MV @ CC TONIGHT

Playthegame

MV @ CC TONIGHT

Post by Playthegame »

Shake out scrimmage tonight, first look at this years vaunted D front and PC and receiving Corp, we will see some pro sets this year from MV in addition to up temp spread. Think LA Rams...

Not a game but two competitive programs so first bite tonite...any others on tap?
SoCalFball

Re: MV @ CC TONIGHT

Post by SoCalFball »

Should be pretty good. CC is banged up right now so will be interesting to see how many of there guys play tonight considering they have the 3 county all stars next week. I'm not sure next week will even be that competitive.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Going, will have thoughts and take away's 11 ish. 7pm in Corona for those who want to look...
TherealG

Post by TherealG »

We’ll I was there. MV didn’t have there starting QB in so it was hard to see how good that offense is. Don’t know what happened to that defense but CC scored on them every play. That O couldn’t get anything going until the last drive but you can clearly see CC front 7 wasn’t bringing it like they did at the end.
TherealG

Post by TherealG »

So how did it go Playthegame?
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

PTG-
sounds like MV D is gonna be lit this year with Keneley, and Keanu on the DLINE and Masceraneas, Rolen at OLB, etc..
Happy to see my boy Scott Von der Ahe get inducted into the MV hall of fame, much deserved.
As for La Habra, they played Carter of Rialto and pretty muched em. Zanelli to Koontz 3-4 times for 3-4 TD'S, and that was double covered. Ryan Louden (RB) showed his strength and toughness as he ran through tackles for TD.
Clark kent Phillips lit up WR'S seperating them from the ball and locking down guys, Phillips has tremendous closing speed.
That guy is something else!
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Coming back from last years unit , leading tackler at LB is Isaiah Rosas 66 tackles, 38 solo, and 6.5 sacks, along with Daniel Barrales on the dline, 12 sacks from last year, and Brewer OLB, 62 tackles.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

Well, we know Costelli can run, and we know they will need to get the run game going to make his passing more effective and wide open. Mavin Anderson will be the go to. CC dline has always been top notch and its good to see what you and who you need on the oline, because that could be a semi final match up??
Costelli might take alot of hits this year, whos the back up? Last year at SM his QB rating was 89.7. Not sure that is accurate enough to get it done, which explains a 3-7 finish. Carried the ball 42 times for a 4.6 per carry average, with a 56 long. Getting transfer and go to to Costelli at SM, Nenad had 802 yards and 5 TD'S. Play action, play action, play action. GIVE, KEEP, THROW. give, give, give, keep, throw. Yeah , like that lol.
BuckW

Post by BuckW »

Costelli is injured. I don't know how long he will be out. MV is hoping to have him back by the SM game.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

My Impressions,

MV D line is biggest across the front as I have ever seen, O line is also good sized 275-290, MV secondary is vacant...they have no one, CC was able to gash them with slants, outs, corner fades, jumps I thought Costelli got some reps early but only saw the freshman in who did pretty good. I did not find out why Costelli was not in I just thought it was rotation but never saw a series with Costelli. While CC was able to throw at will against MV for the most part, they were not able to run the ball. MV has Jaquez Robertson who carried the ball last year.

At this point MV has 60 plays in the book and I felt like a lot of good things to build on but D backfield does not have the stars it has enjoyed in recent seasons. No lock down cover guys...

I talked to Logan for a bit and asked him a few questions, one, who their starting QB would be, he said, "that has not been determined yet" and if anybody was hurt/out and no names mentioned but maybe had couple guys out on defense. CC has a couple fast dudes Number one stood out, G. Bryant, WR/CB, kid impressed.

CC was executing well and looked to be in good form for this early with passing game but like I said they were not able to run the ball well on MV.

MV will have Nenand and Anderson to throw to and good sized tight end Roelen, O line will be able to protect, but MV needs some dudes in the secondary, biggest weakness is the Diablo D backfield. Mascarenas was out all spring and summer but has been training and was cleared for last night.

CJ thinking La Habra will be toughest game, upland and St. Mary's will be good opponents.

Hard to tell how good or bad teams are from a scrimmage and my take away would be the teams are pretty evenly matched. CC performed better on offense and out scored MV, they also had a better secondary, but MV did not have starting QB in. So likely to be one of those basketball type games where back and forth and who does not fail to score and has last possession.

