Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

daddyooo
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by daddyooo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:29 pm

you would think a Trinity League school with a decent location could attract players. The reason they don't go to Servite is the school's attitude towards basketball and the coach that has been in place for a long time.

You can win at Servite-given a positive administration and the right coaching hire.

itsmyopinionx
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by itsmyopinionx » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 pm

OutOfState, but he'll never get the Jims and the Joes because no one wants to play for him. He's lost so many good players over the years...players who had no chance of being successful because of HIM and his lack of coaching ability. I've watched many of the varsity games throughout his tenure and there were times they were close to winning but he doesn't know how to coach. It's not just the varsity either. The program is bad top to bottom and that's all on Morris. He has several freshman on varsity this year who are good, but they aren't superstars. Those kids should be playing on the freshman team and building up the program from the lower levels up. But, he never does that because he has minimal retention so he needs to pull up anyone he can just to make a semi decent team. He needs to go. It can't get any worse.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 8859
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:28 pm

TahoeCoachRCS wrote:It’s really strange to read the accounts and feelings the Servite faithful have about this coach.
You mean 2-3 disgruntled dads on a message board
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

TahoeCoachRCS
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Well, yes, a few posts on a message board, but it is not unrealistic to assume the majority of the Servite basketball and athletic community is unhappy with the performance of the program.

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 8859
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:31 pm

I think that's a safe assumption, but what I find interesting is that an unhappy FB community seems to have a much greater ability to instigate coaching changes than does an unhappy BB community
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

daddyooo
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by daddyooo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 pm

what is his record in the TL? 6-58 or something?

That says it all...

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4697
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:36 pm

OutOfState wrote: His record is not about the Xs and Os, it’s about the Jims and Joes. John Wooden wouldn’t win a Trinity game either at Servite.
Probably both Xs and Os, plus Jimmys and Joes.
TahoeCoachRCS wrote: it is not unrealistic to assume the majority of the Servite basketball and athletic community is unhappy with the performance of the program.
I am unhappy about the performance, but the only way to compete for a title in the Trinity League is to hire someone who will bring in star transfers from other high schools, and I, for one, would prefer what we have today, over selling out like that.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

TahoeCoachRCS
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 am

Professor Fate wrote: transfers
Curious as to what expertise you have to determine that Star Transfers is the only way to build a program? Any Trinity League school would be attractive to good basketball players if they have a coach that has a track record of success. With that type of coach in place, players will come - most importantly young players. Transfers are fine if they fit with the academic and culture mission of the school or is that not the case at Servite? I understand not taking Senior or even Junior transfers if arriving so late would not allow them to meet graduation requirements. I get your point about Star Transfers if you want a league title next year - a lot more mature talent would be needed. If the expectation is to be competitive next year and build for long term success, they are going to have to keep all of the good frosh and soph while adding another talented Frosh class and continue that progression. Adding a transfer or two that are a good fit for the school that are very good basketball players makes sense to this outsider. Last place basketball does not have to be accepted as a way of upholding the values of the school. If you want your student/athletes to reach their potential then leadership should be sought that will enable that potential to be reached. No disrespect intended to the current or past players/coaches that have busted their tails.

Dailydose
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Dailydose » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:01 am

If you enjoy losing leave with Morris. He should of been fired the day he promoted his good buddy also a sexual predator as head of basketball operations. Google Zack Reeder. Morris should not be allowed to coach anywhere. Show me a good loser, I’ll show you a loser

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:12 pm

I get the frustration with the basketball results at Servite. We are consistently outmanned in the TL and the coach has to bear some responsibility for that. There's no reason Servite shouldn't be able to attract good hoops talent. But it's not fair to hang Z. Reeder around Morris's neck. The guy's wife didn't even know what he was doing--how can anyone else be expected to figure that out?

