Evaluating (Mythical) National Title Contenders

MDDad

Re: Evaluating (Mythical) National Title Contenders

Post by MDDad » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 am

Whether people want to "recognize" them or not, St. John Bosco has a legitimate claim to a 2013 national championship:

Bosco was named #1 in two of the seven major polls: Calpreps and Massey Ratings
Booker T. Washington was named by four polls: Maxpreps, Prep Force, USA Today and Prep Nation
Allen TX was named by one poll: High School Football America

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:20 pm

MDDad is correct - you only have to crowned #1, by just ONE of the seven major recognized high
school football poll(s) to be able to hang up a "National Champions" banner so all three,
St John Bosco, Booker T. Washington and Allen TX can have the honor for that year.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:51 pm

thats making me feel somewhat better now, feel it should be end of discussion regarding the 2013 Bosco team, but I also wanted to ask, did the 2013 Bosco team members, receive National Championship rings as well? Because I know the 2017 and 2018 MD team did.

dntn31

Post by dntn31 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 am

MaxPreps and High School Football America have both named SJB as their Mythical National Champs.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:49 am

Interesting since the season isn't even over yet
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:51 am

What does that have to do with anything?

Kuppster

Post by Kuppster » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 am

Its called being bitter still @joefutbol

BB bos

Post by BB bos » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Its a basic math problem team B C D E Nor F can earn enough points to over take team A

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Kuppster wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 am
ts a basic math problem team B C D E Nor F can earn enough points to over take team A
You would think so but that wasn’t the case last year. MD was #1 prior to beating DLS last year. North Shore, TX overtook them in I believe the USAT poll. So MD was not unanimous. I’m not saying it will happen to Bosco this season but last year is precedent and people love undefeated teams so Duncanville or St Thomas Aquinas could be at the top in some polls. I hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:42 pm

North Shore should be the favorite in that one anyway, so that probably won't be an issue. Didn't STA finish their season?

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Yes STA finished their season yesterday so I guess you don’t need to worry about them. It’s just if Duncanville wins. I don’t know if they would overtake Bosco (unless USAT repeats what they did last year) but I would expect Duncanville to overtake MD in some polls.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:18 pm

looks like its a possibility, keyword, possibility, that Bosco will finish ranked number 1 in multiple polls like last years 2018 MD team did, but not unanimous in every poll like the 2017 MD team did, but still, this Bosco will have finished ranked number one in more polls, being more decorated than the 2013 Bosco team did. So in the end, will go down as the best team in Bosco's history.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:36 pm

joefutbol wrote: What does that have to do with anything?
As OOS pointed out, it had to do with everything just last year, weren't you paying attention?
BB bos wrote:Its a basic math problem team B C D E Nor F can earn enough points to over take team A
Has nothing to do with math. The Calpreps ratings and others that are computer based likely will stay with SJB, but the human polls (Maxpreps' "Xcellent 25 Writers' Poll", for example) could change. They did last year when enough of them voted for North Shore and they jumped several places in the poll to #1 after the season was actually finished. It was reported to be a "protest vote" over transfer policy gripes...

Interested to see whether they do it again this year as SJB had a ton of transfers this offseason and their 2nd best player transferred in just for his senior year...what's the harm in waiting a few days to find out?

FYI, the Xcellent 25 poll and USAT currently have Duncanville #3 while PrepNation National Prep Football Poll and Prep Force Expert Picks have them #2...any questions JoeF?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Who cares? Bosco will be #1 in enough polls and they will put up a banner regardless of whether it is unanimous or not. It’s a silly debate and no one really cares.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Yeah, 135 posts including yours, but no one cares... :giggle:

All I said was the season's not over yet...and I was right
George Will

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:36 pm
As OOS pointed out, it had to do with everything just last year, weren't you paying attention?
Yeah, I was paying attention last year when I raised the same point you just did. Except last year you had the complete opposite opinion on the matter when it was Mater Dei and not Bosco being crowned national champions, and that was with two games left in the season and not just one. Color me shocked.

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:26 pm

nevertheless, i'm sure the Bosco community, faithful, is happy and excited that the 2019 Bosco team, is more decorated than the 2013 Bosco team in terms of finishing ranked number one in more polls

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:41 pm

They aren't more decorated. The other teams aren't the same and you can't compare them as if they were. I'd take the 2013 team all day.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:52 pm

joefutbol wrote:Except last year you had the complete opposite opinion on the matter
Oh really? What opinions of mine (last year and this) are you talking about?
George Will

Donald Trump

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:36 am

Omar is correct.... computer polls will have Bosco and MD as 1 and 2, respectively. Human polls could pick Duncanville. It happened last year where the human polls flipped after MD beat DLS and North Shore beat Duncanville on a miracle last play. There are people out there that have a hard on for Texas.
Bosco is POTENTIALLY in the exact same boat this as MD was last year...... a 1-loss CA team that is number 1 in every computer poll compared to an undefeated Texas team.