Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Re: Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:14 am

jb914 wrote: Would love to see the film on some of the calls.
Check out this filthy “block in the back” on Dollars! Cheap shot LOL

My God ... should have been ejected and suspended for the first half of the Under Armour Game AND Oregon’s season opener!

#CIFRefs

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 am

jb914 wrote: The officiating was absolutely horrible. Easily the worst game of the year. Give the zebras the state trophy.
I don’t know man, that’s saying a lot. The MD-IMG and MD-Cen10 games were “Game of the Week, starring [White Hat official] ... also occasionally featuring a HS football game”

And that’s not even counting the 100 other examples of embarrassing officiating around the CIFSS this fall

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:39 am

jb914 wrote: Had MD been at full strength in defense and not had to beat DLS and the officiating crew it would have been a shutout.
Mater Dei didn’t have a top 5 LB nationally all season (Funa), lost their best safety (Nimmo) for the season in the Bosco game, lost their best OL (Murao) for the season in the JSerra game, then played De La Salle without one HS All American DB (Criddell) and without another kid (Ricks) who was probably the best DB in the United States this season, regardless of class. That’s not even counting early season “suspensions,” transfer sit outs and other midseason injuries.

They STILL knocked off a Bosco team that was being talked about with the best HS teams of all time, for the CIF title, and followed that up with a 2nd consecutive easy state title win over DLS. Went 13-1 on the field against what was ranked by some as the toughest schedule in HS Football. That’s pretty impressive.
Last edited by FatherSonHolyHldbcks on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:40 am

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:Which chapter of “When The Game Stands Tall” instructs Spartan players to punch their opponents in the face?
Who did that?

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:51 am

ya, the win over Bosco in the post-season had to be the biggest shock to everyone, as for DLS, I feel DLS beat themselves way more than MD beat them, DLS basically handed the game away to MD with those turnovers, you would think DLS would learn from their mistakes last year, MD is the last team you want to turn the ball over to.

this happened almost 2 decades ago, but MD beating Bosco is similar to when MD beat a heavily favored LB Poly team in the 2002 Semi-Finals, I believe Jason Forcier was the QB at the time for MD, which was also a close game as well, although that game had no national title implications.

As much of a rich history LB Poly has, and having sent more players to the NFL than any other high school in the country, their biggest detractor is that they have never won a national championship in HS FB, not even a state championship either I believe.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:30 am

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:Check out this filthy “block in the back” on Dollars! Cheap shot LOL

My God ... should have been ejected and suspended for the first half of the Under Armour Game AND Oregon’s season opener!

#CIFRefs

But, on this play, instead of MD scoring, or even MD getting a "spot foul" for the block we ended up getting 15 yard, from the previous spot, penalty and having 2nd and 25-30????? --:--

and it appeared our punter was hit twice with no calls.

and the call on Bru's other big catch that was called back

and Bru had a one on one early in the game where the other guy obviously had PI which was obvious to eveyone in the stadium :bonk:

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:53 am

MD beat the horrible officiating...End of Story.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

Red

Post by Red » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:26 am

cruiser wrote:MD has three starters out, actually four if you count Funa, Ricks in street clothes,
What happen with Ricks?

This is still anyone's game. MD getting the penalty fever again, will be their downfall.
DLS seems a lot more versatile in their offense this year.
One of the worst ref game ever! The Refs ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:54 am

jb914 wrote:But, on this play, instead of MD scoring, or even MD getting a "spot foul" for the block we ended up getting 15 yard, from the previous spot, penalty and having 2nd and 25-30????? --:--

and Bru had a one on one early in the game where the other guy obviously had PI which was obvious to eveyone in the stadium :bonk:
You didn't get penalized at all for the block in the back, which was clearly a block in the back. DLS declined that penalty. So that's why you didn't get a "spot foul."

Bru's other big catch was called back because he pushed off before he made the catch. That was a good call.

The other catch that was obviously PI to everyone in the stadium probably should have been flagged. And so should have two or three DLS passing plays that MD got away with.

The "late hit" personal foul on the last drive when Bryce Young was still in bounds was a bad call, too. But like every game, you benefit from some bad calls and your opponent benefits from some others. The only really bad call was the first field goal being called no good. It looked like it was in. Otherwise the officiating seemed just fine.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:32 am

jb914 wrote: But, on this play, instead of MD scoring, or even MD getting a "spot foul" for the block we ended up getting 15 yard, from the previous spot, penalty and having 2nd and 25-30?????

and Bru had a one on one early in the game where the other guy obviously had PI which was obvious to eveyone in the stadium
Yes, all that, continued confusion on spots, prolonged huddling like zombies, the missed blatant personal foul on the punter, the phantom clip, the phantom OPI, plus at least 3-4 personal foul unsportsmanlikes between BOTH teams that we’re lazily ignored. Refs so bad they’ve even got fans confused on whether a penalty THAT CALLED BACK A TD was actually accepted by DLS (it was). But yeah, officiating seems just fine.

At least they caught the dirty late hit by DLS on BY this time. He’s taken at least 3 of those uncalled in these playoffs, feel for the kid.

#CIFRefs #ReplaceThemAll2019

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:04 pm

The officiating was at best questionable, along with many bad spots. Can't wait to watch the game on tape.

The team was incredible under all the adversities with players on the sidelines and some freshmen filling in
admirably under very tough conditions. Ricks was held out.

My Monarchs of the year Shaqkobe and Bru, really hate to see them go. Both were class acts!

The coaching this year really stood out, last years team won it on their own.

Finally I saw the my old friends who are the chain gang and told them what you guys posted and as advertised
they got a great laugh out of it.

NO ONE has forgotten last years game except the few of you with alzheimers.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:36 pm

Ya, actually wonder if a lot of the competed DLS pass plays would have worked if all the actual
starting D backfield players were on the field, only one was Green,I believe, other than that,it
has been all make shift, hell; two freshmen!; were playing on D, the MD DC said it was a first
this year that MD ever had frosh start games on D since he has been the DC!

You have to give credit to DLS,they did not fold like last year when the score was 28-7 in
MD's favor at the start of the 4th quarter, props to them.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:46 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote:Yes, all that, continued confusion on spots, prolonged huddling like zombies, the missed blatant personal foul on the punter, the phantom clip, the phantom OPI, plus at least 3-4 personal foul unsportsmanlikes between BOTH teams that we’re lazily ignored. Refs so bad they’ve even got fans confused on whether a penalty THAT CALLED BACK A TD was actually accepted by DLS (it was). But yeah, officiating seems just fine.

At least they caught the dirty late hit by DLS on BY this time. He’s taken at least 3 of those uncalled in these playoffs, feel for the kid.

#CIFRefs #ReplaceThemAll2019
I saw our punter hit twice without calls. the spots were awful, like YARDS not feet :roll: I was sitting next to a few people who were just there to watch the game, not MD homers. They were really talking about the poor officiating.

Hopefully someone will post the YouTube tape, so, now that the 25 Spectrum subscribers have seen the game.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:02 pm

How about the late hit call against DLS that extended the Mater Dei drive in the 4th qtr that ultimately resulted in the TD that put them up 35-21? I believe that came on a 3rd and long; without that call MD likely punts and DLS has a chance to tie the game. Definitely a momentum shifter, though I think MD wins the game anyway.

I think Bryce Young did something deliberate to coax the penalty (he's done this before, but, to be fair, I've seen other QBs do the same), which is this: as he is scrambling to get out of bounds he slows down to a near stop right at the edge of the sideline; the defensive player in pursuit, seeing that he is in bounds, administers a hit which then draws the penalty, as the refs are overly cautious with almost any contact to the QB. The natural instinct of such a scrambling QB would be get out of bounds without taking a hit, so it seems to me the QBs are being coached into drawing this foul, which is big one--15 yards and an automatic 1st down. It looks like a low risk/high reward kind of tactic (rarely does a QB get hurt on such a play).

