Bosco Upset Alert

aberamsey

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by aberamsey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:15 am

I don't think Bosco underestimated JSerra, I feel that their weak non-conference schedule was the factor. JSerra was a huge step up in class. I know the popular narrative is that Bosco didn't play well or overlooked JSerra. I was at the game and the one thing that is very clear is that this is not last year's JSerra team. They have significantly improved their team speed, especially on defense. Bosco ended up with a big rushing number in the end, but until the middle third and into the fourth they had difficulty running the ball. Offensively I was surprised at how much DJ struggled with pressure. Unlike past years, JSerra was actually able to move the football versus an elite (Bosco/MD) type defense. In the end I think JSerra struggled with what will continue to be their challenge, depth. Whether it's the small size of the school or the fact they are still building, they have small numbers. Bosco was able to make mass defensive line substitutions and alternate star running backs. Eventually they started to wear JSerra down. It will be interesting to see how the JSerra defense looks in the next couple of years if they can keep the players they have in the program. Several key players on defense are freshman and sophomores, including the two starting linebackers. The combination of Genova and Te'o will wreak havoc on the Trinity over the next two seasons if they stay put.

All that said, if the Bosco team that played Friday shows up versus the Mater Dei team that beat IMG, I don't see SJB hanging with Mater Dei.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 am

I told ya'll after game one of the season this wasn't the same JSerra program of yesteryear. I've watched them off-season and during the past two seasons and this is what attracting talent looks like. They may be a step behind the big two the they are picking up the pace as a program.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm

think coaching change made a big difference. Harlow much more player-friendly than the old regime; offensive philosophy differs from MD/Bosco and will attract top linemen and running backs looking to be featured. If they can keep talent in-school and improve depth, you may see a potential TL/state champ at JSerra.

dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm

As long as the MD/Bosco cast-offs end up at JSerra, they will remain competitive for 3rd place.

Aren't they building the equivalent of athletic dorms next to campus?

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:10 pm

no-those are private houses going in.

If I'm an offensive lineman or running back (particularly an oline guy)-could you think of any other coach you would want to play for besides Harlow?

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:09 pm

daddyooo
Positively yes

FBOC

Post by FBOC » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 pm

daddyooo wrote:think coaching change made a big difference. Harlow much more player-friendly than the old regime; offensive philosophy differs from MD/Bosco and will attract top linemen and running backs looking to be featured. If they can keep talent in-school and improve depth, you may see a potential TL/state champ at JSerra.
Coaching and twenty some transfers? That will make a difference at any school with any coach. Jserra is good maybe 3rd or 4th best in Div we will no more after OLU. Bosco is not a top 5 team in the country. I don't buy they were not ready to play or can just turn it on versus Mater Dei. Really? They were not ready to play the second best team they will play this year?? Not ready for a challenge after that weak pre season schedule especially for a top 5 team in the nation.

aberamsey

Post by aberamsey » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:12 pm

The "twenty something transfers" myth is the Eric Sondheimer effect. That number includes all athletic transfers to JSerra, not just football. They had thirteen transfers come to the program. Of that there are 10 that are getting varsity time. It has clearly had an impact but can we stop exaggerating the numbers?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Per the CIF, they had 15.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:35 am

"Per the CIF, they had 15." Total sport or for football?
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:07 am

We are lauding the JSerra coaching yet they made 2 HUGE mistakes against Bosco. Not saying that it would have changed the outcome but they left me scratching my head.
1. JSerra going for the onside kick at end of the first half. This allowed Bosco to tie game going into the half.
2. 12 men on the field for the Bosco punt near end of game. Just as JSerra is about to get ball back with a chance to pull something out maybe...... the JSerra player was correctly running off the field prior to the punt... but then a JSerra coach tells him to go back onto the field. Penalty and game over.

FBOC

Post by FBOC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:44 am

MDDad wrote:Per the CIF, they had 15.
The past 2 years??

aberamsey

Post by aberamsey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:49 am

One clarification, they weren't going for an onside kick, the kicker just missed it and it looked like an onside kick attempt.

SJBOSCO

Post by SJBOSCO » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:51 am

FBOC wrote:Coaching and twenty some transfers? That will make a difference at any school with any coach. Jserra is good maybe 3rd or 4th best in Div we will no more after OLU. Bosco is not a top 5 team in the country. I don't buy they were not ready to play or can just turn it on versus Mater Dei. Really? They were not ready to play the second best team they will play this year?? Not ready for a challenge after that weak pre season schedule especially for a top 5 team in the nation.
JSerra will destroy OLU.

Luca

Post by Luca » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:10 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:I like to feel that Bosco overlooked or underestimated JSerra a lot, they didn't get serious about them until the 4th quarter.
Seriously?

They were playing their first difficult opponent, a team that was 5–0 against five other teams that otherwise are now 23–2, and themselves ranked sixth nationally by Maxpreps?

And they did not take them seriously?

I think Joseph Stalin may have tried that one regarding the Wehrrmacht in 1942, but it was not terribly convincing then and is not all that convincing now............................Luca

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:18 am

aberamsey wrote:One clarification, they weren't going for an onside kick, the kicker just missed it and it looked like an onside kick attempt.
Are you claiming Charlie Brown was on the team? Really?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am

SK80 wrote:"Per the CIF, they had 15." Total sport or for football?
FBOC wrote:]The past 2 years??
According to the CIF website, JSerra's current varsity football roster has one kid who transferred in 2016-17, five who transferred in 2017/18, and 15 who transferred in this year, for a total of 21.

FBOC

Post by FBOC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks that's what I thought. So 21 transfers in 2 years will make your team quite a bit better.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:53 am

As I pointed out several weeks ago, the four schools in the Southern Section with 20 or more transfers on their varsity football teams are

Servite - 24
St. John Bosco - 22
JSerra - 21
Corona Centennial - 20

It's no coincidence that three of those teams are among the five best in the southland, and the other will start to reap the benefits next year.

FBOC

Post by FBOC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 am

OutOfState wrote:We are lauding the JSerra coaching yet they made 2 HUGE mistakes against Bosco. Not saying that it would have changed the outcome but they left me scratching my head.
1. JSerra going for the onside kick at end of the first half. This allowed Bosco to tie game going into the half.
2. 12 men on the field for the Bosco punt near end of game. Just as JSerra is about to get ball back with a chance to pull something out maybe...... the JSerra player was correctly running off the field prior to the punt... but then a JSerra coach tells him to go back onto the field. Penalty and game over.
Yeah really I think it has more to do with 21 transfers than the coaching. I bet Chad Johnson would be a better coach if MV got 15 transfers over the summer.