Mission v. SM 2019: The Costelli/Schwenke/Nenad Bowl

RedPillWonderland

Mission v. SM 2019: The Costelli/Schwenke/Nenad Bowl

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:49 pm

The (sort-of) annual, private-public, South County football rivalry.

With all the connections between these two squads, this is always an interesting matchup. Former youth teammates, potential future transfer scenarios, neighborhood and even family bragging rights on the line, parental feuds, South County recruiting enrollment battles. It’s all there and it’s great. I’m sure all the local youth programs will have at least a side eye on this one.

Brent Vieselmeyer could really establish himself by pulling an upset here, and he has to want this one bad, especially as a home opener. Diablos have to be favored though, if for no other reason just based on the key players they took off the SM roster in the offseason.

RedPillWonderland

Re: Mission v. SM 2019: The Costelli/Schwenke/Nenad Bowl

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:16 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote: RB Tyson Scott looked good in the clips I saw; didn’t know he was originally from Texas (started at Carrolton Hebron HS (Dallas area)). Add him to the new check-in at slot WR, Jereme Cortes-Rolfe from San Antonio (Jr 5-10 180) and wow, Chad Johnson going NATIONAL with the Diablo recruiting efforts! Scott carries his listed 190 lbs like its 175, and per MaxPreps he averaged over 7 yards per carry in game 1.

He and fellow junior BOWLING BALL RB Jacquez Robertson (listed at 5-6 180) should be a small but dangerous 1-2 punch in that offense, especially with Costelli running RPOs and zone read action. Seems like some were questioning Costelli’s health but he SPRINTED for about a 40 yard TD off a read fake in Hawaii, and his arm looked plenty healthy too.

Big mostly veteran OL lined up against Konaweana as: LT J Garofalo (Jr 6-4 290); LG A Flores (Sr 5-10 260); C T Villarreal (Sr 6-3 260); RG J Hand (Jr 6-2 280); RT T Mirabella (Sr 6-4 290).

Mavin Andersen and 6-3 SM transfer Chase Nenad will be 1-2 at WR . . . and Cortes-Rolfe, not to mention 215 lb Sr TJ Roelen at TE/HB, son of former MV basketball coach and AD Troy Roelen, who caught a 28-yard TD from Costelli.
RedPillWonderland wrote: Tyson Scott definitely played, he scored twice ...

https://w.hudl.com/profile/9815981/Tyson-Scott

But it does look like Cash is still in the CIF “portal” lol.

That’s sucks about Burns too, he is the CIF 300m hurdles champ and probably their best DB. Hopefully he can be healthy for track at least. What are the injuries for he and Gold? Must be serious if they are out the entire year.

They were already a bit thin and there were some questions about the secondary in comparison to the talent in the front.

In the grainy clip I saw of the D from the HI game, Reece Bailey and Ryder Fitch were at CB with three safeties in Ryan Nichols, James McDonald, and Trae Chappell. That’s a ton of young or inexperienced guys back there. Is the sophomore kid Armon Fuller getting any run at CB?
Playthegame wrote: Correction Burns is good to go, info was old and I got it wrong, although he was out due to ankle, but he will play this week. What I meant by under wraps was I was not even aware of some as did not participate in CC scrimmage and I did not make the trip to Hawaii and only reason not suited would be injury or not cleared...glad to have Burns back in the secondary...will have more this eve.

Mcdonald is a Sr. Listed @ 6-0 175, Fitch is Jr. 5-10 170, Burns Sr 6-3 195, Bailey Sr. 6-2 180
MOVING THE MV DISCUSSION OVER HERE

@PTG - Ryder Fitch (younger brother of former SM all Trinity Lg LB Caden Fitch) was 2nd team all SCL last season and Burns is a big/fast athlete who has experience, but I don’t believe Bailey and McDonald have started much if at all before this season (inexperience), and juniors Nichols and Chappell (and maybe Fuller) are getting their first significant snaps are they not? (youth and inexperience).

I’m sure they’ll grow as the season goes, but I was essentially building off your points/comments from the CC scrimmage that this secondary is still coming together and has a ways to go.
Last edited by RedPillWonderland on Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daddyooo

Post by daddyooo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:33 pm

something people forget: The north side of Dove Canyon/Robinson Ranch/Rancho Cielo are in MV's attendance area-as is SM itself. South end of Dove Canyon is Tesoro (the district line goes roughly through the Dove Canyon clubhouse). All of Coto de Caza is Tesoro.

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:09 pm

Gold in a cast, interesting re; T. Scott was at CDM with Booty, went with Booty and Co. to Texas to become IMG central, then the Christian school decided that model was not for them and pulled the schollie’s and a number of kids that packed it up moved back and TScott antd Anthony Davidson are at MV and Booty at JSerra...everybody else cleared good to go including Cash and MV will be at full strength sans Gold...

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Long history of Fitches at MV going back to Jake the Snake (QB), 1996/7, Matt and Colton...so not sure if related but just thought I would see if anyone knows...

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:40 pm

Playthegame wrote: interesting re; T. Scott was at CDM with Booty, went with Booty and Co. to Texas to become IMG central, then the Christian school decided that model was not for them and pulled the schollie’s and a number of kids that packed it up moved back and TScott antd Anthony Davidson are at MV and Booty at JSerra
The kid youre thinking of re: Booty and Cornerstone Christian School in San Antonio is actually Jereme Cortes-Rolfe.

https://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/inte ... -football/

I don’t know about all the IMG Central stuff and revoked scholarships, but Cortes-Rolfe did return to CA and choose MVHS while Booty headed to JSerra. Mission indeed got the Texas 2 for 1 with Jr DB Tony Davidson transferring in as well

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 pm

SOLID RP, got the dope second hand at practice, from a very credible source, but obviously when I said the kid from Texas, Scott, he must not have heard that part and it’s that grade school game of telephone and so thanks for clearing that up. But there were three who came back, Davidson was the other name and Booty. The story was Booty’s dad bundled a bunch of kids up, the IMG model was cited, scholarships pulled etc and they came back. Glad you could clear that up! Have to say most of the pieces in place with Burns back. Was in the film room today then walk thrus, I was eyeballing, I was concerned after CC scrimmage but not so much now, we’ll see, everyone healthy, kids on point with questions etc when diagramming, they have some new wrinkles, which I loved, they are going to mix it up, Eagles will have their work cut out for them...

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 pm

One last thing, new lids for the Diablos, White Riddell’s...

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Easton Mascarenas looked very good in the Konaweana game, active and aggressive. Diablos with a good LB crew of the 220 lb junior Mascarenas, Sr David Meyer At 6-3 215, and 205 lb Jr Brendan Warady.

Of course the DL is one of the best in the Southern Section, led by Sr Lance Keneley (6-5 247) with 20+ offers, Sr DT Keanu Tanuvasa (6-3 240), Jr Nose Micah Carreon (6-1 275) and of course the former SM Eagle all Trinity Lg transfer Logan Schwenke (Sr 6-3 240). There’s also depth with 6-3 240 junior Roee Lachmish and young sophomores like Israek Faamatau and Brenden Pitassi.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:41 pm

On film from the REV game, although it was an easy win, SM has some questions on the OL. Which is unusual for that program. Not a lot of success running the football. Some young kids playing a lot of snaps though, so there will be some growing pains. Lineup went like this:

LT Zach Morris (Jr 6-2 275)
LG Jason Schillig (Sr 6-3 280)
C Killian OConnor (So 6-1 255)
RG Thomas McClure (Sr 6-3 240)
RT Joseph Beccera (So 6-2 265)

Jr Roman Sergi (5-10 265) rotated in at RG, and the Eagles actually gave freshman Jalani Liva (6-2 280) some snaps at tackle as well. Morris and Schillig looked strong but the rest of the group will have some work to do as the season progresses.

Tough matchup for them this week with that loaded Diablo DLine. They won’t have much of any size advantage in the trenches, which is also not something you see very much from an SM line against a public school.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:28 pm

I thought QB Colt Fulton looked really good against REV. 6-4 almost 200lb lefty kid, stands tall in the pocket, decisive, strong arm, good release, some gutty throws. Not the most accurate but he’s ready for his moment after starting at Sandy (UT) Pleasant Grove and then spending a year under Matt Logan at Centennial after moving to CA.

Eagles offensive skill group includes:

RB Nick Barcelos (Sr 6-1 215)
WR Tyler Wetmore (Jr 5-11 175)
WR Michael Buckley (Jr 6-0 166)
WR Joshua Contreras (Sr 6-2 190) (also a QB)
WR Ian Grogan (So 6-0 175)
TE Billy Oberholtzer (Sr 6-0 215)

Barcelos ran hard despite not having a lot of lanes. Wetmore was really impressive v. REV and had a nice TD catch. Buckley and Contreras also looked good in SM’s mostly 10/11 personnel spread offense. Will be interesting to see if they truly commit to slinging the ball around as much as they did against REV (244 pass yds, only 102 rush).

Jr Chris Reynolds rotated in at RB and in the slot, and Sr Trey Prenovost (#8) got some snaps at HB/TE.

Fulton could have some success against the Diablo secondary, but he will need protection from that pass rush in order to do so, which may be too tall an order for this OL. Eagles put up 33 points (27 on offense), but were only 4-11 on 3rd down and had 2 TOS. Will be interesting to see if they are able to have some balance in this one or if Vieselmeyer just decides to put it in the air as much as possible.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 pm

SM Defense v. REV:

DE Cole Maihen (Sr 6-4 220)
DT Tyler Hartigan (Sr 5-10 240)
DT Derek Wilkins (Jr 6-5 250)
DE/OLB Greg Doyle (Sr 6-3 235)

LB Drew Sulick (Jr 6-0 195)
LB Anthony Comestro (Jr 5-10 200)
SS/Nickel LB Tyler Whitman (Jr 6-0 185)

CB Mark Ard (Sr 6-2 180)
CB Keanu Kama (Jr 6-2 180)
S Mitch Messier (Sr 6-0 180)
S Shane Cova (Sr 5-11 180)

Soph Jalen Jones (5-8 165) rotated in at safety.

Keanu Kama had an extremely impressive 55-yard pick-6 against REV, making a nice INT downfield then weaving through traffic and racing down the sideline for the score. Ard is back after he inexplicably transferred to Bosco, realized over the summer he was not going to play and would be buried on the depth chart, and smartly returned south to RSM. He and Kama might be the best TL corner tandem outside of MD and SJB.

Not much size anywhere on this defense, will be impressed if they can make it through the Trinity gauntlet healthy, carrying 3 LBs at 200 lbs or less. They could actually use a kid like, say, Logan Schwenke.

I wonder if anyone knows what is happening with junior LB Jack Marta?? He was part of the OLu Lancer package deal that transferred to Bosco way back in the winter, with Logan Loya and AJ Gatto. Like Ard he also realized over the summer that he had no shot to play at SJB after the Braves brought in 6-7 other linebacker transfers this offseason alone, and checked in to SM this summer. He is still listed on SM’s football website, but disappeared today from their MaxPreps roster. Not sure if he is still enrolled at SM, in the proverbial transfer sit out portal, or lost in the Twilight Zone. They could certainly use a 6-2 215 LB with TL experience (at multiple schools).

Should be noted that the Eagles did force 4 REV turnovers, including 3 INTs, held them to 3-12 on 3rd downs, and 285 total yards. MUCH bigger test tomorrow night against Chad Johnson, Costelli, Mavin Anderson and that WHITE HELMET Diablo offense.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:14 am

With the Diablos lethal front 7, i think they should keep the black helmets.
That front 7 is the cornerstone of that team. MV will dominate SM, no matter the color of the helmets.
I guarantee you, SM wont have much time to throw, and wont have many lanes to run in, dont have the speed to get to the outside either. Though the MV secondary is untested and somewhat new, SM WONT be able to go through reads
as time will be minimal. I expect full press coverage, and bring the heat from the Diablos.
The following week, is what im looking forward to. Clark Phillips, vs Mavin Anderson, LH wideouts vs MV secondary.
After watching LH trenches take on a big and aggressive Upland Defense, i expect that game at the New LH stadium
to be a game to watch. La Habra seems to be like a team that has alot of upside and depth, with a chain holding them from completly going bizerko. They are a very vicious team this year, with alot of swag. Cant wait!! :steam:

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:44 am

Probably toughest game on MV schedule. Anyone else smell that...smells like blood...

No doubt going to be a play-off vibe affair, LH loaded with dudes, well coached, familiar programs, straight up ball brawl...see you at the pit!

Should be game of the week!!!

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:10 am

hit the lights wrote: La Habra seems to be like a team that has alot of upside and depth, with a chain holding them from completly going bizerko. They are a very vicious team this year, with alot of swag.
@HTL - Speaking of vicious, is Highlanders RB Brandon Vasquez OK to go this week after that WWE super suplex that Upland superstar LB Justin Flowe put on him?

I heard the kid was having some fun with going viral for all the wrong reasons lol. Hey, he may have taken a loss on that play, but they got the W!

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:20 pm

Playthegame wrote: I was concerned after CC scrimmage but not so much now, we’ll see, everyone healthy, kids on point with questions etc when diagramming, they have some new wrinkles, which I loved, they are going to mix it up, Eagles will have their work cut out for them...
Playthegame wrote: One last thing, new lids for the Diablos, White Riddell’s...
hit the lights wrote: With the Diablos lethal front 7, i think they should keep the black helmets.
That front 7 is the cornerstone of that team. MV will dominate SM, no matter the color of the helmets.
I guarantee you, SM wont have much time to throw, and wont have many lanes to run in, dont have the speed to get to the outside either. Though the MV secondary is untested and somewhat new, SM WONT be able to go through reads
as time will be minimal. I expect full press coverage, and bring the heat from the Diablos.
I’m going to take Mission in this edition of the South County Transfer Bowl. I think it will be more competitive than some might think, and more than the respective local rankings might indicate.

In addition to the teams not being that far apart in talent in many areas, and SM being a Trinity Lg team, there are several intangible motivational factors that will make the Eagles play with just a little more edge against their public school neighbors to the north. Not the least of which is Chad Johnson and MV continuing Farmer Bob Johnson’s long-standing tradition of raiding RSM for the Eagles’ best players.

I also think Colt Fulton will find some coin attacking that Diablo secondary. Given Mission’s normal fast starts, SM will likely be trailing for most of this one, and they already look like they’ll be a heavy passing offense this season anyway. So it could be higher scoring than imagined.

But I think Mission will prevail by forcing some turnovers and sacks, including by former Eagle Logan Schwenke, and by getting big games from the offensive former Eagle connection — Costelli to Nenad. I could be wrong but I don’t think SM has enough horses on D, and Nenad might even end up catching the go ahead TD if this is close — if Costelli doesn’t run it in himself.

Either way, it’s a good early season matchup that should tell us a lot more about these teams than we could get from their first games (even if it is a blowout for the Diablos). I hope this continues in perpetuity as an annual rivalry, especially if Chad Johnson and Brent Vieselmeyer have long tenures (more likely for CJ in that regard).

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote: Chad Johnson and MV continuing Farmer Bob Johnson’s long-standing tradition of raiding RSM for the Eagles’ best players.
Well at least they are with in MV's attendance boundary...nice scripting, every mystery needs some tension real or imagined...

Nobody taking the eagles lightly in this one, and over the years great games in the past. People talk about the Eagles win over SC for the title years back, but the semi was a 1 pt deal against MV the week before and If I am not mistaken that year three of the four semi finalists were SCL and three of the teams were with in a 5 mile radius of each other...

There was an epic game played at SBJC when Tre Madden was playing, Jacot was HC, and that was a 3 pt SRO gig, in both instances SM was the victor!

SM's only shot is to pass, the one dimensionality will limit the effectiveness of passing attack and is likely where the wheels come off for SM. Eagles will have trouble moving the ball on the ground.

MV will have DLS common opponent St. Mary's a few weeks down the road and flip a coin as to the tougher game between LH and the other SM...but right now all eyes are on the Eagles, great story, gritty under Dawgs and
RedPillWonderland wrote: Colt Fulton
has the keys to car...time will tell how far he can take his up start Eagles...

Exocet 98

Post by Exocet 98 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:27 pm

I live in EastBrook, a mile to Trabuco Hills High. I will be walking to watch this game. :mrgreen:

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Exocet 98 wrote: I live in EastBrook, a mile to Trabuco Hills High. I will be walking to watch this game.
Hmmm ... sounds like a live update volunteer???

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:27 pm

I think mv will win this one and not sure it’ll be too close. Sm isn’t super strong along the lines and they don’t have anyone who will wow you at the skill positions. Some solid players but no game breakers anywhere. Their secondary has some decent players with Kama and ard. I do like vieselmeyer. Thinks he’s both a good coach and a very nice guy. To me, he’s easily the best coach they’ve had since Welch but he doesn’t have much to work with this year