D-3 Football and Orange County

Newps

Re: D-3 Football and Orange County

Post by Newps » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Cdm with another 42-14 route over Cajon. Casey Clausen and Alemany staff on Cdm side taking in the game. Semi final showdown with Alemany should be a good one.

Garbers with 335yds and 6 TD to up his season totals to 58 TD and 4000yds.

Humphreys with 191yds and 3 TD to up his season totals to 1550yds and 27 TD.

Going to be a fun game to watch next week. Hopefully we get the all OC Final.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:54 pm

check, another one bites the dust. Alemany will be the best team CDM has faced this year. Great QB in Moss, RBS, Chalk and Strong., and a bunch of WR'S. They are big upfront too.
Not sure if CDM has the team speed and toughness of a caliber team as this?
La Habra has been tested vs teams better than anyone in D-3, and bring toughness and speed all over the field. I think Grace Brethren and La Habra are playing in possibly the best game D-3 has to offer.? Even though, i would love to see the all OC CHAMPIONSHIP vs two teams with all those rings. Mazzotta has 7 going for 8, which i believe would tie Bobby boy Johnson (MV, Eltoro) for the county lead.
Time will tell.? Making Liberace jelous! https://youtu.be/cnmAuwKblnc?t=15

Newps

Post by Newps » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:01 am

Based on an observers opinion who attended the Alemany/Tesoro game, Alemany does not have the defense to stop Cdm. Yes, Alemany does have an offense with many D1 guys, but they will not beat Cdm in a shootout. Cdm has not faced a QB or a team with as many offensive weapons, however, Cdm’s defense has been stout and does not give up big plays, which is the key to Alemany’s offense. Alemany is a young team too and had many muffed handoffs last week. I give the coaching edge to Cdm as well.

42-28 Cdm

I was surprised by the 35-27 LH/Edison score. Edison was way over-matched against Cdm. Would be an interesting all OC D3 Final and a Humphreys/Phillips match up.

TripleB

Post by TripleB » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 am

With the Mission vs Servite game on Fox Sports West, I recorded it and went to the Edison vs LH game. I will say Edison did a great job never quitting. In all fairness, they laid an egg against CdM (not saying they’d beat them, but it should have been a closer game).

Edison scored twice late in the game after it was 35-13. Plus LH failed to score any points despite a first and goal (poor play calling didn’t help - way too predictable).

Giving up big passing plays to a backup QB killed the Highlanders late. Edison’s WRs were scrappy and made some really difficult catches. Many other times, LH’s DBs (especially their safeties) were simply burnt badly. If their DBs don’t get it together, CdM will beat them easily assuming LH even gets past Grace.

I did hear LH’s offense slows down in the second half. So I looked at La Habra’s scoring by quarters, they in fact put up far less points after halftime. That includes taking out the fourth quarter against bad teams when they purposely slow it up.

This looks like a consistent pattern and goes back a few years. That suggests they’re getting out coached with halftime adjustments. From the games I’ve seen, they start taking a bunch of deep shots rather than sticking to what’s worked. Could also be the kids getting tired and not executing as well, but again that goes back to the coaches. They need to figure this out if they expect to win these next two games as they will need second half points to win.

I also went to the CdM game. A very one dimensional Cajon team exposed how CdM is vulnerable to the run. CdM used a small interior d-line (especially the 5’9“ 195 pound NG) and stunt their d-line to try to beat you with quickness. If you pick it up, they’re in trouble. Not sure Alemany has that kind of o-line - they look slow in some spots.

As good as Redmond and even Schlom are, Humphreys is the clear difference maker though, and CdM coaches know how to get him open even if you try to bracket him. And if you do cover him well, Garber’s accuracy and Humphreys’ catch radius essentially makes him open anyway. The kid is going to kill it at Stanford.

CdM’s defense is very aggressive (all hats to the ball) and pretty physical too. Redmond‘s pass rush off the edge is impressive when he is in there. The kid is underrated as an athlete, and gets lost on offense at times given all of their other weapons.

Alemany looks to me like the weakest overall of the four remaining teams (especially given their really weak defense). They might be without their star middle LB too. Their defense was already overmatched and this will make it even harder to pull off the upset.

