Pipeline of players

Daforno

Pipeline of players

Post by Daforno » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:31 pm

MD should have their eyes out for a QB who just finished his freshman year.

Young plays his senior year ( I don't think he will pull a J.T. ) While the next in line plays his soph year.

Then the door is wide open for a QB to come in

Anyone have any projections as to who that QB might be?

SK80

Re: Pipeline of players

Post by SK80 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:37 pm

There has to be some kid from the block.... ROFL
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 pm

The current Monarch frosh QB looked pretty good to me when they played at Servite. No reason why he shouldn't be groomed to succeed Young.

ocfootballfan

Post by ocfootballfan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 am

Who does Olu have coming up to replace Hilinski?

RPW

Post by RPW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Young is committed to USC. Great school and tradition but is that the best place for him to play football?
I am The Voice of Reason

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:01 pm

ocfootballfan wrote: Who does Olu have coming up to replace Hilinski?
When Hilinski was knocked out of the Centennial playoff game, they had a freshman named Logan Gonzalez get a couple reps, with another graduating senior playing most of the rest of the game (Jack Fierro). Gonzalez is listed at 6’2” 175, and I believe that was his first varsity action this season.

Chad Johnson and Mission Viejo lured away OLu’s varsity backup and heir apperent QB, 6’3” Soph Brayden Zermeno, at MIDSEASON (week 7) (I believe he lives in the district).

Might see OLu hit that QB transfer market this winter. Maybe they’ll reach out to Soph QB Trillian Harris, who is currently at Mission after transferring from both Temecula Chapparal and Santa Margarita last offseason. Otherwise that’s going to be an interesting competition for the Diablos QB spot.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm

RPW wrote: Young is committed to USC. Great school and tradition but is that the best place for him to play football?
No. Oklahoma is. He’s potentially Kyler Murray 2.0 in that offense. But the Sooners have the Elite 11 MVP from Arizona (Spencer Rattler) coming in only 1 class ahead of Bryce.

If Bryce goes to SC, JT will be 2 years ahead of him with only a “sandwich” QB recruit
in between. It’s why no major 2019 CA QB (Hilinski, Jayden Daniels, Yellen, etc.) even considered SC seriously. That, and they’re not good right now.

RPW

Post by RPW » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:37 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: No. Oklahoma is. He’s potentially Kyler Murray 2.0 in that offense. But the Sooners have the Elite 11 MVP from Arizona (Spencer Rattler) coming in only 1 class ahead of Bryce.

If Bryce goes to SC, JT will be 2 years ahead of him with only a “sandwich” QB recruit
in between. It’s why no major 2019 CA QB (Hilinski, Jayden Daniels, Yellen, etc.) even considered SC seriously. That, and they’re not good right now.
With all the pressure playing QB at USC puts on a kid, i don't understand why he would go there. He has a nice game but not a stand out QB. Reminds me of that dude that played QB at Lakewood years ago that took a shot at USC and then left.
I am The Voice of Reason

jb914

Post by jb914 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:No. Oklahoma is. He’s potentially Kyler Murray 2.0 in that offense. But the Sooners have the Elite 11 MVP from Arizona (Spencer Rattler) coming in only 1 class ahead of Bryce.

Bryce is a MUCH better passer than Kyler was in his junior year of HS. Kyler has much more speed than Bryce.

If SC gets Kliff Kingsbury as an OC Bryce would fit well into Kliff's offense. Kliff worked with Manziel, Mahomes and Mayfield before he transfers from Tech to OU.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:10 pm

jb914 wrote: Bryce is a MUCH better passer than Kyler was in his junior year
I don’t know about MUCH better. Kyler passed for almost 3700 yds and 46 TDs to 9INT, at a 63% completion rate on 325 passes, as a junior. On an undefeated Texas 5A state champ that finished #2 in the nation behind only Miami Booker T Washington, and #1 in another poll. That’s of course NOT counting his 1300 rush yds and 19 rush TD. I’d say Kyler was pretty freakin good at slinging the rock that year.

