[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
MD LOSES MVP - Page 3 - Orange County Forums

MD LOSES MVP

Al Koholik

Re: MD LOSES MVP

Postby Al Koholik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:56 pm

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Al Koholik, Are you of the opinion that Prohaska is not in the upper tier of strength coaches? That he doesnt make a remarkable difference in the teams or players he coaches? That there is no difference in what he brings compared to a typical HS or College strength coach? That all he does is coach weight training and running?

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:31 am

Typical high school's don't have a strength coach...

BoscoBrave

Postby BoscoBrave » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:33 am

Maybe if you’re living in the stone ages they don’t.

kingspeed

Postby kingspeed » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:31 am

Most schools do not have a strength coach. Certainly, the Trinity Schools do but that is somewhat new as prior it was the football or that sports coaching staff now they have degreed and certificated persons who oversee. MD has 2 that are full time in addition to the outside consultants like Prohaska. I would venture no other school in Santa Ana or Bellflower has a strength coach. The rich get richer...
"Get In The Mix"

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:32 am

Yep! Very few publics have a dedicated strength coach... and it is not the stone ages.

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Oh ye who reside in a pile of frozen blocks. Mr Eskimo, where did I imply that strength coaches are dispensable, not important or that Mr Prohaska was anything but top tier? Very much to the contrary sir. As a matter of FACT, I, sir, was a strength coach for many years at two very high-profile programs (for one season at the very school in question). What I did dispute and dismember was your staunch assertion that Mr Prohaska was the “architect of the character and culture of MD football” and that his departure would signal the demise of the program.
While it was a while ago that I had the privilege to coach under Rollo, you are and have been at a distinct disadvantage not knowing my inside and intimate knowledge of the program and whom the TRUE architect of the culture and character is.
Thanks for playing though.

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 pm

IS THIS THE CULTURE YOUR SPEAKING OF??
Mater Dei missed the Pac-5 football playoffs last year with a 4-6 season, Only then did Coach Bruce Rollinson flash back to the lethargic fourth quarters, and the players who weren’t carrying their weight because they couldn’t.

“It would be an hour before we were supposed to get taped on game night, and I’d come back and there would be pizza boxes lying around,” Rollinson said. “I’d say, ‘This can’t be good. But what can I do?'”

OR THIS ONE?
he hired Scot Prohaska,
Shortly after that, overweight players were told they had no future in the program unless they started eating things that swim or cluck.
On Friday the Monarchs play at St. Bonaventure in the Pac-5 semifinals. Last Friday night they scored the final 21 points to beat Alemany, 53-42.

“And we’ve got proteins flying around all over the place,” said Rollinson, who has lost 30 pounds himself. Offensive coordinator Dave Money is a veritable I formation, down 90 pounds

“I never thought a football team could lift as hard during the season as we do,” Rollinson said. “Scott told me not to ever use the term ‘maintenance lifting.’ We’re pushing steel, but it’s different, a lot of joint-stability stuff.

“Scott’s a great motivator. But he’s not a yell-and-scream guy. He’s as good a brainwasher as I ever thought I could be.”

The parents stayed on board because they came to like the way their sons looked in before-and-after pictures.

And when Rollinson asked Prohaska how he could possibly police all the weight-room commitments. Prohaska said, “You won’t have to. The players will.”

Each rack in the weight room now has a leader, who charts attendance and commitment. It is not as easy for a Monarch to beg off those sessions as it was, because the rack leader is now his monitor.

They work great together. We all hope Rollo has learned enough with Prohaska that he can carry on. A booster told me that they are still great friends and Prohaska will help when called upon.

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Rollo without Prohaska - 10 years ZERO Championship appearances
Rollo with Prohaska - 7 years - 5 CIF Championship apperances

Troy Thomas without Prohaska - First 5 years at Servite ZERO Championship apperances
Troy Thomas with Prohaska - 3 years - 2 CIF Championships

Must be the transfers though

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:04 am

Well sir, it has become painfully obvious that the root of your assertions is inherently flawed by the old conflate and equate disconnect.
You seem to believe that dietary discipline and weight-room dynamics are the drivers of Culture and Character and, even more disconnected, that such virtues, for lack of a better word, are measured by wins, losses, playoff appearances and championships. I would argue, and be able to name a few, that there are many programs that have established a culture and character equal to that of any MD or the like and never sniffed a championship.
But I suppose that depends on your definition of such. I could guarantee you that if you asked any MD football alum from the past 30 years (must have attended more than one or two semesters) to describe the MD football culture and character they would, to a man, reference the 3 Stripes and Rollo. NOT a one would talk about the imposed diet or how the strength coach, who phones in the workouts, assigned leaders to each rack (BTW, what an innovative and cutting edge concept... leaders and followers... sheer genius).
Culture and character are defined and developed by head coaches... (and players buying in) PERIOD. The rest of the staff works to support that development and have varying degrees of impact. But the HC’s are the architects of programs.
Wins and losses and especially championships, are primarily determined by TALENT or lack thereof.
All the dieting and leadership in the world won’t make a 4.9 kid a 4.5 or make the fat kid with 2 left feet a ballerina.
And I’d be remiss if I didn’t inquire as to why your hero isn’t currently at a top college or the NFL or employed by the Olympic teams? I believe he has some experience at those levels but why HS now? Just wondering. MD needs to pay Joey Boese, great alum and respected S/C coach in D1 football, to come home and put him in charge. If anyone knows the culture and character of MD...
In summation, save yourself and dislodge that Prohaska Kielbasa from your throat. Cause you’re choking on it... again.

hocyouthguy

Postby hocyouthguy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 am

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:13 am

Cant we all agree, its so simple..., you get all the best athletes by recruit or transfer, hire the best head coaches and staff, hire or keep the best strength and speed coaches, raise more money than any other schools, spend more money than any other schools and don't stress to much on academics or books or staying around for graduation and wow you are the best team(s) in the nation. Stunning accomplishment.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:20 pm

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Is there a coherent thought somewhere in there?

