daddyooo

Fisher out at SM

Post by daddyooo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Fisher is out at SM per OC Register.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Chad Johnson to SMCHS?

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:01 pm

insidetrinity wrote: fisher out is official now... ocvarsity has story
I wonder if SMCHS would have the rocks to go after Chad Johnson at Mission?? He already lives in the area, is a south county native, knows the Eagles program historically and currently, obviously knows the league, currently recruits draws from the same pool of players while at MV.

Could make a lot more $$$ at SM, would have potentially unlimited resources. SM has already shown it can be competitive at the highest level under Welch and has boosters with enough capital to rival any school in California. That was in the pre-SJB/MD takeover era, but CJ co-authored that era with Negro. He knows EXACTLY what it would take (on and off the field) to beat the Braves and Monarchs.

Him at SM with free reign over roster construction and a captive pool of south county kids could create legit problems for MD/SJB, let alone JSerra and Harlow. His public school solidarity, opinions against private school dominance, and “refreshing to mankind” quotes could all get tested if SM reaches out.

#JustSaying

insidetrinity

Re: Chad Johnson to SMCHS?

Post by insidetrinity » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm

no idea if he is the plan but just saw hartigan say in oc varsity article that he wont be the next head coach. then again... saban insisted he wouldnt leave miami for bama

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 pm

If he stays at MV he'll retire from MV. SM would be three years and gone.

Am not convinced that they will play the player acquisition game the same way as SJB/MD/JSerra. Location is also a disadvantage.

The recent transfers saw the writing on the wall-and that's why they are gone.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm

daddyooo wrote: Am not convinced that they will play the player acquisition game the same way as SJB/MD/JSerra.
With Chad “You Play For Me You Go To College For Free” Johnson as HC?? Yes, they would.
daddyooo wrote: Location is also a disadvantage.
Only for LA/North County kids. And location is an ADVANTAGE for keeping the kids from the talented local Pop Warner programs in RSM/South County.

That area produces a lot of D1 talent. Even just in recent years, the list of kids out of SM, or from the RSM/Coto area, that went to major D1 schools is impressive.

KJ Costello, Austin Osborne, River Cracraft, Dane Crane, Johnny Stanton, Max Tuerk, Ryan Wolpin, Grant Calcaterra, Brett Neilon, Kyle Sweet, Austin Maihen, Rick Wade, Riley Sorensen, Connor O’Brien.

Shoot, even Olijah Griffin lived in Coto while he was at MV, played local pop warner ball. Could have certainly ended up at SM.

If the new coach keeps talent like that in RSM and brings in some key out of area kids like a Dylan Crawford or Malone Mataele or Jeremy McNichols or Keyshawn Johnson Jr, their roster would not be the problem.

#CJtoSM?

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:48 pm

620E0DE6-BA8C-4CD3-A756-069C919AE5AB.jpeg
#RefreshingToMankind #OneAndDone?

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm

daddyooo wrote: If he stays at MV he'll retire from MV.
Do not bet the house on that. Regardless of whether he stays at MV, I don’t see him coaching in HS for much longer. He has college aspirations and always has. He’s already been trying to leverage his Rosen connection to get his name out there.
daddyooo wrote: SM would be three years and gone.
I don’t disagree with that. Either he’d have success and leave or, if they get no closer to MD/SJB, they’d show him the door. Ask Rick Curtis and Fisher.

Professor Fate

Re: Fisher out at SM

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 pm

I think that's a mistake by Santa Margarita. He took over a team that had finished last, and led them to two straight 3rd place finishes in '16 and '17, in a league that contains MD and SJB. Then one weak season and he's out? --:--
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

SMCHSDominance

Post by SMCHSDominance » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 pm

SM doesn't want Chad Johnson. Chad Johnson wants SM to acknowledge him. Hartigan knows who can coach.

BoscoBandWagon

Post by BoscoBandWagon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:14 pm

They will go with somebody with old school sm ties. Definitely wont be chad johnson they know all about his antics.
Really doubt it will be Hartigan, because he doesnt need or want it. If he had a desire to get back into coaching it's his job.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:30 pm

SMCHSDominance wrote:SM doesn't want Chad Johnson. Chad Johnson wants SM to acknowledge him. Hartigan knows who can coach.
and who can coach...

aberamsey

Post by aberamsey » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:28 pm

I think that's a mistake by Santa Margarita. He took over a team that had finished last, and led them to two straight 3rd place finishes in '16 and '17, in a league that contains MD and SJB. Then one weak season and he's out?
I completely agree on this. SM was a very well coached team with a hell of a running game. The level of excitement around the program really seemed to be down. When JSerra played SM at Trabuco the small number of SM fans was shocking for that rivalry-- JSerra had significantly more supporters that night, on the road.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 pm

The writing was on the wall when the AD that hired Fisher retired and was replaced by Hartigan.

