It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

Omar Bongo

It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Sorry to interrupt the wake, but I was wondering if any Servite peeps like the faculty member who posts here or another on-campus source can tell us if the student body is operating under the same deathwatch-induced cone of silence as their supposed supporters here? Have rallies been cancelled? Are there communal focus groups commiserating about about how unfair it all is and how it's pointless to even play the game? Are students signing petitions to have Mater Dei kicked out of the Trinity League?

What's it like on campus this week...please tell me the students are displaying a little more spirit than the Eeyores on this forum...

Omar Bongo

Re: It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:09 pm

Checked the website, seems they're taking the rivalry seriously there. Under "September Activities", information about game tickets is listed third after Freshman volleyball recruiting and a fashion show...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Servite will lose badly. 56-10 if we are lucky. Not a lot of suspense there.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Wow, is that what the coaches and players/fans mentally think already!? What happen with Credo?
Maybe they should not even show up if that is the thought,no?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:50 pm

All kidding aside, there really is no buzz about the game. Servite has to get a lot better before that can happen. Not too many people want to show up to a funeral, especially when your team is in the casket.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:58 pm

WOW!, like the administration,coaches,players and fans already in their minds know
it will be a loss with no hope or faith in their team whatsoever, interesting.... not like the Servite
I remember when they played as vast underdogs in some games over the years, oh well...

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Servite will lose badly. 56-10 if we are lucky. Not a lot of suspense there.

A 46-point loss? Sounds about right. Bad, but nothing like the Friars running up a 68-0 score on the Roosevelt frosh...

I think it depends on the attitude of the Servite players. If they, like their "supporters" here, resign themselves to a shellacking before they even get off the bus, it could get ugly...but I don't think they will

"Suspense" isn't why you play the game...you do your best, support your teammates, represent your school and try to make some plays...the W is a bonus

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Get real. Is there even one MD fan that thinks there is any possibility MD could lose this game?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:15 pm

FriarJoe wrote: All kidding aside, there really is no buzz about the game. Servite has to get a lot better before that can happen. Not too many people want to show up to a funeral, especially when your team is in the casket.
Nice metaphor. For the sake of their friends on the field tomorrow, I hope students will be referencing Rocky and not The Premature Burial
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Professor Fate wrote: Get real. Is there even one MD fan that thinks there is any possibility MD could lose this game?
Sure, I don't put it past TT at all to send the house early and often to try to break Bryce Young in two. Pretty sure that's going to be everyone's strategy from here on out.
George Will

Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Servite folks seemed to deflect and/or bounce back from their somber resignation of a Mater Dei varsity loss - and bitterness over superteam roster-building - by looking on the bright side: Troy was “building it the right way” ... with a star group of freshmen culled from the nethers of Orange County ... who dominated the “summer circuit” ... AND who would surely take down that senior public school transfer factory in Red in the freshman game in the fall ... with superior CREDO cohesiveness ... in a sign of the years to come!!! #CHILLS

Well .... yeah .... about that. Looks like Mater Dei is still just better at every level. There is always next season. Things take time to jell.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:06 pm

Might as well rename this thread, Mater Dei vs._________ (anyone except St. John Bosco) Week.......Zzzzzzzz.

Clearly you guys are desperate for someone to care about how good you are, but it's a tough sell to get worked up over playing against an all-star team.

Eddyr2

Post by Eddyr2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:08 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote: it's a tough sell to get worked up over playing against an all-star team.
That’s weird cause the Bowl was sold out last Friday :eh?:

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 pm

Not weird at all. Last Friday was two equally matched all-star teams that could go either way.

Tomorrow's result has been known for at least eight months now.

Eddyr2

Post by Eddyr2 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:45 am

26-3-1

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:05 am

One step at a time. What will likely be a complete mismatch this year and a blow out may over the next few years get incrementally closer until some sort of real contests emerges again. Time heals, things change and not much lasts forever.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:06 am

I was driving to last weeks game going west on Civic Center Dr with the family all in red. I saw two nice looking young men in Servite shirts walking, presumably going to watch our game against IMG. I pointed at them and they saw me and made eye contact. I rolled down the window and said "I thought you guys didn't have a football team anymore?" They promptly yelled back in good fun "just wait til next week". And that's the way it should be.

And as humble as I can be I do not believe Servite will score on the first string defense.

I WANT to see Servite better.

2002tony

Post by 2002tony » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:20 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Sure, I don't put it past TT at all to send the house early and often to try to break Bryce Young in two. Pretty sure that's going to be everyone's strategy from here on out.
You are too funny Omar... “sure” lol. Even if Young sat out the whole game there is not a chance that Servite will survive the MD running game.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:05 pm

watchersince68 wrote:I was driving to last weeks game going west on Civic Center Dr with the family all in red. I saw two nice looking young men in Servite shirts walking, presumably going to watch our game against IMG. I pointed at them and they saw me and made eye contact. I rolled down the window and said "I thought you guys didn't have a football team anymore?" They promptly yelled back in good fun "just wait til next week". And that's the way it should be.
Since last Friday was a bye week for four of the league teams, there were a bunch of Servite and St. John Bosco players at the game. They were sitting near the top of the Mater Dei student section and having a great time along with everyone else. That's the thing. The kids don't care and just want to have fun. It's the post-menopausal adults like some on this forum who take it so seriously that they develop WPS (wadded panty syndrome).

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Professor Fate wrote: Not weird at all. Last Friday was two equally matched all-star teams that could go either way.
Didn't think that through, did you? According to your logic, the stands should have been empty
2002tony wrote: Even if Young sat out the whole game there is not a chance that Servite will survive the MD running game.
Someone has to not fumble the snap and hand the ball to them :D
MDDad wrote:It's the post-menopausal adults like some on this forum who take it so seriously that they develop WPS (wadded panty syndrome).
Yup. I got a good laugh watching the replay of the IMG game...there was a timeout and the camera was scanning the MD side. I was checking for people I might know and then suddenly in the middle of this sea of delirious, cheering MD kids decked out in red, this boy solemnly holds up a stark white-on-black "SERVITE" T-shirt...that's what I'm talking about
George Will

Donald Trump