Alemany also has a history of starting slow and coming from behind to win. That will not work Friday. Even if they try to get to Garbers, the kid can scramble (moves really well) and can throw dimes on the run. Helps to have skilled, athletic receivers who stand 6’3”, 6’5” and 6’6”!

I see La Habra doing just enough to beat a really strong Grace team in a very close game if they don’t keep getting torched with play action passes. CdM wins easily. I hope we see an all OC D3 final!

BTW, the championship game would be at the PIT if LH gets through. They won both coin flips per the CIF.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks for the breakdown Triple B
Once again, CDM have destroyed everyone they've played. The question is, who have they played ?
San Clemente and Edison were probably the best they played. Beat SC by 20, and Edison 42-7.
If La Habra can finish, they beat Calabasas, at Calabasas, where LH was winning with 5 minutes left in the game.
Calabasas is probably 10 points or 14 better than Alemany.
La Habra beat Justin Flowe and Upland
And lost to MV 23-6
I don't see CDM with that kind of D, but like you said LH Defensive backs other than CP3 are a huge liability.
The playaction is a killer on the LH D.
Guys running free, even
Without playaction , deep down the middle .
The LH Edison score could have easily been 42-14 if LH could finish and have better red zone production. Run and pass.
Grace will be a complete different team than CDM,
Big , up front, physical, run game, thunder and lightning, with Bennet on the outside at 6'3 180 lbs.
It's going to take all La Habra has to get by these guys, and some creative play calling. The Grace D is very suspect.
It's the defense and special teams that will win or lose this game! Gotta get stops, and put up points, a lot of them.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 am

Since I dropped in yesterday when the San Clemente news broke I thought I might add a bit of commentary for old time sake!

"Alemany will be the best team CDM has faced this year." ~ HTL

Well, one of the best yes. San Clemente is actually ranked higher at Calpreps and Maxpreps. At Calpreps SC has both a team rating and SOS rating higher than Alemany. (CDM walloped SC)

I was at the Alemany game last week, the do posses size on O-Line and have two D1 kids at QB and RB. QB Miller Moss a junior looks to be an Elite 11 guy next year. RB Chalk is a Marshall Faulk type back at the high school level yet just a sophomore. He does already have an offer from Penn State.

Moss can zip it to numerous guys. Chalk is a break the line back and he could be gone. However this team at those positions are young players, and they made many a mistake against Tesoro. In fact it was a one possession game in Q3. Tesoro had a good season but posses nowhere near the skill set of CDM. San Clemente walloped Tesoro and CDM handled SC easily. Alemany only sealed the deal in Q4.

I do expect a good game, there will be some big plays no doubt, never easy on the road and its a old school hard dirt field, I was kind of shocked by that for a private.

"Not sure if CDM has the team speed and toughness of a caliber team as this?" ~ HTL

Good thing you put a "?" so to not reply as a statement by you but a question!

So what have you seen from CDM this season that questions there "toughness"? It's pretty "tough" to get a running clock on all 5 Sunset teams is it not? Much tougher than the Freeway. According to Calpreps CDM has played a "tougher" schedule. They are 12-0 in those games on that "tougher" schedule. Is that not "tough" enough?

"La Habra has been tested vs teams better than anyone in D-3" ~ HTL

This is simply not true, yes they lost to MV and Calabasas. So if tested equals losing then you have a point with MV but not so much Calabasas. San Clemente is rated higher than Calabasas and CDM didn't lose. La Habra's best win is Upland a 6-6 team with a stellar star at LB but we are talking about teams not players.

La Habra's second best win is against Edison 35-27. Reminder, CDM 42 Edison 7. CDM also just beat Cajon 42-14, a team ranked both at Calpreps and Maxpreps higher than Edison. Let me add, CDM walloped Cajon. Cajon had size, speed, yet no "toughness"? How much speed and toughness does it take to give up 27 points to Edison on your own field?

"I think Grace Brethren and La Habra are playing in possibly the best game D-3 has to offer.?" ~ HTL

It will no doubt be a great game, perfect match-up. Yet I'm glad you put another "?"! CDM and Alemany are the two higher ranked teams in D3 as well as having the Garbers vs Moss QB match-up which is primetime viewing. Again both great games but thats what a semi-finals night should look like.