It's still a mistake. Problem is the fickle SM parent/alumni base who still think that MD is their big rival (and can't stand watching their real rival whup up on them). The kids at SM/JSerra today definitely know who their real rival is.

That kind of short-term thinking will doom them to perpetual mediocrity. And whoever they hire will have Hartigan/Sulick breathing down his back, making his tenure rather short.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:11 pm

I think the problem is sm doesn’t know what they want from their football program. Do they want to play the transfer game and try to recruit the best players to sm. If that’s their goal then getting rid of fisher makes sense because he clearly wasn’t doing that. But if they don’t want to do that then I don’t know why they fired him. He was a good coach but he didn’t bring in players the way other schools are doing. So maybe this means sulick and Hartigan decided it was important to get the best players and try to win but I’m not really sure

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:33 pm

insidetrinity wrote: If that’s their goal then getting rid of fisher makes sense because he clearly wasn’t doing that. But if they don’t want to do that then I don’t know why they fired him. He was a good coach but he didn’t bring in players the way other schools are doing.
Was at SM/MD hoops game tonight; some of what I heard on the situation with the Eagles football program:

Fisher knows football and schemes but had no interest in championship-level roster building, no understanding of or connections to the local youth football and football training community (unlike the deep roots MD/Bosco/JSerra have), and had no interest in doing much beyond coaching football on campus at SM.

That’s who he is and more power to him for it, it’s certainly understandable, but he was never going to last in an environment as thirsty as the one surrounding SM Football. Shoot, most coaches wouldn’t, especially not when they are making well north of $200K annually.

SM has to have a coach who can leverage its local talent base (discussed above) but also push beyond its basic boundaries to get the additional talent necessary to compete with the Big Two. Without that, all the coaching acumen and program building wasn’t going to matter. Leadership at SM knows that. They obviously didn’t think Fisher was ever going to be that guy.

Hartigan isn’t naïve and isn’t above doing what it takes to win in the current climate, even if that means changing the paradigm there and giving his new coach the go ahead to use SM’s vast resources and implement a similar program to that of their rivals.

Again, there’s certainly one local coach who understands what’s necessary to win in the TL today. He co-wrote the script of Trinity League Star Wars. And he’s right down the street.

#ChadToSM? #BigEagleBigEgo

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 pm

FatherSonHolyHldbcks wrote: Was at SM/MD hoops game tonight
Did not see CJ there BTW. Did not see Hartigan either. Just saying :-$ :lol:
SMCHSDominance wrote: SM doesn't want Chad Johnson. Chad Johnson wants SM to acknowledge him. Hartigan knows who can coach.
insidetrinity wrote:and who can coach...
Indeed, do tell; if Hartigan has a list and one of the most obvious candidates living right down the road ISN’T on it, who is?

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 am

Santa Margarita should have kept Fisher. Santa Margarita, Servite, Orange Lutheran, Loyola, Bishop Amat, and one other team would make up a good league. They ought to petition the CIF, or do whatever it takes to divorce from the all-star teams.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:24 am

[quote="FatherSonHolyHldbcks"]Was at SM/MD hoops game tonight; some of what I heard on the situation with the Eagles football program:

..not to get off track, what happen with SM on the court, they have four D1 scholees, I believe;
and got schooled by an MD team that starts three sophs and two jrs...
SM hasn't beaten MD in fifteen! years. They still keep the SMHC around for some reason.

SK80

Re: Fisher out at SM

Post by SK80 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 am

daddyooo wrote:Fisher is out at SM per OC Register.
Should this have not been the thread headline --:--

As pointed out by many, it really is summed up by the old adage "if you can't beat 'em, (YOU BETTER) join 'em"... #-o
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:43 am

With a new coach at Loyola, one who comes from the Grady style of football, will bring Loyola back into the ring.
If Johnson Leaves for SM, what will become of MV? Will Masceraneas stick around? That kid is the next big thing out of MV.