Dailydose
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Dailydose » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Many people came forward regarding other behavior and language from Zack reeder to players. Many of them were racist comments . They went to Morris first then to Bowen. After all of it Morris made him head of basketball operations and the rest is history. Morris should not be coaching at any school at any level. He is a pathetic human with nothing to offer students or athletes. He is a bully, a narcissist and scum bag. Credo

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4697
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:50 pm

TahoeCoachRCS wrote: Curious as to what expertise you have to determine that Star Transfers is the only way to build a program?
First of all, I didn't say "to build a program." What I said was "to compete for a title in the Trinity League."

Secondly, I have NO expertise; I have what is known as an opinion, to which I am entitled.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

TahoeCoachRCS
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Professor Fate wrote: First of all, I didn't say "to build a program." What I said was "to compete for a title in the Trinity League."

Secondly, I have NO expertise; I have what is known as an opinion, to which I am entitled.
- I meant no disrespect and understand that the nature of the board is a sharing of opinions.Thank you for sharing yours.
My opinion is that Servite or any other Non MD Trinity school could have a league title caliber team brought about by the development of a great program run by a talented coach.

itsmyopinionx
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by itsmyopinionx » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:15 pm

I for one don't want to "sell our souls" to win Trinity League. I think I've said that before. I just want to compete. Play teams in league and outside of league and win some, lose some but compete. We aren't doing that and haven't in a long time. We have lost so many talented kids who have either transferred or just quit basketball because of Morris. So many people make excuses for him but the bottom line is, he's not getting the job done, it can't get any worse, no one wants to come to Servite to play basketball because of him. Get a new coach. If it's someone who looks promising, hopefully the program will build. This year he will probably make playoffs but not because he played a bunch of legit teams and won. As long as he's at Servite it will be more of the same....

User avatar
Professor Fate
Posts: 4697
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:11 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Okay, that is a well balanced post, It'smyopinion. I agree.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Dailydose
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by Dailydose » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Servite scored a solid 7 points in 3rd quarter. Yep 7 whole points. 18 total points in 2nd half and got beat by 25. Morris is now 6-65 Credo.

User avatar
ShaneFalco
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by ShaneFalco » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 am

Dailydose - why don't you man-up and schedule a meeting w/Morris and Clinton as this is obviously consuming every bit of your being. Sometimes a little face to face does wonders and then maybe, just maybe you can go on with your life.

MDDad
Posts: 12123
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by MDDad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 am

Thank you, Shane, you're absolutely right. If someone has that bad of an itch in their butt, you'd think at some point they'd scratch it, rather than just whine about it itching.

daddyooo
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by daddyooo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 am

I have no horse in the Servite derby-just can't understand how the administration can accept a major sports team performing that poorly in league for an extended period.

My HS on Long Island had a similar issue with the basketball team-coach was a total ahat, players wouldn't go there (or in one case the best prospect transferred to the arch-rival), the program was not in sync at all levels (hired a freshman coach who day job was driving a bus and ushering at Madison Square Garden)-and when a talented senior class went 1-9 in a tough league, the coach was finally fired and replaced by the very capable JV coach. Within 2 years they were in the CHSAA finals (with the assistance of 3 key D1 level transfers who were eligible only because their public HS wouldn't pass a budget-hence no team and immediate eligibility on transfer) and they beat the snot out of their arch rival twice (who 2 years earlier won what was the forerunner of the first NY state championship).

Moral of the story-it can be done....no reason for that level of mediocrity at a school that is competitive in every other sporting endeavor. It's embarassing to the school to have the program in that bad a condition.

itsmyopinionx
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Servite basketball or whatever you want to call it

Post by itsmyopinionx » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm

ShaneFalco, MDDad, I get the feeling Dailydose, has spoken to administration (from past posts) and it has fallen on deaf ears. I know I have spoken to them several times over the years as have many of the people that I know who had the same experience as us. It's always excuses...we can't compete in the Trinity League, we aren't a basketball school, this is the first time we've heard of this, etc. etc. Maybe it will be different with the new president but I think that Brennan and Bowen were protecting him for some reason and Clinton just cares about wrestling. Clinton was even quoted as saying "Gary McKnight thinks he's a good coach". :eh?: Of course McKnight thinks he's a good coach. Every MD senior night is scheduled when they play Servite so that he can play all his seniors and not have to worry about winning.

Post Reply