The Trinity League v. The United States of America

RedPillWonderland

Re: The Trinity League v. The United States of America

Post by RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:42 pm

KuppRunneth wrote: MD has Bryce. I feel like any team he's on can win against anybody.
Anybody huh? ...

FatherSonHolyHldbcks

Post by FatherSonHolyHldbcks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote: The Atlanta-area school is in a place described by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC) as “an affluent horse town on the northern edge of Fulton County.”
It’s too bad they aren’t playing this game at JSerra. Milton would feel right at home in Nellie Gail.
RedPillWonderland wrote: He has his own Sunday night radio show at a local Irish pub, called “Clack’s Corner”
Sounds like a Coach Taylor clone. I will be tuning in to the show this Sunday.

KuppRunneth

Post by KuppRunneth » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:53 pm

RedPillWonderland wrote:Anybody huh? ...

Thats just how highly i think of Bryce. I use to hate on him and thought he was overrated. It was always about DJ. But I now think Bryce will be better than DJ at the next level.

On paper, I think SFA is a double digit better team than MD. But MD has Bryce. He'll overcome.

Hoping I'm wrong

MD 31
SFA 30

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Amack001 wrote: Hey Redpill,

MD alum here, any word on Kamuta Levasa injury or anyone else coming back? MD line gonna need the full crew next week.
RedPillWonderland wrote: on Big Kamuta “Mook” Levasa, I’d be shocked if he didn’t play this week. As JB said above, the Arizona announcers called it a “game time decision” to sit him, and it sounded like a minor leg/ankle injury where they just decided to give him more rest.
RedPillWonderland wrote: Rollo needs all the blockers he can line up against this ferocious SFA front, which rotates a bus load of 4 and 5-star recruits/future All-SEC linemen. It would be a very bad thing for MD (and Bryce) to be missing both Levasa and Allen TX OL transfer Donovan Ford, who is still out with a reportedly broken leg.
Hearing that St Frances may be down a starting OL due to injury as well, as 6-5 335 3-star Michigan commit Micah Mazzucca (LG) suffered an injury against Miami Central and did not play in their last two games. May have just been a precaution to hold him out, but something to watch for on Saturday. He might be their best OL, in a group of behemoths.

Also, in a totally unrelated but serious development, Corona Centennial DE Korey Foreman, the top overall recruit in the nation for the 2021 class, apparently tore his MCL in the Huskies’ loss to San Diego Cathedral Catholic. CC free safety Charles Sims suffered a serious neck injury in the game, was removed via stretcher/ambulance, and will be out the rest of the season. Prayers up for a speedy recovery for all these young kids.

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:26 am

Don’t forget about the Trinity v LA City Section Classic, brought to you by Strati Burgers lol ...

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:28 pm

Gauchos are probably going to beat you if you happen to be on their schedule this year...

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:03 am

Isn’t there some clown on here who says that because the rosters at Catholic schools aren’t all-white anymore, they are not really Catholic? Hmmm ...

“St. Frances Academy is the oldest continually operating predominantly black Catholic high school in the country. Founded in 1828, it’s almost a decade older than the nation’s first historically black college. Named for St. Frances of Rome, a 15th-century female mystic, it was established to teach children of color to read the Bible. Mother Mary Lange, the founder, was a Cuban-born nun who also helped start the Oblate Sisters of Providence, the first successful religious order for black women; it still owns and operates the coed institution of 180 students.”

From the Washington Post article on St Frances Football

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mag ... l-play-it/

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:09 am

That WP article is fascinating:

“The small brick school is in the neglected East Baltimore neighborhood of Johnston Square, whose streets are lined with shuttered rowhouses and boarded-up buildings. The unemployment rate here is the third-worst in Baltimore, the homicide rate the city’s second highest.

“When you hear of a homicide in Baltimore, which is at least weekly, we start texting each other: ‘Does that touch our community somehow?’ ” says Deacon Curtis Turner, St. Frances’s principal, as he gives me a tour of the school’s simple white-walled chapel. Turner had just arrived in 2008 when he learned that there was a brand-new football program, thanks to a $60,000 donation from Biff Poggi, then the head coach at rival Gilman School but on the St. Frances board. “There was a lot of gang recruitment going on,” Turner says. Football was a way to keep boys busy after school in the fall.”

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:13 am

... “Poggi had led the tony Gilman School — his alma mater and one of the MIAA’s richest schools — to 13 league championships in 19 years. In addition to being a successful coach, Poggi is a wealthy businessman, and when he came to St. Frances, he brought his money with him — so far pouring $2.5 million into the football team and the school.

Poggi has put his money into more than just the football program. He spent $150,000 to supplement the salaries of seven teachers. The school hired an academic coordinator to make sure the players’ grades and SAT scores stay on track, so they can remain eligible for college ball. Players attend mandatory study hall and get weekly academic reports; any grade less than a C, and they can’t play.

With more than 80 players on the roster, nearly 70 percent of the school’s male population is on the team. The recent infusion to the football program has also been a financial boon to the school, where 67 percent of students receive free or reduced-price lunch, and 78 percent get financial aid for tuition, which with fees is about $10,000 a year.

About 60 kids are now on football scholarships. Of the roughly $600,000 that requires, about half is funded through donations, thanks to the attention the football team has received, and the other half by Poggi directly. Says Deacon Turner, ‘I joke that we’ve gone from broke back to poor.’”

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 am

insidetrinity wrote: Read an article in the Washington post about st Frances academy and the other teams refusing to play them. It’s odd that I’m Maryland they don’t have a problem admitting they recruit players. Here in California all the coaches kinda pretend they don’t recruit
... “Poggi left Gilman in the spring of 2016, having compiled a 135-43 record in 19 years at his alma mater, after a falling-out with the administration. Part of the issue was that he wanted five football recruits each year, a promise the school wouldn’t make. At St. Frances, the coaches now have 12 to 15 football recruits per year. Poggi sent his entire coaching staff to St. Frances for the 2016 season, and one of his long time assistants and former Gilman players, Henry Russell, became head coach.

Poggi himself spent a year working as an assistant head coach and special advisor under Jim Harbaugh at the University of Michigan (where his son Henry was a fullback), before returning to Baltimore to become co-head coach.”

(Per MLive.com: “Among the most remarkable details of Poggi’s season in Ann Arbor is this claim: According to Harbaugh, Poggi put down his personal credit card to pay for the team’s hotel rooms for a spring practice trip to Rome, before the trip was approved by Michigan officials.

‘(Poggi) originally put the hotel down on his own credit card, before it was approved by the University of Michigan,’ Harbaugh previously told MLive.com. ‘Biff Poggi put his personal credit card down. I told him I’d put mine down with him. Then when it came time to do it, I was like “oh, man, I can’t find my wallet there, Biff.” But no, the two of us said ‘if it doesn’t get approved then we’ll just take our family and friends to Rome.’”)

“What I said to my coaches when I came back from Michigan is, we’re going to level the playing field,” he recalls. “We’re going to make it no different for a kid to go to St. Frances than we are for a kid to go to any great school.” Other Baltimore prep schools had big endowments and rich alumni. St. Frances would have Poggi.

In just three years, he has helped build a juggernaut of a program, with players receiving football scholarship offers from the likes of Clemson, Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma.”

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am

credofriar wrote: Monarchs by 21. #coachingmatters.
... “St. Frances’s depth of talent extends to the coaching staff. There are more than 20 assistant coaches, whose ranks include Power Five conference graduates and NFL veterans, not to mention a Super Bowl champion. “Biff operates in a world of lieutenants,” says David Payne, a former Notre Dame player who coaches the Panthers’ offensive line.”

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:54 am

insidetrinity wrote: It’s odd that I’m Maryland they don’t have a problem admitting they recruit players. Here in California all the coaches kinda pretend they don’t recruit
Farmer Bob Johnson would love this last quote ...

... “ One of the biggest complaints about Poggi is his recruiting methods. Recruiting athletes is nothing new for the region’s prep schools, but St. Frances’s year-round efforts have been more aggressive than most. The coaches scout youth leagues for future stars, and they poach players from other schools. “We do recruit hard. We really go after it,” Poggi says. To be any good, you have to, he says, especially if you’re not a large public school.

But even more irksome to rivals is the out-of-state recruiting. Per Poggi, seventy percent of the team is from Baltimore, and nearly a dozen players are from elsewhere in Maryland. But at least a dozen more are from out of state — Virginia, Delaware and Pennsylvania, and as far away as Florida.

St. Frances maintains that many of these players come from communities plagued by the same ills as the poorer corners of Baltimore and can also benefit from the program. Others view the justification of sports-as-socioeconomic-uplift a bit more cynically. As one Maryland administrator told Deadspin: ‘It just so happens that all the kids who need help happen to be 6-foot-5, 280 pounds and play football.’

Poggi knows what his critics say about him. That he’s a rich white guy who doesn’t care about black kids as much as he cares about winning. That he uses his money to create an unfair advantage. Some deride St. Frances as the best team money can buy. “Well, it is,” he responds matter-of-factly. “It is the best football team money can buy.”

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:03 am

insidetrinity wrote: It’s odd that I’m Maryland they don’t have a problem admitting they recruit players. Here in California all the coaches kinda pretend they don’t recruit
Vernster52 wrote: Sounds a lot like Findlay Prep in basketball a few years ago.

Mater Dei has their hands full.
Playthegame wrote: This makes a ton of sense, just have the National High School Football league
... “Poggi rents two rowhouses in the trendy Canton neighborhood near Baltimore’s waterfront for $96,000 a year, for up to 30 players from far away or from chaotic homes. “Everyone thinks we’re just a football school, that we don’t do academics,” a player tells me one night as we sit in the living room.

It’s not just about football, though. “Our whole mission here is to use our resources to get kids into college and get it paid for,” he says. He doesn’t know if any of his players will ever play in the NFL, but they can get a college degree. His coaches’ first year at St. Frances, 14 players went on to college, 11 the first in their families to do so. Last year, 18 graduating players were offered a full or partial athletic collegiate scholarship. In 2019-20, he expects the same results.”

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:34 am

They’ve got Georgia state senators doing pep talks with the team before departure ... this JSerra game seems like a big deal for Milton lol

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:43 am

Awesome experience for these Georgia kids ...

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 am

Awesome experience for these Georgia kids ...

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 am

While Milton got a beach walkthrough in this morning up in Venice, Good Counsel was prepping for the SJB game tonight by practicing at Servite and staying in HB this week.

Troy Thomas with the hospitality gesture; maybe GC staff will share some insights with him ...

RedPillWonderland

Post by RedPillWonderland » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:07 am

RedPillWonderland wrote: One of the most important questions for this #1 v #2 matchup: will the St Frances “turnover chain” make it through TSA for the flight??
So I’m guessing this means the SFA TURNOVER CHAIN made it through to LAX?

KuppRunneth

Post by KuppRunneth » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:10 am

anyone see that tweet from Chad Johnson last night? This could be very interesting
IMG_5667.png