Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

OutOfState

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by OutOfState » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:44 am

I never thought I’d see the day that we would have a thread that is now 9 pages long on Servite basketball. Are we really that desperate for football season to come again? Can we at least get another thread started to discuss Westminster badminton to keep us occupied until football starts.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am

only takes 3-4 well placed scholarships to compete in basketball. Once you have those guys, the talent you need to compete is "attracted"-provided you have the right coach.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm

How has this thread stayed alive?

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:58 pm

One small point that you all seem to overlook:

Servite finished the season rated #348 in the state. That means that there are 347 teams rated higher than Servite.

But, since there are 1469 boys' high school basketball teams in California, it follows that there are 1,121 of those teams that are rated below Servite.

Just sayin.'

Perhaps that relates to Tahoe's point, that maybe the school thinks the problem is the league they are in.

I suspect they could do better with a different Coach, but with Morris, they are not as bad as you guys like to say they are.

With regard to Morris' personality...I don't know him so I can't say.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

RPW

Post by RPW » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 pm

my bad..
Last edited by RPW on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am The Voice of Reason

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:01 pm

You have the scores reversed. Servite won that game.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

RPW

Post by RPW » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:15 pm

my bad.
I am The Voice of Reason

Dailydose

Post by Dailydose » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Heard Someone at Servite spoke with Deanthony Langston regarding bb coaching job. Can anyone confirm this? That would be a great hire and bring great talent.

TahoeCoachRCS

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:09 pm

Other than your thoughts that he could bring in talent what type of head coaching experience does DeAnthony Langston have? Guys like Tom Lewis and Joedy Gardner our great at bringing in talent, but neither had sustainable success in the league other than they were better than Servite. Derrick Taylor at Bosco brought in some of the best talent the league has scene, but was not a good fit. Please elaborate on why this would be a good choice.

Dailydose

Post by Dailydose » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:14 pm

I believe he was the coach at Verbum Dei during their golden years. Then was the AD at Verbum Dei. He has done big things with Compton Magic I think. He has great camps and has great Rolodex to great coaches. Sounds like he is well respected as a coach. One of the many things Morris is not. I’m trying to get confirmation if meeting took place.

TahoeCoachRCS

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:20 pm

I believe he played at Verbum Dei in the 80's then Long Beach State and has been running youth basketball events in SoCal. Guy has a solid reputation from what I remember. I don't recall Head Coaching Experience?

itsmyopinionx

Post by itsmyopinionx » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:37 pm

No idea what's going on with the coaching situation with Morris but found this tweet interesting.
IMG_2939.jpeg
I guess administration can't just sit back and say "Well we can't compete in the TL". This guy came in 6 years ago with an 0-10 league record and look what he's done. Morris has been at Servite 8 years and it's gotten worse each year.

TahoeCoachRCS

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:01 pm

I would like to be the first to congratulate Coach Morris on surviving another round of message board firing. It looks like the Friars may have a chance to get at least one win next year in the TL unless Santa Margarita loads up on a bunch of transfers.

Stugotz

Post by Stugotz » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:36 pm

The only positive, from a basketball standpoint, that occurred in the Servite gym this year is the success of the Rosary girls. They played two regional games in the Servite gym. A school of less than 400 has won two state championships in three years (D3 in '17 and D1 in '19). Further proof it can be done without a club coach and having a football player run your program.

itsmyopinionx

Post by itsmyopinionx » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:01 am

I wouldn't be so quick to say he survived. Last week were the accreditation meetings for the school. I don't think administration wanted to deal with firing a coach during that time. The president is aware of the problems and I think he's gotten a lot of feedback from various sources. I'm not giving up yet.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:49 pm

itsmyopinionx wrote: I guess administration can't just sit back and say "Well we can't compete in the TL". This guy came in 6 years ago with an 0-10 league record and look what he's done. Morris has been at Servite 8 years and it's gotten worse each year.
Except SM had talent and was competitive prior to going 16-16. I'm pretty sure they were the only team to beat MD in league up until very recently. Servite has maybe had two good teams in the last 30 years.

Bigbear

Post by Bigbear » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm

You brought up a valid point Joe. I see all these posts saying how Morris is ruining the program, when in reality, the program was never really that good to begin with. This goes back to well before my time at Servite.

itsmyopinionx

Post by itsmyopinionx » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:30 am

They've had talent through the years but Morris doesn't know how to develop players. He takes the tallest incoming freshman and immediately puts him on varsity without even knowing if he can dribble a basketball. I'm not saying they've had talent that could've beat MD but talent that could have competed. He can't build the program because he doesn't know how to develop a program or players. There have been over 40 plus kids that have quit basketball over the past few years. Some stayed at Servite and pursued other sports and some left to play basketball elsewhere. I've listed names in past posts who have had talent and could have help build the program. Even if you don't believe that, he still hasn't done anything to try and make it better except for scheduling more games against bad teams to pad the record. And he still hasn't made playoffs despite doing that. His reputation is well known and that's why serious basketball players aren't heading to Servite...including kids of alumni.