[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
Lower Level Dynasties being forgotten - Orange County Forums

Lower Level Dynasties being forgotten

broman

Lower Level Dynasties being forgotten

Postby broman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 pm

With all the focus on the Trinity League and the primary source of OC football history the Register doing a 1/2 arse job, shifting demographics of neighborhoods, the end of long term coaching tenures, schools that a good run at CIF titles and league championships are being forgotten....

El Modena in the mid 80's
Foothill in the mid 80's
Santa Ana Valley mid 70's
Saddleback mid 80's
Bolsa Grande 84/85
La Quinta mid 80's
Sunny Hills late 80's

to name a few...

RedPillWonderland

Re: Lower Level Dynasties being forgotten

Postby RedPillWonderland » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Respectfully disagree on OC Varsity. I actually think Albano and Fryer and their skeleton staff from the Register do a fantastic job covering local HSFB, in a county of more than 3 million people. Including consistent, interesting and in depth stories and coverage of non-Trinity Lg, non Mission Viejo schools.

If it weren’t for the Register’s great coverage, most people wouldn’t know about lower division stars like the Savage brothers at Anaheim Western, or get information of every league in the county from D1 down to D14.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 pm

I agree with both of you. All of the local writers do a fantastic job, considering the state of the news business these days.

But it is an interesting subject. I see it all the time when I'm doing the football pool and I see schools that were untouchable when I was in school actually losing to schools that even our ragtag first-year team could beat. Demographics and schools splitting because of population growth have had major effects. And they'll probably continue to.

And thanks for the explanation on why Western is looking so strong this year. That's the kind of play-what-you-got, enjoy-it-while-you-have-it nature that's high school football to me.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:43 pm

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:52 pm

I dont know where you get your info from...but Ricky Morrison is Norcos starting DB....he is not at Western

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:02 am

That came from Cassius Savage and the OC Varsity Guy ...

... but you’re right, had not checked in with you, the Norco plug, to get the updated info on Morrison pulling himself out of the transfer portal between July and the start of the season (I guessAlbano hadn’t either). Point stands re OC Varsity having great coverage, including for Western (all homegrown) and the Savages.

Mea Culpa RR!

MDGuy

Postby MDGuy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:25 am

I remember when the Garden Grove Santiago versus Bolsa Grande was THE game in OC in the mid/late 79s. Many people don’t even know OC has a Santiago HS.....

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:01 pm

also, before Garden Grove HS won a CIF title in the 2010 season, I believe Bolsa Grande HS, was for many years, a while, the only team in the Garden Grove league to have won CIF in Football, which was a shock and surprise for many, because Bolsa Grande has historically, had one of the worst football programs in OC history, I don't believe they have made the playoffs since 1987, but they did win a CIF title in 1986.

hocyouthguy

Postby hocyouthguy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Cool thread! El Toro used to be a force, too, in the 80s, and Capo Valley wasn’t bad, either. Heck, Marinovich chose (Marv, that is - you didn’t think I meant Todd, did you?) Capo as where to land after MD (which was an upgrade as MD was crap pre-Rollo - which I know better than anyone as Gary McKnight would make our PE classes do push-ups Monday morning for every point the football team lost by the previous Friday...Good times)

broman

Postby broman » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Speaking of Rollo. Looking at the OC football book that came out in 2008, he is the only guy left out of the long time coaches followed by Case at Foothill and Mazzota at La Habra. Johnson, White, Brinkley, Henigan all retried.

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Don't forget John Barnes of Los Al, he was the HC at Los Al for almost 40 years, retired at the end of the 2015 season, I believe he was there 37 seasons in total, I can see Rollo lasting longer than that at MD, I can see him remaining the HC until he needs a cane or a walker.

ocfootball

Postby ocfootball » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I was a wee ball boy in the GGL back in the 70's,,,,looking up cheerleaders skirts.....

Bolsa Grande wore Kiss make up during games, the thought scared me so that years of therapy haven't cured me yet......

Also in the 70's OC football FAQ's.....

Barnes was the HC at magnolia before Los Al......

Bob Johnson was HC at Los Amigos, before ET/MV......

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:45 pm

:cheers:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1567409682607.jpg

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Antonio Brown would like to place a bid for that helmet ...

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Lmaooooo

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Dana Hills 50 - Saddleback 7. So much for dynasties, huh?

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Maybe you need to go back and read the post...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Or maybe you need to realize that I did read it. It's kinda the point of the thread, no?

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 pm

"schools that a good run at CIF titles and league championships are being forgotten....

Saddleback mid 80's".... I'm just curious how tonight score is relevant to this comment?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:35 pm

Well, if you need any help forgetting, I'd say losing 50-7 to Dana would get you most of the way there.

Return to “High School”