"PUBLIC" High School Football Reigns Supreme {TEXAS}

SK80

"PUBLIC" High School Football Reigns Supreme {TEXAS}

Post by SK80 »

So this is a must read by all my fellow posters here at OCCONNECT.

Unlike other national hotbeds, public high school football in Texas reigns supreme. Here's what the state does differently.

"As the sun set one evening last week, hundreds of people convened at Hebron's football stadium.
There for a scrimmage between Hebron and Allen, spectators watched at least eight NCAA Division I prospects take the field. Conversations circulated about Allen's hope for a repeat state championship and the possibility of Hebron also pushing deep in the postseason. Some wore face paint. Others brought noisemakers. Almost everyone donned team apparel.

The scene, all for a preseason tuneup, perhaps provided a snapshot of why the Texas public high school football experience remains unique in the U.S.

In the sport's other talent hotbeds across the country -- notably California and Florida -- private schools are most prominent in garnering top players and state championships.

But Texas' strict transfer rules, separate public and private playoffs and community unity sustain the prominence of public school teams and don't foreshadow a future with private teams becoming state powers, according to several coaches, experts and individuals who've worked in more than one of those markets."

READ ON: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-s ... ifferently

Knowing Texas as I do... what is over riding here is "community". Texas football and high school is not ready to just give up on their communities but tradition. Each and every game I go to even to this day is about my community, friends, neighbors, kids of generations of people I grew up with.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
pattywannamack

Re: "PUBLIC" High School Football Reigns Supreme {TEXAS}

Post by pattywannamack »

I just read the article, seems like the main takeaways are the forced Private vs. Public Playoffs and more red tape for potential transfers.

What I'm personally curious about is whether there is competitive equity among the public schools in Texas. In Southern California you take the privates out of the picture and you have CC, MV, and Poly running the table every year. Is that any better or realistically any different than our private school dominated playoffs?
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Good questions all pattywannamack..... I think you could argue there is no perfect solution... I think everyone in general wants a fair playing field. How we get there takes much speculation, I do think Texas has drawn some lines that I would stand behind. Not sure at my age, my place in time I can contribute much more to where the world wants to be now... seems like enough people here in the southland are ok with the way things have transpired. If they were not there would be more resistance. I do think to mount resistance it would take manpower, time and money. That alone won't beat those spending mines to win.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

one more reason-no private high school can raise $60 million for a football stadium, like they do in places like Allen....
insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity »

I’d be curious to see data on public school coaches salaries also. I believe there are several Texas public school football coaches making over 100k. I’m not sure how much all the coaches make around here but i think that speaks to the overalll commitment to football the public schools have there
jb914

Post by jb914 »

daddyooo wrote:one more reason-no private high school can raise $60 million for a football stadium, like they do in places like Allen....
kinda makes that 7.5 million Bosco stadium look small :shock:

McKinney ISD opening new $70 million high school football stadium on Thursday
http://www.fox4news.com/sports/high-sch ... n-thursday
ShaneFalco

Post by ShaneFalco »

Wow, McKinney Stadium is legit. Anaheim should steamroll Glover Stadium and build a similar community stadium where Servite, Anaheim HS, etc. could play. CIF could also hold the finals there as well. I'm sure Disney, the Angels and other large Anaheim corporations would subsidize.
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

pattywannamack wrote:I just read the article, seems like the main takeaways are the forced Private vs. Public Playoffs and more red tape for potential transfers.

What I'm personally curious about is whether there is competitive equity among the public schools in Texas. In Southern California you take the privates out of the picture and you have CC, MV, and Poly running the table every year. Is that any better or realistically any different than our private school dominated playoffs?
Patty I took a quick look at the state championship games in approx. the past 10 years in Texas and these were the names that just jumped out at you.

From Various Divisions.
Katy 7 times
Austin Lake Travis 8 times
Borden County 5 times
Canadian 5 times
Cameron Yoe 5 times
Allen 4 times
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Some good points people, glad to see this can be a discussion not an argument.

One thing that Texas has over California is public support. "Friday Night Lights" in Texas draws bigger crowds and people from the local communities. This is a factor I feel why many here in California don't care as much, seeing a few hundred fans at some games is disappointing, I feel for the kids.

My father always talks about his days at South Pasadena in the 40's and the teams of the 50's where they would fill places like the Rose Bowl and Coliseum. He always talks about the championship game between South Pasadena and Santa Monica in 1952 which was at the LA Coliseum. It wasn't uncommon for Jr. College and High School games to draw 30,000 people. It was about community and you supported it together.

