basketball state playoffs

KuppRunneth

Re: basketball state playoffs

Post by KuppRunneth » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Ahhh, Renaldo Sydney. I remember that disaster. Where did he go? South Carolina? Miss State? I remember him getting into a fight with a teammate in the stands and that seemed to be the last i heard of him.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:50 pm

even though MD won a CIF section title barely last year, they don't seem to win CIF section titles as consistently as they used to, they have won 4 since 2006 I believe, before that, they would win CIF section titles almost every year.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:25 am

@Kupp, yup.... remember and lived it! Couldn't get in the gym when that kid was playing..... his dad and family pulling up in fancy cars with a huge posse before games....
85762443.jpg
In 2006 Sidney moved from Mississippi to LA to further his basketball career. Now he is moving back to play his college ball.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/spor ... layer.html

USC’s men’s basketball program has had the NCAA looking its way since the unusual recruitment of O.J. Mayo landed the star guard on the team two seasons ago.

Apparently they had concerns about more NCAA attention — and so did UCLA — which is why both schools pulled scholarship offers from Fairfax star Renardo Sidney, one of the nation’s top players, who will now suit up for Mississippi State.

Bruins and Trojans sources both say they were wary of potentially intense NCAA scrutiny prompted by these issues: Despite what was perceived as a limited income, the family moved multiple times and resided in upscale homes during Sidney's high school years; and stepfather Renardo Sr. directed a club basketball team with financial backing that was unclear beyond a relatively modest shoe company sponsorship.

Plus there was this: A source intimately familiar with Sidney's recruitment said a university official thought the stepfather had strongly hinted that he expected to be compensated if his son signed with the school.

Welcome to the slimy world of recruiting. While many colleges — rightfully — get blasted for over-the-top steps used to induce a player to attend their school, there is a flip side to that. The number of greedy parents trying to piggyback their star child is frighteningly high.

The Sidney’s moved from Mississippi to LA in a move everyone knew was orchestrated by a shoe company. Two months ago Sidney when made a verbal commitment to attend USC the ceremony included maybe catered food for maybe 100 family members and friends of the stud basketball center. And the list of red flags goes on and on.

Now Sidney is off to play in the SEC, where offering money to a recruit is called “a normal Tuesday.”
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:00 pm

I do remember someone posted, saying that Crenshaw is the only other high school in California, in which their Boys Basketball history, has a rich history similar to MD Boys Basketball under Gary McKnight, I've already known for a while now that MD under Gary McKnight is the most decorated program in State History, 23 CIF Section Titles and 11 State Titles, Crenshaw has won 18 City Section Titles and 8 State Titles, is there a website that shows the list of all the schools in California for how much CIF titles and state titles each sport has per school?

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 pm

also, Gary McKnight has been nominated but he hasn't gotten in to the Naismith Hall of Fame yet, I believe he has been nominated more than once, other high school legendary coaches that are already in are Bob Hurley and Morgan Wootten, also, Willie West of Crenshaw, back when Crenshaw was a Beast, has been nominated as well.

BuckW

Post by BuckW » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm

The Sierra Canyon Basketball program has mastered the Bruce Rollinson plan on how to build a CIF Champion. They brought in two more 5 star transfers this week.

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am

BuckW wrote: The Sierra Canyon Basketball program has mastered the Bruce Rollinson plan on how to build a CIF Champion. They brought in two more 5 star transfers this week.
Sierra Canyon has taken it to another level from Bosco and MD football. It’s a good thing the CIF has had meetings about transferring.

hocyouthguy

Post by hocyouthguy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 am

SK80 wrote:@Kupp, yup.... remember and lived it! Couldn't get in the gym when that kid was playing..... his dad and family pulling up in fancy cars with a huge posse before games....

85762443.jpgIn 2006 Sidney moved from Mississippi to LA to further his basketball career. Now he is moving back to play his college ball.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/spor ... layer.html

USC’s men’s basketball program has had the NCAA looking its way since the unusual recruitment of O.J. Mayo landed the star guard on the team two seasons ago.

Apparently they had concerns about more NCAA attention — and so did UCLA — which is why both schools pulled scholarship offers from Fairfax star Renardo Sidney, one of the nation’s top players, who will now suit up for Mississippi State.

Bruins and Trojans sources both say they were wary of potentially intense NCAA scrutiny prompted by these issues: Despite what was perceived as a limited income, the family moved multiple times and resided in upscale homes during Sidney's high school years; and stepfather Renardo Sr. directed a club basketball team with financial backing that was unclear beyond a relatively modest shoe company sponsorship.

Plus there was this: A source intimately familiar with Sidney's recruitment said a university official thought the stepfather had strongly hinted that he expected to be compensated if his son signed with the school.

Welcome to the slimy world of recruiting. While many colleges — rightfully — get blasted for over-the-top steps used to induce a player to attend their school, there is a flip side to that. The number of greedy parents trying to piggyback their star child is frighteningly high.

The Sidney’s moved from Mississippi to LA in a move everyone knew was orchestrated by a shoe company. Two months ago Sidney when made a verbal commitment to attend USC the ceremony included maybe catered food for maybe 100 family members and friends of the stud basketball center. And the list of red flags goes on and on.

Now Sidney is off to play in the SEC, where offering money to a recruit is called “a normal Tuesday.”
And you know what's crazy? While Sidney was everyone's focus on that Artesia team (remember watching them in person absolutely dismantle O'Dowd at ARCO), there was this other guy. What was his name? James Harden or something?

hocyouthguy

Post by hocyouthguy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:28 am

SK80 wrote:Sorry dude lived there for 20 years, you are way off base with your assessment of others. What exactly is a "real estate" grab? Are you against home ownership, let me say occupied homeownership? Are you really going to tell and teach me about my neighborhood of 20 years? Get over yourself.

Claims? Do we need to claim anything? No need the wonderful world of the internet can tell you almost anything you need to know like lets see, Fairfax players proudly present where they live so according to you even the student-players a laying out false claims. Carson, Culver City, Inglewood and so on.... So you better call your real friends whom really live in the Fax-Hood and ask them again! :lol:

EAFF.png

KDFF.png

RMIII.png

LOL, Dinwiddie still has Culver City HS on his twitter! #TRANSFER !

This is Fairfax basketball, a great program with great coaches (Kitani my all-time fave) that attracts kids (best players) from all over LA City. It's allowed, no harm no foul if it's in the rules but claiming these kids live in the neighborhood or area is preposterous.

Google Renaldo Sydney maybe the most sought after guy and similar to Zion Williams...., it was a huge recruiting war to get him to leave Artesia High School. Fairfax won. Sydney unfortunately succumbed to the antics of his parents similar to the Ball kids.
Glad to see you shut that fool up. What I'd like to ask him is, why did The Shaw absolutely DOMINATE the CA D1 state finals from the 80s until 1997 (their last state title, beating DLS) and then it's like someone flipped a switch and Chester picked right up where Shaw left off in '98, winning the state title over St Joe's? And it wasn't cuz Coach West left after the '97 season, cuz he didn't. Kids headed west to Chester. Plain and simple.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:42 am

hocyouthguy wrote:And you know what's crazy? While Sidney was everyone's focus on that Artesia team (remember watching them in person absolutely dismantle O'Dowd at ARCO), there was this other guy. What was his name? James Harden or something?
I have fun telling people how I saw Harden play in high school-and that he wasn't even "the man" on his high school team.

Moosington

Post by Moosington » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:59 am

It became clear that Harden was the best player on that team, but yeah, I remember when all the talk was about Malik Storey, initially.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:08 pm

many of the key or star players for MD under McKnight, have been transfers.