Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

scj60

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by scj60 »

cruiser wrote:The CDM schedule is good quality especially for the team they should have (barring injuries) for the
coming season, one question, why does the Palos Verdes game start at 3pm?
The PV Sea Kings field does not have lights and they play all their home games at 3 PM.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

aberamsey wrote: ...It's going to be a long season for the senior receiver.
The senior to be made a bigger splash last season running the ball, rather than receiving it. He carried 34 times for 521 yards ( 15.3yds/carry :shock:) and 7 TDs. He had 12 receptions for 125 yards and 2 TDs.

Against Servite, he carried the ball 3 times for 23 yards, and did not catch a pass.

Of course those stats may be more a reflection of Bakersfield's run heavy offense.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

scj60 wrote:The PV Sea Kings field does not have lights and they play all their home games at 3 PM.
Wow, interesting, that is a pretty high income area, I can't believe the school district there
can't afford to put lights on the FB field. (or, maybe they don't want to?)
Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man »

Lot's of teams have fields with no lights. Some have fields with lights. But most choose to play in stadiums at 7 PM. It is what the high school experience is about, Friday Night Lights. Day games do not generate the crowds nor the excitement. If you had to play one it would be understandable. Afternoon games are for the Freshmen and JV.
scj60

Post by scj60 »

I believe Peninsula HS (in the same district) has the same issue. Back in 2013 some parents sued to get lights put in but obviously that did not go anywhere. I don't think it is a matter of money but more that someone doesn't want the lights. Blocking their views or something? It's unfortunate the kids and parents get deprived of the Friday Night Lights experience. I can't imagine they get big crowds as people are still at work or fighting traffic, etc.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

It's a Sea King shared issue really, it's not that they can not afford it the areas refuse to support it. CDM again tried, got the money to build a new stadium on campus but the home owners fought it. I get it, it would likely depress home prices but then again I do not, those living or buying next to a high school know exactly what they should and will be subjected to.

YES! LIGHTS! NOISE! TRAFFIC! and FUN ~ (Friday Night Lights!)!
Last edited by SK80 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man »

But CDM plays at Harbor at 7 not CDM at 3. From what I understand CDM would not even play during the day in a makeup game for the league championship . I’m surprised they’re willing to play during the day when it doesn’t matter.
SK80

Post by SK80 »

:eh?: What "doesn't matter"?
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

SK80 wrote:It's a Sea King shared issue really, it's not that they can not afford it the areas refuse to support it. CDM again tried, got the money to build a new stadium on campus but the home owners fought it. I get it, it would likely depress home prices but then again I do not, those living or buying next to a high school know exactly what they should and will be subjected to.

YES! LIGHTS! NOISE! TRAFFIC! and FUN ~ (Friday Night Lights!)!

SK80, I sort of agree with you but the residences around CDM have been there a while and
yes,the HS has been there but never a campus FB stadium when those residences were built,
btw, some of those residences would be REALLY close to the FB stadium if one was finally
built on the campus, no?
Another problem would be parking, no?
SK80

Post by SK80 »

Yes, they have been there awhile just as much as the school has. Unlike those on D-Day the residents do not feel like making the "ultimate sacrifice". I'm not saying it is a tough issue with the logistics of the school within the neighborhood yet I have been to many a sports stadium on a high school campus with residential homes right across the street.

Here is an excerpt from the OCR in January with what concluded a 3 year debate and basically a battle.

"In a victory for the Eastbluff neighborhood in Newport Beach, a football stadium will not be constructed at Corona del Mar High, leaving it as the only school in Newport-Mesa Unified School District without a facility to play home football games on campus.

After years of letter-writing campaigns and community meetings, some of which reportedly ended in shouting matches, the school district sided with the residents when it announced its decision to choose Option B over Option A (a football stadium) in October 2017. Construction on Option B begins at the conclusion of the 2019 spring sports season, and includes two synthetic turf fields (one for football and track and field, another for lacrosse and soccer), a rubber track, sports lighting and spectator seating."

I find it ironic that the only school (football program) without a on campus faculty (stadium) or a "true" home field now simply dominates in that sport. =D> And yes they have Davidison Field to play on and a good field it now is with the district recent renovation however the school was able to remind spectators more so than ever that Davidson is "HOME OF THE SAILORS"

So after losing the fight to build their own, monies go to NH for their field and they etch in stone a massive banner with the above reminder, during the first game for CDM at Davidson as a home team the student body made a massive banner to hang over the Sailor quote, during the first quarter the powers that be over at NH had the banner removed.