On the TV broadcast the DLS sideline was incredulous at the call, and even the TV guys acknowledged it was iffy. The refs need to adjust to this and let the kids play it out. When they stop getting rewarded for this tactic, they'll stop doing it.
Last edited by Credo ut intelligam on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:20 pm

MDDad wrote:Everyone has quotes that they remember for years. One I remember came from Bob Ladouceur during the last few years of The Streak. He was asked for a newspaper or magazine article what the biggest factor was for his program's remarkable success. His response was, "The train from Oakland."
Watching the DLS kids last night, that train must have been re-routed in recent years. My eyeballs told me that the 5' 9" scrappy kids from Walnut Creek, no matter how well-coached, were no match for the Monarchs. Taking nothing away from Mater Dei, but DLS needed a last minute TD drive to beat Servite just two years ago. They may still be the class of NorCal, but MD and Bosco have lapped them since 2016.

Congrats on the 2nd consecutive Golden State title. Old Money is still the gold standard. The nouveau riche watch on TV from Bellflower.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 pm

watchersince68 wrote:My Monarchs of the year Shaqkobe and Bru, really hate to see them go. Both were class acts!
Do you know why he drew the unsportsmanlike flag? In the NFL that's an instant ejection. Classy, for sure.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 pm

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:ya, the win over Bosco in the post-season had to be the biggest shock to everyone, as for DLS, I feel DLS beat themselves way more than MD beat them, DLS basically handed the game away to MD with those turnovers, you would think DLS would learn from their mistakes last year, MD is the last team you want to turn the ball over to..
Evan Bennett setup camp in the backfield along with several other d-lineman and linebackers. It's hard to run the veer when defenders are blowing up your play. give credit to the defense for causing several of those key turnovers

outsider

Post by outsider » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 pm

4,800 attendance?

The rise of these Pre-fab, Youth Football Graduate academies have sapped any interest from those not associated directly with those individual schools. The CIF did everything they could do to attact fans, free parking, Saturday night, In LA County. Next year they will have to give out Amazon Gift cards with a ticket purchase.

MD should be the National Champion, even with that on the line against a legendary program as De La Salle and they couldn't even match the attendance against Servite at the Bowl this year.

What does it matter when the only story of interest is why a MD 5 star player is sitting in the stands during the biggest game of the year.

It was fun while it lasted.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:12 pm

jb914 wrote: I saw our punter hit twice without calls.
They were flagged both times. Mater Dei declined both penalties.
jb914 wrote:
the spots were awful, like YARDS not feet
I didn't really see anything that bad. Maybe Young's long scramble, but it didn't really matter anyway... and the spot could have been good.
FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: the missed blatant personal foul on the punter,
See above.
FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: the phantom clip
That was a clip. And it didn't affect the play, so....?
FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: the phantom OPI
McCoy pushed off. They showed the replay several times. It wasn't blatant, but it wasn't a bad call by any means.
FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: At least they caught the dirty late hit by DLS on BY this time
Now there's your bad call. Young was not out of bounds when the hit was made. I'm all for protecting players, but if you're going out of bounds then go out of bounds... don't try and sneak in an extra yard. It was a clean play

That was the first time I've watched a game on Spectrum, and the camera work is amazing. They showed replays from multiple angles and caught just about everything, including Shakobe Harper spitting in the face of De La Salle's DE. These criticisms of the officials are completely unfounded. You're a bunch of homers watching the game in real time from a seat 300 feet away from the play, and it seems like you have quite a bit of trouble following what's going on during the game. Go watch the replay.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:45 am

well it has been since the end of last season, or maybe even before, but I guess now correct to say that MD and DLS are the most decorated programs in state history, I believe they are the only teams to have won a National Championship multiple times.