Bosco Upset Alert

MDDad
Posts: 12125
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by MDDad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:20 am

Chad isn't that far behind. He has 17 transfers on his team, including eight who came in this year.

aberamsey
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by aberamsey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:41 am

Of course transfers are a positive factor. There's also a reason those transfers are coming and the head coach is a big factor in that. Culture is important.

Additionally, there is a significant difference between getting a host of senior transfers versus sophomores. Mater Dei and JSerra are a convenient punching bag for everyone that hates the transfer culture. It seems no one ever talks about the fact that Bosco had several players transfer from one team that are already D1 commits. Bowman, McDuffie, Toler, Lytle, etc. If I'm a Bosco parent, with the sheer amount of talent in the program and large numbers, I'm questioning these type of situations and what it does to players already in the program who have stayed loyal and worked hard for those spots. Bosco regularly has 70+ players on freshman and JV, a massive difference from JSerra that had 23 players on the freshman team last year with only ten staying in the program as sophomores. Take away the transfers and they have trouble fielding a team.
Last edited by aberamsey on Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FBOC
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by FBOC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:08 am

MDDad wrote:Chad isn't that far behind. He has 17 transfers on his team, including eight who came in this year.
Does this site list names?

MDDad
Posts: 12125
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by MDDad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:47 am

Yes.

FBOC
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by FBOC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Can you give the link please. I'm trying to think of 9 this year. They are certainly no where near the quality of the Jserra transfers. The top 3 Barnes-2 offers, Forrest-2 bottom level pac 12 offers and Woulard-only Ivy and Academy offers. Spree is a rotation receiver no offers. Nowland starting db no offers. Harris-Doesn't suit up. Rahlwes non starter.

MDDad
Posts: 12125
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by MDDad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:25 pm

FBOC, in checking the names, I noticed there is one duplicate listed.

2016-17
None remaining

2017-18
Syrr Barnes
Joseph Forrest
Shaun Gold
R.J. Lopez
Jackson McCleary
Jacob Nowland
Chris Rahlwes
Brody Tabor
Joey Yellen

2018-19
Charles Frum
Trilian Harris
Chris Rahlwes (duplicate of 2017-18)
Isaiah Reams
Tyson Scott
Joshua Welles
Cassady Welles
Deavyn Woullard

https://cifss.org/approvals/transfers/

FBOC
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by FBOC » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks MD Dad

Wow had to look all but 6 of those up bc I've never heard of them. Out of all those guys only four start. Of the 5 starters only one is a 4 star recruit. Some of these guys don't even have #'s assigned to them or what they weigh listed on the roster. I guess I must clarify then and say how many transfer starters does Jserra have? How many are 3-5 star recruits and compare that to MV's four.

SJBOSCO
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by SJBOSCO » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm

aberamsey wrote:Of course transfers are a positive factor. There's also a reason those transfers are coming and the head coach is a big factor in that. Culture is important.

Additionally, there is a significant difference between getting a host of senior transfers versus sophomores. Mater Dei and JSerra are a convenient punching bag for everyone that hates the transfer culture. It seems no one ever talks about the fact that Bosco had several players transfer from one team that are already D1 commits. Bowman, McDuffie, Toler, Lytle, etc. If I'm a Bosco parent, with the sheer amount of talent in the program and large numbers, I'm questioning these type of situations and what it does to players already in the program who have stayed loyal and worked hard for those spots. Bosco regularly has 70+ players on freshman and JV, a massive difference from JSerra that had 23 players on the freshman team last year with only ten staying in the program as sophomores. Take away the transfers and they have trouble fielding a team.
Whoa check your fact on the senior transfer numbers. Mater Dei had far more than Bosco. Senior Transfer at JSerra still take out some kid that has been there. It is all the same.

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:52 pm

SJBOSCO wrote:They traded the Hut Drill for premium coaches, wins and rid of the teachers that Bosco fired.
Apparently CIF championships do not impart humility or graciousness.

I completely respect the fact that you love your school, but your attempt to deflect the academic issues is uninformed. Like I said, I myself know of three teachers who had secure positions at Bosco and left due to the watering down of academics at the school. There have likely been more. And the kids who have transferred from Bosco to Servite (nice kids; good character) have consistently struggled due to the stepped up academic demands here.

It's great to have a winning team and shiny new stadium, but there's always a cost. For what shall it profit a man.....? (Mark 8:36)

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote: I myself know of three teachers who had secure positions at Bosco and left due to the watering down of academics at the school
What's a "secure" position? Can't be fired? And as you know it's not like private schools pay competitive wages...if they moved to public schools it's likely they got pay raises, increased job security and benefits...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:41 pm

These are teachers who had jobs at Bosco and left voluntarily for Servite and other Catholic high schools, where they certainly weren't receiving any significant pay raise, if any. I was merely responding to the BOSCO poster's petty and ignorant implication that these were teachers who were "fired" by SJBHS. Wrong.

I should have figured Poacher, Jr. would try to defend Poacher, Sr., but this isn't your beef. You don't know the facts here.

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Bosco-OLU 7-7 at the end of the 1st Quarter. Braves' running game about to push ahead for the lead.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 pm

You don't know the facts here

Which is why I asked what a "secure" position means, which you conveniently avoided answering. You did manage to tell us what we already knew, i.e., that public school teachers make more that private ones. Um, thanks.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
Johnny Utah
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Johnny Utah » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 pm

All I know is from what I've seen of SJB and MD this year, Bosco's gonna get spanked next week.
"Jesus told the story of the Prodigal Son to make a simple point: never mind what you've done, just come home."

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Bosco looks like the better team tonight but the offense isn't really clicking like one would expect...OLu has scored on a couple of big plays to keep up
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 pm

P.S. OLu kick coverage is horrendous
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Wow...Nice OLu drive and 4th down TD pass/catch...35-28
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 pm

OLu kickoff team doesn't allow another runback...progress
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:You don't know the facts here.
Exactly. I like a lot of your posts but it advances the conversation nothing to seize upon some word or expression that is totally secondary to the substance of the issue (e.g., "secure") and throw out a what do you mean? or what are you taking about?, as if you've disproven my point.

You don't have to respond to everything I post.

Anyway, how's Mater Dei doing tonight?

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Bosco Upset Alert

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Wasn't proving/disproving anything...it was an honest question (which you still haven't answered, btw) Was wondering if SJB offers tenure...why did you say it if it wasn't germane to your point?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Post Reply