Hey if the LA Clippers can cover during games the LA Laker banners and jerseys why can't CDM do the same! :thumbsup:
Mr. Grady

Post by Mr. Grady »

Ahhh, no. There's no grade inflation at Santa Margarita and there isn't a 6th period football PE which allows kids to focus on only 5 classes either. Kids flunk out every year - even good athletes that you regret seeing leave the program. Grade inflation wasn't there to save them, and grade inflation doesn't explain why SAT scores are higher today (about 1067) up about 50 points from 20 years ago and about 75 points from 35 years ago. HS students are just smarter and better prepared than ever before.

At SM the average weighted GPA is substantially higher in part due to most kids taking multiple IB/AP/Honors classes. Kids who cannot handle the rigors, or simply don't qualify for them, take few if any of those courses, but most kids will take at least a few honors classes in their careers. I've sent three football players through there and the final weighted GPA's and SAT's of each were pretty close to what their individual personalities, work ethic and IQs would suggest - a 2.9, a 3.4 and a 4.1. I wish there was grade inflation because I always felt the work they sometimes put in at midnight or 2 am should have been worth another 5/10 of a point.

For reference, nationally the average weighted GPA for a high school male is about 2.9 and about 3.1 for girls and for athletes it's about 2/10ths higher for each sex. Studies have shown that athletes tend to have slightly higher GPA's for a few reasons including a household focus on good nutrition, time management skills coached into them, lack of free time to screw around and because of the push by parents and coaches to have their athletes appeal to college recruiters. The average weighted football GPA for Pac-12 recruits (excluding the privates like Stanford and USC who don't report) is about 2.85. Of the public schools across the country Georgia Tech has the highest GPA for recruits at 3.39. It's believed privates like Stanford, Notre Dame, Rice and Vandy are each higher.
cruiser

Post by cruiser »

..regarding just grade inflation then,

Actually, since the late 60's or so there has been overall grade inflation (both public and private), I see your point that taking AP,etc.; classes and getting a good grade from many of those students makes the overall GPA of the entire school look impressive, but a 2.5 GPA student from the 40's, 50's, up to the late 60's or so, would be a 3.5 GPA student today with everything being equal - the grading ranges back
then were more restricted... (interesting topic, don't have the time to really get into this)

A lot of interesting studies on grade inflation in correlation to courses,tests like the SAT/ACT over the past
many years - just too long to get into at this point. On a side note - this topic should probably be on
another forum.
BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave »

Back on topic, any rumblings out there?
credofriar

Post by credofriar »

Yes. Jserra is buying half the narbonne team since they will be facing major punishment.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

JSerra? Or Narbonne?
OutOfState

Post by OutOfState »

Narbonne is potentially facing punishment. Here is link to 2 articles about this.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/05/31/ ... stigation/

cruiser

Post by cruiser »

Hmm, if your head FB coach is reassigned,especially if to a different school altogether,,not good,
who is currently running the program? - this could be nothing or big time huge regarding the FB
program - wondered why MD's Darion Green would want to transfer over to Narbonne for his
senior season.

(wondering if something shady has been going on at Narbonne for years and finally....)
SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball »

cruiser wrote: Hmm, if your head FB coach is reassigned,especially if to a different school altogether,,not good,
who is currently running the program? - this could be nothing or big time huge regarding the FB
program - wondered why MD's Darion Green would want to transfer over to Narbonne for his
senior season.

(wondering if something shady has been going on at Narbonne for years and finally....)
Oh there has been some shady stuff going on at Narbonne for a couple of years now and that's one of the reason they are being investigated. It will come to light in the coming weeks. Will be interesting as to what type of sanctions City Section will impose.
hocyouthguy

Post by hocyouthguy »

WR transfer to Santa Margarita from Bakersfield...

https://www.bakersfield.com/sports/bvar ... e15b9.html
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

You cant tell me all those transfers Narbonne was getting were all legit. They have so many, or had. You can bet the bus squad is out there pulling 5 stars in. JSERRA?? The trinity is about the QB and the trenches. See MD and Bosco.
If those guys can land one or two guys, or JSERRA? Are any of these kids a red flag if they land at your school?
Isnt Moscetti back at LM? Im sure he will try and land some? Could be good for the BOOTY!