Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

cruiser

Re: Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Well, IMO; Alumbough seems a little arrogant when he talk about how they lost, never gives
outright credit to the other team but laments his team basically lost because DLS lost the
game for themselves and not the other team's having anything to do with it, other then that,
seems like an ok guy.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 pm

I don't think I'd say it's simple arrogance. The guy's got to be under a tremendous amount of pressure from alumni and boosters. His comments were likely a calculated attempt to pre-empt calls for his head...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:25 pm

I think calls for his head would be unjustified. He had an undefeated season until he ran up against a team that had him outmanned at almost every position. I'm not sure Vince Lombardi or Knute Rockne (or Bob Ladouceur) would have won that game.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:18 pm

I agree, but here's an example of the mindset I'm talking about...posted on the DLS board:

Losing is no fun, that is for sure, and now, especially us fans, get a taste of our own medicine which other fans have endured for years. Hopefully, Spartans can get back to their winning ways soon.

Tough crowd...they were only 12-1! :lol:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Credo ut intelligam

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 am

You sure that wasn't from the Bosco board after the last two CIF title fails?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:37 am

Zebra wrote:](*,) You'd be way wrong. What makes you think that. Most guys do all levels, some do youth still. I know a D2 official that does 7-8 year old flag football. Some are even D3 and JC officials. This is my 18 season and I've done JV/Frosh-Soph games every year. My lower level games outnumber my Varsity games by double. A lot of guys don't want to work 3-4 games a week but we are short officials for the lower levels, so we do. Besides, working a JV/Frosh-Soph game is just as important to the players (and myself) as working a Varsity game. I usually have a rookie with me and a 3-4 year "Varsity" guy in my lower level games. To many of the players, that is their only game, it's their "Game of the Week". They deserve the best game someone can give. Plus, watching snaps is not a bad thing. More snaps you see the better official you become and in those levels, every damn thing happens so you get used to looking at the unexpected. These are my own personal thoughts and others officials experiences may vary.
Yes, but if he was talking about girls sports, he was probably right.

I know from my small involvement in the football program that there would be some experienced referees working lower level games. In girls basketball, definitely not. I even fired one at the end of a quarter during a frosh-soph game because he was so unprofessional.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 am

Fordama wrote:Yes, but if he was talking about girls sports, he was probably right.

I know from my small involvement in the football program that there would be some experienced referees working lower level games. In girls basketball, definitely not. I even fired one at the end of a quarter during a frosh-soph game because he was so unprofessional.
:thumbsup:

Point taken. Must've been distracted by the title of the thread. I don't do BBall, way too fast for me and I don't know the game well enough. Too scary. At 5-3, I'd be looking up all day :lol: To me, the officials ultimate sin is to be unprofessional. It's one thing to blow a call, it's another to be just an a-hole to coaches, player and/or fans. Every profession, vocation and hobby has them, I know I did it once or twice when I was a puppy ref before I improved my people skills. #-o
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 am

[quote="Omar Bongo"]I agree, but here's an example of the mindset I'm talking about...posted on the DLS board:

Losing is no fun, that is for sure, and now, especially us fans, get a taste of our own medicine which other fans have endured for years. Hopefully, Spartans can get back to their winning ways soon.

Tough crowd...they were only 12-1!

Crowd what do you mean Crowd? Their lackluster interest in showing up for the game both in Cerritos and in of all places last year in Sacramento, their fanbase should be ashamed. Maybe it was all their years of winning that made them blase'.

eskimow

Post by eskimow » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

The mindset is that De Lasalle is forever talking about the only thing that matters is that State game. That is their most stated goal every year. When you hang you hat on that being the measure of a successful season then 0-3 lately is underachieving.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:58 pm

De La Salle has won 27 or 28 straight D-1 championships in the North Coast Section. What else is there to hang their hat on?

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:49 am

even though it's like comparing apples and oranges, different sports, De La Salle's dominance and consistency of winning the North Coast Section championship every year, is similar to MD's Boys Basketball program winning CIF-SS titles almost every year under Gary McKnight.

But ya, I believe it can be reasonably said that MD's football program, their journey to becoming a national powerhouse again to like how they were during the 90's, maybe even better, it all started after Rollo "blew up" the program following the 2011 season.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:19 am

De La Salle's dominance and consistency of winning the North Coast Section championship every year, is similar to MD's Boys Basketball program winning CIF-SS titles almost every year under Gary McKnight.
They really aren't that similar.

De La Salle has won 28 straight football championships in the North Coast Section, almost all of them in blow-out games, and they've done so largely because they have no competition. In the last 20 years, only two other North Coast teams have finished in the state top ten at the end of the season, and only seven in the top 15. When there's another good team in Northern California, it tends to be in the Sac-Joaquin Section, and therefore no threat to De La Salle's championship run.

From 1985 to 2006, Gary McKnight did indeed win 18 CIF championships in 22 years, but the basketball competition in the Southern Section is fierce, and most of those wins were close. Furthermore, McKnight has won only four championships in the last 12 years. If that happened at De La Salle, they'd burn the school down.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:13 pm

damn, the last 12 years, McKnight was won only 4 CIF section titles? that's mind-boggling compared to the previous success he had, kinda shocking to know when how crazily dominant MD Boys Basketball has always been under him, still, I believe he has the highest winning percentage of a H.S. Boys Basketball coach in the entire history of HS Boys Basketball in the U.S.A., but your welcome to correct me if i'm wrong.

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:56 pm

ramona has registered as the 851st member on the PG Varsity Board. This will be fun! :mrgreen:

templar83

Post by templar83 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:32 pm

MDDad wrote:QR_BBPOST Furthermore, McKnight has won only four championships in the last 12 years.
Not sure how you are defining championships, or where you got your information. MD basketball has won 6 CIF titles since 2005; 05,06,10,11,12,14 and 18. In addition, they've won 6 State championships over the same period; 07, 08, 11, 12, 13, and 14.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm

I define championships as CIF-SS titles in any division. 2007 through 2018 is 12 seasons. During that span they won four championships, in 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2018. I think you're mistaken when you say they also won in 2011, Long Beach Poly was 1AA champion that year.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Exocet 98 wrote:ramona has registered as the 851st member on the PG Varsity Board. This will be fun! :mrgreen:
Not sure what the big deal is with that board...Nothing but a bunch of cantankerous, bitter, salty know it alls...Doesn't this board have more members? LOL They act like representing hard on a message board is something to be proud of LOL

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 pm

That board is national, this board S.OC Trinity haves and have nots bitter in fighting. Dominated by a certain bongo lips, professer hate and pom pom red md dad. BORING. You ventured out of your small pond and your first 10 post were met with FUK OFF. Good Luck going forward !! :mrgreen:

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:57 pm

You act like I give a "FUK" what some rednecks from TX, FL & GA think LOL

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:49 pm

And yet you still connot help to keep replying ! Like a moth to the flame LOL !!. :mrgreen: