CIF-SS committee will look at potential changes to transfer rules 2019

Bick

Re: CIF-SS committee will look at potential changes to transfer rules 2019

Post by Bick » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

Credo ut intelligam wrote: My rule would be this: if you play varsity for any school and then want to transfer...you sit out a year. Period. No exceptions. That would put an end to the upperclassmen transfer game altogether.
Don't agree with this solution as it punishes the kid pretty severely. If you made transfers ineligible for the playoffs in the year of transfer, I think you get a lot closer to an equitable solution that doesn't require a committee, follow-up on residency, etc.

The school accepting the transfer would likely be less inclined to pursue kids by proxy, knowing they couldn't use them come playoff time. The player would still be able to pursue his educational dreams at the new school, as well as being allowed to participate in the 10 game regular season.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 am

"....*his educational dreams".... can I have a "HALLELUJAH"!

* pc police would say add "her" to your take!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:54 pm

I like it Bick. It is an improvement on the current sitting out the start of the season. You could transfer to a school that is unlikely to make the playoffs and not miss a game, you could transfer to a high profile team and play the season but not the playoffs; creating a dilemma for the coaching staff about how much time they play the player given that he won't be there in the playoffs.

As always I feel for the kid with the legitimate move for family reasons who would get punished by the rules designed to stop the others abusing the system.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:59 pm

I like it too, Bick.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:03 pm

TommyTrojan wrote:As always I feel for the kid with the legitimate move for family reasons who would get punished by the rules designed to stop the others abusing the system.
isn't this the way we have allowed things to progress where just a few ruin it for the rest. --:--
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm

TommyTrojan wrote:As always I feel for the kid with the legitimate move for family reasons who would get punished by the rules designed to stop the others abusing the system.
What exactly are they abusing? Are students not allowed to transfer for academic reasons?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:44 am

TommyTrojan wrote: True the folks who are currently cheating are likely to try to find ways to continue to cheat, but it might be nice for a standard form with specific items that have to be documented would be nice.
1. Please provide phone records showing that you have not had any communcations with representatives from the Trinity League/Oaks Christian/Narbonne/Mission Viejo/Centennial/Calabasas.

2. Provide access to your Twitter account showing all follows, DMs, pictures and posts connecting you to “friends” at local “transfer academies.” [See definition in accompanying insert, “CIF - Let’s Try This Plan 2019”]

3. Please submit report from a reputable recruiting site showing you are not a 4 or 5-star recruit.

4. Submit your 40 time and/or vertical jump (vert only for basketball student-athletes). Note: if 40 time is sub-4.5 or vertical jump is 40”+, your transfer will be immediately denied.

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 am

Bick wrote: The school accepting the transfer would likely be less inclined to pursue kids by proxy, knowing they couldn't use them come playoff time. The player would still be able to pursue his educational dreams at the new school, as well as being allowed to participate in the 10 game regular season.
That won’t solve it. That’s just an exaggerated filtering down of the new move to skip college bowl games to the high school level, except they’d be FORCED to miss the postseason.

College prospects who transfer to a high profile HS would just play the regular season and then enroll in college as early as possible. Would just reinforce the “me” concept.

Bick

Post by Bick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:28 am

I don't know if there really is a "solve" for the "me" concept. I wasn't going after the choices an individual makes, or trying to make them a "team first" guy. That's way past my pay grade.

I was going after the advantages gained by schools pursuing the best athletes currently enrolled at other schools. Not allowing transfers to play in the playoffs the first year puts a big dent in that advantage.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary quote removed

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:20 pm

Fair point on some parent player mindsets, and I just don’t think this would help at all. This won’t happen so it’s hypothetical anyway. But if your “solve” is limiting schools as opposed to individuals, a proposal based on restricting individual players for the playoffs seems ineffective.

“Reducing advantages” of certain schools is also past the pay grade of everyone here, and CIF. Especially if they are making an attempt at it by arbitrarily determining the “best athletes” and holding only THEM out. Do certain school’s transfers get to play in the playoffs if they’re not very good?
Last edited by John Q. Public on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 pm

It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'good' is... :eh?:

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:37 pm

See numbers 3 and 4 above and add “best athletes from other schools.”
Last edited by John Q. Public on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 am

some news rolling in from day 2 at CIF meeting......., could probably come up with many contributing factors to this statistic.....
TixSSCIF.png

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:52 pm

I’d go with “harder for visitors to get to games” as one answer. As much as I like elements of the new playoff structure, games now involve teams traveling much further than they used to. Divisions used to have some regionality to them. Less likely to get fans from say, Orange, to travel to San Luis Obispo on a Friday evening.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:16 pm

if played early round playoff games involving distant teams on Saturday night the attendance figures would rise.

aberamsey

Post by aberamsey » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:29 pm

If you look at the sheer number of games, 15 divisions, 15 games per playoff, the total number of fewer fans per game is about one-hundred. Plus, Bosco and Mater Dei both played three of their four playoff games on the road with Mater Dei traveling all the way to Valencia in the opening week. That game alone, if played at the Bowl, probably decreases this number by a few thousand. It would be nice to see them get smarter and maybe find first round match ups that can draw some big crowds. Perfect example is why not have JSerra play San Clemente in the opening round this year? That would have drawn a huge crowd versus just having JSerra head to Long Beach for the second year in a row.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 pm

CIFSS is too big, all the schools north of the LA county line need to form their own section.

outsider

Post by outsider » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:48 pm

I know its hard to believe for some on this board, but maybe people don't care as much anymore for high school football. If you can only get 4,800 people for the MD/ DLS championship, I think it tells quite a bit that the prefab teams have made the average fan lose interest.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:56 am

cruiser wrote:CIFSS is too big, all the schools north of the LA county line need to form their own section.
I'm sure its about the cost but far distant travel games should have neutral sites. Ones in-between excruciating drives on a Friday night in southland traffic that is a known factor. The last two CIF Championship games CIF had CDM traveling as the #1 seed to Sierra Canyon in CHATSWORTH 2016 and all the way to CAMARILLO in 2018 to face Grace Brethren. In fact the semi-final game against Camarillo was in CAMARILLO as well! Insanity!

Keep games closer to home. The "Battle of the Bay" sells out OCC's LaBard Stadium capacity 7,600. Locale matters.

TommyTrojan

Post by TommyTrojan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:07 am

Neutral sites other than a championship game would draw worse than the current system. Keep in mind most games being played are not D1 matchups. Its Yucaipa vs Segerstrom. Its Laguna Beach going to the central coast. Neutral site games are a pain to secure and would be a terrible draw. Battle of the Bay sells out because of the nature of the rivalry, and is not really indicative of how well a neutral site works.
I like playing teams from outside the area. Its fun to travel a bit and go up against an unfamiliar foe. I do miss how most of the divisions were done regionally though. Our division used to be all Orange County plus the Suburban League.

(not that any of this has to do with transfers)