Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

Omar Bongo

Re: Mater Dei vs. De La Salle

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 am

joefutbol wrote:They were flagged both times. Mater Dei declined both penalties.
Mater Dei declined 2 roughing-the-punter penalties?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 am

No, two running into the kicker penalties. Both punts were fourth and long in their own territory and they got off good punts with no return. No reason to risk taking 5 yards an repunting.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:07 am

Makes sense, but I thought on at least one of them the DLS player pancaked the punter onto the ground...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:20 am

outsider wrote:The CIF did everything they could do to attact fans, free parking...
Parking was not free, it was $10.
...against a legendary program as De La Salle and they couldn't even match the attendance against Servite at the Bowl this year.
Attendance at the state bowl games has been in the crapper for over a decade. And yes, a high school game with an opponent from 400 miles away is going to have trouble matching the attendance of arguably the best rivalry game in Southern California.
What does it matter when the only story of interest is why a MD 5 star player is sitting in the stands during the biggest game of the year.
He wasn't sitting in the stands, he was on the field cheering for this teammates the entire game.

Other than those three things, good post.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Makes sense, but I thought on at least one of them the DLS player pancaked the punter onto the ground...
Not intentionally, I think. Still could have been called roughing, IMO, but it depends if it's his plant leg, if he's in the air, if he lands on the defender, etc... Beyond my knowledge. The first one was very, very little contact and it was well after the punt. Right call on that one.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Mater Dei declined 2 roughing-the-punter penalties?
I remember those plays and didn't see any flags thrown.

They called Bru for "pushing off" but, don't call DLS for reaching out and pulling Bru's jersey on what would have been a TD. --:--

I think after the "pushing off" call wasn't that when DLS blocked the punt? So, instead of MD in redzone now DLS has the short field. Huge momentum swing.

Plus joefutbol said he thought the field goal was good. don't know, didn't see the replay on it. I thought the DLS defender was all over bru's arms on the 3rd down play before the missed FG, but, that wasn't called.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. MD won in spite of the questionable calls.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm

1. Bru DID push off. Spectrum shows slow mo replays like 3 times after about every play, and from different angles. Clear as day. It wasn't hard, but it was hard enough.
2. No, the PI on the first drive should have been called. That one I'll give you.
3. Maybe you didn't get a couple calls, but there was a huge missed PI call on Mater Dei when DLS was driving late in the game.
4. You benefited bigly again from the personal foul late hit call on Bryce Young. He was still gaining yardage and WAS NOT out of bounds. His left foot was on the ground and about three feet in bounds when contact was made. Again, saw the slo mo replay several times.
5. You got to keep Shakobe Harper after the offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in the middle of the game. I don't know if the referee saw what he did, but he should have been ejected on the spot. If the referee didn't see it, I'm really curious why he was flagged at all.

All in all, I'd say it was pretty even in terms of the flags. If either team got the advantage, is wasn't DLS.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:25 pm

penalties.
DLS 2. 16 yards
MD 12 96 yards

According to MaxPreps

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:27 pm

BTW the hit on Bryce probably doesn’t get called if he just pushed him instead of going hard and high towards his head.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:32 pm

Are you suggesting that is abnormal for you guys this year? All I heard before every big game was "Mater Dei better clean up the penalties." Seems like business as usual, no?

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm

I don't think it's relevant what kind of contact it was. It's either late or it's not.

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm of the opinion that we got flagged more than usual this game...And yes, we have had problems in the past with stupid penalties...It is what it is...We're the top dog...Ce La Vie
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 pm

jb914 wrote:Plus joefutbol said he thought the field goal was good. don't know, didn't see the replay on it.
On the youtube clip the angle is bad but you can hear the crowd gasp when the refs signal "no good"
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Ramon wrote:I'm of the opinion that we got flagged more than usual this game...And yes, we have had problems in the past with stupid penalties...It is what it is...We're the top dog...Ce La Vie
Bishop Amat - 138
Bishop Gorman - 73
La Mirada - 184
St. Mary's - 97
IMG - 155
Servite - 137
Santa Margarita - 98
Bosco - 66
JSerra - 183
OLU - 98
Valencia - 75
Mission Viejo - 102
Corona Centennial - 199
Bosco - 53

Mater Dei averaged 118.42 penalty yards per game going into the game against DLS. They were more than 22 yards below their season average on Saturday night. So no, you did not get flagged more than usual. Assuming the box scores on Maxpreps are correct, the exact opposite occurred.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:34 pm

joefutbol wrote:Are you suggesting that is abnormal for you guys this year? All I heard before every big game was "Mater Dei better clean up the penalties." Seems like business as usual, no?
No, you said
by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:00 pm

All in all, I'd say it was pretty even in terms of the flags. If either team got the advantage, is wasn't DLS.
I'd say it was not even and the stats seem to agree.

Penalties
DLS 2
MD 12
by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm
I don't think it's relevant what kind of contact it was. It's either late or it's not.
Well, I guess we have to disagree. If the DLS player simply pushes Bryce with his hands out of bounds that penalty is not called. But, he went full on and hit him on his shoulders.

But, for argument's sake, let's assume you are right that Bryce held up to entice the DLS player to hit him hard and draw a penalty. How is that any different than trying to draw MD offsides on a 3rd or 4th and short? --:--

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 pm

jb914 wrote: I'd say it was not even and the stats seem to agree.

Penalties
DLS 2
MD 12
I'm talking about how much flags, or lack thereof, impacted the game. And just counting two penalties Mater Dei declined and offsetting unsportsmanlike flags, De La Salle was flagged at least five times. In the finals last year they registered one penalty. They've never been a team that draws penalties, and this Mater Dei team was the most penalized team I've ever seen. And that was the case the entire year.
jb914 wrote: But, for argument's sake, let's assume you are right that Bryce held up to entice the DLS player to hit him hard and draw a penalty. How is that any different than trying to draw MD offsides on a 3rd or 4th and short?
Because one is a penalty and one is not.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Here is your "late hit" penalty --

Still think that was the right call?

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Helmet to helmet?

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 pm

No.

jb914

Post by jb914 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:17 pm

I don't know Joefutbol, pic looks like helmet to helmet to me. Maybe he's lucky he didn't get ejected, after all the refs don't have replay in HS.

I said the refs sucked and you said they didn't, but, you are bitching about this call. I think you agree with me that the officiating was awful, but, maybe your not a fan of the winning team and that bias is clouding your judgment.

oh and Bama is going to curb stomp OU. :giggle: