Hmm, leads the team to their first league championship in seven years, hmm

insidetrinity

Re: Burt Call - Villa Park baseball

Postby insidetrinity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 pm

One of the best guys in Orange County among baseball guys. Solid dude

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Ya,he is, - I guess there was some player discipline problems? - (word is), last season that he was unable
to overcome and it just happen that his contract was up for renewal at that time - luck of the draw,
so to speak but ya; a good guy and very good baseball HC...

Sort of surprised - the administration with his years there did not give him an additional season, to clear things up and if not, go from there.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:09 am

Congratulations to an outstanding man and Coach. As he was leading Villa Park to the top Mater Dei falls to 4 and 8 in the Trinity League and out of playoff contention.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

..maybe it's just me but it did not appear that MD had the overall talent last season and also
this season that they usually do, maybe wrong but I'm thinking even Call could not have gotten more
wins with this MD current team then the new head coach has, IMO....
Overall; currently the new MDHC still has more season wins than Call does at this point, fyi..

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:27 pm

I was wondering how long it would be before somebody said "but Trinity." The guy won his league. "Congratulations" is the correct term.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Trojanfan949

Postby Trojanfan949 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:34 pm

BuckW if you're trying to compare the North Hills league to the Trinity league your on the crazy train. Call is a great guy and great coach but let's be honest the North Hills league is nowhere near the talent of the Trinity league. Mercado is doing a great job at Mater Dei taking a team with nowhere near the talent of past years to a possible .500 record. The team last year had more division 1 commits than wins (12 commits, 9 wins).

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Mater Dei is currently 4-8 in league play and they haven't played OLu yet. After three games this week against OLu there is a real good chance they finish 4-11. I would not exactly call that a "great job."

MDGuy

Postby MDGuy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:20 pm

There are a lot of good baseball players in the Orange / Villa Park / Canyon (Anaheim Hills) area. Lots of very good little leagues and travel ball clubs also. I know quite a few of the boys on the team and from what I understand VPHS would have won more games in the past if they would have had a good coach like Call. Who knows, if he builds up a good program he might just steal a few of the kids who would have otherwise gone to Lutheran High School and save their parents a few bucks.

IMHO, Call might have been caught up with the ever demanding parents at MD and maybe kept kids on the program who didn't have much talent. Who knows. I am just glad the local kids are having success and wish them well.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 pm

--hmm, Call just picked up his 400th win today - never thought he had that many, hmm
(and apparently,this is VP's first baseball title since 2007! - per media), hmm

BoscoBrave

Postby BoscoBrave » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:17 am

Every school has a strength and conditioning coach. He may coach other positions, but there is some coach in the football program that is in charge of strength and conditioning. If you’re speaking of someone who is ONLY a strength and conditioning coach then most teams don’t have that.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed May 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Well, both Call and Mercado finished the regular season at .500, Call @ 14-14 and Mercado @ 15-15,
difference is Villa Park is continuing on to the playoffs - I don't think Call could have finished better
if he was still at MD this year, MD might have had more talent last year so Mercado did a good job
with what he had, I believe seven of the eight field players will be back next year, for MD - MD played a ton
of jr's and sophs this year.

Trojanfan949

Postby Trojanfan949 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:52 pm

Call and Mercado both did great jobs in their first year at new schools. Villa Park has alot of returners coming back next year and MD has really good Freshman and Sophomore classes that will look to make a impact next year. Villa Park should have have great success in that league at least the next couple years I'm sure having Call there will start to have a impact on talent coming into that program. Will be interesting to see how MD does next year in the Trinity League.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sat May 04, 2019 2:30 pm

it will be difficult for MD to move up much in the Trinity League next year. OLu's two best starting pitchers that dominated the league are both juniors. SM's starting lineup consisted of 8 underclassmen. They also have a sophomore pitcher that has committed to UCLA that didn't pitch a varsity inning this season because of an injury. He should be back strong next season. Jserra is losing some seniors but their best starting pitcher is a sophomore. Jserra also has a strong sophomore class with the majority of those players on the varsity team this season. I'm not sure what Servite has coming back. MD's best pitcher that accounted for most of their wins is a senior. Big drop off with their number 2 and 3 starters. Bosco like MD is in need of help. Maybe some of that tuition assistance money that is being used by football can be shared with baseball.

Trojanfan949

Postby Trojanfan949 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:49 am

BuckW good insight there on the standing of the teams in the Trinity league. SM only has 3 sophomores in the starting lineup consistently. The rest is made up of Juniors and 2 seniors but they will be returning 7 of their position players. Chris Mallek is doing a really good job. He's starting to pull a lot of the talent in South County away from Jserra who has pretty much dominated in getting the top baseball players in the area since Brett Kay took over. Watch out for SM to be a top contender in the Trinity league for the foreseeable future. Jserra looks like they have the strongest sophomore class in the Trinity league. They will make a big impact on that program for a couple more years and keep that program at the top. Mater Dei will probably take at least a couple more years to rebuild but they have a good freshman class that should get them back on track pretty soon. Bosco also has a really good freshman class with 4 freshmen eventually starting on Varsity by the end of the year in the 2019 season. Don't know much about Servite except they are always going to have a tough time getting kids when OLU can easily take the talent from that area. OLU is running out of time to get that CIF championship. Their best players are Seniors and Juniors unless they get some transfers coming in for there underclasses they won't be getting any better as the years go on. Villa Park with Call at the helm will also start to pull some players away from OLU. Also, want to give congratulations to Call on getting the Spartans to the quarterfinals of div.2 CIF.

Return to “High School”