Week 1 2018 ~ Game Thread

hit the lights

Re: Week 1 2018 ~ Game Thread

Post by hit the lights »

MV beats SM AGAIN and bumps their overall win record vs trinity teams.
QB Yellen 371 yards passing and Arnold 3 picks, with Jojo forest being the prime target.

Jserra- in a tie for south county supremecy! , makes light work of Calabassas and their 7 on 7 squad.
Harlow used , I backs, 2 TE sets testing the man hood of the finesse team. RB street had 23 carries for 124 yards and a TD. Defense and special teams, 3 TD'S. Dont get it twisted they can do both, well. This is making me think CDM
might be better, or Calabassas isnt as good as we think? Or they are all good and Jserra will be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Trinity. Can they knock off a Bosco or MD?

Servite- getting blown out at half time, shows heart and pride, and coach Thomas trait in toughness to Fight and pull out win Vs a good Norco team. # 1 in D-2.

I hate to say it, but wow!! 42-0 MD over Gorman. Isnt this what a team of MD'S status should do?
i Like what the coach said and has players buying in to the "Adversity thang".
"Adversity reveals your true character". Turn adversity into success., play for each other.
quotes of the week! :thumbsup:

Playoff atmosphere is what La Habra has been dealing with for the first two weeks of the season.
Redlands East valley fans and players, along with a good showing from the clan fans, and players,
it was electric. It was a very physical game, and it came down to the wire in OT. La Habra had the lead all night,
containing a good REV TEAM, But in OT REV decided to go for 2, and got it. LH QB, Zanelli, threw 3 TD'S, all to Clark Phillips 3. Those two guys are fun to watch.
Murderers row, next up Mission Viejo, then Calabasass. Mazzotta doesnt lie about preparing for the playoffs and League, which, the Freeway league looks to be very weak!

WOW!!!
Poly over Narbonne- 26-3,...Transfers working? OR NOT? Sometimes, transfers can be a distraction, and divide a team. Inmates cannot run the asylum!!

Corona Centennial proves to be the best public school in so cal, beating OLU, 45-28
Hillinski looking good, real good, making nice throws, accurate!

Capo Valley beating La Mirada 38-7. What happened to LM?

I guess Myron Miller of Tustin wasnt fibbing when he said he was scrapping the double wing.
11-18 for 174, 3 td's WOW!!!!
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

MV/SM
Ugly game to say the least.
I think both teams are 10-14 points worse than last year's teams.
MV
Arnold-best player on the field

Yellen-looks more comfortable in this offense.

Penalties- absolutely not acceptable 2nd week in a row. Some discipline is in order!!

Don't like the lack of commitment to the run. The defense was gassed in 3rd quarter bc of 3 and outs with few or no running plays with the lead. A 3 and out with 3 passes doesn't give the defense a chance to even sit down. Reece didn't play and not sure about any others??

A win is a win but lots to work on.
HolyTrinityBlankman

Post by HolyTrinityBlankman »

Hit The Lights, great post. Some thoughts:

---
hit the lights wrote: MV beats SM AGAIN and bumps their overall win record vs trinity teams.
QB Yellen 371 yards passing and Arnold 3 picks
When is the last time MV beat SJB or MD?? 2009? And I thought CJ liked to run the ball? Did he forget Jamari Ferrell and Akili Arnold can tote the pill??
hit the lights wrote: Or they are all good and Jserra will be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the Trinity. Can they knock off a Bosco or MD?
JSerra is BY FAR the best team in South County. Who are you saying is tied? MV? San Clemente?? Its not even close. And neither is the gap between the top 3 in the TL and the rest. The HarLions are assured of 3rd, its a question of whether they can actually stop and consistently score on either MD or Bosco this year. They get MD at home in the San Juan Capistrano City JV stadium but is JSerra 42 points better than Bishop Gorman??
hit the lights wrote: I hate to say it, but wow!! 42-0 MD over Gorman. Isnt this what a team of MD'S status should do?
NOBODY should ever be able to walk into Vegas and beat Gorman on Feritta Field 42-ZILTCH, regardless of status. That was a massacre. Truly shocking ... even with a 32-year old Bru McCoy and a 37-year old Sean Dollars leading the way. Those NFL veteran Monarchs really put it to those Vegas transplants. Hold off on all those "Bosco is just better this year" statements.
hit the lights wrote: Murderers row, next up Mission Viejo, then Calabasass. Mazzotta doesnt lie about preparing for the playoffs and League, which, the Freeway league looks to be very weak!
Big Blue going 1-4 in pre-league on the way to ripping apart BP, Fullerton, and Troy???
hit the lights wrote: WOW!!!
Poly over Narbonne- 26-3,...Transfers working? OR NOT? Sometimes, transfers can be a distraction, and divide a team. Inmates cannot run the asylum!!
Narbonne is an embarrassment considering how Manny Douglas "built that roster" this offseason. But they'll still beat every LA City Section team by 40+ and could end up in a state regional game at the least. Thats fair, right?