Today most are too busy, distracted by all things that are life in Southern California. People today are more transient and feel less obligation or connection to their surroundings. I think this makes many consider the "transfer" as it is easy to walk away from something that you do not value all that much outside your own personal gain. I think here lies part of what I no longer like about high school sport and the environment that surrounds it.

I have no idea where all this goes, I do know it is on a fast track and won't be slowing down anytime soon.
ColSixPack

Post by ColSixPack »

I played football in Texas back in the day. At least where I am from the geography benefits the schools. For the most part there is a lot of space in between towns, which means well defined borders. I tend to think that instills the idea that this is my town here and that is your town over there. Most of these towns have only one high school. I know that is different in the big cities, but I would be willing to bet that if there are transfer issues, it mostly occurs in big cities. The one big city that was near me had four high schools in it. They consolidated the four into one mega high school and built a two tiered district stadium for them. People get pissed if they pass a bond measure and a portion of those funds aren't going to athletics.
When I came out to Orange County I was floored that it's basically one big slab of concrete from San Clemente all the way up to Oxnard. I live in South Orange County with 4 public high schools and 2 private high schools within 5 minutes of each other. Too easy to play the transfer game here. It's geographically harder in Texas unless you live in one of the big cities.
Last edited by ColSixPack on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball »

I think there is some grumblings about how things are going on in the Trinity league. CIF has already sent out the questionnaire about possible transfer change which I think will happen. What changes will be made I'm not sure maybe the year sit out period or sit out the second half of the season that will still be determined. I do know for a fact that some schools have brought up the idea if you have X number of transfer you would be in X division. IMO the negative to that is MD could get 6 4 star players and Los Al could get 6 freshman players from a nearby school but are they the same caliber? No! So will be interesting to see what changes will be on the horizon.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Thnx 6Pack for the Texas perspective on geography. Living in OC or LA or IE even in publics now it is easier to cross lines for a better program or other kids/players you see you would better suit your game. In OC there are publics that are well geographically situated as well as economically equal in living standard/cost. Los Al with its big enrollment and geography can easily get kids from Westminster to Lakewood/Cerritos to Garden Grove, Buena Park and Bellflower are not out of the question. Families can easily move within areas where they can afford to live and get to work in reasonable time.

@SCFB very interesting notion that "transfers" could add into the division equation. The more that you have the higher your classification goes. Don't think you could go as far as "star" caliber as a factor.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

SoCalFball wrote:I do know for a fact that some schools have brought up the idea if you have X number of transfer you would be in X division.
Southern Section schools might do anything out of frustration, but this would not be a wise move. For example, last year Orange won a Div. 13 CIF championship with 13 transfers on its roster of 32 varsity players, including 4 of 6 captains. 13 transfers might be enough to put them in Div. 1 or 2. How would that make any sense?
FBOC

Post by FBOC »

Not a single one was a Div 1 player I suspect. They lost to a school with 275 students.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Exactly. That's why the idea of placing schools in divisions based on their number of transfers seems so silly.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

yet possibly if it was only a PART of the equation NOT the equation it would have for example bumped Orange up to D12 or D11 where there nearly half of the team overwhelmed the D13 schools handily and would have given them a more difficult road to a championship in a higher division.

Again there is sense in a free open market without much regulation. The minute you write more rules and restrictions not only the more complex administrating it gets but some will always find their way around the rules...
SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball »

I agree that it would be dumb to place teams in divisions based off transfers. Sometime before next season expect some type of change.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

I think we will see some cap, sit out, to slightly curtail transfers or maybe more so multi-transfers.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

SK80 wrote: My father always talks about his days at South Pasadena in the 40's and the teams of the 50's where they would fill places like the Rose Bowl and Coliseum.
And you buy that?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

SK80, I have to agree with Omar. Filling the Rose Bowl and Coliseum are great stories, but they never really happened. According to CalHiSports, the largest high school football crowd in state history was 85,931 for the 1957 North-South Shrine Game featuring Anaheim's Micky Flynn vs. Downey's Randy Meadows. The 1958 Shrine Game drew 65,094 for the second largest crowd in state history. The 1959 game is third at 57,989.

The largest crowd between two high schools was way back in 1924 when 57,000 people (approximate) watched Los Angeles and Los Angeles Poly play each other.

The largest playoff crowd was 41,383 for the 1956 Anaheim vs. Downey game. And the largest crowd in Orange County history is 33,474 for the 1966 Anaheim-Mater Dei playoff game.