Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

cruiser
Posts: 2980
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by cruiser » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Meyer after one season pulls the plug at Irvine University high and takes over as HC at
Lakewood high - UNI high administraion is apparently shocked per ocsportszone.

Hmm, interesting, no?

Check out the picture of him, man; he looks a little haggard to me. The Servite job
did a number on him - like I posted before, coaching a Trinity team is in another
universe compared to CDM (especially the league they played in before this year)

I just don't think he had a clue what he was getting into at Servite and the Trinity
league in general; anyway...

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:27 pm

If he was year-to-year how shocked can they be?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

SK80
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by SK80 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:07 pm

@Cruiser, he had a clue. Your insinuation he had "no clue" is a falsehood. Actually anyone half interested in OCHSF would know what they are up against when looking at MD or SJB. Come on dude.

There is definitely a different game being played at the privates level now and some coaches may be more prone now to the public way. My correlation or reference would be how some NCAA coaches just do not pan out or thrive in a NFL environment.

Anyway, Meyer is going back to an are in which he not only lives but coached in for over 13 years. By the way, the Northwood coach also stepped down today. seems these Irvine schools just don't have much as far as football goes. And in this environment its step up or get out. Unless D7-13 is of interest to you. Not sure where the PCL goes from here.
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9071
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 pm

So you're saying he knew what he was getting into but didn't know he wasn't "prone" to it?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 pm

I’m not mad at him leaving Uni ... maybe he just wanted to get back to coaching actual high school football.

I’m glad Uni has a program and that nice on-campus stadium they fought for, but I’m not sure they could beat the OC Buckeyes or IE Ducks in most years.

Just an extra curricular for the Turtle Rockers and UCI professors’ kids ... if they chose not to play tennis or be on the debate squad.

daddyooo
Posts: 315
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by daddyooo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:13 am

Problem at any of the Irvine Unified schools is that 25 kids are on the varsity football team, 400 in the band, and 1000 in the chess club.

hit the lights
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by hit the lights » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:21 am

The guy is a winner, and there is nowhere but up at Lakewood and the Moore league , where he once coached at LB Jordan. You have talent in the area. But, they are going to Poly, Narbonne, Serra, Bosco, etc...
Good luck. :lol:

SK80
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:08 am

daddyooo wrote:Problem at any of the Irvine Unified schools is that 25 kids are on the varsity football team, 400 in the band, and 1000 in the chess club.
ROFL
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:44 am

Scott Meyer is a good man and class act; how he was chewed up and spit out at Servite was a shame. There were some real bright spots and exciting games in his three years, as well as some ugly losses. He came within a whisker of taking down De La Salle in 2016; same with Mission Viejo in the first round of the 2017 playoffs.

He had the misfortune of entering the Trinity League at just the point when Bosco and Mater Dei were not only very strong, but were on the verge of moving into a whole new dimension (not the time to re-hash that whole issue).

Plus the transfer wars. He signed on to coach a team that had just lost both of the younger St. Brown brothers, and between January 2016 and January 2018 lost six 4-star kids: Terrell Bynum to Bosco (2016), Kyle Ford and Ethan Rae to OLU (2017), and Trent McDuffie, Spencer Lytle, and Titus Toller to Bosco (2018); plus slated 2018 starting QB Caden Bell to JSerra. I still wince when imagining what Servite could have done with those last six as seniors this past season. How much responsibility he bears for their leaving is hard to say. It seems clear, though, that the overall strength program declined during his tenure; that's on him. In any case, I had nothing but positive interaction with Coach Meyer and I wish him and his family the best.

At least now when Negro "poaches" his players, they won't need to bother getting on the 91 Fwy; they can just take the bus and go north on Bellflower Blvd.

