Aliso Niguel - Racist?

SK80

Re: Aliso Niguel - Racist?

Post by SK80 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 am

I'm w/ ya JQP, I wasn't there and in todays age of viral social media I would think at least one Instagram or snap chat catch would show these signs for everyone to see and make better judgment of the claims. Has anyone seen one? We are at a time in history of hyper sensitivity. I just spent the morning reading everything I could on the US Open and the woman's final controversy. If it ain't racism it must be sexism or any form of "ism" one can conjure up, fall back on or create controversy from. Is anyone tired of this just yet?
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Nope. Just a lot of bad information getting passed around on social media. The AN principal sets it straight:

Dear Wolverine Community,

I would like to update you regarding a controversy that occurred regarding our football game Friday night versus Santa Ana High School; the information below will also be shared with media today.

Friday’s football game was our “red, white and blue” game, where students traditionally dress patriotically in USA colors for a home football game that falls in close proximity to September 11th (Patriot’s Day).This type of game is intended as a patriotic celebration and is common in Orange County. Many schools have a similar themed game from time to time during football season if they have a home football game scheduled near 9/11. (Several other high schools also held such an event this past Friday.)Our ASB students typically make spirit signs for each home game and did so for this game as well – in red, white and blue. Two signs were posted which were political in nature. One referenced former President Obama, and one referenced President Trump.When Assistant Principals and I arrived to the stadium before the game, we learned of the above potentially controversial signs and Assistant Principals removed the signs.Somewhere after the first quarter, the Santa Ana Principal Jeff Bishop came to our sideline.He reported that his students and fans had seen the sign referencing President Trump before the game, and a sign that said “We love red, we love white, we love blue,” along with our students arriving dressed in red, white and blue, and he felt that the entire atmosphere was inhospitable to his school and community.He further felt that students chanting “USA - USA” in the first quarter after a touchdown was disrespectful and hurtful to his students and community. Over approximately thirty minutes, I explained that we had removed the politically-related signs as soon as we had seen them.I expressed sadness and regret that members of his community had in any way been hurt and again explained that the “red, white, and blue” game was a patriotic observance in reference to 9/11, and in no way intended as an affront to Santa Ana High School, and I stated that many schools have such a game.Principal Bishop said that if our students continued to chant “USA” that he would remove his team from the field and contact the media. (Our student section was subsequently informed of the misperception and willingly refrained from chanting “USA” for the remainder of the game.)Principal Bishop and I continued to talk and I reiterated regret over any perceived disrespect; Principal Bishop and I then hugged and shook hands, and he returned to his sideline,As always, our Assistant Principals were actively present within our student section monitoring behavior throughout the entiregame. At no time did they witness any overt racism, or any additional political signs other than a “Trump 2020” satin banner that emerged briefly and was quickly removed from display. Upon conclusion of the game, Principal Bishop returned to our sideline to report the following:He stated that someone had reportedly seen a sign earlier that read “Build the Wall.” I informed him that we never saw any such sign in or near our stadium. Principal Bishop stated that there were allegedly pictures of the sign. I asked if he had seen this sign personally or had pictures himself, and he responded “No.”Principal Bishop also questioned the number of security and OC Sheriffs that we had present at the game, believing that we had possibly increase security because we were playing a Santa Ana school. I explained that we absolutely did NOT increase security – that we always have our SRO Sheriff attend every home game, that he typically has 1-2 other Deputies with him, and that we always hire additional private security for allhome football games.I again expressed sadness for the perceptions and stated that I would certainly be following up with my staff on Monday to evaluate our event.At that point, I believed that we had worked together as two public school principals to resolve the issues, and that it was truly a misunderstanding and a chance for mutual resolution.Going forward, I will be meeting with our student leaders and staff, and we will consider how we might have communicated more in advance about the purpose of our “red, white and blue” game to avoid misunderstanding. However, I am deeply saddened that anyone could categorize our students or community as “racist” and I have made that very clear. We have nothing but respect for Santa Ana High School, and all schools. I spoke with OC Register reporter Steve Fryer on Saturday and made clear the intent of our event, which he printed in his article. I will be providing the information in this email to the media today.

I know first-hand that Aliso Niguel students are wonderful kids with loving families - just like the students of Santa Ana High School and their families. I understand that our country is very divided right now and that this can understandably affect perceptions, and that we all need to work harder to develop greater understanding. As a high school principal, I would now like to stop further divisiveness among our high school students. I believe it is our job to bring students together during times of misunderstanding or unintended hurt, and that is my full hope and intention. I remain absolutely committed to the Wolverine community, and to supporting public education in schools everywhere for the benefit of ALL students.

