It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Re: It's Servite-Mater Dei Week...ssshhhhhhhhh

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Whoa whoa whoa, I think $7.2M is totally reasonable for a stadium that seats only a couple thousand more than Mater Dei’s basketball arena, and allegedly has no brick and mortar bathrooms included.

I did hear it has a modified, padded throne for Sondheimer in one of the two press boxes.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Servite surprised me. I thought they made it more of a game then I could have imagined. By all the Servite alums talk all year I expected 60-0 at the half. I think this year is a very positive step for you guys and really should be proud.
TT has got them tougher and playing good football.

I disagree with MDDad insofar as I think MD came out flat after the physical IMG game and took Servite too lightly and I would like an explanation on the low IQ statement. Servite took the game seriously and MD did not, at times causing some bad blood. However it it MD-Servite football you wouldn't want either team to roll over.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:43 pm

Professor Fate wrote:I didn't see that, but...You don't suppose the last seven Monarch offensive plays had anything to do with it do you?

After a blocked punt put MD on the Servite 20 yd line:

1. Pass 18 yds to the 2. 1st and goal.
2. Pass into the end zone. incomplete and a 5 yd penalty.
3. Pass into the end zone. incomplete.
4. Pass into the end zone. offensive pass interference.
5. Pass into the flat incomplete.
6. Pass 20 yds complete to the 2 yd line.
7. Pass into the end zone incomplete.

All that while leading 35-0. Servite took over on downs and let the last 19 seconds run out.
Professor
Those plays were by a Senior QB who never get to throw the ball in a blow out game to a soph receiver. The QB will never again be able to play against his biggest rival and the offense coordinator let him play. Beside 35 or 42 what the heck is the difference? If TT got his undies in a wad over that he needs some help.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Last year MD gave up a 55 yd TD catch to Julius Irvin in the first quarter and The Asylum was going bananas. Friars didn’t score again, the Asylum was allegedly kicked out of the Bowl at halftime for vulgar chants, and MD won 51-7.

Afterward folks said MD came out flat after a long Trinity Lg season, was looking ahead to the playoffs, and didn’t take Servite seriously.

When is the last time MD took Servite seriously? Seriously ... 2011? In defense of the MD kids, it’s got to be hard to get motivated when youre playing a school whose fans expect to lose by 100 and consider it progress to only lose by 35 while getting shut out.

After getting banged around for 3 hours by a bunch of 6’8” 400 pound Goliaths and Samsons the week before, the Monarchs could be excused for “only” winning 35-0 “on the road,” against their biggest rival, led by a fired up Troy Thomas in his first year back in the rivalry.

This Servite game was predictably a letdown game/extra bye week for MD as soon as the IMG game was scheduled in March. It sounds like there may have been some issues with the way MD played at times. But whether the rivalry purists like it or not, a 35-0 MD win considering the circumstances should not be a dissappointment.
Last edited by FatherSonHolyHldbcks on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 pm

And when Servite FG attempt bounces off the crossbar the asylum chants "that's our season"

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Professor Fate wrote:You don't suppose the last seven Monarch offensive plays had anything to do with it do you?
You're joking, right? Scrubs who didn't even sniff the field in the BIG game last week are handed the keys in the red zone and you expect them to do what, validate your pain?

As a fan of the probable last place team I would suggest you think about developing a thicker skin...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:18 pm

joefutbol wrote:Gotcha. So they weren't trying their hardest with the league title on the line, or they just weren't yet firing on all cylinders during their 11th game (scrimmage included). Makes sense.
1) Of course they were trying to win

2) Cylinders? Yeah, that's it...maybe all that scoring caused a loss of compression :cool:

For whatever reason, they lost by one point to a team that got bounced in the second round, and then they ran the table to the state title. I didn't see the game, why do you think Servite won?

Maybe that's what you were thinking, but that's not what you wrote.

When people compare champions from different years, they're not talking about the teams in their first games of that year or the 5th or the one that happens to fit their narrative. They're comparing the final products to each other. Is this a new concept for you?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:51 pm

MDDad wrote:Buck, a better question would be "how many of the starting 22 at ANY of the Trinity League schools are paying full tuition or even half?" Anyone who knows anything about this subject already knows the answer, which I think probably leaves you in the dark.
Clearly many, of not most, are getting some form of tuition assistance, which I have no problem with. Heck, at least 30% of our student body as a whole is getting some sort of financial aid, which extends way beyond the football team. Not many families can afford $15k or more in tuition without some help.

I don't know the policies of other Trinity League schools, but at Servite everyone--athlete or not--who receives financial aid is working some of that off in one way or another in various campus jobs. So the day before the Mater Dei game, there's starting QB Blaze McKibben on the afternoon cleaning crew, erasing whiteboards, changing out trash cans, cleaning bathrooms, as do a number of students on any given day. Equanimeous St. Brown, who's now with the Green Bay Packers, did the same in his day. Others work in the cafeteria or the student store.

Obviously, there's no way to make up anything close to full tuition but the principle is a valuable one in encouraging gratitude and humility.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm staying out of this one.

Bongo: three, two, one......

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Lol! The funny part is that it didn't bother me at the time, and it produced a proud moment...a successful goal line stand against the #1 or #2 (rated) team in the nation.

I merely suggested it as one possible reason to explain TT's alleged snub of Rollo.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Professor Fate wrote: it produced a proud moment...a successful goal line stand against the #1 or #2 (rated) team in the nation.
Give the Mater Dei coaching staff some credit. They worked hard the whole game trying to find a combination of players you could keep out of your end zone
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: When people compare champions from different years, they're not talking about the teams in their first games of that year or the 5th or the one that happens to fit their narrative. They're comparing the final products to each other. Is this a new concept for you?
It's not a new concept, but it makes as much sense as it did the first time I heard it. Florida State "caught fire" after losing to Notre Dame in 1993, and Loyola "caught fire" in 2005 when they won the CIF title after going 2-3 in league. And you're still a moron.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:46 pm

watchersince68 wrote: Those plays were by a Senior QB who never get to throw the ball
Why does he "never get to throw the ball"?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:48 pm

I guess that would make you a person who spends time and energy debating morons to a stalemate...impressive
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:52 pm

In my defense, it's very little time and even less energy. And I didn't know we were debating. But, congratulations on your stalemate.

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm

o'hara has played in 3 games prior to last night and had thrown 6 passes completing 3. Almost all the plays
are running plays with the exception of maybe throwing the pass to make a first down after the run plays.
The Servite Staff know the numbers of the MD players who are the main players---and none of them were
on the field at that time of the game. They were all the Reserves. It was a classless move by Troy and
the staff--and not a good example to set for the team.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm

longtimeobserver wrote: Almost all the plays
are running plays with the exception of maybe throwing the pass to make a first down after the run plays.
Maybe that's why, after seven pass plays in a row, they took exception. Or maybe it was something else.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Give the Mater Dei coaching staff some credit. They worked hard the whole game trying to find a combination of players you could keep out of your end zone
Damn clever. One of your best posts ever. And to second the Professor, it didn't bother me much at the time. It's like the end-of-the-bench players jacking up three's in the last minute of a basketball game.

But 90 minutes to reply? That's not like you.

Are you a Mater Dei alum? Parent?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:I'm staying out of this one.
Promises promises

But 90 minutes to reply? That's not like you

Mea culpa...I'm busy watching JT lead the Trojans to victory...aren't you?
George Will

Donald Trump