Good Luck HTL up at Royal HS. Represent the OC and publics! Is kinda ironic we will both have to get by one to see each other!

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Love the Banter Sk80!
This is why both CDM and La Habra need to play . If both Public schools can get by the Privates, we will get that All OC matchup.
Hard for me to believe that SC is much better than Calabasas or even close to winning against a team like that. It's obvious, CDM smashed them . CDM has been highly ranked all year, behind Alemany and Grace, at points during the year. Honestly, Edison looked nothing like the Edison of old, just like Los Al is not Los Al of old. La Habra if interested, turns it on. As it was 35-13 with little time left to go. Could have been worse, but unfortunately they have a bad tendency to let up in the second half. CDM finishes, and they've done it against good teams, but I think if LH plays against CDM, it will be much tougher than any league or playoff, or preaseason game they've played this year. The outcome , has yet to be seen .
Zanelli, who is just as talented as Garbers, has thrown for over 3000 yards and 42 TDs only two ints .
Clark Phillips
Chris Koontz
Brandon Vasquez
Mason West
All are D-1 threats.
LH trenches and RB's are physical and have proven to bang with success vs the big boys.
The LH D is physical and pretty young, but they have been able to bend and not break in many instances.
Special Teams, huge improvement for the Clan!
Strength of schedule, battle tested,
Preseason, but the freeway league is doing no favors in competition. Except , Sunny Hills, might just give Edison and Los Al a game.? They are also in the semi finals vs Trabuco.
Let's get past this week, and banter more the next.
Good luck my guy!

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:40 pm

SK80 wrote:
> Since I dropped in yesterday when the San Clemente news broke I thought I
> might add a bit of commentary for old time sake!

Miss it over here, don't ya?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:49 pm

hit the lights wrote:

> Love the Banter Sk80!

That makes one of you here..! Hey I see you finally passed up my post count!

> Hard for me to believe that SC is much better than Calabasas or even close
> to winning against a team like that. It's obvious, CDM smashed them .

They aren't, they are on par and equal on paper (Calpreps) as well was in my own opinion, only used to serve my point as you say, "CDM smashed them".

> La Habra if interested, turns it on, unfortunately
> they have a bad tendency to let up in the second half.

Not something to continue at this point in the year! If only they could stay interested and turned as you are all season! Your uber fandom has always been your strong trait!

> Sunny Hills, might just give Edison and Los Al a game.?

Good thing here you went with that "?"

> Let's get past this week, and banter more the next.
> Good luck my guy!

Same to you!

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:11 pm

Amen!

Newps

Post by Newps » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:44 am

HTL,

Tough loss!! I was watching and for sure thought we were gonna see the all OC D3 final. Instead, Cdm will host GB at the cozy confines of Davidson Field! That was a crazy end to the game. Does GB not have a good kicker? That was a risky play to rush for the TD with no timeouts left!

As for next week, Cdm vs GB. I think Cdm matches up well with GB. GB has given up a lot of yards and points through the air. Cdm will get enough stops on defense and win a 49-35 type of game. I don’t see GB having enough to stop Cdm’s offense. O’shea and staff are excellent coaches who are familiar with GB’s offensive attack. Cdm will load the box and make Zele beat them through the air. Henderson is a stud but Cdm has the dudes to slow him, not stop him. Like I said above, I think Cdm’s air raid will be too much for GB to handle. I think Cdm finally breaks the CIF final losing streak vs Private Schools and get the ring! Onward and upward!!

The winner of Cdm/GB will most likely be heavy favorites in the 1A regional and state game. If Sierra Canyon wins in D2, they will most likely be slotted to 1AA. In the 1A Regional matchup the SS D3 champ would be heavy favorites. Likewise the following week vs Nor Cal.

Let’s go Sea Kings! Finish this dream season. Best team in school history regardless.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:15 am

NEWPS-
Probably one of the best high school games ive seen, with the back and fourth, never giving up style game.
All until the last 23 seconds of the game. It looked like a wrap for the Highlanders, as their kicker drilled a FG to take the lead. LH drained the clock down to 23 seconds. What do you do??? KICK IT DEEP, AND PLAY PREVENT.??? NO! Kick a onside, then play man coverage. OH MY GOD!!!!
Grace Brethren was a blast from the past with a smash mouth, BIG TEN style of football. Josh Henderson # 44
was a GOD out on the field running over and through, throwing LH defenders out of his way to the endzone
as he rushed for 264 yards and 5 touchdowns. That was with a stacked box, straight up the gut.
Old school football! La Habra's Defense has always been physical and tough, but they were out physicalled last night. But the last 23 seconds was the worst nightmare senario for the clan.
Probably the 4th time they through the ball all night, #1 WR Nate Bennett, gets behind La Habra's CP3
in man coverage and mosses him for a hail mary ,on the 4 yard line. WOW! As the clock runs down to 8 seconds, there is one play left, and Grace QB sneaks it in for the win. Crazy!!! 49-45 time expires.
La Habra started very strong as they at one point had a 14 point lead, off a huge hit on Grace QB, by Daniel Barrales and scoop and score by Isaiah Rosas. The way the game was going, having the extra TD, in a game like that was going to be the difference in the end. Somehow, # 44 AND # 11 willed their way to a win, and
Earned it through toughness, and character, and making big time plays when it was needed most.
D-3 is a exciting brand of football. In a big game like this one, bonehead personal foul penalties and being undisciplined , is NOT the way to get to the SHIP! Hats off to Grace Brethren, for a classy win.
Congrats to La Habra for a good run, and fighting hard vs a very physical bunch.
That was a great game!!

Congrats to CDM on what looked like another blowout win. Garbers is unreal!
Going to be a great final, re match vs two very different teams. Just wish it could have been the all OC final.
Congrats to CDM, AND bring it home to Orange County!

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:48 am

@HTL, seriously thought you had it as i walked out of Alemany thinking it was over and "we" were on! #FeelingYou ;(

You've made some commentary in this thread that has been the achilles of the Highlanders, "La Habra if interested turns it on", "Unfortunately they have a bad tendency to let up in second half". Those are not team traits you want to carry you over a finish line. I can tell you Grace plays till the final gun.

I'm surprised how many close games they have had, the Lawndale game was the same, the two Westlake games the same..., don't think against CDM they can escape that pattern displayed to date.

Been trying to watch the Fox Sports Go replay but it keeps clipping out, maybe I'll come back later in the day and try again. When I saw the first Q score I was like WTF? OMG!

Ya Grace is a throw back for sure. Size, strength and muscle. You can see now how they have run up the divisional ranks from D8 to D4 and now have a shot at D3. Crazy. If ya'll remember the past two seasons I told ya! We found out the hard way last year and the same thing two years previous to Sierra Canyon in a double OT loss on a 2 point conversion.

Since last years loss to GB, all I have heard from the CDM guys is "We want Grace". Well we got them, and we got them at home. If you want to see another great football game get to Davidson Field likely Friday night 7 PM. You won't be disappointed.

As for a quick recap on CDM - Alemany, started off as billed, two high powered offenses exchange opening two possession TD's. Alemany has lightning speed, RB Chalk (Penn State) and QB Moss (Alabama, USC, Georgia) looked like they had everything to challenge CDM to the end. But Ethan Garbers played maybe his best game of his career, rushing first for 3 TD's then throwing 4 more. CDM took a 21-14 halftime lead.

The second half saw CDM make all the right adjustments. The "D" line got to the QB, the QB was under pressure, CDM's Chandler Fincher grabbed 2 INT's and Alemany still had no answer for CDM's offense. Again, keeping CDM from 40+ points is basically been impossible to date. Just one game in 13 under that number. And on the "D" side Alemany just the second team to get to 21, the other San Clemente.

Appreciate the sportsmanship HTL, hope we do the OC proud for all the marbles!

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:25 pm

Do it! Good luck to the SeaKings! Bring it home!

scj60

Post by scj60 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:00 pm

@HTL

That was a damn good game last night. You know I've never been a big fan of the Highlanders but found my self pulling for them. I was flipping back and forth on Prep Zone between the games but found myself sticking to that game.