Credo ut intelligam
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Credo ut intelligam » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:49 am

daddyooo wrote:Problem at any of the Irvine Unified schools is that 25 kids are on the varsity football team, 400 in the band, and 1000 in the chess club.
For a while back in the late 1980's Woodbridge had some pretty good basketball teams with Adam Keefe. But that now seems like a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

Bick
Posts: 5003
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Bick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 am

SK80 wrote: By the way, the Northwood coach also stepped down today. seems these Irvine schools just don't have much as far as football goes. And in this environment its step up or get out. Unless D7-13 is of interest to you. Not sure where the PCL goes from here.
Not much difference between the the level of competition in the Moore league and the PCL, except now he'll get to count on getting thumped by Poly each year by 40.

Sixth Man
Posts: 1294
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:16 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Sixth Man » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 am

I thought the Moore League was quite a bit better than the PCL. Maybe not...

Bick
Posts: 5003
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Bick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 am

OK...I exaggerated a bit

Woodbridge 4.6
Northwood -6.8
Beckman -13.6
Irvine -8
Portola -30.5
University -22.7

Compton 1.4
Millikan 23.7
Wilson 11.5
Lakewood 7.2
Jordan -18.2
Cabrillo -16.5

Sixth Man
Posts: 1294
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:16 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Sixth Man » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 am

Cabrillo and Jordan used to have some scary athletes. I guess things have changed.

SK80
Posts: 2413
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:14 am
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:23 pm

OH MY.... Now IRVINE HIGH SCHOOL Coach ERIK TERRY resigns..... :shock:
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

User avatar
TommyTrojan
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by TommyTrojan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 pm

And Northwood

FatherSonHolyHldbcks
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18 am

Bick wrote: OK...I exaggerated a bit

Woodbridge 4.6
Northwood -6.8
Beckman -13.6
Irvine -8
Portola -30.5
University -22.7

Compton 1.4
Millikan 23.7
Wilson 11.5
Lakewood 7.2
Jordan -18.2
Cabrillo -16.5
Yeah, maybe a bit LOL. You’re sort of missing a team from the Moore League ...

Bick
Posts: 5003
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by Bick » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 am

Pretty sure I said except for Poly.

SJBOSCO
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:58 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by SJBOSCO » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Credo ut intelligam wrote:Scott Meyer is a good man and class act; how he was chewed up and spit out at Servite was a shame. There were some real bright spots and exciting games in his three years, as well as some ugly losses. He came within a whisker of taking down De La Salle in 2016; same with Mission Viejo in the first round of the 2017 playoffs.

He had the misfortune of entering the Trinity League at just the point when Bosco and Mater Dei were not only very strong, but were on the verge of moving into a whole new dimension (not the time to re-hash that whole issue).

Plus the transfer wars. He signed on to coach a team that had just lost both of the younger St. Brown brothers, and between January 2016 and January 2018 lost six 4-star kids: Terrell Bynum to Bosco (2016), Kyle Ford and Ethan Rae to OLU (2017), and Trent McDuffie, Spencer Lytle, and Titus Toller to Bosco (2018); plus slated 2018 starting QB Caden Bell to JSerra. I still wince when imagining what Servite could have done with those last six as seniors this past season. How much responsibility he bears for their leaving is hard to say. It seems clear, though, that the overall strength program declined during his tenure; that's on him. In any case, I had nothing but positive interaction with Coach Meyer and I wish him and his family the best.

At least now when Negro "poaches" his players, they won't need to bother getting on the 91 Fwy; they can just take the bus and go north on Bellflower Blvd.
You will continue to lose players to MD and Bosco. Don't kid yourself. I bet you will lose a few before the next semester. You can blame your former president and now current coaches season college visit policy and love affair with the OC Buckeyes for the continued exodus.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks
Posts: 788
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Re: Scott Meyer leaves Uni high for Lakewood high

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:27 pm

SJBOSCO wrote: You will continue to lose players to MD and Bosco. Don't kid yourself. I bet you will lose a few before the next semester.
LOL damn, savage.

Post Reply