Santa Ana (MD 4-vert)

Sweetness34

Re: Santa Ana (MD 4-vert)

Post by Sweetness34 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:23 pm

No doubt Servite's up and coming group will make some noise, but I have to wonder how great/legitimate the competition was for the high school division of 4 Vert. I know MD didn't have a team and I know a lot of the hi-profile kids didn't play 4 Vert.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:11 am

Where are all the great passing league kids playing?

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 am

They play wherever they get the best pitch from an "elite" (or substitute your favorite adjective) 7 on 7 coach, where they will likely be schooled in the art of trash talk and and over-celebrating/taunting. We know there is very little loyalty among high profile players in our area. Nice to see that Servite had their guys sticking together like many of the public schools.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 am

Well said Mr. Drake.
Unlike aquatics, soccer and VB, “Club” football coaches are club coaches for a reason. Along with the trash Drake references, they teach very poor technique (like press corners tackling rec’s off the line) and play a non-football brand of passing league BS where they drop 8 when they can get away with it and line up LB’s at 15yds on 3rd and long. Not football. Not proper player development. No team building.

Sixth Man

Post by Sixth Man » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Dropping 8 is a common strategy at all levels of football now. Most passing leagues only allow 7 players on the field. Anything else is bogus. The use of the single back up the middle and empty formations gives offense a huge advantage. Most teams blitz empty and make the offense get rid of the ball quick. You can’t do that in Passing league. The whole thing could go away and most coaches would be happy and have a better quality of life and actually get to spend time with their families.

TomDrake

Post by TomDrake » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:43 pm

The players too! Maybe they'd be more likely to pick up a basketball, baseball, tennis racquet, etc.
Playing other sports and getting away from 7 on 7 would make them better football players in the fall in my humble opinion.

Al Koholik

Post by Al Koholik » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Indeed Mr Drake. As well, maybe take a family vacation or hang out with friends on the beach not worried your commitment will be questioned or made to believe your future lies in the balance.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:56 am

I agree Al.
Fake coverages, cheating , not honoring the run first step, then take drops, but yes, the DB coverage is a joke, with the holding and tackling of WR at LOS. Real dawgs dont need to do all that. Footwork, techinique, speed, strength, that gets it done. Oh yeah, and a high football IQ. I think all this 7 on 7 is over kill, and teams need to get back to the things they are actually going to do in a game. You see good offenses, QB'S are getting rid of it, 2.5-3 seconds, timing, good reads and footwork, balls out! Protection, good routes by good physical receivers, but it all starts with the big boys up front! Both sides of the ball! 7 on 7 is cool , but pressure makes alot of things happen differently, and you dont get that
in 7 on 7.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:05 am

The trenches are often were games are won, true. But 7 v 7 with the best abs on cover with the best receivers is as pure gamesmanship as I have seen, love it. And you can not say it does not help with timing, reads, running and covering routes..... watch my eyes!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo