Smchs basketball coach Jeff reinert resigns

longtimeobserver

Re: Smchs basketball coach Jeff reinert resigns

Post by longtimeobserver » Mon May 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Well "dont be that guy"---One of those players does have the weight of Championship ring--he was a
starter as a freshmen when they won the Open Championship a year ago. So I am sure he has a fun
ride and the other will probably have one before he graduates. Also to some people the division
you win the ring in is of the upmost importance---especially for the basketball fanatics. SM wouldn't
have won a game in the Open Division playoffs this year.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Ya, now don't get me wrong ,lower division championships are great anytime you can win one, especially for the players, coaches, staff,school, etc.; - but the bottom line is,it ain't the biggie and the money game,
nothing more or less.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 pm

They did beat Rancho Christian and Etiwanda. Also lost to Beverly Hills (bad loss).

Getting blown out at home to Mater Dei with 3 Pac-12 recruits in your first 5-bad loss.
Losing to JSerra - always a bad look at SM.

This year JSerra beat SM in football (easily), boys and girls BB, swept the CIF-D2 champs in baseball.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 pm

daddyooo wrote:What is the longest length of time a MD player has played in the league? I don't even think they have had a career (10yr+) player.

daddyooo - MD has had several players over the McKnight years play on NBA teams, probably not
lasting more than a season or maybe two for various reasons, one as far back as maybe 20? or more years
ago, (Jamal Sampson) played for the Lakers?,I believe ...

Stanley Johnson is the most current and longest active past MD player in the NBA, four
years, I believe; played for the Pistons, traded to the Pelicans this past season and apparently
the Pelican staff like him a lot and giving him more opportunities on the floor at the end of the regular season, even had him working at point guard per reports,

I don't know what you call a good salary but Johnson made about 4 million last season and will
make 5.3 million and change for the 19-20 season.

On a side note, there were actually two ex-MD players playing in the NBA last season, besides Johnson,
Travis Wear played with the Lakers the last two months of the season, fyi
Last edited by cruiser on Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Stanley Johnson may well be their first long-term NBA player. Hard to believe given their success on the court and the number of players that get to high major colleges.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Tue May 21, 2019 12:40 pm

Reinert officially named the basketball head coach at the College of Southern Idaho.
- seems like a great gig for him. He is 57 years old per the article, he could
be there a while, good move for him

TahoeCoachRCS

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Tue May 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Great move for Coach Reinert and his family. Do any of you SM or Trinity hoops experts know who the front runner is to replace him at SM?

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Tue May 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Not sure about any potential replacements. A parent mentioned the crean Lutheran coach to me but that was just them throwing a name out. The only sm official I spoke to since he resigned then was reinert and it was just to wish him well.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 am

yup, I believe Stanley Johnson has played in more NBA games than any player in Mater Dei history, more than all of the 9 Mater Dei players under McKnight that made it to the NBA.
It feels like a meaningless stat, what i mean is, out of all the high schools in California, Mater Dei has sent the most players to the NBA but that accomplishment feels meaningless because the majority of their players don't last long enough in the NBA. I remember it was said, LeRon Ellis, Reggie Geary, and Stanley Johnson(still playing) are the only 3 out of 9 Mater Dei players in the NBA that have lasted a full season, and Jamal Sampson came close.

Its hard to believe it took Mater Dei this long to have a player like Stanley Johnson, make it to the NBA and last this long, given their long monster-success on the court, but yet Stanley Johnson hasn't made a max-deal NBA contract like Klay Thompson has or made the All-Star team like he has. Yet Santa Margarita has done that.

Reason why it's a huge shock is because Santa Margarita hasn't even won or achieved a fraction of the amount of post-season success, championships that Mater Dei has won under McKnight.

Same can be said for other high schools in California that have had some amazing teams in their history but yet their success is not even close to the amount that Mater Dei has accumalated on the court. Artesia has produced James Harden, who is, or has been long on his way to having a first-ballot hall of fame NBA career, and Dominguez, Tayshaun Prince and Tyson Chandler came from there, Tyson Chander is still playing, their NBA careers have lasted more than a decade.

I believe its been a said a large factor for MD players not lasting long in the NBA, or just their success post-high school makes you raise eyebrows, is because they excel in high school mainly so well is because they play very well as a team and extremely well coached, so it makes a lot of their individual players look better than they actually are.

That's why I posted that thread from 2012, that was titled, I feel it should been phrased, how come MD has not produced 1 long-term NBA player under McKnight? Well that can kinda be eliminated now due to Stanley Johnson but it is still kinda shock that it took MD that long, because Gary McKnight was already like in his 30th season as Head Coach by the time Stanley Johnson arrived at the time, but yet, it still kinda feels that way since Santa Margarita and Artesia and Dominguez, I believe even Crenshaw and Westchester have produced NBA players that have made the All-Star team or last longer than any MD player, which is a shock because MD is the most decorated program in High School basketball history in California or the West Coast.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 am

...interesting, WantTheNFLBack714, yes; I think you are on to something, the superb coaching at
MD makes a lot of the players look more talented then they actually are, plus the overall MD/McKnight
mystique that radiates out to his teams.

On a side note - i knew MD had several players that have played in the NBA, but did not think it was as high as 9, good stuff overall.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 am

You forgot MLKing (Leonard), Leuzinger (Westbrook)...

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 am

want the NFL said:
I believe its been a said a large factor for MD players not lasting long in the NBA, or just their success post-high school makes you raise eyebrows, is because they excel in high school mainly so well is because they play very well as a team and extremely well coached, so it makes a lot of their individual players look better than they actually are.

Never truer words.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

Big time college programs (particularly Kentucky and North Carolina) had the same rap...the coaching was so good that the individual talents didn't shine until they went to the pros.

Here's a joke along those lines:

"who's the only person to ever stop Michael Jordan?"

"Dean Smith"

:)

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:01 pm

my bad, but your absolutely right, can't forget them.

It kinda reminds me, James Harden and Taylor King were in high school around the same time, i remember Taylor King edged out James Harden for the award California Mr. Basketball, but James Harden has long been having the last laugh against Taylor King, because Harden is long on his way, or has been long on his way to being a first-ballot Pro Basketball Hall of Famer , meanwhile Taylor King never played a single game in the NBA.

Taylor King is probably the MD player i'm the most shocked that never made it to the NBA, or the biggest waste of MD basketball talent, more than that way, the way to describe Taylor King, is that his basketball career pretty much crashed in college. Expectations were definetley high for Taylor King after high school but he didn't live up to them at all, before Stanley Johnson arrived, many considered Taylor King the best in MD history.

Also, MD has that common trend of their players transferring a lot in college, even the media has covered that, many say its because of their playing experience at MD influences their decision to transfer a lot in college, because they are spoiled by too much winning in high school, unaccustomed to losing, it specifically said in an L.A. times article saying:

"Some observers, including McKnight, say Mater Dei players may be spoiled by a high school experience that in many ways already mirrors major-college athletics.

Mater Dei basketball players enjoy top-notch gymnasium and training facilities, a fervent fan base, an apparel contract with Nike, a schedule that includes national tournaments in sold-out arenas and near-constant media exposure.

They also win, and win, and win. "Some guys have gone to schools that have lost more games in one year than they did in all of high school," McKnight said.

Reinhardt said he and other top players received rock star treatment at Mater Dei.
"… Everybody wants to talk to you, everybody wants to get your autograph," he said. "The coaches love you and they treat you like God."

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 pm

It's not all lost for Taylor King. Made a decent amount of $$$ playing overseas, got sober and married, and now is a pretty good assistant coach at JSerra.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Not sure if it’s accurate but someone on the SoCal hoops forum is saying they hired Justin bell, the associate head coach at UC Riverside

TahoeCoachRCS

Post by TahoeCoachRCS » Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Why do these schools think the college assistant is the answer? Such a different skill set than what a proven high school head coach brings to the table. Who are the former college assistants now head coaching high school that prove this type of hire is a good call? JSerra hired the third assistant at UC Riv so SM hires the #1? Not that impressive at first glance. What am I missing?

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Tue May 28, 2019 10:16 pm

not sure much about him but i suppose he impressed in interviews. college guys seems like a wildcard in most cases. sm hired reinert from a college and i think he was overall pretty successful but they also hired fisher in football from a college and he wasnt very good. i know their first choice was the head coach at fullerton junior college

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Tue May 28, 2019 11:21 pm

McKnight was the JV coach at Ocean View when he was hired at MD----It's great if you can find a previous
head coach but there are many JV coaches that have the talent and expertise to become a successful
head coach. I don't think a JC coach would give up his job at a JC----the best and least stressful job
for a coach to have.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 am

A Trinity League coaching job is more like a college job than a public HS job, particularly on the "attraction" of players. A D-1 assistant in the Big West is going to have contacts at the club level also-which is where "attraction" of players often takes place.

Most seasoned public HS coaches have teaching jobs also, and are reluctant to give up pension vesting, etc until they are fully in the season. The exception are older coaches who are fully vested-and therefore can retire, collect $$$, and get a lucrative 2nd job as a coach in the TL. Harry Welch prime example of this-but it also applies for other positions outside of FB (JSerra's current theatre department head retired from Dana Hills a year ago)...