The transfer inmates stuff apparently doesnt apply to SJB, JSerra, MD, and OLu, who all have 15-20 plus transfers on their rosters.
hit the lights wrote: Capo Valley beating La Mirada 38-7. What happened to LM?
Moschetti-gate happened.
hit the lights wrote: Corona Centennial proves to be the best public school in so cal, beating OLU, 45-28
Hillinski looking good, real good, making nice throws, accurate!
CC proved to be the best public in ALL of CA about 11-12 years ago. And that OLine and OC is going to get Hilinski killed by the end of the season.
hit the lights wrote: I guess Myron Miller of Tustin wasnt fibbing when he said he was scrapping the double wing.
Lets see what happens if they go down by a few scores in a league game. Commitment might wane.
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

No MV has not beat MD or Bosco recently and no one else in CA will either anytime soon. Don't understand your point. MV I think is 7-2 in last 9 vs Trinity. Was anyone else out for MV besides Rece Hite last night?
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Game in progress-

Serra in a 2 TD hole early but Serra can't afford to take their foot off the gas just yet

2nd Quarter ~10 minutes to go

Serra kicked off to Serra. Serra has the ball on their own 37-yard line. Serra 0, Serra 14
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Existential football.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Only way Serra loses is if they beat themselves
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

HTB,
In regards to MV running game, I dont think hes forgot about the run game. I think he probably takes what the defense gives him. I would think he would have some packages together with I backs, split backs, and let Ferrell and Arnold run it down peoples throats. Lets see what he has planned for La Habra this week? Is he going to go after Phillips?Or is he going to use Ferrell and Arnold and play action for Woullard? You know he wants his touches this week, and i would think La Habra would love to give him some nice hits? I wouldnt doubt if Johnson tries to make this a big statement game and use it as a recruiting tool for next year as many positions will become available.
Arnold, Jojo, ferrell, Yellen.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

"... a recruiting tool". :shock:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Final: Serra 41, Serra 22...the result left Serra fans with mixed feelings
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Que Serra Serra.... :-"
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Bick

Post by Bick »

hit the lights wrote: arbonne- 26-3,...Transfers working? OR NOT? Sometimes, transfers can be a distraction, and divide a team.
I'd say 75% of that game was played inside Poly's 40. If there were more than 10 first downs other than by penalty combined for the whole game, I'd be surprised. Neither team could move the ball, and believe it or not, Narbonne's offense outscored Poly's 3-0. All 26 Poly pts came by virtue of defense. A fumble recovery in the EZ, and 3 pick 6 by Markham. Either Poly's & Narbonne's D are really good, or their offenses are really bad.

Los Al is about to get an idea which on Friday.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

dont be that guy wrote:Insightful. I’m guessing the 4 INT also kept SM from scoring more. Neither team looked great and aren’t a threat to MD or Bosco.
You guessed wrong, 3 of the 4 ints came on 3rd down and SM would have given the ball back to MV most likely anyway.

not a threat to MD or Bosco :eh?: was that you being insightful or just stating the obvious - or were you still on the fence with that one maybe hoping that SM really looked impressive last week and would carry that over to this week? - not being a threat has been obvious I thought to all of us, didnt realize there might be a hold out.

Dont get all worked up I am just razzing you.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

Omar - loved all your post on Serra - Serra...
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Tensions were high - in the stands Serra fans were beside themselves
George Will

Donald Trump
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

FBOC wrote:MV/SM
Ugly game to say the least.
I think both teams are 10-14 points worse than last year's teams.
MV
Arnold-best player on the field
I didnt feel that it was Ugly as in the play by the players as much as I thought the refs were not that great. They were unbalanced in how they officiated it for the same type of infraction that both sides may have committed and at least 3 times on the MV side no one on the field had any idea of just who was being flagged and didnt find out until they got to the sidelines. No learning there when you have no idea if it was you or not. Poor officiating.

