[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
So. Football Pool. - Orange County Forums

So. Football Pool.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

So. Football Pool.

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 am

Yes! We're doing it and the prediction page is up and ready to go - https://www.occonnect.com/prediction-week-1/

The number of players might be smaller this year, or, maybe it won't be. We'll see. Everyone's welcome and it doesn't take any special skill to play. Hell, I've finished 3rd for the last three years. That should be proof enough of that. So jump on in.

A couple things different this year:
I'm making the lists myself now, so they're likely to be up earlier in the week and the lists might lean a little more toward smaller schools. At least if I see a close game between La Quinta and Bolsa Grande, I'll go with that over one that looks like a blowout involving a D1 school.

Also, I've dropped the Game of the Week. It's never scored any differently and it's never really had any significance, so it's gone.

Oh, and I changed the Theme on the WordPress side to one that's more phone-friendly, so the prediction page fits a little better. It breaks out a little on the right side but at least you can scroll over a little and see it where you couldn't before. I'll see if I can tweak it a little to make it fit better, but at least it's usable now.

Any questions about how to play, see the or feel free to ask in this thread.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Playthegame

Re: So. Football Pool.

Postby Playthegame » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:37 pm

My pics are in...Like the format too!

Vernster52

Postby Vernster52 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:29 am

I'm baaaaack.

Thanks JQP

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:36 am

WB Vernster! :cheers:

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:40 am

at the top of the predictions page it says " Don’t forget to enter a score for the losing team". what is that for ?

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:54 am

Hey Tony, rules page for detail says for tie breakers, closest game score breaks the tie...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:58 am

You only need to pick the winner, so most of us go with a score of 1-0. Sometimes we forget the zero and it makes the pick not count. It's very common, actually, so it's best to scroll back over the page and check to see if you left any spaces blank.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 am

And welcome back, GoBruins!

:hide:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:25 am

One gutsy person putting his golden futbol on Upland.

As a refresher, you only get one of those for the whole year, and once clicked they can't be un-clicked but they can be moved to any other game that week.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Rankings as of Friday night. PTG from start to finish! So far. JohnnyU and Vernster right behind him at 20. And GoBruins climbing back from 0 for Thursday at 17.

Mission Viejo and Konawaena are still in the 2nd quarter but everyone picked MV, so add 1. Or don't if we were all wrong.

1. Playthegame 21
2. JohnnyU 20
3. vernster52 20
4. John Q. Public 19
5. southocfootball 19
6. 2002tony 18
7. GoBruins 17
8. bigbear 14
9. JvJoe 14

https://www.occonnect.com/rankings-week-1/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:27 pm

Week 1 is in the books. The only change in the standings is that JVJoe slipped one. Now if PTG would just do the same. :mrgreen:

1. Playthegame 23
2. JohnnyU 22
3. vernster52 22
4. John Q. Public 21
5. southocfootball 21
6. 2002tony 20
7. GoBruins 19
8. bigbear 16
9. JvJoe 15

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Week 2 games are posted.

And yes, Estancia fans, I went with a few games between smaller, more closely matched teams rather than the bigger, more familiar schools. There's still some pretty easy picks but there are a few that could be anybody's guess. Gotta keep it interesting.

https://www.occonnect.com/predictions-week-2/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am

Bump for the procrastinators.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:03 pm

After 4 games, we have JohnnyU, PTG and Southocfootball at 3 apiece. The rest of us, I guess I could have picked 4 games in Nebraska and we'd have done as well.

We get our revenge tomorrow. :rockon:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:11 pm

Ugly week unless you're 2002tony. :cheers:

Four people barely above 50% and Bigbear and I probably could have done better with a dart board. Geesh!

Still waiting for a score on Brea Olinda and Sonora. Scorestream says Brea 21-6 but I'll only call that "tentative." Two more games tomorrow, so I guess we still have a shot at redemption.

:bonk:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:32 pm

Like I said, ugly week unless you're Tony or socfb. We'll be back.

1. 2002tony 25
2. southocfootball 24
3. JohnnyU 22
4. Playthegame 21
5. GoBruins 20
6. vernster52 20
7. skmns 19
8. John Q. Public 18
9. bigbear 15

https://www.occonnect.com/rankings-week-2/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:36 pm

So many games that look like mismatches this week that I had a hard time finding 30 that looked fairly competitive.

But here ya go. Some easy, some not so easy. I know I'll eat that part about "easy." #-o

https://www.occonnect.com/predictions-week-3/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:12 am

Vernster! 26 for 29. And the rest of us, for the most part, improved a little from last week so the rankings are a little prettier. Except for Glorious Webmaster, the guy who's supposed to nag about such things, somehow managing to not fill in three scores. Doofus.

I'll post the final ranking after tonight's game.

https://www.occonnect.com/rankings-week-3/

Bigbear

Postby Bigbear » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:11 am

Damn. I’m not doing too well. Where the hell is thefrog? I need someone I know I can do a little bit better than.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Vernster, 27 for 30! :cheers:

1. vernster52 27
2. GoBruins 24
3. 2002tony 23
4. southocfootball 23
5. John Q. Public 22
6. JohnnyU 21
7. Playthegame 21