D-3 Football and Orange County

Newps

Re: D-3 Football and Orange County

Post by Newps » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:25 am

Let’s call it “band of brothers” as one town one team is now tainted! This truly is a group of childhood bro’s that we’re not going to be denied! So awesome! Best Cdm team ever!

Newps

Post by Newps » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 am

Hey Omar, yes, no transfers and all home grown talent and yes all these boys live in “Cdm boundaries”. Fortunately and “unfortunately” its financially not possible for families to move to Cdm for sports! Imagine that! This is the best group in Cdm history! Are we going to sustain this standard of excellence on the football field year in and year out? Most likely not! However, the young men in the Cdm football program will be prepared to make an impact in society as son’s, fathers and husbands for the rest of their lives! Do we have an agriculture program, NO? We have a community who cares about the well being of our kids and a coach who turns our sons into young men who will succeed in society!

OutOfState

Post by OutOfState » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 am

Bradley Schlom did transfer FROM Mater Dei 😉 All kidding aside, congratulations to CDM. When Grace scored on the first play of the second half I thought that was going to swing the momentum and have a snowball effect. That makes it all the more impressive. Good luck in State.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:04 am

Garbers and team prove that there is no match in D-3 or possibly D-2, and might be right up there behind MD and Bosco, with this years team.

Whoa, just a second. They're good, but let's not be hasty...GB is by far the best team they've played, and according to Calpreps, before tonight CDM had faced the weakest competition of any team in the CA top 20 save one. And CDM is the only team in the top 25 whose opponents have a cumulative losing record.

So while they've run the table with the schedule they had, I'd love to see how they would do against Mission, Corona Centennial or even Servite before I see them mentioned in the same sentence with the Big 2.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:06 am

Newps wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 am
Hey Omar, yes, no transfers and all home grown talent and yes all these boys live in “Cdm boundaries”.
Well, if that's true, then if I was wearing a hat I would take it off to them. =D>
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:11 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:06 am
Well, if that's true, then if I was wearing a hat I would take it off to them. =D>
Being true, I would offer to buy you that hat to simply watch you tip it! :lol:

What you saw last night was a throw back to the day when the kids on the block whom grew up together, suited together and stayed together. They didn't run off to bigger and better pastures, they didn't take off to fond an easier path to glory. Over the past three seasons their dreams of a CIF Championship ended in a final, one in double OT and both on the road.

When many clamored they weren't tough enough, nor big enough and simply not fast enough what did they do? Nothing more than stick together and get better. This senior class literally kept their eye on the ball, the goal, the mission in light of all the doubt, criticism and more so the temptation to simply add to the chances of winning by bringing in one player that may change the final outcome of one of these games.

What you saw last night was a team running the ball against what many said was the best running team outside Trinity. CDM out rushed Grace Brethren 245-226. Senior Riley Binnquist rushed for 139 yards ripping through the line of a collective group of linemen whom play football at Grace for a sole reason. Binnquist was not even a starter on his team at the half way point of the season.

Ethan Garbers, whom three seasons ago was supposed to take a back seat to General Booty. Did he panic at the notion, bail on his team and find any easier route at a neighboring school? Nope, he stuck it out and deserves every accolade he has earned. Ethan Garbers is an ELITE 11 QB. He presently is fourth in the nation is passing yards and second in TD's. Last week at Alemany he rushed for 3 first half TD's. After the game I chided him a bit asking "what are you know a running back"? He simply answered, "Why not"! Garbers again rushed for 3 TD's in the championship game.

I've spent decades watching high school football and my alma mater. I never thought it could get better than winning state in 2013. Last night was pretty darn close. CDM earned another shot, we will find out tomorrow where they get slotted for state. Their numbers could bounce them above Sierra Canyon. CDM would bounce SC and D2 without a doubt. You are witness to one of the best high school offenses to ever suit up in Orange County. I'll reserve the right to say "state", there is more work to be done.

The small enrollment public, the local guys in a small district, the kids whom play every game as if it's on the road, a team that presently does not even have a practice field. Every week they get their instruction what other schools field they have to use. And yes @HTL, that "Band of Brothers", the "One Town One Team" guys got another date.

And I can't finish without the feather in Omar's hat, for two seasons now I have heard the calls of nothing more than a good 7v7 team, that video game offense won't fly when the pads get on. Thank you yet again to Grace Brethren's coach for reminding us with your pregame comments the other day about our 7v7 game..... shut it, 56 points on the grid with pads..., video points coach!
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 am

Newps wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:38 am
Hey Omar, yes, no transfers and all home grown talent and yes all these boys live in “Cdm boundaries”. Fortunately and “unfortunately” its financially not possible for families to move to Cdm for sports! Imagine that!
In the interests of accuracy:

In the last three school years, according to the CIF-SS database, there have been 82 student-athletes who transferred to Corona del Mar from other high schools and applied for athletic eligibility...including three members of the current football team. So it is financially possible.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Garbers and team prove that there is no match in D-3 or possibly D-2, and might be right up there behind MD and Bosco, with this years team.

