Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

User avatar
watchersince68
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by watchersince68 »

I gotta agree once again with MDad. Especially if you lived through the dominant Loyola years, they were feared and tested. Similar to the Amat run of the early 70's. Haden and McKay, Sciarra, McDonald. St Paul wasn't bad either.
MDDad
Posts: 12150
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by MDDad »

Watcher, the difference between those three programs is longevity.

Bishop Amat made the title game in 69, 70 and 71, winning the last two. Then they had almost a 20 year gap before making it there again in 88, 92 and 94, winning in 92. Then they were gone.

St.Paul won the title in 68 and 72, made the finals in 77, and won again in 81. Then they too were done.

Loyola won two D-1 championships in the 1960's, one in the 1970's, one in the 1990's and two in the 2000's. When they didn't win one in the 1980's, they made the finals twice.

Amat, St. Paul and Bosco don't come close to matching that 50-year record of excellence.

I think maybe OldSunsetFan may really be a YoungBoscoFan.
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

Pre AAU football Bosco was a mediocre program. Jason Negro arrived and changed the dynamic of high school football forever. You look at the starting line ups for Bosco and MD now and they look nothing like they did 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago. They now look like the LB Poly teams of the 90’s. Loyola has not gone down that road. That is the only thing that has changed.
User avatar
watchersince68
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by watchersince68 »

MDad
My point was there were a lot of good programs with periods of dominance over the years.
However most programs will eventually have their down years. In another 20 years or so even MD might be like Servite is now, mediocre. Gotta get my digs in.
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

My buddy is a Servite guy who played for them back in the 80’s and he’s pissed that they seem to be following in the footsteps of Bosco and MD, nothing but non Catholic kids on the field. Football team bares no resemblance to the student body. AAU Football
User avatar
watchersince68
Posts: 1621
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by watchersince68 »

What a shocker!
User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9828
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Omar Bongo »

In another 20 years or so even MD might be like Servite is now, mediocre

The Friars are pretty f'n far from mediocre...per Maxpreps #39 in the US and #5 in CA


...Bosco and MD, nothing but non Catholic kids on the field

Complete BS of course, but what's new?


I think maybe OldSunsetFan may really be a YoungBoscoFan

I was thinking an OldFriarFan...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
MDDad
Posts: 12150
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by MDDad »

Domingo and his Servite friend conveniently forget that in Troy Thomas' first stint at the school, they brought in African-American and Polynesian players before Bosco ever set the trend -- players like Darryl Williams, D.J. Shoemate, Bijon Samoodi, Greg Portis, Kirifi Taula, Karlton Dennis, Malik Felton, Jordan Jones, Butch Pau'u and many others. The school's D-1 chmapionships in 2009 and 2010 were won on the backs of players like that.

I guess when all you want to do is push an agenda, the facts don't matter.
User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9828
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Omar Bongo »

MDDad wrote:The school's D-1 chmapionships in 2009 and 2010 were won on the backs of players like that.
Nitpicking, but per Wiki they won SS & State D-2 in '09 and the SS Open Div. in '10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... _champions

On the other hand, your point about Domingforno's hypocrisy is spot-on...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
joefutbol
Posts: 5421
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by joefutbol »

MDDad wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:09 pm in Troy Thomas' first stint at the school, they brought in African-American and Polynesian players before Bosco ever set the trend -- players like Darryl Williams, D.J. Shoemate
MDDad wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:09 pm I guess when all you want to do is push an agenda, the facts don't matter.
Facts like Darryl Williams played at Servite in the 90s when nobody knew Troy Thomas's name? Or facts like DJ Shoemate was already going to attend Servite when John Barnes was the coach? Facts like that?
MDDad
Posts: 12150
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by MDDad »

Joe, Darryl Williams was an all-county DB at Servite in 2002. My mistake, that was before Troy Thomas, but you were wrong in thinking it was the 1990's. And I can't believe you would invoke John Barnes' legendary three-hour tenure as Servite head coach as any kind of defense.
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

Very true MDDAD Servite did have great black and Samoan players when they won but from what I remember not more than any other school in the league at the time. Bosco and MD are now 90% black and Samoan on the field. Last season MD didn’t have a single white or Hispanic starter on offense!
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

From what I hear Servite is now doing the same thing with the OC Buckeyes.
User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9828
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Omar Bongo »

Bosco and MD are now 90% black and Samoan on the field

So now we can add racism to your prolific OCC resume...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

Pointing out facts is racist? You must be with Biden and Kamala. It’s idiots like you that make it difficult to call out racism when it’s really occurring.
joefutbol
Posts: 5421
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by joefutbol »

MDDad wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:37 pm Joe, Darryl Williams was an all-county DB at Servite in 2002. My mistake, that was before Troy Thomas, but you were wrong in thinking it was the 1990's.
Yes, he was. Which would mean he played his freshman season in 1999... at Servite. Last time I checked 1999 was part of the 1990's.
MDDad wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:37 pm And I can't believe you would invoke John Barnes' legendary three-hour tenure as Servite head coach as any kind of defense.
It was four hours. It was both a joke and to establish a timeline.

DJ Shoemate was already coming to Servite when Toner was the coach. Better?
joefutbol
Posts: 5421
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by joefutbol »

Domingo wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:47 pm It’s idiots like you that make it difficult to call out racism when it’s really occurring.
It's idiots like you who have no clue when it's really occurring.
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

What did I say that was “racist”. That certain teams have starting line ups that are 90% black and Samoan. Is that not a fact? Is stating that CDM is starting 90% white kids also “racist”?? Please advise
joefutbol
Posts: 5421
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by joefutbol »

That would a a complete waste of time for anyone. Hard pass.
Domingo
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Transfer News? It’s that time of year again!

Post by Domingo »

That’s what I thought.
Post Reply