Not sure what LH was thinking with that kick, And the Hail Mary....9 times out of 10 that is an incomplete pass and I can't believe the guy caught it.

Can imagine if LH had won? 4 schools within 5-10 miles of each other all going to the finals. having the 3....St. Paul, Sunny Hills and La Serna says a lot for the football being played in the area.

ShaneFalco

Post by ShaneFalco » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:51 pm

man oh man #44 Josh Henderson's straight arm on CP III was one for the ages. How much did his stock drop on that single play? Better hit the weights big time...

ocfootball

Post by ocfootball » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user-332677698/w ... -in-memory

“Where’s Jake Garcia going next year?” Ouch,,,,,
TomDrake wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:12 am
La Habra getting another transfer QB? Who do they think they are? San Clemente?

SK80

Post by SK80 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 am

Interesting listen @ocfootball, kinda an accumulation of much of what we have discussed for some seasons now coming to a head. However won't let it take precedent over this great match-up at Davidson Field on Friday night. A classic group and pound, thunder Josh Henderson, lightning Julien Stokes vs "Air Corona", Elite 11 QB Ethan Garbers and his corp John Humphreys, Mark Redman, Simon Hall and Bradley Schlom.

A rematch of last years D4 CIF-SS Championship.

Corona del Mar football faces familiar opponent Grace Brethren in CIF Division 3 title game
https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pil ... title-game
90-1.jpeg
Senior tight end Mark Redman, shown in action on Nov. 22 against Alemany, is a key part of the Corona del Mar passing attack.
(Tim Berger / Staff Photographer)

Corona del Mar High has faced few football teams all season that could slow its passing attack.

Simi Valley Grace Brethren has faced few teams that could slow its rushing attack.

The clash of styles is just one reason why the CIF Southern Section Division 3 championship game, set for 7:30 p.m. Friday at Newport Harbor High, offers intrigue. It’s a rematch of last year’s Division 4 title game, won 26-14 by Grace Brethren at Simi Valley Royal High.

This time, top-seeded CdM (13-0) has a home game at Davidson Field against the No. 2 Lancers (12-1).

Many are tagging this the "Revenge Game". I know CDM has had this potential, somewhat expected re-match circled on their calendars for a year. If you are a fan of HSF, better yet OCHSF, get out to Davidson Field on Friday Night. If yo can't, FOX SPORTS WEST is airing it "LIVE" at 7:30 pm.

"O’Shea has downplayed that word, “revenge,” but he knows that an opportunity to play Grace Brethren again is a special one.

“They’re an incredibly worthy opponent,” said O’Shea, who will try lead CdM to its sixth section crown in program history. “To try to win a title, you want to be able to beat the champion, and that’s what’s in front of us.”

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:55 pm

I think it is safe to say, the new title of one town one team, or band of brothers belongs to CDM.
CDM demolishes another opponent with local talent. Garbers and team prove that there is no match
in D-3 or possibly D-2, and might be right up there behind MD and Bosco, with this years team. 55-28 in the finals is about as convincing a win, as you can have. If La Habra , doesnt implode with 23 seconds left last week vs Grace, and is playing this game tonight at home at the pit, i'm pretty sure, the outcome would have been the same. CDM is special this year, and represented the OC very well.
CDM plays with kids who are not selfish, but play together, and for one another, while their coaches put them in good positions to win. I was impressed with the whole team of CDM.
CDM ran the ball well, something Garbers wasnt known for and #31 ran hard and was fast with good vision.
Humphries, a beast, a athlete , not just a tall guy with no talent or a decoy. CDM has no decoy's. They take what the defense gives them. They find the mis matches and exploits it! Garbers is a gamer, a winner, a leader. Great win CDM!! :cheers:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 am

I think it is safe to say, the new title of one town one team or band of brothers belongs to CDM

Congratulations to CDM, but let's not get carried away. All of their players live in CDM? And zero transfers? That's what "one team one town" infers, right?

If not, then stop with the hyperbole, they don't need it. They did great in scoring 35 2nd half points and leaving no doubt, what a turnaround from last year. Garbers was on a mission.

Congratulations again. On to state!
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump