Mission v. SM 2019: The Costelli/Schwenke/Nenad Bowl

Playthegame

Re: Mission v. SM 2019: The Costelli/Schwenke/Nenad Bowl

Post by Playthegame »

insidetrinity wrote: I do like vieselmeyer. Thinks he’s both a good coach and a very nice guy. To me, he’s easily the best coach they’ve had since Welch but he doesn’t have much to work with this year
I think that is THE STORY! Great to have him there!
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

RedPillWonderland wrote: Hmmm ... sounds like a live update volunteer???
MaxPreps, MV usually has pretty good coverage for updates some photos etc...

I think on PrepZone as well...
RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland »

Playthegame wrote: I think on PrepZone as well...
Is there a direct link to the live streams tonight on Prep Zone that you can post here?
RedPillWonderland

insidetrinity wrote: Sm isn’t super strong along the lines and they don’t have anyone who will wow you at the skill positions. Some solid players but no game breakers anywhere.
Re: gamebreakers they surely could have used Isaac Jernagin and his brother on both sides of the ball, but they went back to Bakersfield almost as quickly as they arrived in South OC.

I do like Wetmore and Buckley, but they are more along the lines of the typical SM possession WR (basically unrefined versions of Cracraft/Sweet).

On the lines, it would certainly help Coach V and staff if Brody Crane and Schewenke we’re still around.
insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity »

Final is 21-10 mv. Believe it was 21-0 at one point. Neither teams offenses were particularly good, especially Santa margaritas.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

Mission won. SM covered the spread.
RedPillWonderland

Diablo offense actually looked great ... for a half. 21-0 at break. Diablo backs Scott and Robertson unsurprisingly ran wild, had 215 rush yards at the half (!), incl the 99 yarder for Scott (!!). That may be a school record lol. Costelli was 5-5 passing for 84 yards in 2 quarters before hitting the skids.

Mission D held SM offense to 10 yards on 10 carries in the first half; with ZERO passing yards, which is an unbelievable stat line. Also knocked Colt Fulton out of the game. It got really ugly after that for the SM O. I wonder who replaced Fulton; I believe Jordan Holmes was the backup v REV, with the Alta Loma transfer Josh Contreras playing WR (listed as a QB).

SM Defense battled, give them credit; held the Diablos scoreless in the 2nd half. Shane Cova with a scoop and score off the Derek Wilkins FF; NT Tyler Hartigan with an INT of a screen pass led to a FG (offense actually lost yards in the red zone). If the D can play that way all season, they’ll at least give themselves a chance ... against OLu.

Ugly second half for Chad Johnson’s playcalling and Costelli’s quarterbacking.

Becoming clear already that there will be absolutely no D1 challengers for MD and Bosco this season, and it’s looking like the South Coast Lg may be a wide open race again.
Last edited by RedPillWonderland on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedPillWonderland

And shout out to Exocet for reporting live with the play by play analysis lol
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

daddyooo wrote:Mission won. SM covered the spread.
Mission got exposed as non contenders. They had every advantage (size, speed,skill) in the game and got dominated by a bunch of 225lb defenders in the second half.

The QB’s for both teams were beyond awful in the second half. Both had trouble completing (or even getting off) passes.

MV had trouble with simple things like punting and stupid penalties. SM had players running all over the field looking confused or staring at the sideline.

One of these teams was considered a Division 1 challenger. Now neither are. Both teams would be 50+ point underdogs to MD/Bosco and are basically playing out the schedule before those inevitable throttlings.
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

That said by the end of the season MV more up side, not sure their were any contenders other than the big two and most already knew that. I know 1 thing, slammers for everyone on Monday, for all the unnecessary penalties, LH is legit and if MV O line repeats that second half effort and D line commits roughing passer and hits after whistle like tonight...MV will be 2-1 by next Saturday...
2002tony

Post by 2002tony »

dont be that guy wrote:Mission got exposed as non contenders. They had every advantage (size, speed,skill) in the game and got dominated by a bunch of 225lb defenders in the second half.

The QB’s for both teams were beyond awful in the second half. Both had trouble completing (or even getting off) passes.

MV had trouble with simple things like punting and stupid penalties. SM had players running all over the field looking confused or staring at the sideline.

One of these teams was considered a Division 1 challenger. Now neither are. Both teams would be 50+ point underdogs to MD/Bosco and are basically playing out the schedule before those inevitable throttlings.
LOL..you are too funny DBTG...Mission was exposed....only in your mind maybe... can you tell me of anyone who knows anything about high school football that would have MV as a "CONTENDER" and doesnt know that there are only 2 horses in that contender race..

No one in the trinity league is a "CONTENDER" either if the school is not MD or Bosco. Based on being a "contender" Its a two team league with the rest of them there just to fill the schedule to keep traveling expenses down from having to play out of state teams.

And it is only the 2nd game of the season, there is going to be mistakes.
templar83

Post by templar83 »

2002tony wrote: And it is only the 2nd game of the season
Exactly Tony, a long, long way to go. And IMO League will present challenges for both MD and Bosco beyond playing each other. Servite is for real and so is JSerra. Servite in particular will put points up against anyone and JSerra is big and strong and well coached. Not that it matters in the long run, but it is highly doubtful MD will come into League play undefeated ( again IMO ). Regardless, the mix of Bosco, MD, Jserra and Servite will make for some exciting, competitive games upcoming. Gonna be fun.
daddyooo

Post by daddyooo »

the MD game at Peoria Centennial will be very interesting (I will attend live as I now live about 10 miles from PC). Long bus ride, 100 degrees plus at kickoff, an opponent with a history of beating big time programs (Bishop Gorman, St Thomas Aquinas), full house. Trap game if there ever was one.
dont be that guy

Post by dont be that guy »

2002tony wrote:LOL..you are too funny DBTG...Mission was exposed....only in your mind maybe... can you tell me of anyone who knows anything about high school football that would have MV as a "CONTENDER" and doesnt know that there are only 2 horses in that contender race..

No one in the trinity league is a "CONTENDER" either if the school is not MD or Bosco. Based on being a "contender" Its a two team league with the rest of them there just to fill the schedule to keep traveling expenses down from having to play out of state teams.

And it is only the 2nd game of the season, there is going to be mistakes.
I’m sorry. You are right. They were never a contender. I guess it was wishful thinking that we wouldn’t have a repeat of the last few years. Another team has to step up.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

rpw-
LOL, Yeah Bandon Vasquez was more than fine after that play, where FLOWE should have been ejected again.
Vasquez went on to score another TD and outrun the entire Upland D. He did it a couple more times vs REV too.
So yeah, he was good, actually great. :giggle:
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

RedPillWonderland wrote: the South Coast Lg may be a wide open race again.
I think it is wide open and I think Tesoro (10-0 as freshmen,) will be number two...hopefully for MV fans, and SC cannot be overlooked.

Just great football on tap this season, even with the paradigm of TWO. JS and Servite are very strong programs now, Grace Brethren (Whacked Oaks C.) CDM, LH have one of their best teams this year so just some great OC football this season...
SuperMonster

Post by SuperMonster »

I agree. This year is looking like a great football season for the OC teams. A lot of question marks and promise. In the SCL and SVL, Tesoro is 2-0 with a combined score of 90-13 but against two very marginal teams. SC squeaks by OSide but throttles TP without a D1 QB. SJH barely loses to OLu but throttles Capo. Mission is 2-0 but with some question marks.
hit the lights

Post by hit the lights »

MV-
Tesoro
SJH
SC
south coast looking good

Sunset-
CDM
Edison
Los Al???

Trinity-
MD
BOSCO
JSERRA
SERVITE
CREAN LUTHERAN
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

Orange Lutheran? yah?
Playthegame

Post by Playthegame »

I think if SM get's Fulton back they will take Olu, SM is pretty physical, they'll punch you! My word...on that. Part break down on MV's part last night, part adjustments on SM's part. But you take them lightly at your own risk...