Again, they aced the schedule they had but according to Calpreps they played (by far) the weakest competition among these top area teams:

SOS:

MD 60.1
SJB 61
MV 47.4
CC 46.1
Sierra Canyon 41.5
Servite 55
San Clemente 41.6
JSerra 61.1

CDM 34.4
George Will

Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Yet wins (undefeated) and margin of victory are all part of the equation. Updated a couple hours ago, check the entire picture which is the "RATING" by Calpreps. Because you may play a stronger SOS your losses on that schedule count. Playing MD and losing by 40+ doesn't make you the better team because you played MD.

CDM now is the third highest rated team (ALL TEAMS ALL DIVISIONS) by Calpreps:

Here are your TOP 10:

MD 95.9
SJB 90.2
CDM 72.8
MV 71
CC 69.6
Sierra C 62.4
Servite 60.7
San C. 57.4
Calabasas 54.6
Grace B. 54.2

So to say they are right up there Omar is an accurate assessment. Even Brethren's coach Henderson after calling CDM a 7v7 team took a more humble thought in his post game interview....

"I really think in Division 3 I put ourselves, La Habra and Alemany right near the top," said Henderson. "But Corona del Mar is clearly at a different level. I don't know who can beat that team right now." Josh Henderson, Head Coach Grace Brethren
"don't try to tell people what I think when they can read what I actually said and I won't return the favor, okay?" ~ O. Bongo

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Yet wins (undefeated) and margin of victory are all part of the equation.

But not nearly as important as who you actually played, of course

As I said, GB is by far the best team CDM has faced, there is a whole 'nother level (or two) of game above that being played here in So Cal. To mention CDM in the same sentence as MD & SJB is just plain silly. It's not their fault that they just haven't faced that kind of competition, but games against those teams would be 40-point running clock blowouts.

On the other hand, we'd all love to see CDM and MV square off...CC as well

Servite & JSerra would also be competitive, and perhaps Sierra Canyon too...

So to say they are right up there Omar is an accurate assessment.

Did you even look at the rankings you posted? Note the 20-point gap between CDM and the top two. Not even close to their league. They're obviously tier 2 along with MV and CC...

I don't know who can beat that team right now.

I got a hernia laughing at that one...you can't be serious posting that as "evidence" ROFL
George Will

Donald Trump

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:23 am

You have to give the coaches and parents, and players of CDM alot of credit.
The leadership of the coaching staff, and the chemistry and leadership of the players, really brought a special team together. Or kept them together. The parents and kids didnt bounce, like a few off the Jr class did.... a RB/LB and a QB, ETC..
Every year, its about the senior leadership. Guys who lead by example.
On the field, in the classroom, off the field. Guys who get it, it spreads, and when the coaches speak it, and also lead, for the underclassmen to see, it breeds winning. I guarantee , CDM will be good again next year.
The juniors on that team were 10-0 as freshman, but some main pieces off that team are gone. Will they return? Its pretty refreshing to see a neighborhood team win it, without all the fake news and drama.
Hats off to the coaches, players, parents, and community. OLD SCHOOL! :thumbsup:

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 am

I never said they were "there" with MD and SJB, no one is that clueless on the state of high school football. Being possibly, probably now ranked third puts them "right" there whether the gap is 1 point or 25.

We all know you love to play the semantic game and I think it's another stretch on your part to assume GB coach Henderson was including MD and SJH when he mad his comments. He is speaking at the situation on hand.

But thanks again for reminding all of us here yet again MD and SJB are in another stratosphere. We almost lost sight of that fact.

SK80

Post by SK80 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:47 am

Thnx @HTL for always being an "additive" in all the right respects to the board.

No doubt, no ifs, ands or buts, you don't lose a talented senior group like the 2019 CDM seniors and equate the next year unless you play the "reload" game that has now infiltrated the HSF landscape. I do know however the coaches, the play, the ability to compete at the highest possible level they can on the field will continue. And I can also tell you for some years now even I have accepted we just can't get better than this, yet the next years comes and we do.

Last night at MD-SJB it was simply strange pre-game, during game and after game much of the talk amongst the fan base is simply whom are we going to "GET" for QB next season, as if this season was an after thought.

Like you HTL, old school. Next man up, if you don't have one make one. Now it's let see whom we can "GET" to assure us we are better than them. So much of this game is now won in the off-season. I'm sure around here the number #1 thread will be the HSF QB one.....

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:24 pm

SK80 wrote:So to say they are right up there Omar is an accurate assessment.
SK80 wrote:I never said they were "there" with MD and SJB, no one is that clueless on the state of high school football.
SK80 wrote:Being possibly, probably now ranked third puts them "right" there whether the gap is 1 point or 25.
SK80 wrote:We all know you love to play the semantic game...
Yeah, I like to play the semantic game...:roll:
George Will

Donald Trump

WantTheNFLBack714

Post by WantTheNFLBack714 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:54 pm

even though it was D13, Esperanza won their first CIF section title since 1992, I remember their enrollment took a huge blow when Yorba Linda HS opened in 2009, before that, I remember Esperanza's enrollment was over 3,000 students.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:16 am

SK80-
Even though i may be old school in thought and wishes, lol, unfortunatley , i think for 99% of the high schools, its lost. The head coaches, and administration / AD'S,/ mixed with daddy ball, is where the game has gone. Not, the out of norm, CDM. Coaches coaching up a local community, and winning with its own kids.
Instead coaches, depend on all sorts of handlers, and recruiters to bring in kids, as barganing chips for their own kids security, or to be on the coaches good list. 7 on 7 teams, private trainers, strength and conditioning guys, etc...
How about being SELF run, having a program of your own guys , doing it your way or the highway. The coaches say, not your handlers or not the player telling the coach. OR I'LL LEAVE...LOL!
BYE FELICIA!!!
Now we coddle these Kapernick , entitled type. CDM , is hard work, determination, brotherhood, family, community.
Go get Oceanside, i see 15-0, easy!
public school :thumbsup:

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Thnx HTL we take great pride in our program not only in what we have achieved but how we achieved it.

That said, I was a bit worried when we didn't get the 1AA slot for state in regards to motivation and another chance to SHUT UP the critics. Add the Washington Husky news this week for two of our top players and I was like stay on point guys..... Today however I found a bit of inspiration and outside the locker room motivation on Twitter...... :lol:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Meanwhile, back on planet earth...

Calpreps:
neutral field
Corona del Mar 42, Oceanside 17

I was a bit worried when we didn't get the 1AA slot for state in regards to motivation and another chance to SHUT UP the critics

Um, beating a team (Sierra Canyon) that lost to the # 61 state-ranked team (Oaks Christian) and whose signature win was over the #19 state-ranked team (Grace Brethren) would hardly qualify your boys as a legitimate #3 in the state when they haven't even played anybody ranked higher than #13 (San Clemente).

I'd love to see a round robin of Mission Viejo, CC, CDM, Servite, Narbonne, De La Salle, Central (Fresno), Helix...that's your next tier.

Nice season, but CDM has no right to lay a claim to #3 until they play somebody...
George Will

Donald Trump

SK80

Post by SK80 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:57 pm
Meanwhile, back on planet earth... Yes, San Diego is on planet "Delusion". Is Helix the best they have...?

Calpreps:
neutral field
Corona del Mar 42, Oceanside 17

I was a bit worried when we didn't get the 1AA slot for state in regards to motivation and another chance to SHUT UP the critics

Um, beating a team (Sierra Canyon) that lost to the # 61 state-ranked team (Oaks Christian) and whose signature win was over the #19 state-ranked team (Grace Brethren) would hardly qualify your boys as a legitimate #3 in the state when they haven't even played anybody ranked higher than #13 (San Clemente). Um, you might want to rework your homework here. CDM has better wins than every team you mention except MV which beat Servite by 3 in a squeaker. In fact CDM is the only team you mentioned that has beaten three teams (SC, GB, Alemany) ranked in the top #200 nationally. Only MD and SJB can claim otherwise. Thus your #3 ranking. How convenient when it works for your national champs but now that you are not it doesn't really work.. right? Pffft!

I'd love to see a round robin of Mission Viejo, CC, CDM, Servite, Narbonne, De La Salle, Central (Fresno), Helix...that's your next tier. I can't emphasize enough how disappointing it was to not get to play Helix and Central. Can't cry over spilt milk now. However I will put this on the record to knock Omie out of the park... HELIX 28 CAJON 22. Ummmm..., CDM 42 Cajon 14. Round the bases. You obviously don't watch nor follow the games. CDM would roll Helix.

Nice season, but CDM has no right to lay a claim to #3 until they play somebody... Not sure where to go with this.... I know.... ROFL

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 pm

WTF are you posting replies with?

Image ???

You make a lot of assumptions that I don't make and put words in my mouth I didn't say. How 'bout just sticking to what I actually wrote...

Konrad Zuse wrote: Um, you might want to rework your homework here.
Um, it's not "my" homework, it's Calpreps CA rankings #3-#11...

Thus your #3 ranking.
No again. Calpreps doesn't just look at how many teams you played in the top 200. The formula they use is not quite so arbitrary, if you're so inclined you can read up on it on their website. See if you can make it through the whole thing without moving your lips :cool:

HELIX 28 CAJON 22. Ummmm..., CDM 42 Cajon 14.
Yeah, that's exactly how it works! And #465 Lincoln beat Cathedral who beat CC, so I guess Lincoln is better than CC too, right? And Servite lost by just a point to SJB while MD lost by 5, so if MD and Servite played...

Not sure where to go with this
That's pretty obvious. But don't feel bad, you didn't make out CDM's schedule...whomever did must have read "How To Claim You're The #3 Team In CA Without Ever Playing Anyone In The Top 100" for Dummies...

You obviously don't watch nor follow the games.
Not all of them, of course. Just the ones that matter :-"
George Will

Donald Trump