Arnold surly was the best player on the field, and what could have happen is he was close to another pic 6 and dropped another pic and had one other knocked away from him by Jojo. He could have had 6 pics in the game. not to mention the punt return as well.
FBOC wrote: Yellen-looks more comfortable in this offense.
If it were not for the penalties Yellen would have had over 500 yards passing. You and I have posted about Yellen last year and during the off-season about his performance last year. I think it is him just maturing from last year where he made many first year as a starter mistakes to why he looks comfortable. His Sr. leadership this year is very apparent and his passing accuracy and arm strength are much improved, but checking off and throwing to his 2nd and 3rd receiver while reading his keys has also really shown in his confidence so far.
FBOC wrote: Penalties- absolutely not acceptable 2nd week in a row. Some discipline is in order!!
I agree, many of the calls were deserved and the potty mouths and attitudes need some stadium stairs run
FBOC wrote:dont like the lack of commitment to the run. The defense was gassed in 3rd quarter bc of 3 and outs with few or no running plays with the lead. A 3 and out with 3 passes doesn't give the defense a chance to even sit down. Reece didn't play and not sure about any others??
I am not so sure there is no commitment to the run. One every drive MV ran the ball. Even on the ONLY "3 and out" they had started with a run that went for a loss of 7. SM was putting a lot of guys in the box, maybe not so much to stop the run but they were blitzing to try to put pressure on Yellen.

You said they looked gassed by the 3 and outs but there was only one 3 and out. The 3rd start with SM getting the ball that ended with an Arnold Int, then the 3 and out, then SM went on a long drive where Arnold almost had two other ints, one he and JoJo both went for and popped out of their hands and into the receivers for a 24 yd gain on 3rd down. Then the next Int and MV goes on a 6 and out (Ferrell had his long run called back). SM then kept the ball until the end of the quarter with the ball on the MV 1 yard line ( that drive was over 7 min) and then SM scored on the first play of the 4th qtr.
FBOC wrote:A win is a win but lots to work on.
As noted above the attitude of not have to have a personal foul called on you after the play is already over ( 3 or 4 in this game) is just too much and needs to be addressed. The run blocking in the middle is not great either but this is a new young line and undersized as noted but their pass blocking has been outstanding so far. Yellen has only been on his back a few times and that was from added pressure from a LB or Corner biltz.

One note, man for man SM was bigger then MV on both sides of the ball. I was really surprised that MV did as well as they did in the trenches.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

HolyTrinityBlankman wrote: When is the last time MV beat SJB or MD?? 2009? And I thought CJ liked to run the ball? Did he forget Jamari Ferrell and Akili Arnold can tote the pill??
I know you directed your questions and comments to HTL but I will answer some of them. The last time MV beat MD in 2010. They probably would have beat them in 2011 if MD would have qualified for the playoffs which they did not.
HolyTrinityBlankman wrote:JSerra is BY FAR the best team in South County. Who are you saying is tied? MV? San Clemente?? Its not even close. And neither is the gap between the top 3 in the TL and the rest. The HarLions are assured of 3rd, its a question of whether they can actually stop and consistently score on either MD or Bosco this year.
I think HTL was maybe talking about MV or maybe he was implying OLu since they are/were ranked ahead of JSerra in almost every other polls except for the OC top 10 last week.
I wonder how OLu feels about that gap?
I wonder if JSerra will be able to score so easily on OLu? kinda makes you wonder, maybe we should wait another week.
HolyTrinityBlankman wrote:CC proved to be the best public in ALL of CA about 11-12 years ago. And that OLine and OC is going to get Hilinski killed by the end of the season.

CC did not prove that they were the best public in ALL of Ca. 11-12 years ago, not 10 9 8 7 6 5 years go either. They were among the best that is no doubt. 4 Years ago they became king of the hill so to speak but you can make an argument for each year before 2014 that there may have been a team above them or at least you could not say that CC was absolute best team in Ca.

case in my point - Yes I know they won a state championship in there but even when they went the State championship game in 2013 they still lost to LB Poly that year and they only lost to a Private school. So since LB Poly beat them ( and no public school beat Poly) should they not be the best public school that year? Like I said, an argument can be made that CC was not the best public that year, and you can also make an argument that they were, but it is not absolute that CC was the best public school since 11-12 years ago.
Last edited by 2002tony on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

dont be that guy wrote:“All the penalties is what kept SM in the game and not a run away by MV.”

...and the turnovers kept it from being a blowout the other way.
Ok SM guy...lol...That is not even remotely close to the truth.

3 of the 4 interception were on 3rd down so even if they had fallen incomplete SM was still turning the ball over to MV. If you take away just a couple of the penalties that were no where near the ball or would not have effected the play in any way, MV would have scored twice more ( punt and 60 yard int return deep into the redzone)

and would have scored on one other most likely that was a pass down to the 4 but got a penalty on that

then the long run by Ferrell which had a holding call that came after he was 20 yards down the field and no where near where the holding call was made.

You can take away the pics but that does not mean SM would have scored any more then they did. For all we know Arnold may have returned the 3 other punts for TDs as well.