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:51 pm

Eskimow....I think its eat things that run, fly, swim and are green. Charles Poliquin.
SpeedKing...Santa Ana and Garden Grove have done a good job in the weightroom considering their circumstances

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Al,

Go ahead and ask every player and family that experienced both Prohaska and Rollo together. Want to make a wager on what the vast majority will say?

The changes to the diet and commitment to the workouts is a HUGE indicator of character, culture, sacrifice, teamwork and commitment. Something that was hugely lacking under Rollo that previous 4 years before Prohaska.

So please tell me, What changed to go from a 4-6 season with a bunch of fat out of shape talented kids ( Rollos Words) , To making the CIF Finals the very next year Prohaska got there? Dont kid yourself and say transfers because it didnt happen that year. What Changed?

eskimow

Postby eskimow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Name the transfers that changed the program from 4-6 in 2011 to CIF Finalists the 2012 season.

kid66

Postby kid66 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 pm

One thing change and it’s the only reason MD is winning national titles and beating SJB and IMG is the quality of athletes. A team full of 4 star and 5 star athletes vs a group of under achievers. You take your pick. MD is getting several kids that have hit the DNA lottery. Big difference. You can take the 4/6 team and give them Scott P. for an off season I bet the results do not vary too much. Maybe 5/5 max.

Look at the scholarships that the kids are receiving. Look at the class of 2018. 4 lineman went division 1, add in JT Daniels, Amon St. Brown, I can go on and on.

Better genetics period.....

Get this straight Roll built the winning culture at MD. Look at the generations of athletes. Go check out the thanksgiving morning practice at MD. Look how many ex Rollo players show up and watch practice and greet the team. I haven’t seen to many line up for Scott P. All about Rollo and the pride , poise, courage. The three stripes.

I would say that Scott’s biggest contribution is the nutritional education and getting the team to buy into it. Nutrition is huge when it comes to athletes. A lot has changed in the past 20 years when it comes to training and nutrition. There’s a reason why every college athletic department now has nutritionist on staff.

In regards to the workouts, he does very common lifting routines add in a few off the wall lifts. But let’s get this straight, Scott P. is rarely at MD during the week. Someone else is running the day to day lifting. He’s been threatening to leave for a few years.

Al, I didn’t realize you were a strength coach at MD. You must have ran the show with Crawford. AKA Crawdaddy.,,

kid66

Postby kid66 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:06 pm

@Eskimo, the biggest difference with the 4/6 team and next season was the new group of upper class man. The 4/6 team had poor leadership and the senior class wasn’t very good. Again, the talent improved.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:57 am

Much like the thread about Elias Ricks, this one has been populated largely by people who don’t know what they’re talking about. Only Al Koholik and Kingspeed have any firsthand experience with Coach Rollinson, Scot Prohaska and the Mater Dei sports environment, one because he was an assistant varsity football coach for many years, and one because he’s coached other varsity sports at the school for many years. The rest are spreading rumors, hearsay and wishful thinking. Here are some facts that might end the discussion.

1. Scot and his wife have a young baby boy, and Scot would like to spend more time with both of them.

2. Scot is a world-class expert in sports training and performance improvement, with a very successful facility of his own. Coupled with his knowledge of nutrition, injury prevention and rehabilitation, he’s as good as anybody in the world. While his expertise is in ice hockey, he has regular clients from the NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, UFC and Olympic sports. There are more than a few professional sports teams that won’t draft a player unless he’s received the personal green light from Scot.

3. Scot was recently contracted by USA Hockey, the governing body of all minor league ice hockey leagues in the United States, to be a leader in their strength and conditioning programs.

4. He was also recently contracted by USA Figure Skating, the governing body for that sport, to take on the same leadership role for them.

5. Henry and Susan Samueli, the billionaire owners of the Anaheim Ducks are building a large fitness and training center in the Great Park in Irvine, and they’ve recently contracted Scot to make that endeavor a success.

6. Scot’s program has been fully implemented at Mater Dei since his second year at the school, and it runs largely without his being present. During the season, he is at games on Friday nights to oversee warmups and in-game emergencies, and he is present on Saturday mornings for the postgame flush and prowler drills.

7. He has certified two full-time, on-staff strength and conditioning coaches at the school, one for football and one for the other sports, to continue to run his program.

8. He remains a consultant to the football program and will be there as much as time allows.

And finally, Al Koholic is 100% correct. For the past 31 years, Bruce Rollinson has been solely and completely responsible for the football culture and spirit at the school. Anybody who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Return to “High School”