It wasn’t just numbers either; his tape was impressive, just like Bryce’s. Kyler and Bryce are both true dual threats, and my point is Bryce would fit just as seamlessly in the Lincoln Riley offense. But so will Rattler. And Rattler could start as a freshman if Kyler is a AA centerfielder for the A’s. Therein lies the reason I don’t see BY as a Sooner.
jb914 wrote: If SC gets Kliff Kingsbury as an OC Bryce would fit well into Kliff's offense.
Probably. But, that’s a helluva if for KK to come to SC. And Kingsbury’s offense didn’t fit Baker (when he was a walk on freshman and got replaced after getting hurt, then passed over for a scholarship!) as well as Lincoln Riley’s offense did at OKLA, the one he used to win the Heisman.

Mahomes? Yeah that worked VERY WELL for him. He threw for 5 Million Yards at TT. But Mahomes is a much different QB than Bryce, Rattler, Kyler, Baker, or even JT.

I think Manziel is the closest to Bryce’s play style out of BM, PM, and JM (especially the 1-handed ball security, similar size, and often magical plays) so yeah maybe if you get super-Texas guy Kingsbury to demote down to OC and come to SoCal, he and Bryce could win a Heisman ala Johnny Football. --:--

jb914

Post by jb914 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:48 pm

FatherSon,

Stats are one thing, but, looking at what throws a QB can make is another. Kyler had difficulty with arm strength and couldn't make some of the same throws Bryce can make at the same age.

That was something that was exposed when Kyler played against SEC teams at A&M. Kyler has sat out for transfer and behind Mayfield and is much stronger now after 2 years of development and weight room. He's much better off in the BDF-12 than the SEC where Bama broke him like a twig.

The Kingsbury thing, yea, well who knows right? I just see it as a great fit. Big program and Kliff has a reputation as a ladies man, so, USC being in the land of bolt-on boobies is a plus. :lol:

I could also see Kingsbury being hired by The Nick Saban Academy for Head Coaching Rehabilitation. My gut tells me Kliff is gonna be an OC somewhere again before he's a head coach. But, that could just be indigestion, so, ...... :oops: :lol:

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:49 pm

jb914 wrote: Stats are one thing, but, looking at what throws a QB can make is another. Kyler had difficulty with arm strength and couldn't make some of the same throws Bryce can make at the same age.
I hear you. But well, I mean, I did mention it wasn’t just numbers! :lol: You should look at Kyler’s junior tape, which pretty much looks like a copy of Bryce this year in spots, esp. from a passing perspective. They were in very similar offenses and even MOVED similarly:

I think that tape shows Kyler’s arm in 2013 to be plenty strong. Some great throws against good comp, if not MD’s schedule. If Bryce 2018 has a stronger arm, it wasn’t by much. When Bryce puts his junior tape out next month, I’d bet those two reels will look alike, with of course more scrambles from The Roadrunner AKA KM.

And man, if you put Bryce out there against Alabama and Georgia in a couple years, he’d struggle too! He’ll need to get in the weight room too. They’re of course not the same player, just similar, and IMHO (another poster’s favorite acronym) would both fit perfectly in that Sooner O. Obviously Kyler has.

Again, just my opinion, not trying to be “confrontational” or “over the top” :roll: \:D/
jb914 wrote: The Nick Saban Academy for Head Coaching Rehabilitation.
Coach Handsome (as Desmond Howard calls him) will for sure be an “analyst” at Bama next year, then he’ll be the offensive coordinator of the Bills or Falcons in 2020 #-o

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:42 pm

RPW wrote:He has a nice game but not a stand out QB
College ball is two years away...no need to wait to see if he makes a jump next year?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

RPW

Post by RPW » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:02 am

Omar Bongo wrote: College ball is two years away...no need to wait to see if he makes a jump next year?
Why are you trying to stop me from jumping to conclusions early?
I am The Voice of Reason

jb914

Post by jb914 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:49 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:I hear you. But well, I mean, I did mention it wasn’t just numbers! :lol: You should look at Kyler’s junior tape, which pretty much looks like a copy of Bryce this year in spots, esp. from a passing perspective. They were in very similar offenses and even MOVED similarly:

I think that tape shows Kyler’s arm in 2013 to be plenty strong. Some great throws against good comp, if not MD’s schedule. If Bryce 2018 has a stronger arm, it wasn’t by much. When Bryce puts his junior tape out next month, I’d bet those two reels will look alike, with of course more scrambles from The Roadrunner AKA KM.

And man, if you put Bryce out there against Alabama and Georgia in a couple years, he’d struggle too! He’ll need to get in the weight room too. They’re of course not the same player, just similar, and IMHO (another poster’s favorite acronym) would both fit perfectly in that Sooner O. Obviously Kyler has.

Again, just my opinion, not trying to be “confrontational” or “over the top” :roll: \:D/

Coach Handsome (as Desmond Howard calls him) will for sure be an “analyst” at Bama next year, then he’ll be the offensive coordinator of the Bills or Falcons in 2020 #-o
Coach Handsome to USC. Hide your coeds!

Kyler has a lot of talent. I just think Bryce has a lot more zip on the ball and tried to make a play with his arm instead of just bolting down the field, which you have to admit was Kyler's strength at Allen HS.

But, that situation at A&M was a trainwreck. I'm pretty sure Kyler's dad, who was a stud A&M QB back in the '80s was a helo parent in the recruiting process.

He should have redshirted, but, I think his dad was insistent he wanted to the kid to play and Sumlin must have made him some kind of promise. He wasn't ready and it showed. Then Sumlin's QB shuffle pissed off both kids and cost the Ag's both 5 star QB's (Kyle Allen transferred to U of H to play for Tom Hermann who left him at Cougar High when the Texas job was open!) Kyler transferred to OU and the rest is history. Look what two years of development and learning the system did for him! I hope he doesn't get hurt and signs a big deal in Baseball. Kid's got no future in the NFL, he's way too small.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:14 pm

RPW wrote:Why are you trying to stop me from jumping to conclusions early?
On the off chance he's one of the ones that makes that quantum leap to another level...that's the fun part
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:03 pm

jb914 wrote: Coach Handsome to USC. Hide your coeds!
Good call on Kliff, although he either played coy or SERIOUSLY considered that NFL option. And it might be more like “hide your Manhattan Beach desperate housewives!”
jb914 wrote: But, that situation at A&M was a trainwreck. I'm pretty sure Kyler's dad, who was a stud A&M QB back in the '80s was a helo parent in the recruiting process.

He should have redshirted, but, I think his dad was insistent he wanted to the kid to play and Sumlin must have made him some kind of promise. He wasn't ready and it showed. Then Sumlin's QB shuffle pissed off both kids and cost the Ag's both 5 star QB's
I can’t disagree with an Aggie Superfan lol

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:22 pm

jb914 wrote: Kyler transferred to OU and the rest is history. Look what two years of development and learning the system did for him!

I hope he doesn't get hurt and signs a big deal in Baseball. Kid's got no future in the NFL, he's way too small.
It helped him win the Heisman and become a top 10 baseball draft pick. He’s already signed a $4.66M deal with the A’s! And NFL GMs, scouts and draft analysts are saying he’s got a football future ... some saying he could be a first round pick and a franchise QB if he committed to playing on the gridiron, despite his size.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: Otherwise that’s going to be an interesting competition for the Diablos QB spot.
COEXIST...I don't know the symbolic spelling sorry...

Actually they could be used in different roles, each has different skill sets so expect to see "interesting," as you say looks from the Adversary's...

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:57 am

it's been while since Mission had a very highly-recruited QB, I believe not since Mark Sanchez.

I believe when Matt Barkley started HS at MD, that also marked a turning point in MD becoming a QB factory again, started to make star QB's want to attend MD more than anywhere else.