bosco beats mater dei in basketball

daddyooo

Re: bosco beats mater dei in basketball

Postby daddyooo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:24 pm

NFHS Network has the Mater Dei/Camarillo game on demand...

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 pm

watched the 2nd half-MD was doubling and tripling Jaquez (going to UCLA) daring the rest of the team to beat them. MD up by 18 with 4 minutes left in the 3rd, when the barrage of 3's from the rest of the team started. Towards the end Jaquez took over (made 2 straight 3's when MD was playing him straight up.

All I can say is "wow"....

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 pm

BoscoBrave wrote:Oh it was probably the refs fault again. The gym probably had too many football and baseball players yelling racial slurs that caused them to lose concentration.

Dude, get over it, it's just a football game(s)
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 pm

daddyooo wrote:MD up by 18 with 4 minutes left in the 3rd, when the barrage of 3's from the rest of the team started

18 point lead? Sounds like they went cold and/or turned it over repeatedly as well...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Stugotz

Postby Stugotz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:13 am

MDDad, When was the last time McKnight lost back-to-back games? For the life of me, I can't remember the last time it happened.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:54 am

Last year...twice
George Will

Donald Trump

daddyooo

Postby daddyooo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:22 am

Omar Bongo wrote:18 point lead? Sounds like they went cold and/or turned it over repeatedly as well...

Not really. MD was up 10 as late as 4 minutes left in the game. There were a few turnovers-but the result was mostly due to the other players on Camarillo making shots and forcing MD to play Jaquez straight up-

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 am

Geez, again, this is one of MD's youngest teams, I'm betting overall they are doing much better than
McKnight thought they would be doing at this point, if they become co- league champions this season,than I
think overall it's a good job for the players and staff - this was the year of all years that league teams
(other than Servite) had the chance of finally dethroning MD from a league championship (and MD still
has to play a good OLU team)

...If MD even makes it to the open playoff semis, I'm betting McKnight will be ok with it.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

since 2006, the Monarchs have won only 4 CIF titles in Boys Basketball, before that, they would win CIF almost every year, but they are still doing pretty decent when it comes to winning state.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am

I think they have the most state titles of any team?

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Postby FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 am

cruiser wrote:Source of the post Geez, again, this is one of MD's youngest teams, I'm betting overall they are doing much better than McKnight thought they would be doing at this point

cruiser wrote:Source of the post If MD even makes it to the open playoff semis, I'm betting McKnight will be ok with it.

LOL they are 22-3, the sky has not not fallen on top of Big Gary. Let’s see how they do in a couple of tough matchups next week at the Nike Extravaganza against Rolling Hills and Harvard Westlake.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:05 am

Agree

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:11 am

Maybe they read too much of their accolades after their impressive performance against Santa Margarita. They go out after that and lose to two teams that are arguably not as good as Santa Margarita. Blowing a large second half lead should serve as a painful lesson to a young team.

FTK51

Postby FTK51 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 pm

I would bet that this team isn't actually one of his "youngest". Maybe the most underclassmen starters compared to years past, but certainly not the youngest.

If you compare the ages of the current generation of many "elite" players, they are 12 to 18 months older than their counterparts from just 10 years ago. Add in the amount of training, games and camps most of these kids have gone to thus far, and you can't really say they're inexperienced either.

Mater Dei's Jr sharpshooter Ryan Evans is older than Camarillo star Jaime Jaquez is. Jaquez is still 17 for another month. Evans has been 18 for a month. Most of Mater Dei's Sophs are already 17, or pretty darn close to it.

This isn't McKnights fault, its just the nature of the current beast that is HS sports, especially at the "recruiting schools".

This isn't the kids' fault either, they just did what their parents told them to do. However, it always made me laugh when folks made a big deal about how mature Freedman was as a sophomore, when he turned 18 less than 2 week after completing 10th grade english.

BoscoBrave

Postby BoscoBrave » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm

OutOfState wrote:They go out after that and lose to two teams that are arguably not as good as Santa Margarita.

BOSCO beat SM in case you didn’t know.

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:36 pm

My bad I stand corrected. I haven’t been following hoops closely. For some reason I though Bosco lost. Either way, I still stand by my sentiment that MD was feeling good about themselves after impressively beating SM and then were given a dose of reality the least two games.

BoscoBrave

Postby BoscoBrave » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Strong possibility

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Postby FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:50 pm

OutOfState wrote:Source of the post Either way, I still stand by my sentiment that MD was feeling good about themselves after impressively beating SM and then were given a dose of reality the least two games.

Or it could just be HS basketball, where the best teams play upwards of THIRTY FIVE games in a season and ANY team can take an L on any given night, especially on the road and/or against another well coached team. --:--

Camarillo is 20-3 BTW
Bosco is 19-5 overall and tied for the TL lead

These were not scrub teams LOL

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Postby FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:36 pm

FTK51 wrote:Source of the post Evans has been 18 for a month. Most of Mater Dei's Sophs are already 17, or pretty darn close to it.

FTK51 wrote:Source of the post However, it always made me laugh when folks made a big deal about how mature Freedman was as a sophomore, when he turned 18 less than 2 week after completing 10th grade english.

ROFL As someone who enjoys keeping track of this, NONE of the ages alleged above are correct.

Although, these days, anyone could take pretty much any Trinity League or private school roster, pick some names, and allege the Sophs are 18, the Jrs are 20, and the Seniors are 25 :lol: Heard in the stands of every game in nearly every sport, boys and girls

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:56 pm

People need to relax. After losing back-to-back twice last year they still went on to win CIF, although this year it looks like Sierra Canyon in a walk.
George Will

Donald Trump

Return to “High School”