"Transfers" SS Survey Says, "71.5% Want Rules Adjusted"

MDDad

Re: "Transfers" SS Survey Says, "71.5% Want Rules Adjusted"

Post by MDDad »

Professor Fate wrote:No comment on the three options that the 71.5% (not named Professor Fate, who also thought transfers were a problem), were recommending?
I commented on the three proposals in an earlier post: The practice of a family faking a residence change or moving into a temporary apartment has been well established in the Southern Section for two or three decades. As long as families continue to follow that familiar path, none of the three proposals will have much effect.
ventura

Post by ventura »

For the record, this casual observer of your forum thinks most have come down too hard on MD, and not hard enough on Bosco for the situation HSFB D.1 is in. But......

I'm sure this has been addressed, probably numerous times - the crap rolled down hill once Bosco started the mega transfer game, and MD went all in a few years later.

I don't think it's splitting hairs when a team picks up a former probable starter, say, a QB from MD, after he leaves because a Cathedral all-everything comes in two minutes after Daniels graduates early. (Don't actually know if a QB left in this example, but you get the idea).

MDdad, Omar, Watcher et al - you guys really think that's splitting hairs? You think that the getting a guy who transferred because the position he worked for and earned was taken in a situation like the JT Daniels replacement is no different than any other transfer?

With no change in the current rules, the top D1 teams will increasingly reshuffle their lineups year to year based on the exit of players, who'd hoped to start as juniors and seniors but then lost out to a newcomer, to other Trinity League schools where they can start.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Omar Bongo wrote:You're like an inept looter complaining to the cops that the other guy got a TV but you only got a toaster

So are we here making some sort of parallel to recruitment as lootment! ROFL Many of been ridiculed for making that comparison.

I am w/ MDDad, almost any thing you put up will be hard pressed to enforce and ways will be found/had to get around, bend, fudge the rules and still we will have them on occasion broken whether caught or uncaught.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Thank you Ventura.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan »

How much is the transfer problem compounded or begun by recruiting/undue influence before a student even begins at a school? It seems to me that this idea of chasing something (playing time/notice/winning, etc.) begins when a player is enticed to attend a school based upon a premise of that player being great. It feeds the ego of the player and parents and when things don't go as promised or expected, the feeling is to go somewhere else where the player/parent goals can be achieved.

It just seems to me that players who attend school to be with their friends (at either private or public) are more apt to remain at the school. Players who haven't been told how amazing they are from the age of 5 and fawned over at 7on7 youth games, or tackle football contests, seem less likely to make multiple transfers.

I don't have an answer because the CIF office relies on its members to self report and self police. As long as some of its members are willing to look the other way or knowingly violate rules/intentions, then this problem will grow. Especially as the amount of money connected to all of this makes it worth it to some institutions. The potential price of getting caught is outweighed by the money and recognition that comes with having successful sports teams.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

SK80 wrote: So are we here making some sort of parallel to recruitment as lootment!
Professor Fate wrote:It's in stealing other schools' established star players.
Yup, that's exactly what the Prof did...he's drawn his newest line in the sand at comparing the relative quality of the "booty"
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

ventura wrote: I don't think it's splitting hairs when a team picks up a former probable starter, say, a QB from MD, after he leaves because a Cathedral all-everything comes in two minutes after Daniels graduates early. (Don't actually know if a QB left in this example, but you get the idea).
Thank you Ventura. I've been trying to make that same point myself for years. It's a chain reaction. QB Carter Freedland is the guy forced out by MD bringing in Cathedral's all-everything QB, and Freedland is now counted in Corona Centennial's total transfers posted by MDDad.

In January we found out that star RB Sean Dollars from Rancho Cucamonga was transferring to MD, and by February 2, RB Chris Street is approved transferring from MD to J Serra, and is included in J Serra's numbers.

I'm sure La Habra's star LB showing up on MD's roster had absolutely no bearing on Mater Dei LB Luca DeLancellotti showing up in Servite's transfer totals. :roll:

Quite sure if I looked hard enough I could find many more examples, but you get the idea.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
HonorGloryLove

Post by HonorGloryLove »

Well, Prof Fate, that proves that kids want to play, and they will transfer to another school if they think they're not going to play.

Should anyone want to stop that?

I've said before that sometimes the tone in discussions like this one sounds like the participants are talking about professional sports rather than high school sports. You'd think these transfers show up for the first day of school and pick up the keys to their new Ferrari, and get their signing bonus at the end of the week.

Kids want to play and they want to improve so they can play in college. That means they will gravitate toward schools with the best coaching staffs. They also like to play with other good players they like. What's wrong with that?

Servite will improve now with TT at the helm, and better players will show up, but the same thing will happen at the other Trinity schools.

We posters are fans. We want our team to win. That motivates 90% of what we write here and 100% of what we complain about.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Jesus Christ, Professor, just when I think you've totally gone off the deep end, you find an even deeper end to go off of. So now it's Mater Dei's fault that Corona Centennial, JSerra and Servite have such high transfer numbers? You are unfreakingbelievable. Is Mater Dei somehow responsible for Servite's 23 other transfers as well? And is tomorrow the day you blame us for global warming, or will you keep that one in your back pocket for another few days?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Cute. But yeah, I just named six transfers, three into MD and three out. Mater Dei's actions caused all six of them, which makes your fascination with the numbers meaningless.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Well, if you really want to play that game, Servite had a mass exodus out of the program earlier this year, and a mass exodus of 15 players in this off-season. Do you apply the same arithmetic to them, or did Mater Dei cause those too?
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Did any of them leave because Servite imported someone else's star players to take away their spots?
jb914

Post by jb914 »

maybe they left because in my 30+ years of watching Catholic High School's play football last year was the first time I've ever seen a school's entire student section be removed from a game based on their behavior.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
jb914

Post by jb914 »

Professor Fate wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about.
The Servite student section was removed from last years MD/Servite football game after the 1st half due to repeated profanity-laced chants in the 1st and 2nd quarter. Not a few students, the entire student section.

ask Credo he knows what I'm talking about.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Professor, you criticize good players transferring in causing other players to transfer out, yet you are accepting of good players transferring out causing other players to transfer in, in much greater numbers. The result in both cases is the same - players looking for better fit and more opportunity. You give the impression that you are so desperate to find any hook that will hold the weight of your anti-Mater Dei hat that you have resorted to the absurd. The hairs you are splitting just can't be split any finer.

I say this as an old friend, please stop before you make yourself look even more silly.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

MDDad wrote: yet you are accepting of good players transferring out
In what universe does that make any sense. I'm not accepting of any such thing. I can't say on here what I think of Kyle Ford, Ethan Rae, Spencer Lytle, Caden Bell, et al. But no one could call it "accepting." Keep trying, MDDad, although I marvel at how many years I've tried to explain myself to you and you still don't get it.
Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam »

jb914 wrote:The Servite student section was removed from last years MD/Servite football game after the 1st half due to repeated profanity-laced chants in the 1st and 2nd quarter. Not a few students, the entire student section.

Yes, that happened. However, the comment was still a complete non sequiter as per the transfer discussion.
jb914

Post by jb914 »

by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 pm

jb914 wrote:
The Servite student section was removed from last years MD/Servite football game after the 1st half due to repeated profanity-laced chants in the 1st and 2nd quarter. Not a few students, the entire student section.

Yes, that happened. However, the comment was still a complete non sequiter as per the transfer discussion.
Yea, but, it really deflates that moral high ground the professor implies in his posts. BTW it's spelled "non sequitur"