talking smack to each other but not one call on SM for their part in it all night was just way unbalanced.

All the penalties is what kept SM in the game and not a run away by MV.

I must say that I had to give Castelli a lot of credit for being a tough kid under pressure. He was always under pressure the whole game. Yes that is why he made some mistakes but MV D is also just very good.

The last play for him showed a lot of nerve and character for a QB when the game was on the line. SM was going for it on 4th down and he got a pass rush that caused him to scramble out of the pocket and have a 15 yard run to the outside. The DB saw him and had a 20 yard sprint to Castelli as he rolled out and Castelli saw him coming. Castelli did not slide or duck, he did not try to avoid him which would have left the team short of its only play left and then turning the ball back over to MV, he squared his shoulders and tried to make the pass knowing he was about to get leveled - which he did and paid that price. It took guts, courage and a willingness to put your body on the line for his team mates. He did not time the collision well enough and got hit as he was trying to make the pass causing the ball to fall well short of the receiver. So many QBs would have ducked or just not have made the attempt knowing they were about to get crushed.I hope he is OK as he did not return to the game and SM in the last 2 min just ran the ball except for one play I think it was.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

“All the penalties is what kept SM in the game and not a run away by MV.”

...and the turnovers kept it from being a blowout the other way.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

MV hasn't played JSerra yet. With Chad Johnson as the coach, I fully expect them to play in the next few years.