Respectfully,

Deni Christensen

thefrog

Post by thefrog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm

That's a very thorough letter and I tend to believe her.

"Blowing things out of proportion" seems to be a common occurrence these days. Sad.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:38 pm

in other words, there are two sides of every story. It isn't always that the affluent HS in south OC is full of racists.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:16 pm

If the students, the players, the coaches, the parents and fans loved, believed in what the USA stands for they should have started chanting along. Has anyone here ever been to a soccer game in Mexico or when Mexico or Mexican teams play here....? This PC stuff has gone into overdrive and you can't speak, think or breath any thing that may hurt someones feelings. If the Aliso principle here is straight then I have to believe the Santa Ana principle should re-evaluate his claims or his perception of what took place.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 pm

SK80 wrote:This PC stuff has gone into overdrive and you can't speak, think or breath any thing that may hurt someones feelings.
Thank you. Santa Ana is an American public high school and its students are Americans, regardless of whether or not they are also ethnically Hispanic. If Aliso Niguel supporters began to chant "USA", the appropriate response by Santa Ana fans should have been to join in.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 pm

This PC stuff has gone into overdrive and you can't speak, think or breath any thing that may hurt someones feelings

Indeed. The other day a poster here said that the founding fathers are offended by people who don't hew to the proper rituals during the playing of the anthem before football games...now that's PC
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Aren't the Founding Fathers getting a little old to be offended?

thefrog

Post by thefrog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Throughout law school, we called them "The Founders" with a capital F. They're basically gods in the American Pantheon.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Aren't the Founding Fathers getting a little old to be offended?

That's ageism, watch it. At the risk of further offending them I would argue they're a little too dead.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

thefrog

Post by thefrog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Are you assuming their living conditions?

FBOC

Post by FBOC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm

MDDad wrote:Thank you. Santa Ana is an American public high school and its students are Americans, regardless of whether or not they are also ethnically Hispanic. If Aliso Niguel supporters began to chant "USA", the appropriate response by Santa Ana fans should have been to join in.
Right you would think. Someone posted their wife born and raised in Mexico had no problem with it. My gf her family and friends all Mexican had no problem with it. I haven't heard any of the Aliso''s 20% Hispanic student body having a problem with it. The white principle did. The non-Mexican posters did. Very funny the non Mexicans on the board seem to have the biggest problem with it In the article the principal said he couldn't really read the signs but is offended by he saw Trump's name.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 pm

How about chanting "build that wall?" Any problem there?
George Will

Donald Trump

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm

when the USA plays Mexico in soccer they chant "Osama Osama"....and of course the famous "puto" cheer on every opposing goal kick. Mexico is the least PC country in the world, you would think they could handle it?

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:01 pm

They still put Memin Pinguin (go look him up ) on postage stamps for pete's sake.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:09 pm

dont be that guy wrote: Principal Bishop said that if our students continued to chant “USA” that he would remove his team from the field and contact the media.
What a tool this Bishop guy must be. I'd have told him "Do whatever you want. We are not going to tell our students that they can't chant 'USA, USA'...We'll take the forfeit."
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 pm

FBOC wrote:Very funny the non Mexicans on the board seem to have the biggest problem with it.
That's because white is the color of snowflakes.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:How about chanting "build that wall?" Any problem there?
Yeah, that would be bad, but they didn’t so it’s irrelevant.

BTW- the local CBS station lead with the story and reported that signs said “Make America White” and “Build the Wall” both are false. The SA principal might have overplayed his hand.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm

MDDad wrote:Thank you. Santa Ana is an American public high school and its students are Americans, regardless of whether or not they are also ethnically Hispanic. If Aliso Niguel supporters began to chant "USA", the appropriate response by Santa Ana fans should have been to join in.
Yeah, I think the point of that chant was "we're the USA, you aren't." Now maybe shouting louder than the Aliso students would have been better, but sometimes when you're being publicly insulted by hundreds, you don't come up with a quick response.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Fordama wrote: I think the point of that chant was "we're the USA, you aren't."
Wow! Just wow! You now know what the intent of the Aliso Niguel students was when they chanted USA,USA.

It couldn't possibly have been to show pride in their country, now could it?

So tell me, oh all-knowing Cleo...I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10. What is it?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020