Greatest impression for an MV fan, was wow our lines are good sized this year, really impressive front 4, the second is where are the safeties and corners?...and we still have not seen new QB in a game...Hawaii next week for fun in the sun then Santa Margarita then La Habra, with VP, Saint Mary's and upland to finish pre-league play...if Diablos can find, make some cover guys they will be pretty good...if not just a top tier public...that's ok tho...should be a fun season...
templar83

Post by templar83 »

Thanks for the recap. And have fun in the Islands, that has to be an enjoyable experience for the coaches, players and fans. For those of us left behind it sounds as if the CC/MD game will an evenly matched affair. Good start to the season all around...
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

MD should roll CC, just not on that level of play this year...big distance between the top tier and the pak...I don't think it will be competitive...

Also Hearing this is Rollo's last season...
SoCalFball

Post by SoCalFball »

That was a pretty good recap of last night! I was there both teams look good. Both were missing starters. I think Mission and CC are gonna be pretty good this season but there is definitely a gap between those two and the top privates.
templar83

Post by templar83 »

Seems like every year, at least of late, someone "hears" this season IS Rollo's last go around. Could be I suppose, but he seems full of energy and his health is good and he loves what he's doing ( the winning helps ) so perhaps not.

As for the game not being competitive, I don't see it that way. CC fumbled and stumbled their way to a loss last year, but in between CC's missteps MD had a good deal of trouble moving the ball on offense. Seriously doubt CC will turn the ball over 5 times, including 4 int for TDs, this Friday. And while it was only a scrimmage, MD's offense ( and I'm being kind here ) was a mess last Thursday. I think it'll be close.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

If MD struggles then they are not who they were...it is early so being a mess is expected for most programs, not the CC's MD's and Bosco's of the new age...if MD struggles next week they drop way down in rankings...CC not at the level of the past teams...

I will say MV could be way better come play off time as they definitely have some pieces...

I agree about the Rollo exit timing and whether he does or doesn't but I heard it from reputable source so there is talk at the very least...
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

MV TOOK IT FROM THE SCRIMMAGE TO THE hAWAIIAN islands. They beat up a sub par team, basically another glorified scrimmage, where they worked on the run game. The new RB Scott ran for 2 TDS. Did Costelli play? Is he hurt?
Is he elgible? If hes ready to go for this week , which is huge in terms of recruiting the local area. Im sure there is a bounty?? The run game with Scott and QB Costelli will be tough to stop but to many hits on the QB could call for a long season. The number one threat at WR is Anderson, so we will see how many times he is targeted if the OLINE CAN give Costelli time? The MV D is supposed to be the teams strength. Dline, LB'S, gonna be tough to run on those guys.
I understand the SM vs MV game is a rivalry, but the following week at LH is the one i want to see.
That is going to be :steam: Both teams should be 2-0 and as The Crue says.... "RED HOT"!
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

the game they both need to play...MV vs. JSerra.
RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland »

hit the lights wrote: MV TOOK IT FROM THE SCRIMMAGE TO THE hAWAIIAN islands. They beat up a sub par team, basically another glorified scrimmage, where they worked on the run game. The new RB Scott ran for 2 TDS.
It was against inferior competition — a limited-numbers team from the Big Island that has to play home and homes every year against the other 5 schools on the island — but the Diablo offense looks like it has reloaded.

RB Tyson Scott looked good in the clips I saw; didn’t know he was originally from Texas (started at Carrolton Hebron HS (Dallas area)). Add him to the new check-in at slot WR, Jereme Cortes-Rolfe from San Antonio (Jr 5-10 180) and wow, Chad Johnson going NATIONAL with the Diablo recruiting efforts! Scott carries his listed 190 lbs like its 175, and per MaxPreps he averaged over 7 yards per carry in game 1.

He and fellow junior BOWLING BALL RB Jacquez Robertson (listed at 5-6 180) should be a small but dangerous 1-2 punch in that offense, especially with Costelli running RPOs and zone read action. Seems like some were questioning Costelli’s health but he SPRINTED for about a 40 yard TD off a read fake in Hawaii, and his arm looked plenty healthy too.

Big mostly veteran OL lined up against Konaweana as: LT J Garofalo (Jr 6-4 290); LG A Flores (Sr 5-10 260); C T Villarreal (Sr 6-3 260); RG J Hand (Jr 6-2 280); RT T Mirabella (Sr 6-4 290).

Mavin Andersen and 6-3 SM transfer Chase Nenad will be 1-2 at WR, but they’ve also got former Redondo Seahawk Shaun Gold (Sr 6-3 185) and Cortes-Rolfe, not to mention 215 lb Sr TJ Roelen at TE/HB, son of former MV basketball coach and AD Troy Roelen, who caught a 28-yard TD from Costelli.
SuperMonster

Post by SuperMonster »

If I'm not mistaken, Shaun Gold is out for the season.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Gold is out fir the season, big loss...